TIARNZUS

Update requests - December 2012

I'll withhold final judgement until I've tried it for awhile, but I think I'm going to dislike the like/dislike vote up/vote down buttons. I'm concerned it will make LanaBoards a less friendly place and I personally liked the "Like this!" terminology. Also, it seemed to me in past forum experiences that people were more inclined to use "Like this!" systems than reputation points systems.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I'm concerned it will make LanaBoards a less friendly place and I personally liked the "Like this!" terminology.

I agree with this. Now people have an opportunity to showcase their disdain for someone with a simple click of the dislike button, whereas normally people would just keep quiet about it. I myself am inclined to go to a certain person's profile, find every last one of their posts, and dislike them all...

Anyway, I'd really like a certain feature to be returned. I want to be able to modify my settings to where I get notifications when someone likes (and dislikes, I guess :creep:) my posts. I can't do that anymore! Boo.

14417469274.gif

I agree with this. Now people have an opportunity to showcase their disdain for someone with a simple click of the dislike button, whereas normally people would just keep quiet about it. I myself am inclined to go to a certain person's profile, find every last one of their posts, and dislike them all...

I'm actually not sure whether this is criticism or an endorsement. And I just noticed you were the last person to visit my profile. :creep:

:lmao:

Anyway, I'd really like a certain feature to be returned. I want to be able to modify my settings to where I get notifications when someone likes (and dislikes, I guess :creep:) my posts. I can't do that anymore! Boo.

Yeah, whatever regime we end up with, notifications are a must have.

I'm actually not sure whether this is criticism or an endorsement. And I just noticed you were the last person to visit my profile. :creep:

:lmao:

Oh hunny, if it were you I was talking about, I'd be shading you so hard right now. :creep: :creep: :creep:

Actually, I probably would pay you no mind at all. I try really hard to ignore people that irritate me, so this dislike button is going to be like a Christmas dessert tempting me to dive in. It was definitely an endorsement. I also see that you liked my other post, yet I wasn't notified. Sigh.

:creep: :creep: :creep:

:defeated:

14417469274.gif

Agree with evilentity. The "like this" button harbours friendship and friendly relations. Furthermore I feel like it blurs the line between "dislike" and "disagree". Previously, if one disagreed with an opinion to show this, it would need to be expressed via comment. This offers an opportunity for civil debate and interesting conversation. Also I just find the whole idea too much like reddit/youtube and the thought of people commenting here being all LOL UPVOTE IF U AGREE makes me roll my eyes a little too hard. Nonetheless, lanaboards is a different sort of community so I'll certainly give this a try.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Maybe LDR can help me with the following list, as I've so far observed:

UPDATE LIST

PER DEC 4, 2012

+ Anonymous Browsing removal

+ Like this revised to UP ARROW | DOWN ARROW

+ Group Members Title revised

+ Group Members Title coloring revised

1. My ditziness will conspire with my sloppy eyes and fingers, along with the slippery mouse to maybe click DISLIKE instead of LIKE and vice versa, that's all for now. I haven't yet made up my mind on whether I like/dislike the idea of UP ARROW & DOWN ARROW, until maybe an elaborate explanation of its merits and PRO/CON List. Truth be told that back in ldr.fm I was such a ditzy that when I click Notifs, it landed me to someone's Profile, and I was like: "How the heck did I land here? Now this person gonna think I creepy stalk them or something."

ETA: Turned out you CAN NOT UNDO the DOWN ARROW, okay understood *takes note*.

2. Is there any way to test CHANGES in sandbox? Or maybe discuss UPDATE PLAN before hand? I reckoned it'd be quite a laborious task to revamp only to have it (the UPDATE) boycotted by majority of members.

ps: Neal is being a bit too invested? Yes, maybe. And it's strange, since I rarely live outside my own head and fantasy. Started from ldr.fm, mermaidmotel.co.cc and now Lanaboards.com, things have changed quite a bit. I believe in this forum, I believe that it can be collaborative, I believe that it can be beautiful, y'all are the people I found on the open road.

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

It was definitely an endorsement.

Just to clarify... Endorsement of my opinion, or endorsement of the dislike/vote down feature? I meant to ask whether you were endorsing or criticizing the feature, but my wording was pretty vague.

Just to clarify... Endorsement of my opinion, or endorsement of the dislike/vote down feature? I meant to ask whether you were endorsing or criticizing the feature, but my wording was pretty vague.

:toofloppy:

I was endorsing your opinion because I agree with it! I am criticizing the feature as well.

14417469274.gif

Guest OPRAH

Like Ataraxia said, I definitely don't want this to turn into "I have a different opinion than yours, I think your opinion is stupid, dislike" kind of thing. :\

I think the core of our community is a lot better than that :3, but I don't know if newer members will be...

I do like the "Recently discussed forum topics" section. (I don't think I'll find the "Topics I've participated in" section that useful.) But I don't like how much space it takes up at the top of the page. The ads, probably a necessary evil, take up enough space already. Could the number of topics shown be reduced to 3 or so? Or maybe zero and the "View More" link just be turned into the "New Content" button Sitar's always wanted? Just a suggestion.

Aww you guys, notifications when someone liked my posts used to make my day a little bit better :creep: I know I'm a sad person, but I don't see the point of up/down votes on a forum. I get why it works in communities like reddit/youtube ( :facepalm: not the greatest example) - because you get to see the good posts first while the bad stuff gets buried under, but on a forum it's a bit pointless and... petty? Do we really need to give our opinion on people's posts if we're too lazy to write a response? The 'like' button was friendly and better than "YEAH this guy, this guy gets it like me!!" responses to the favored posts, but as someone said earlier, it makes more sense to disagree in words than down vote people because you don't like their opinion or whatever. I surely won't use it.

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Aww you guys, notifications when someone liked my posts used to make my day a little bit better :creep: I know I'm a sad person, but I don't see the point of up/down votes on a forum. I get why it works in communities like reddit/youtube ( :facepalm: not the greatest example) - because you get to see the good posts first while the bad stuff gets buried under, but on a forum it's a bit pointless and... petty? Do we really need to give our opinion on people's posts if we're too lazy to write a response? The 'like' button was friendly and better than "YEAH this guy, this guy gets it like me!!" responses to the favored posts, but as someone said earlier, it makes more sense to disagree in words than down vote people because you don't like their opinion or whatever. I surely won't use it.

the like button was really better tbh

i76mrxw.png 

Also, I think the dislike button will spawn a lot of wasteful "i'm sorry" comments from people that didn't mean to click it, since you can't undo your dislike. If people don't apologize either, it may make unrealistic rivalries between members.

No one likes this feature, why was it added? It needs to go. :eek:

14417469274.gif

There actually have been a few (like three) posts in the past where I wished there was a dislike button. I'm not sure how I feel about it now. I think we should try it for a while and maybe have a poll about it in a few weeks.

Oh well, apparently it's already been removed...

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I think Report button suffices. I'd like to think every member knows exactly what it means. But I could be wrong :creep: Maybe I myself don't yet understand it. Bad member here, for not knowing maybe; but what qualifies a Warning Point? Link to explanation thread? Is it in Forum Guideline? Is there such thing as Forum Guideline we have here? I visited the IP Board developer forum and they have this sort of Auto-Welcome-PM (I suspect LDR has implemented that, but idk, have you?)--that can welcome New Members and direct them to Forum Guideline thread or sth.

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

Aaaaaaand welcome to the train wreck that is the like/dislike system. This was also tried out on LDR.FM, but it lasted like a day because everyone was against it. What is even the point of this? Is this a playground or a forum for discussing a musical artist? In addition to the aforementioned reasons that people have stated for being against it, it also just further promotes forgoing personal expression of one’s thoughts and ideas in favor of a uniform, one-word stock response that really says nothing of substance. This is backwards and antithetical to the very purpose of a discussion forum. It’s stupid and childish, and as Poison Ivy said--petty. We should just use WORDS to express what we think on a discussion forum.

We should also be able to vote on all updates.

EDIT: I see it's been removed already, but what is this REPUTATION bullshit? Can we get rid of that kind of language/pettiness? What was wrong with the way things were before?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein