Rust Dress

Russia’s invasion into Ukraine

This is a pretty good article about the situation in Donbass. It explans where the "nazi" accusations come from, why the people in the region are pro-Russian, etc 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-03/inside-the-separatist-republic-that-triggered-the-war-in-ukraine/100871262

The most important takeaway imo is that these so-called "nazis" make up a miniscule portion of Ukraine's forces and have basically no public support, so using that as a reason to invade is some serious bullshit (which most of us already knew)

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

This thread used to be a very useful resource for catching up with the situation but unfortunately that one weirdo Putin apologist has tainted it with her propaganda and misinformation. :wtf2: I guess I'll be using my ignore list for the first time in 9 years. 

9 minutes ago, sweetie said:

This thread used to be a very useful resource for catching up with the situation but unfortunately that one weirdo Putin apologist has tainted it with her propaganda and misinformation. :wtf2: I guess I'll be using my ignore list for the first time in 9 years. 

which weirdo putin apologist there’s been multiple of them :bye:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

I haven't been online the past two(+?) weeks, but I saw that the user who was invation friendly has been banned. Sorry that I wasn't here earlier, and thanks to the rest of the mod team for taking care of it. :heart:

I've been listening to the radio news daily, went to sleep very anxious last week after Putin lowkey thretened to nuke Finland and Sweden, and this evening it seems four Russian fighter planes crossed the Swedish border and were on their way to the island I'm currently staying at for university. (Or maybe it was earlier today when I heard some fighter planes - I simply thought they were practicing as always, they have a base for practicing nearby) My anxiety has risen again, but the best I can do in this situation is to check for the closest bunkers (did that a few days ago) and pack a bag and buy some canned soups and bottled water (I'll do that tomorrow). I don't think anything will happen, but I want to be on the safe side.

It makes me sad to hear what happens in Ukraine, and it makes me tense, but I want to know at the same time. I can't pretend nothing is happening. It makes me sad to hear Ukranians having to abandon their homes, and it makes me sad to hear Africans and Indian students be treated differently. If we have any users currently in Ukraine... I really hope you'll be safe. What is going on right now is so wrong, and I can only hope that Putin will swallow his pride and end this foolishness soon... although I have a feeling he won't be willing to do that either.

Don't trust everything you read or see online, always look up for more information or news articles if you're unsure. Let's not spread misinformation. <3

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

2 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I was up most of the night chatting to my friends, mostly in Russia but some in Belarus. They said everyone is panicking and many are trying to leave but it's very difficult because they can't withdraw money or book flights. There is no way for those of us outside to help because foreign money transfers are blocked and DHL, FedEx and UPS aren't operating so we can't send anything in. :ohno:

One friend said that this feels like the collapse of the USSR all over again. 

Sadly, this needs to happen for there to be a regime change. The people need to rise up. Putin might find himself with a civil war, too

the idea of a nuclear power undergoing civil war scares the fuck out of me. i don't want any side getting the idea it's okay to use them on the other.

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, Clampigirl said:

Putin lowkey thretened to nuke Finland and Sweden

Yo what? I hope Putin isn't that big of an idiot to risk destroying the planet over his ego.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, baddisease said:

Yo what? I hope Putin isn't that big of an idiot to risk destroying the planet over his ego.

idk if he threatened to nuke specifically but i believe putin did say something about wanting to attack/invade finland & sweden

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

idk if he threatened to nuke specifically but i believe putin did say something about wanting to attack/invade finland & sweden

If he does that, doesn't NATO have to intervene? That would be very, very bad.

I wonder if Putin has some kind of dementia or disease. None of what he's doing is rational. He's already defended the DPR and LPR, he doesn't need to expand beyond that.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

yes, i believe so, from what i've heard

damn.

I feel bad for the Russian people (not Putin). They will be destroyed if Putin opts to start WW3.

Just now, the ocean said:

is there anything new in terms of moves made by russia against ukraine and/or other countries? or has it pretty much been the same since the sanctions were placed?

Putin is trying extra hard to destroy Ukrainian cities.

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, baddisease said:

If he does that, doesn't NATO have to intervene? That would be very, very bad.

I wonder if Putin has some kind of dementia or disease. None of what he's doing is rational. He's already defended the DPR and LPR, he doesn't need to expand beyond that.

I mean the Soviet Union was forged through bloodshed; he wants to recreate it and that isn't a secret. If you listen to his speeches, there are many references and clues ("Russians and Ukrainians share a common heritage and religion", etc).

IMO he has been planning this for quite some time. People have told me that censorship has increased sharply in the past year or so. He doesn't have to "behave" now, because he no longer has big international events on the line (Olympics, World Cup).

He invaded Crimea the day after the Olympics finished, iirc.

5 hours ago, sweetie said:

2 hours ago, the ocean said:

is there anything new in terms of moves made by russia against ukraine and/or other countries? or has it pretty much been the same since the sanctions were placed?

the map i used that updated in real time with things happening stopped working for a day so i deleted the bookmark :wowcry:

ill look to see if it works again

she's alive again!!

https://liveuamap.com/

only russian movements reported is 4 explosions in Kyiv two hours ago

https://t.me/spravdi/1215

️Kyiv . The first video of the explosion

At least four explosions were heard in the capital of Ukraine.

the first explosion happened at 01:40 local time

+ aerial threats two hours ago in several cities

Mykolayiv(02:02). Red Alert: aerial threat. Sirens sounding. Take cover now!

Zaporizhia, Odessa(02:11). Red Alert: aerial threat. Sirens sounding. Take cover now!

Chernivets’ka Oblast’(02:15). Red Alert: aerial threat. Sirens sounding. Take cover now!

Odessa(02:19). Red Alert: aerial threat. Sirens sounding. Take cover now!

2 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I mean the Soviet Union was forged through bloodshed; he wants to recreate it and that isn't a secret.

eh. when Putin was in the KGB, he was member of an anti-communist faction of it. i don't think he's become a communist in his old age. unless you just mean in landmass and not ideology.

giphy.gif

25 minutes ago, baddisease said:

eh. when Putin was in the KGB, he was member of an anti-communist faction of it. i don't think he's become a communist in his old age. unless you just mean in landmass and not ideology.

Just like Trump, his ideology is what happens when fascism gets fully absorbed into the personal attainment of wealth. Unlike Trump, he's not a moron, which makes him much more dangerous.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

10 minutes ago, baddisease said:

I say all of this as a non-Russian so it's possible I'm completely wrong but I think he wants to expand his brand of authoritarian capitalism (or whatever you'd like to call it) into Ukraine. There is no other explanation. This isn't about "security" because Ukraine has never threatened Russia, and Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are right there and are all in NATO, so I don't think it's about having NATO at his doorstep (they're already there).

You're right, communism doesn't benefit him at all (at least not at this point in time - he and the oligarchs have all amassed huge amounts of wealth, and they benefit enormously from capitalism). The more land he has and the more people he can control, the more leverage he has with the West to get even richer and to do whatever else he wants. So if he overthrows the Ukrainian government he will install a puppet similar to Lukashenko. It's about influence and power.

So when I say I think he wants to recreate the USSR I mean as a unified authoritarian capitalist state. It would never be the same as before for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that he wouldn't want to have to fork out for all the stuff people were provided with under communism. He doesn't give a fuck if his people have nowhere to live and no jobs.

@The Siren I'll have a look later!

1 hour ago, longtimeman said:

Just like Trump, his ideology is what happens when fascism gets fully absorbed into the personal attainment of wealth. Unlike Trump, he's not a moron, which makes him much more dangerous.

agreed. it's worrisome bc he has an end game, we just don't know what it is.

giphy.gif