Rust Dress

Jack Antonoff has revealed that him and Lana have recorded a new song at Henson Studios in Los Angeles, CA.

3 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

It's ridicolous to discuss Jack's producer talent, I mean he just got a Grammy? We should be grateful that he's working with Lana right now, a lot of artists can only dream to be in this situation.

And Lana has never won one whilst Olivia Rodrigo has three. No shade to Olivia but that tells you everything you need to know about the Grammys

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

4 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

And Lana has never won one whilst Olivia Rodrigo has three. No shade to Olivia but that tells you everything you need to know about the Grammys

It has also something to do with luck, but if Lana had a Grammy you wouldn't say she's a bad singer.

14 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

It has also something to do with luck, but if Lana had a Grammy you wouldn't say she's a bad singer.

Huh? I'm not saying that Jack is a bad producer because of his Grammy, so that makes no sense

I'm saying that having a Grammy doesn't mean you're the best. Few people would consider Olivia to be a better artist than Lana at this point in time (she's at the start of her career whereas Lana is established, so no disrespect to Olivia, but that's how it is rn)

I'm not saying he isn't talented but as I said, he has a style that he never deviates from. Repetition is the antithesis to creativity. If he comes up with something completely different then I'll be the first to praise him for it, but I won't hold my breath.

I had a plan to listen all of Lana’s discography yesterday. When I reached NFR, I realized something. I love the idea of the songs on it, but not the songs themselves. I love the title track, MAC, Venice Bitch, think they’re great but also can’t help but feel annoyed… like they’re missing something, like they’re songs that couldn’t reach their full potential somehow. Anyway, I turned it off after Love Song.

My personal opinion on what Lana and Jack do together is that I love and get the idea that is there, but it seems to lack the “alchemy” Lana said to have with Dan for example. I’m not saying I want Ultraviolence 2.0, Ultraviolence was a gem on its own, but because I believe in her ability to play in new, exciting soundscapes, I do hope she finds that “alchemy” with another producer. This is just my take on the situation as a listener though and nothing else.

14 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Huh? I'm not saying that Jack is a bad producer because of his Grammy, so that makes no sense

I'm saying that having a Grammy doesn't mean you're the best. Few people would consider Olivia to be a better artist than Lana at this point in time (she's at the start of her career whereas Lana is established, so no disrespect to Olivia, but that's how it is rn)

I'm not saying he isn't talented but as I said, he has a style that he never deviates from. Repetition is the antithesis to creativity. If he comes up with something completely different then I'll be the first to praise him for it, but I won't hold my breath.

I've also never said, that Jack is the best producer, but only someone you can be happy to work with.

19 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

I've also never said, that Jack is the best producer, but only someone you can be happy to work with.

Yeah and ofc I'm glad that she's found someone she enjoys working with because it seems as if her relationships with producers have been tumultuous at times

But I feel as if these alt pop girls only have Jack in their contacts and there are so many other great producers

Isa (from FatM) could make a killing as a producer for these same girls if she wanted to. I'd love for her to go down that path once she releases her solo album (if she ever does)

NFR is highly overrated, just as folk as a genre is. Often times it’s just so one-dimensional in an attempt to come off as artsy these days.

Jack winning a Grammy despite producing some of the worst alt-girl albums is proof enough. As a Lana fan of the first minute I am experiencing a huge drought. I miss the cinematic and ethereal soundscape that made images pop up in my head. I also miss the Lana that cared about music videos and extravagant looks but she is looong dead.

53 minutes ago, The Love Witch said:

NFR is highly overrated, just as folk as a genre is. Often times it’s just so one-dimensional in an attempt to come off as artsy these days.

Jack winning a Grammy despite producing some of the worst alt-girl albums is proof enough. As a Lana fan of the first minute I am experiencing a huge drought. I miss the cinematic and ethereal soundscape that made images pop up in my head. I also miss the Lana that cared about music videos and extravagant looks but she is looong dead.

I don't need her to keep doing any of that stuph (I wouldn't mind if she did, though)

I just want to hear a collection of songs that sound different to what she's done previously, and that fit together as a cohesive body of work. 

I get the COCC and BB songs confused and forget which songs are from which album because both albums lacked distinct themes imo

All of her albums previous to those two had distinctive themes and soundscapes. I honestly believe you could give the songs to someone who had never listened and ask them to divide them into albums and they would be able to put most if not all of the UV songs together, all the LFL, etc

I really miss that cohesion

And the storytelling. I think you really need to reach to find the "story" for COCC and BB. The fact that the visuals largely consist of family fun days with an iPhone doesn't help (with the exception of the COCC mv)

i don't know what's up with y'all... :sadcore:

NFR! was meant to be a chill album as evident with some of the songs and the production techniques.

