Rust Dress

Lana with Jack Antonoff at Jim Henson Studios in Los Angeles, CA - April 2nd, 2022

53 minutes ago, COCC said:

I agree with you that she defines the musical main direction of the album. But I also think that he creatively influences her - e.g. contributes his own ideas, shows interesting songs or writes melodies for her.

After all, we know what was at the beginning of NFR, when she wasn‘t even in the mood to write new songs: he surprised her with a melody and that‘s when she started getting a vision for NFR. So it is probably a mutual process.

yes! creating albums has always been a collaborative process. as lana would put it, the "muse" springs between the producer and artist in conversation, especially when creating an album from the ground up

so i think solely "blaming" jack is a bit juvenile - instead, i would be looking at the strength of the collaboration and what happened there

and of course, i would want a new producer - it's always fascinating to see what another individual brings to the table, how they challenge each other, and what they spark/inspire in her work - but in saying that, i love NFR more than anything :wipe: 

mUENGN9.png

15 hours ago, domandapiano said:

Here’s the thing with Lana and Jack: NFR pushed them to such stratospheric heights and, although both good, COCC and BB weren’t nearly as successful or acclaimed. I feel like they both want to achieve the same successes they’ve shared in the past, and I hope (and think) they know they really have to hit it outta the park if they are gonna do that. They set a high benchmark for themselves and now everything they do will be compared to NFR. If whatever they produce isn’t absolutely brilliant it will just live in NFR’s shadow. I have faith in them, though. 

No attack but you made this sound as if that's a fact when it's mostly true for the mainstream media. NFR is (in my opinion!) in no way the peak of her career musically. UV and Honeymoon (and also AKA) are. They have yet to be dethroned. The only reason why NFR is so popular is because Lana was trying to be more mainstream and was also trying to be "insta baddie" which attracted more casual listeners. The album and Lana herself were palatable and "easy to digest" at the time. But I personally don't need that. I actually came for the cinematography, the richness, the dark and controversial lyrics.

So if the new album exceeds NFR that's great but to me that wouldn't automatically make it a new career highlight.

Again, this is MY opinion but I'm sure that many longtime fans don't see NFR as her best album to date either.

And tbh - I don't give a shit about what the mainstream media and casual listeners think of her music or lyrics. I understand Lana would care (although not sure if she really does tbh) but I don't. I don't want anything careful, I want the full fucking drama. No Grammy needed.:lanahairflip2:

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

16 hours ago, domandapiano said:

Here’s the thing with Lana and Jack: NFR pushed them to such stratospheric heights and, although both good, COCC and BB weren’t nearly as successful or acclaimed. I feel like they both want to achieve the same successes they’ve shared in the past, and I hope (and think) they know they really have to hit it outta the park if they are gonna do that. They set a high benchmark for themselves and now everything they do will be compared to NFR. If whatever they produce isn’t absolutely brilliant it will just live in NFR’s shadow. I have faith in them, though. 

I think people should stop equating critical acclaim with superior music. Just like they should stop equating awards with talent.

NFR is her most accessible work to date, I don't get why some of you guys get up in arms about that. Doesn't mean it's bad or that it sucks, just means that as far as music or lyric style goes it's her most accesible or palatable album thus far, even Chemtrails wasn't as subdued or watered down, much less Blue Banisters. Which partly explains their moderate success.

Y'all  act as if before Jack came along Lana was nothing, she had no vision, her creative process was subpar or even uninteresting, her albums weren't so good or whatever and I think that's bullshit. Jack didn't make her better, he made her more accesible. 

Quite frankly tired of people acting like NFR is the gold standard of albums and whatever came prior or will come after (even if produced by Jack) will pale in comparison to cRiTaCalLy aCcLaiMed NFR. Please.

Lana was a full fledged artist long before Jack came along and she will long after as well. 

dETV4Hj.gif

23 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

they're at the henson studio i should park outside and blast the entirety of honeymoon until lana comes to her senses and fires jack.. or maybe i'll blast AKA and lizzy will wake up from her hibernation

Please come through with the second option xo

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

15 hours ago, West Coast said:

I think people should stop equating critical acclaim with superior music. Just like they should stop equating awards with talent.

NFR is her most accessible work to date, I don't get why some of you guys get up in arms about that. Doesn't mean it's bad or that it sucks, just means that as far as music or lyric style goes it's her most accesible or palatable album thus far, even Chemtrails wasn't as subdued or watered down, much less Blue Banisters. Which partly explains their moderate success.

Y'all  act as if before Jack came along Lana was nothing, she had no vision, her creative process was subpar or even uninteresting, her albums weren't so good or whatever and I think that's bullshit. Jack didn't make her better, he made her more accesible. 

Quite frankly tired of people acting like NFR is the gold standard of albums and whatever came prior or will come after (even if produced by Jack) will pale in comparison to cRiTaCalLy aCcLaiMed NFR. Please.

Lana was a full fledged artist long before Jack came along and she will long after as well. 

dETV4Hj.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! EXACTLY THIS!!

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Uhmmmm I didn't realize I was in the minority who think Jack made Lana WORSE... NFR was pretty good, but Chemtrails is a complete miss besides the title track. Blue Banisters has no structure, but she did call it a compilation album so can't complain too much on that one. but it's worth noting that the only worthwhile songs are the ones from eons ago... I'm fearful for this next album tbh, and I am not expecting anything even half as good NFR was, let alone her albums before then... I appreciate those who like the new stuff, but it's so uninteresting and bland that I've become the Lana fan that begs for "old Lana" back (and I used to hate when people did that because she never left! But can't act like stuff hasn't changed...) 

I just want real, big and inspired production again. Hearing Buddy's Rendezvous, The Last Song, and Cult Leader back to back felt like punches of nostalgia and longing for times we will never have again. So over this acoustic, stripped back mentality. Will always love Lana, but this is hardly the music and sound I fell in love with. Everything feels like only 1/10th of the effort she used to give. All-in-all I (personally, just my opinion, not saying its anyone elses) think that Lana has lost her spark. Hoping she gets it back though...

Also EDIT: I should say that I do think it's 50/50 on their end, with Jack telling Lana to strip everything back, but even Lana has had lackluster lyrics and melodies lately. Paired with next to nothing in promo and creative visions... :bebe:

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

Yea as much as I've liked NFR and Chemtrails I hate to admit that her music has felt much less inspired since Lust For Life. At least, In my opinion.. I get that it might be a stylistic choice but nothing beats her older work.. Sorry  :ma:

I could write an entire paragraph on why i feel this way but it's already been said before.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:50 PM, Betty Blue said:

OMFGGGG MUPPETS COLLAB COMING.... Barrie x Lana duets but its Kermit for LDR9

Lana singing Silent Night to the Muppets just in time for Christmas release. 

In other news I want some songs that make my body move, beat and rhythm. 

2 hours ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

Uhmmmm I didn't realize I was in the minority who think Jack made Lana WORSE... NFR was pretty good, but Chemtrails is a complete miss besides the title track. Blue Banisters has no structure, but she did call it a compilation album so can't complain too much on that one. but it's worth noting that the only worthwhile songs are the ones from eons ago... I'm fearful for this next album tbh, and I am not expecting anything even half as good NFR was, let alone her albums before then... I appreciate those who like the new stuff, but it's so uninteresting and bland that I've become the Lana fan that begs for "old Lana" back (and I used to hate when people did that because she never left! But can't act like stuff hasn't changed...) 

I just want real, big and inspired production again. Hearing Buddy's Rendezvous, The Last Song, and Cult Leader back to back felt like punches of nostalgia and longing for times we will never have again. So over this acoustic, stripped back mentality. Will always love Lana, but this is hardly the music and sound I fell in love with. Everything feels like only 1/10th of the effort she used to give. All-in-all I (personally, just my opinion, not saying its anyone elses) think that Lana has lost her spark. Hoping she gets it back though...

Also EDIT: I should say that I do think it's 50/50 on their end, with Jack telling Lana to strip everything back, but even Lana has had lackluster lyrics and melodies lately. Paired with next to nothing in promo and creative visions... :bebe:

I agree and pretty much everything I'm about to add belongs in the unpop thread:

She used to marry lyrics with music so well, but Blue Banisters is basically her diary entries with very bland background music. It's as if she got sooo caught up in her identity as a wRiTeR that she forgot that it's actually more about the music if you're presenting that writing in songs. 

I don't think this album will be anything like NFR - it's gonna be the 3rd installment of the COCC/BB trilogy. There has been basically no gap between the making of these albums and tbh you need one to get something significantly different or "new" from an artist, in most cases.

And it doesn't help that the producer she's using tends to reuse the same soundscapes and techniques over and over. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

9 hours ago, lustforlife said:

Lorde said once that the idea of solar power came from her and Jack just executed... stop to blame the king for this nuclear bomb

Totally agree that in the end, it’s always the artist’s decision. And yet, Solar Power sometimes reminds of other songs he did with other girls. 
anyways, I’m excited for their next album.

2 hours ago, TextBook said:

Is she teasing a collab with Taylor?

Back in 2018, when she posted the picture with Jack and Marina, I thought it was a sure bet and yet, they were just hanging out in the studio. So who knows?

55 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I agree and pretty much everything I'm about to add belongs in the unpop thread:

She used to marry lyrics with music so well, but Blue Banisters is basically her diary entries with very bland background music. It's as if she got sooo caught up in her identity as a wRiTeR that she forgot that it's actually more about the music if you're presenting that writing in songs. 

I don't think this album will be anything like NFR - it's gonna be the 3rd installment of the COCC/BB trilogy. There has been basically no gap between the making of these albums and tbh you need one to get something significantly different or "new" from an artist, in most cases.

And it doesn't help that the producer she's using tends to reuse the same soundscapes and techniques over and over. 

LMAO literally... I can name some lyrics from BB but if I had to play (for example) Beautiful's instrumental in my mind, it would be blank... all I can remember is a piano (and tbh thats probably all that it has)................... 

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif