Rust Dress

Jack Antonoff has revealed that him and Lana have recorded a new song at Henson Studios in Los Angeles, CA.

13 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

He does that on purpose to make it sound "unexpected", which he thinks translates to genius. 

A while ago, someone on here shared soundcloud links to Jack talking about the production in The Greatest and if i recall correctly, he talks about it in that. (Here's the short version- not sure if this cuts it out tho https://youtu.be/fWkf0KCRbGg).

When I was listening to the full version, I could almost begin to appreciate Jack's thought process and production as he explained it all, but then when I listened to The Greatest again, I really couldn't pick up his "genius"...

There is such a contrast in what people think about NFR, it's almost like the Laurel vs Yanny thing, where both might be correct. Its either her best or her worst and no in between.. 

It’s somewhere in between for me. It’s the leading album of the 4 boring ones (imo) she’s done. To me, her discography can be split into 4 cinematic and somewhat badass albums and 4 more chill, less story but sound-driven albums.

1. Ultraviolence
  2. Born to Die
  3. Lust for Life
  4. Paradise

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell
  2. Honeymoon
  3. Blue Banisters
  4. Chemtrails Over the Country Club

i think NFR is one if her best albums. its hard for me to hear the “tinny sound” that a lot of you are talking about. its nostalgic, airy, sweet, and more mature than past works.

Chemtrails has also grown on me quite a bit. I could do without a couple songs but most of the album is really cozy and comforting. 

i’m not mad about her working with jack again. i WOULD be upset if she was working with the producers she worked with on bb, however. lana and jack create a simple n nostalgic magic together. i just want this next album to be NFR level and not Chemtrails level. 

1 hour ago, Pale Fire said:

I feel like Lana’s long-term working partnership with Rick knowels produced some of her best work, where as this long-term Antonoff partnership is giving some of her most dull work. lyrically her stuff remains great, but everything post-NFR lacks seasoning

I think there was a decline from Honeymoon to LFL the same way there was a decline from NFR to Chemtrails. It would be cool to get a few songs from Rick again, but she would probably benefit the most from working with a new producer entirely. 

13 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

I think there was a decline from Honeymoon to LFL the same way there was a decline from NFR to Chemtrails. It would be cool to get a few songs from Rick again, but she would probably benefit the most from working with a new producer entirely. 

More like the opposite. To me and a lot of fans I know, LFL was sort of a return to form compared to the previous one. Honeymoon only looks good compared to the shit she pulled out later. Overall, the individual songs on Honeymoon are not discography standouts. LFL has more clear standouts (and low points) but overall it was more varied in sound and seemed more ambitious thematically.

2 minutes ago, The Love Witch said:

More like the opposite. To me and a lot of fans I know, LFL was sort of a return to form compared to the previous one. Honeymoon only looks good compared to the shit she pulled out later. Overall, the individual songs on Honeymoon are not discography standouts. LFL has more clear standouts (and low points) but overall it was more varied in sound and seemed more ambitious thematically.

you had me on everything you were saying until this

we are not dragging honeymoon aka the album that made me a lana fan just because it’s only now getting it’s flowers

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

4 minutes ago, The Love Witch said:

I do agree that LFL has some of her best songs. Heroin is probably my second favorite Lana song. 13 Beaches, Cherry, and Get Free are also great. If you cut out some of the more political songs, I think it would be a top 3 album for me. 

1 hour ago, avenue said:

you had me on everything you were saying until this

we are not dragging honeymoon aka the album that made me a lana fan just because it’s only now getting it’s flowers

Yes, we are cause it was the album that caused a huge crisis for me as a stan. :hoe:

It’s by no means terrible in my opinion. It’s just pretty lacking if you compare it to UV and BTD. It just feels like a contract filler. Lust for Life on the other hand feels like an album she was pretty proud of again and was eager to perform life.

1 hour ago, LifeOnMars said:

I do agree that LFL has some of her best songs. Heroin is probably my second favorite Lana song. 13 Beaches, Cherry, and Get Free are also great. If you cut out some of the more political songs, I think it would be a top 3 album for me. 

I think the political songs are somewhat understandable in a way. That was her mindset at the time.

I do believe that the “witches in Hollywood” concept would have been cooler and more intriguing. I tried to make a playlist that somewhat showcases what it could have been like.

1. 13 Beaches
  2. Lust for Life - 1st Demo
  3. Serene Queen
  4. Cherry
  5. White Mustang
  6. Best American Record
  7. Yosemite
  8. Heroin
  9. The End (WTWWAWWKD)
  10. God Bless America
  11. Change
  12. Young & in Love
  13. Get Free

13 songs cause :illumilana:

I love Groupie Love and some of the other collabs but I would have preferred a cute collab EP to accompany LFL instead of putting them on an album they didn’t belong on.

In My Feelings can ROT!

On 5/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, lili said:

I had a plan to listen all of Lana’s discography yesterday. When I reached NFR, I realized something. I love the idea of the songs on it, but not the songs themselves. I love the title track, MAC, Venice Bitch, think they’re great but also can’t help but feel annoyed… like they’re missing something, like they’re songs that couldn’t reach their full potential somehow. Anyway, I turned it off after Love Song.

My personal opinion on what Lana and Jack do together is that I love and get the idea that is there, but it seems to lack the “alchemy” Lana said to have with Dan for example. I’m not saying I want Ultraviolence 2.0, Ultraviolence was a gem on its own, but because I believe in her ability to play in new, exciting soundscapes, I do hope she finds that “alchemy” with another producer. This is just my take on the situation as a listener though and nothing else.

One word: California.

That flat flat flat production wtf it could've been one of her best songs. I get so frustrated listening to that damned song. 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

On 5/17/2022 at 11:25 AM, The Love Witch said:

Yes, we are cause it was the album that caused a huge crisis for me as a stan. :hoe:

It’s by no means terrible in my opinion. It’s just pretty lacking if you compare it to UV and BTD. It just feels like a contract filler. Lust for Life on the other hand feels like an album she was pretty proud of again and was eager to perform life.

I think the political songs are somewhat understandable in a way. That was her mindset at the time.

I do believe that the “witches in Hollywood” concept would have been cooler and more intriguing. I tried to make a playlist that somewhat showcases what it could have been like.

1. 13 Beaches
  2. Lust for Life - 1st Demo
  3. Serene Queen
  4. Cherry
  5. White Mustang
  6. Best American Record
  7. Yosemite
  8. Heroin
  9. The End (WTWWAWWKD)
  10. God Bless America
  11. Change
  12. Young & in Love
  13. Get Free

13 songs cause :illumilana:

I love Groupie Love and some of the other collabs but I would have preferred a cute collab EP to accompany LFL instead of putting them on an album they didn’t belong on.

In My Feelings can ROT!

I love this concept so fucking much omg???

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Another thread full of embarrassing NFR takes. I promise you, there's nothing wrong with its songs or production. You just hate it cuz it's not overproduced and melodramatic like Lana's early work. That's what happens when you have one-dimensional taste in music.

4DBc.gif