Chemtrails is obviously a cozy album and she fucking nailed it.

we don't know what we have in store for this next one but she's working with a variety of producers and like most of you, i hope she does escape from the last album's soundscape because then the lashings will happen. :toofloppy:

i have faith in the bitch and i know Lana is fond of her own discography and she knows better to not have anything repetitive and reductive in her holy discog. :agree:

Chemtrails was a lil sumn for the Sirens girlies, and BB was a necessary album as the statements overshadow the whole of Chemtrails and she had to come for those flops.

so yeah, before anything let's just hope for the best, manifest, and be happy that we're getting another album in a span of a year or two hopefully :party:

I think that because we all think so highly of her we expect something different from her this time sound-wise  :mj:

Edited by Deadly Nightshade
bad phrasing

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

This album with Jack will probably be my « break it or make it » moment with him regarding his involvement in her career. So far, I love what they put out together and he gave me some of my favourite songs from her. NFR has its signature, Chemtrails also (even if some tracks remind us of others he produced for the girlies), and I hope LDR9 has a distinct sound as well. She can keep Jack on board as much as she wants if the sound is distinct, so maybe he could be one of many producers on her next projects… 

14 hours ago, Mer said:

For the record, I have listened to Jack's LDR albums on many different setups, from AirPod Max-es, Grados, my parents home theatre setup, to my Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers. They are comparatively (to most other albums) bad on every setup I have access to. Now I am not an audiophile, and I am sure my setup isn't as fine tuned as it "should" be, but the Antonoff+LDR albums are noticeably poorly mixed compared to my other albums. 

14 hours ago, West Coast said:

This is why I just cannot enjoy songs like The greatest, which isn't bad by any means, but his method of making all the instruments sound so damn inaudible and subdued on the majority of his work with Lana is fucking insufferable. The lack of bass, percussions and the way he just caresses guitar strings, not to mention the way his piano sounds like it was recorded with an actual tin can. :bebe:

He does that on purpose to make it sound "unexpected", which he thinks translates to genius. 

A while ago, someone on here shared soundcloud links to Jack talking about the production in The Greatest and if i recall correctly, he talks about it in that. (Here's the short version- not sure if this cuts it out tho https://youtu.be/fWkf0KCRbGg).

When I was listening to the full version, I could almost begin to appreciate Jack's thought process and production as he explained it all, but then when I listened to The Greatest again, I really couldn't pick up his "genius"...

There is such a contrast in what people think about NFR, it's almost like the Laurel vs Yanny thing, where both might be correct. Its either her best or her worst and no in between.. 

3 hours ago, lili said:

I had a plan to listen all of Lana’s discography yesterday. When I reached NFR, I realized something. I love the idea of the songs on it, but not the songs themselves. I love the title track, MAC, Venice Bitch, think they’re great but also can’t help but feel annoyed… like they’re missing something, like they’re songs that couldn’t reach their full potential somehow. Anyway, I turned it off after Love Song.

My personal opinion on what Lana and Jack do together is that I love and get the idea that is there, but it seems to lack the “alchemy” Lana said to have with Dan for example. I’m not saying I want Ultraviolence 2.0, Ultraviolence was a gem on its own, but because I believe in her ability to play in new, exciting soundscapes, I do hope she finds that “alchemy” with another producer. This is just my take on the situation as a listener though and nothing else.

I'm starting to really think it's the base and strings missing. And no, Lana's songs don't require base and/or strings to be amazing songs, but they definitely give the depth. 

Then again, I also understand they were not going for that depth. But since I always associated her music with depth and texture, I can't see NFR as free and breezy, I can only see it as lacking. 

Edit: I think your use of the word "alchemy" is perfect!

24 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I'm starting to really think it's the base and strings missing. And no, Lana's songs don't require base and/or strings to be amazing songs, but they definitely give the depth. 

Then again, I also understand they were not going for that depth. But since I always associated her music with depth and texture, I can't see NFR as free and breezy, I can only see it as lacking. 

Completely agree. I often wonder how I would react to it if it was the work of another artist I've just discovered. When we're familiar with an artist's ouvre, our understanding of a specific work is naturally marked by everything that precedes it. I'll try listening to it again, separately, on its own, not in the context of listening to the whole discography and of course, still it will be imbued with implications of my idea of her art but maybe I'll come to a better understanding.

1 hour ago, Big Star said:

i don't know what's up with y'all... :sadcore:

NFR! was meant to be a chill album as evident with some of the songs and the production techniques.

Chemtrails is obviously a cozy album and she fucking nailed it.

we don't know what we have in store for this next one but she's working with a variety of producers and like most of you, i hope she does escape from the last album's soundscape because then the lashings will happen. :toofloppy:

i have faith in the bitch and i know Lana is fond of her own discography and she knows better to not have anything repetitive and reductive in her holy discog. :agree:

Chemtrails was a lil sumn for the Sirens girlies, and BB was a necessary album as the statements overshadow the whole of Chemtrails and she had to come for those flops.

so yeah, before anything let's just hope for the best, manifest, and be happy that we're getting another album in a span of a year or two hopefully :party:

You make it sound as if you were present when she wrote/recorded these album. All these things you said are assumptions. Things we can’t judge. What we can judge is the product and compare that to her previous albums.

1 minute ago, lili said:

Completely agree. I often wonder how I would react to it if it was the work of another artist I've just discovered. When we're familiar with an artist's ouvre, our understanding of it is naturally marked by everything that precedes it. I'll try listening to it again, separately, on its own, not in the context of listening to the whole discography and of course, still it will be imbued with implications of my idea of her art but maybe I'll come to a better understanding.

I've tried doing the exact same thing multiple times and it doesn't work :toofunny:

I really wish I could tho. 

5 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Edit: I think your use of the word "alchemy" is perfect!

Ah, thank you but Lana used it herself while describing her work in the studio with Dan Auerbach. I'll update this post if I ever find that interview. :kiss2: