rightofjupiter

Your annotated stan list (from childhood to now)

was thinking about my lineage of pop girlies that i've loved over the course of my life (constant form of support and pleasure) and then thought it'd be fun to make a stan list by age; would love to hear yours too!

added short notes for context when i thought of some and didn't say anything about lana because i've said it all over this form already)

was interesting to think about who dropped off since i was younger and who has stood the test of time (i would still call myself a tori amos stan even though i almost never like the new music i hear and never listen to it more than a few times, whereas fiona apple has been serving nonstop bangers from my teen years to my nearly-middle aged ones). there are also bands i was OBSESSED with at one point and now could literally not give less of a shit about re new work (sleater kinney is one of those for me).

childhood (5-11)

paula abdul (spellbound is still incredible)

amy grant (the only christian music in my entire lifelong stan list)

mariah carey (unplugged cd in particular)

phantom of the opera soundtrack (homosexual)

en vogue (i was obsessed with the glamour)

the beatles (loved the weird hippie lyrics; idk to me they are ARE pop girlies)

adolescence (12-18)

silver chair (:crai:)

lunachicks

nirvana

hole (the way i used to scream pretty on the inside lyrics at the top of my lungs during recess w my bff)

bikini kill (seeing them in july will be surreal; they broke up right around when i became a fan)

tori amos (one of the true queens of american music)

pj harvey

bjork (the it's oh so quiet was on mtv just about every hour when it came out)

no doubt

alanis morrisette (jagged little pill remains a perfect, perfect album also SO good for the soundtrack to one's teen melodrama)

fiona apple (has somehow only gotten better over time even though her first album was perfect??)

rasputina (melora creamer one of the best american songwriters period)

sleater kinney (the way i lived for corin tucker)

lil kim (notorious KIM forever)

marilyn manson (sigh)

jack off jill (90s goth teen's delight)

twenties (why is this decade of my a life a blur...i saw SO much live music and was very obsessed with many musicians i've completely have forgotten about a decade later)

no doubt/gwen stefani (LAMB changed the scene forever)

christina aguilera (stripped era iconic top to bottom, i joined the official fan club for real)

beyonce

tori amos (duh)

amy winehouse

yeah yeah yeahs (it took me a long time to remember this which made me feel old af bc i was OBSESSED)

regina spektor (soviet kitsch and most of what came before it remain incredible)

lily allen

fiona apple

jenny lewis

pj harvey

bjork (after many many years of stardom i saw her on the biophilia tour but unfortunately bc i am short and it was general admission section i didn't actually

see most of the show including the allegedly great hat she had on)

bat for lashes (has never made a bad album, has one of the prettiest voices and melodies in the history of the world)

rasputina

gaga 

lana

joanna newsom (literally everyone else wishes they could but only SHE can deliver)

bow wow wow (best new wave band hands down)

adam & the ants (second best new wave band though also sort of the same band)

missing persons

lene lovich

danielle dax

grimes (visions!!!!)

britney spears (in the zone made me a stan)

cocorosie (there was a point when they were the soundtrack to my life)

marina & the diamonds (queen of singing about dying in pop songs)

siouxsie and the banshees (queen of goth)

thirties

lana (i did think BTD was bad and corny when i came out but i also KNEW that she'd go on to make incredible records. 

which came true [for me] with paradise and then obviously when UV came out i knew it was over ie

she was a genius)

rhianna (ANTI made me a stan, she made bops before but this is an Album)

sza (ctrl is unreal)

gaga 

joanna newsom 

charli xcx (princess of LB)

halsey

fiona apple

bat for lashes

jenny lewis (has been writing perfect songs for twenty years at least and had yet to record a bad album)

aOaIzH2.gif

Childhood: 

madonna 

googoosh 

shakira 

adolescent: 

lady Gaga 

jlo 

Kanye 

Miley Cyrus 

selena Gomez

early teens:

alanis morissette 

Madonna 

Celine dion

lana del Rey 

late teens:

madonna 

alanis morissette 

Florence and the machine 

Lana del rey

20-22(current):

Lana del rey 

taylor swift 

Florence and the machine 

St. Vincent 

Beach House 

Bon Iver 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

Ok early life I wasn’t “into music”

Like I loved a song called white wing dove on the radio, I liked 4 minutes by Madonna, And 80s rock like Cinderella.

