Lxlita

Elon Musk's Ongoing Bid to Buy Twitter

idk what this guy's really about except tesla and being grimes' child's father and that he helped ukraine w their internet. 
it's kinda creepy that he's gonna buy all of twitter, but then at the same time, what i'm thinking about is why the audience is real worried. 

twitter's funny and is good for communication, but. socially speaking, it's also got a lot of nastiness to it. personally feeling detached from it but what's the main fear? 

UV/Honeymoon

4 minutes ago, Diamantes said:

idk what this guy's really about except tesla and being grimes' child's father and that he helped ukraine w their internet. 

also answering @DeadSeaOfMercury on this too as well don't feel like looking for the og post

he's essentially trying to get a monopoly on everything

also he has used extremely unethical methods to get where he is now, has used memes & his mental conditions to milk sympathy, and always claims that he's trying to save the world while also doing things that are actively hurting it (cryptocurrency, his family owning an emerald mine and him choosing to benefit from it even after becoming an adult, etc.)

also he's a capitalist and don't even get me started on that

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Just now, avenue said:

also answering @DeadSeaOfMercury on this too as well don't feel like looking for the og post

also he has used extremely unethical methods to get where he is now, has used memes & his mental conditions to milk sympathy, and always claims that he's trying to save the world while also doing things that are actively hurting it (cryptocurrency, his family owning an emerald mine and him choosing to benefit from it even after becoming an adult, etc.)

Not sure if the "monopoly" point really works, as Elon doesn't own any other social media companies he'd be merging with. If Zuck were buying Twitter it would work, since he is a direct competitor. 

But the rest of your points are valid (tho I don't think being a capitalist is a bad thing, but I think that makes me a contrarian here haha)

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

1 minute ago, avenue said:

i honestly dk if i even want to know any more, but basically others don't like twitter being run by just one person is it? how was twitter run before like a crew/ heads of twitter or? 
were his past business ventures like good or?  

UV/Honeymoon

4 minutes ago, Mer said:

Not sure if the "monopoly" point really works, as Elon doesn't own any other social media companies he'd be merging with. If Zuck were buying Twitter it would work, since he is a direct competitor. 

i used the wrong term oops lol - i meant that he's just dipping into literally everything (paypal, tesla, spacex, crypto, and now attempting twitter)

4 minutes ago, Mer said:

tho I don't think being a capitalist is a bad thing, but I think that makes me a contrarian here haha

i mean there's definitely pros about capitalism but obviously extreme anything is bad (and elon musk being one of the richest people in the world is definitely extreme)

4 minutes ago, Diamantes said:

i honestly dk if i even want to know any more, but basically others don't like twitter being run by just one person is it? how was twitter run before like a crew/ heads of twitter or? 

it's about "free speech" aka conservatives want to post hate speech on twitter without consequences even though it's illegal (the fighting words doctrine)

edit: that's way oversimplified and is more of a potential consequence rather than a specific reason :awkney:

3 minutes ago, Diamantes said:

Twitter is currently a public company, and is owned by many many many shareholders. The CEO must answer to the Board of Directors, and the Board of Directors must have the shareholders best interests in mind (e.g. everything that is done, must be done in order to at least attempt at raising the stock price). 

If a private party buys it, they no longer have to worry about every decision being made with shareholders/valuation in mind, and can make riskier, or more colossal changes. 

To put it in its crudest form. 

5 minutes ago, Mer said:

Twitter is currently a public company, and is owned by many many many shareholders. The CEO must answer to the Board of Directors, and the Board of Directors must have the shareholders best interests in mind (e.g. everything that is done, must be done in order to at least attempt at raising the stock price). 

If a private party buys it, they no longer have to worry about every decision being made with shareholders/valuation in mind, and can make riskier, or more colossal changes. 

To put it in its crudest form. 

so layman's terms, less of a say, and a more direct sole say, noted.

UV/Honeymoon

10 minutes ago, avenue said:

i used the wrong term oops lol - i meant that he's just dipping into literally everything (paypal, tesla, spacex, crypto, and now attempting twitter)

i mean there's definitely pros about capitalism but obviously extreme anything is bad (and elon musk being one of the richest people in the world is definitely extreme)

I mean he was a founder of PayPal, Tesla & SpaceX are his.

when you have money, The goal is to make more.

Having your hands in most markets isn’t bad if you’re able to handle it, I personally don’t like the Monopoly that is being done by Warren Buffet / Berkshire Hathaway.

I only asked because it seemed there was an extreme hatred toward Musk in your original post.

:rock:

IMG-3521.jpg

5 hours ago, avenue said:

yeah i don't think a lot of people realize that it only protects the government censoring your speech and that's only talking about the speech actually covered in the amendment itself

hate speech is illegal - it's straight up illegal it's not a loophole it's specifically stated in the constitution

it's honestly quite hilarious how most of the openly "patriotic" people in the US are actually some of the most treasonous

i agree that hate speech is bad (obviously) but i study constitutional law and there is no mention of it in the constitution.. in fact, in 2017 the supreme court (Matal v. Tam) affirmed this and ruled that there is no hate speech exception to the free speech rights protected in the U.S. constitution and that the U.S. government may not discriminate against or prosecute anybody because of speech in and of itself, regardless of how hateful it is

3 hours ago, avenue said:

hate speech on twitter without consequences even though it's illegal (the fighting words doctrine)

again i (obviously) do not think that "hate speech" (in quotations because it is not a legal term recognized by U.S. courts) should be socially permissible, but the fighting words doctrine does not apply to social media and this has been confirmed in several supreme courts cases following the original creation of the doctrine, and since the 1950's, the supreme courts have reversed virtually every conviction based on arguments where the speaker has used "fighting words"; federal courts have also repeatedly refused to use the fighting words doctrine as a justification to uphold speech codes that regulate offensive or indecent speech

(read cases Terminiello v. Chicago, Cohen v. California, Gooding v. Wilson, and Hess v. Indiana)

note that i say this all from a legal standpoint and not a moral one

20 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

i agree that hate speech is bad (obviously) but i study constitutional law and there is no mention of it in the constitution.. in fact, in 2017 the supreme court (Matal v. Tam) affirmed this and ruled that there is no hate speech exception to the free speech rights protected in the U.S. constitution and that the U.S. government may not discriminate against or prosecute anybody because of speech in and of itself, regardless of how hateful it is

9 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

again i (obviously) do not think that "hate speech" (in quotations because it is not a legal term recognized by U.S. courts) should be socially permissible, but the fighting words doctrine does not apply to social media and this has been confirmed in several supreme courts cases following the original creation of the doctrine, and since the 1950's, the supreme courts have reversed virtually every conviction based on arguments where the speaker has used "fighting words"; federal courts have also repeatedly refused to use the fighting words doctrine as a justification to uphold speech codes that regulate offensive or indecent speech

(read cases Terminiello v. Chicago, Cohen v. California, Gooding v. Wilson, and Hess v. Indiana)

note that i say this all from a legal standpoint and not a moral one

yeah after i posted the original post i did some more digging and even though it's technically the law it's pretty much never enforced in any aspect because of the OG constitution :eek:

so basically what you said :true: (except you phrased it better than i could and you're more knowledgeable about the topic for obvious reasons)

I think mainly people (both left and right) confuse “hate speech” with “inciting violence”—the imminent lawless action test. 

Honestly idc about social media anymore. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE (your mom, your cousin, your elementary school friends, your boss, the company you work for) is there and it's making me sick. I feel more comfortable with message boards like this. It's like my little secret, though it's not so little. 

SIRENS INTERRUPT THE SILENCE

I always found it scary that the next move for many very rich people is to buy a social network or even a tv channel / newspaper . I see it happening in my country as well . It really just shows to me that ultra rich people not only want money but they also want to control the general public. These two forms of power : money and control of the public opinion can become dangerous . Money is not enough for them at some point , they need a bigger thrill .  

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

I don't know what to think of this guy. He has an incredible fortune, a dream life, a head full of ideas, he's on top of the world but I don't think it's so "anti-system" as that, even if his thoughts may seem clear-cut enough to a billionaire, it's thanks to this system that he is here today. I am one of those who think that the ultra rich, especially the big billionaires like Musk, do not make a fortune in the wind, without sacrifice. There are bound to be some very dark things underneath. They are disconnected people, and letting them run the world (because all you need is money) is worrying. I am also talking about all these billionaires who race to conquer space, for whom? For the rich, the elite. They don't care about the environment, they don't care and live in their world. They are told nothing. I would like to be positive but I think we must not lose sight of these people, who are very clever.

Now if Elon buys Twitter, I don't think the platform becomes more interesting, it will remain a trash can, smaller but a trash can nonetheless. He would do better to invest this money to improve more down to earth things: shelters for animals in distress, improve the lives of the sick, but hey, we all know that billionaires will never do actions without receiving money behind.

He is in a race where he wants to finish first, like his "buddies". Sad world where everything is controlled with money.

I heard that his mother is a black magician and would have used it on Musk, I don't know if that's true. I know Grimes is into that weird stuff.

i think he should buy Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg is the real villain here.

His meta system is fucked.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing