Elle

10 Years of Born to Die

I hate to admit it, but this album changed my life. Though I only discovered Lana really with Ultraviolence, BTD was my introduction to Lana's universe and for that I will always be thankful. Also, damn, the music slaps

ZKcaooE.png

Omg I remember how obsessed I was with her entire persone and aesthetic. Recently I remembered the Popcandies Paparazzi videos, there was a new one like every day in 2012. Iconic. I still remember random quotes

"Love you Lana" - "Love you Maeve" 

"What do you want, I got nothing... I got nothing, let's get Jodie" :what:

"I like to drive fast"

"You're such a bad girrrl":icant2:

GOD. 

Lana was the first musician who really made me feel music. And summer. I was obsessed with Diet Mtn Dew, the demo she uploaded to her yt channel, and also with TIWMUG, OTTR, Video Games and Radio. These 5 songs were on loop for months. 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

I hadn't heard of Lana when Born To Die was released, it would take me a bit longer until I found her and then a little bit more before I understood her music and fell in love. BTD-Paradise was my first Lana album, but I started with Born To Die since I listened from start to end.

Discovering Lana and BTD went slowly, I had to give her a few tries before simply, helplessly loving her and her songs. From then after, it's been amazing. Lana was the first western artist I discovered on my own, I was previously just listening to whatever my older brothers were listening to. Lana and her world were mine. Mine to discover, mine to obsess over, mine to lose myself in. I was living a good life, struggling with nothing but my maths grades (and, well, my parent's bad relationship and dad's slowly declining health), so I couldn't relate to her lyrics but I could feel them. I could feel her music, the production. It was like nothing I had heard before, it wasn't just a fun song to elevate your mood, not just a song you heard on the radio and liked for a few weeks. Lana was different. Boy, am I glad that I looked her up on youtube after reading about her in newspapers and seeing her face in every H&M store. Thanks to this album and to Lana, I found comfort when I was alone, a world to dive into, and friends who were there for me when my in-real-life ones seemed to had forgotten about my existance.

BTD was executed perfectly. Not a single flaw, not even in her homemade music videos. The end of Summertime Sadness and the "how does meth change our brain?" line in Carmen gave me goosebumps, and I don't think I'll ever forget the scary feelings they gave me the first time as I watched them. I still think the videos for this album are her best ones, and I think I'll continue to think so for a long time. And she just seemed so mysterious back then, like, I couldn't tell if the things she sang about were true or made up, or both, and that just made it all so interesting.

I love this album so much, and sure, at times it can sound a bit old in terms of lyrics, but it never gets old. I just know it won't. I seriously can't pick a favorite song off it or even attempt to rank a top 5 list. A phenomenal major-label debut that I will never grow tired of playing. Here's to ten more years of an iconic album!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

it's funny to think that in her most iconic era, she was the less comfortable, the more shy. 10 years from that and she has come a long way, and it's lovely to see her evolution as a person

Iconique, show-stopping, culturally significant, career defining, brilliant, never done before, long lasting impact and so on. This album IS the blue print. :true:

I didn't quite started listening to Lana when the album came out, that would be a few months later during the summer of 2012, but today feels really special. :wowcry:

27 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

it's funny to think that in her most iconic era, she was the less comfortable, the more shy. 10 years from that and she has come a long way, and it's lovely to see her evolution as a person

I was just thinking the same thing, so happy to see her be more comfortable now. :flutter:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

truly iconic, one of the greatest, ushered in a completely new wave of musical styles + writing, legendary...there are no words to describe the impact. she has evolved and perfected her style a dozen times over ever since, but this was just such a true EXPERIENCE

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

One of the most iconic and influential albums/eras of the 2010s :true: This album was at the forefront of an entire aesthetic becoming popularized, and the music is still being listened to today just as regularly as it was 10 years ago. I'll be listening to Born To Die and its outtakes all day today

imageproxy.jpg