Probably around 16 when I started working I got really into Fleetwood Mac/Stevie, Aqua, Justice, Depeche Mode, Britney & Madonna. Liked other artists-But those are like the major.

LANA & FLORENCE…

I started getting into Grimes, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Allie X, Tove Lo, Charli XCX, Zella Day “even though at first I considered her a Lana knockoff”, I realized Taylor Swift wasn’t manufactured.

NIN, Eminem, Nicki, Lil Kim, Rihanna, St. Vincent.

Pandemic,

I got into Lady Gaga, Nirvana “actually a lot of 90s like grunge”, Dishwalla, The future Mrs. DeadSeaOfMercury - You know her as Dula Peep.

But now I’ve always been into Synth/Synthpop/Wave

Like Eurythmics & Prodigy.

Charlies Angels Full Throttle is the greatest soundtrack ever…

:ma:

EDIT:

I think I’ll need to rewrite this with like age groups…

IMG-3521.jpg

Idk if I’ve ever truly “stanned” anyone besides lana but britney spears, gwen stefani, and hilary duff RULED my childhood :trisha: hilary duff's 'wake up' music video.... is in my soul

and then lana from my early teens onwards :wipe:  And Neil Young lmao

mUENGN9.png

pre-teens: Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga

early teens: Lana Del Rey (mvp of my stan list for real), Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Lorde, Kesha, Beyoncé, 2NE1, Nicki Minaj, Bridgit Mendler, Avril Lavigne

mid-teens: Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Kesha, Marina, Grimes, Florence, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Amy Winehouse, 2NE1, Azealia Banks, Carly Rae Jepsen, Charli XCX, Bridgit mendler

late teens - now: Lana Del Rey, Florence + The Machine, Marina, Grimes, Kesha, FKA twigs, Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga, Tove Lo, Janelle Monáe, Charli XCX, Lorde, Paramore, Rina Sawayama, Chisato Moritaka, my bloody valentine, the velvet underground, mazzy star, SOPHIE, 2NE1, IU, Tyler - The Creator, YUKIKA, Azealia Banks, Madonna, HAIM, Bridgit Mendler, Ariana Grande, etc.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Childhood: I was raised in French, so my faves were all French-singing acts like Julie Masse and Les BB (and fuck they were bad). I also loved the oldies my father listened to, on the radio, especially songs that made it to movies like Pretty Woman and Unchained Melody.

teenage: there was a lot of divas: Mariah, Celine, Whitney… (yep I’m gay). There was also the grunge - alt acts of those times like Oasis, Alanis…

20s: Radiohead was my initiation to alternative music. Placebo, Coldplay, Muse, Indochine followed. Sinatra was also a big part of my 20s. Adele was also a big part of the end of that decade. I really got into Madonna in those 10 years (early stuff and music she released back then). I also loved Arcade Fire back then, Destiny’s Child and Beyoncé. 
30s: LANA (of course). Beach House, Bastille, Cigarettes After Sex, The National. 

childhood (mid/late 2000s)

gwen stefani, lady gaga, britney, jojo, fergie, madonna, avril lavigne

teens (2010s)

lana del rey, nicki minaj, marina, lil kim, brooke candy, sky ferreira, azealia banks, charli xcx, M.I.A., grimes, kreayshawn

now (2020s)

it’s hard to think about the present so maybe i’ll come back to this lol

childhood: britney spears, madonna

teens and 20s: nirvana, hole, alice in chains, soundgarden, pearl jam, the doors

now (30s): lush, slowdive, leonard cohen, nick cave, tom waits, led zeppelin, elliott smith, chris cornell, hozier, lana, fiona apple, tori amos, grimes

Child/ early teenage years:

Mando Diao

Gossip

Florence + The Machine

Marina & The Diamonds

Amanda Jenssen

Caro Emerald

Late teenage years

Lana Del Rey

Marilyn Manson (luckily, that one did not last too long)

Chelsea Wolfe

Bohren & Der Club of Gore

Jesper Munk

Moving out

Garbage

I Monster

Sevdaliza

Miynt

Morphine

Amy Winehouse

Tom Waits

"Wow, TripHop is really dope" (Ep. 1)

Hooverphonic

Portishead

Massive Attack

Tricky 

First big break-up

Elysian Fields

Fiona Apple

"Wow, TripHop is really dope" (Ep. 2)

Lamb

Puracane

Red Snapper

Early/mid 20s

Goldfrapp

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions/ Mazzy Star

Warhaus/ Balthazar

Anika/ Exploded View

Gorillaz

Chromatics

Moving cities

Martina Topley-Bird

Unloved

Moloko

The Marías

Melanie De Biasio

First Corona-Wave

Tennis

Alexandra Savior

Ghostpoet

Róisín Murphy

More recent additions

Nick Drake

Skinshape

Melody Gardot

Agnes Obel

King Hannah

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

00s: Britney Spears, JoJo, Maria Mena, Kelly Clarkson, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Avril Lavigne, Beyoncé and Colbie Caillat

10s: P!nk, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey, Miranda Lambert, Demi Lovato, Carrie Underwood and Tinashe

Mfhp.gif

7 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

was thinking about my lineage of pop girlies that i've loved over the course of my life (constant form of support and pleasure) and then thought it'd be fun to make a stan list by age; would love to hear yours too!

added short notes for context when i thought of some and didn't say anything about lana because i've said it all over this form already)

was interesting to think about who dropped off since i was younger and who has stood the test of time (i would still call myself a tori amos stan even though i almost never like the new music i hear and never listen to it more than a few times, whereas fiona apple has been serving nonstop bangers from my teen years to my nearly-middle aged ones). there are also bands i was OBSESSED with at one point and now could literally 

twenties (why is this decade of my a life a blur...i saw SO much live music and was very obsessed with many musicians i've completely have forgotten about a decade later)

no doubt/gwen stefani (LAMB changed the scene forever)

christina aguilera (stripped era iconic top to bottom, i joined the official fan club for real)

beyonce

tori amos (duh)

amy winehouse

yeah yeah yeahs (it took me a long time to remember this which made me feel old af bc i was OBSESSED)

regina spektor (soviet kitsch and most of what came before it remain incredible)

lily allen

fiona apple

jenny lewis

pj harvey

bjork (after many many years of stardom i saw her on the biophilia tour but unfortunately bc i am short and it was general admission section i didn't actually

see most of the show including the allegedly great hat she had on)

bat for lashes (has never made a bad album, has one of the prettiest voices and melodies in the history of the world)

rasputina

gaga 

lana

joanna newsom (literally everyone else wishes they could but only SHE can deliver)

bow wow wow (best new wave band hands down)

adam & the ants (second best new wave band though also sort of the same band)

missing persons

lene lovich

danielle dax

grimes (visions!!!!)

britney spears (in the zone made me a stan)

cocorosie (there was a point when they were the soundtrack to my life)

marina & the diamonds (queen of singing about dying in pop songs)

siouxsie and the banshees (queen of goth)

Lemme just say no doubt are pop music legends

Whew this really got me thinking

Childhood:

Britney Spears – The Britney album cover and Everytime single art probably started my album art obsession 

Nelly Furtado – I think my earliest memory is I’m Like A Bird playing in a shopping mall. I still request that song every time there’s a live singer at a bar 😝

Vanessa Carlton – I remember always calling her “Piano woman” cause of the thousand miles music video

Kelly Clarkson – The Breakaway album is probably the first album I loved front to back

Avril Lavigne – Complicated music video on constant rotation on MTV is another one of my earliest memories 

Eminem – Vividly remember getting the Business CD single

Good Charlotte

Simple Plan

Early teens
Lady Gaga – My real first all-in stan moment. The single art, the music videos, the performances. So all encapsulating. The Fame: Part One video was my favourite thing ever 

Lana Del Rey – Something shifted. Shit’s about to get real weird. Lana was the catalyst into being a real music fan and discovering older stuff.

Teens

Lissie – Probably the only artist I discovered through old school music channels. When I’m Alone music video on VH1

Kings of Leon

Kanye West – Yeezus release prompted me to listen to his entire discography. Had me in a chokehold thought he was the coolest. Haven’t listened to anything since TLOP and think he’s a loser now

Azealia Banks – Fantasea still sounds ahead of its time. Will always ride for her

Jay Z

Beyonce

Adele

Twenties

Dua Lipa – Soundtrack to my real formative years

Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Nicks

Leon Bridges

John Mayer

Jeff Buckley – Has become like my idol

Bruce Springsteen

Father John Misty

Lucinda Williams

Miley Cyrus – Would probably class as my favourite artist rn. That voice come on and her style and energy is just so electric

My current obsession is Robyn for some reason. Never listened to her before but the Honey album is hitting

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I’ve only fully stanned a few people in my life

Childhood and early adolescence:

Gaga

Mid adolescence:

Lana (#1)

Gaga - exclusively pre Joanne (#2)

Marina (#3)

Late adolescence/very early 20s:

Britney Spears (#1)

Lana (#2)

Marina (#3)

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

pre-5th grade:

gaga

kylie

kesha

janet

beyoncé

madonna pre-1991

basic top 40 radio

5th through 7th grade (my "edgy / not like other gays" phase):

björk

lana

tori amos

depeche mode

the cure

madonna post-1991

enya

8th & 9th grade:

k-pop

marina

charli xcx

sophie

10th grade to graduation:

all of the above combining & becoming more fleshed out

+ j-pop

+ niche dance-pop groups

post-high school / college:

10th grade to graduation continued

+ joni mitchell

+ fleetwood mac

+ joanna newsom

+ ethel cain my gorl

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

Chuch music (even before birth)

Britney Spears

Avril Lavinge

Green day

Robbie Williams

Muse (massive)

Lordi

Lana

Punnany Massif

Amy Winehouse

(Tom Odell)

Matt and Kim (barely)

Lana

Beach boys

Glass Animals

Gershwin

Elisabeth Woolridge Grant

The mamas and the papas (happiest)

Queen (short Time)

LSD (one album)

Lana

Classical music (Bach mainly)

:crey:

childhood

tbh i didnt rly stan anyone at this point in my life, i didn't really even have a sense for music taste at this point.. just knew all the biggest hits of the time, prob a lot of taylor swift lmfao. i remember loving dancing queen by ABBA tho lol & I listened to a lot of springsteen and CCR cause my dad n mom played them. 

highschool years

14-17: lana, the cure, the smiths, joy division (yeah i had my depressive era) the beatles, lorde, mazzy star, nirvana, oasis

early adulthood:

18-20 (now): lana still ofc<3 , morphine, leonard cohen, bob dylan, zella day, weyes blood, joni mitchell, neil young, john lennon, rolling stones, harry nilsson(him as of VERY late, thanks lana!) 

:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Early Childhood:

I didn't really stan anyone or really know that much about music other than what my parents played lol but I remember in particular they had one Celine Dion CD that I loved to play

Between the ages of like 8 to 11:

My parents only let me listen to things like Radio Disney and that meant I loved Hilary Duff, Aly & AJ, Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana etc.

12 - 15:

At this point I was trying to branch out and listen to other music, I think I got an iPod touch around this time that let me go on the internet/YouTube and I really liked whatever was popular at that time, Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Shakira, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears etc.

15 - 18:

I finally started stanning some artists! Specifically Marina and the Diamonds lol I also really liked Natalia Kills and Florence + The Machine

19 - 24/present day:

My top artists now are Lana obviously lol, Charli XCX, and Marina

I still like FATM and I discovered Allie X during these years as well

I guess Marina is the artist I've listened to for the longest time :oic3: