Elle

Lana Del Rey covers W Magazine - May 2022

11 minutes ago, DragonWhore said:

Thanks dear. I told you hoes that things would be revealing themselves shortly and now the “proof is in the pudding” as they say. 

I have deets, give me a week and you’ll be happy with my news. 

thanks

i believe in your power.

im excited for the news.

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

8 hours ago, slut4davegahan said:

No because Swan Song makes me cry too for the same reasons ugh her mind

It's so interesting how she described this, as Swan Song is my least favourite Lana song because it makes me sad. Honeymoon was released during a pretty difficult time in my life where all I wanted to do was give up on everything, and so Swan Song hit too hard and was essentially unlistenable to me. I think it really is one of her saddest songs. I can just imagine her singing it with glazed-over eyes. It's that feeling of numbness and total defeat. I'm so happy she's in a much better place now - and myself, too. I still struggle to listen to that song even now though as it just transports me back to that time which is why it remains my least favourite, but I've gained some appreciation for it recently and now, especially after this note from her. (It's funny how all my least favourite Lana songs in my ranking are solely because I have a bad memory tied to them. I really don't think she can make a bad song that I dislike just because of the song itself.) x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

38 minutes ago, Elle said:

It's so interesting how she described this, as Swan Song is my least favourite Lana song because it makes me sad. Honeymoon was released during a pretty difficult time in my life where all I wanted to do was give up on everything, and so Swan Song hit too hard and was essentially unlistenable to me. I think it really is one of her saddest songs. I can just imagine her singing it with glazed-over eyes. It's that feeling of numbness and total defeat. I'm so happy she's in a much better place now - and myself, too. I still struggle to listen to that song even now though as it just transports me back to that time which is why it remains my least favourite, but I've gained some appreciation for it recently and now, especially after this note from her. (It's funny how all my least favourite Lana songs in my ranking are solely because I have a bad memory tied to them. I really don't think she can make a bad song that I dislike just because of the song itself.) x

I really agree with you here. When I first listened to Swan Song, it made me break down and sob because finally it felt like I had something that could describe how I felt in life. Feeling like I was on the edge of defeat yet still having some lust for life buried deep down inside me. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. "Do you like where you've been and where you're going to ... say goodnight to the life and the world you knew" is such an obvious reference to that one action that we all know and perhaps had a brush with. It's that line what really stuck with me and continues to stick with me. In my eyes, Swan Song just perfectly encapsulates that feeling of defeat and giving up on everything, perhaps a little too well. Like you and Lana, I'm also in a better place and listening to the song also transports me back (or reminds me) of that state of mind I had so long ago and just how lucky I am, how lucky we are, to be in a better place now. 

Edit: Might I add that no other song has made me sob like Swan Song did. Come Undone by Duran Duran maybe, but nothing ever came close to Swan Song.

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

13 minutes ago, slut4davegahan said:

I really agree with you here. When I first listened to Swan Song, it made me break down and sob because finally it felt like I had something that could describe how I felt in life. Feeling like I was on the edge of defeat yet still having some lust for life buried deep down inside me. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. "Do you like where you've been and where you're going to ... say goodnight to the life and the world you knew" is such an obvious reference to that one action that we all know and perhaps had a brush with. It's that line what really stuck with me and continues to stick with me. In my eyes, Swan Song just perfectly encapsulates that feeling of defeat and giving up on everything, perhaps a little too well. Like you and Lana, I'm also in a better place and listening to the song also transports me back (or reminds me) of that state of mind I had so long ago and just how lucky I am, how lucky we are, to be in a better place now. 

Edit: Might I add that no other song has made me sob like Swan Song did. Come Undone by Duran Duran maybe, but nothing ever came close to Swan Song.

Putting in spoiler bc sort of a heavy reply:

Spoiler

First off, teared up at your post. Ironically, I'm listening to the Honeymoon album rn and Swan Song happened to be the song playing while I read your reply.

You saying "[the lyric] is such a an obvious reference to that one action that we all know and perhaps had a brush with" - I feel this whole song sort of alludes to suicide which is why it's so difficult to listen to. Sure, it could be just referring to running away off the grid and starting a new life, but I just can't shake that it means something deeper and darker. Especially with the close of the song - the faint, airy, rather eerie vocals singing "Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me. Why you work so hard when you could just be free?" almost like those little voices in the back of your head that you hear when you just feel so hopeless. I also feel like this would've been the perfect closing track to this record for the reason she says in the interview - "at the end of every album, I say goodbye and thank you." I really wish DLMBM was the track before it, but perhaps she added it as the final track purposefully to end the record with a little bit more light. Swan Song may have actually been a too heavy, dark of a goodbye for the record.

Ugh, yeah, this song does a number on me. It also made me feel so sad for Lana when I first heard it. So it wasn't just a complete pity party for myself. I'm so glad the three of us are in much better places now x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

56 minutes ago, Elle said:

I feel the exact same way about swan song. The way she described it in the interview really just put into words how it makes me feel. I used to not listen much but a few months ago I started on it and listen to it a lot. I love it now because I can relate. But she doesn’t have any bad songs. She’s the only artist I can say I like her entire discography. It’s so cool. :) 

18 minutes ago, Elle said:

Putting in spoiler bc sort of a heavy reply:

Hide contents

First off, teared up at your post. Ironically, I'm listening to the Honeymoon album rn and Swan Song happened to be the song playing while I read your reply.

You saying "[the lyric] is such a an obvious reference to that one action that we all know and perhaps had a brush with" - I feel this whole song sort of alludes to suicide which is why it's so difficult to listen to. Sure, it could be just referring to running away off the grid and starting a new life, but I just can't shake that it means something deeper and darker. Especially with the close of the song - the faint, airy, rather eerie vocals singing "Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me. Why you work so hard when you could just be free?" almost like those little voices in the back of your head that you hear when you just feel so hopeless. I also feel like this would've been the perfect closing track to this record for the reason she says in the interview - "at the end of every album, I say goodbye and thank you." I really wish DLMBM was the track before it, but perhaps she added it as the final track purposefully to end the record with a little bit more light. Swan Song may have actually been a too heavy, dark of a goodbye for the record.

Ugh, yeah, this song does a number on me. It also made me feel so sad for Lana when I first heard it. So it wasn't just a complete pity party for myself. I'm so glad the three of us are in much better places now x

Spoiler

<3 

It was my feelings of utter helplessness and melancholia turning into thoughts of suicide which made Swan Song really have a grasp on me. We all know that Lana isn't a stranger for having the same feelings. We also know that Lana has made some subtle references to suicide and death in her songs before. With Swan Song, we could argue that this is really her first (and only?) song where suicide was the main theme. I'm not going to say that it is, but I 100% agree with what you said.

You referring to the closing lines being like the voices in ones head is totally accurate. For me, those voices were "Why bother? Why keep trying when it's never going to change for you?" which relates to the "Why work so hard when you could just be free?" lyric.

I also echo your statements on DLMBM. Swan Song would've made a very hard and powerful closer to the album. However, with DLMBM I feel like Shes trying to say that "this is how I feel, but this isn't the end." almost like she's already alluding to Lust for Life.

and thank you <3. I've come a long way since then and I'm so thankful that I was able to find the inner strength to carry on with life.

I think that we can all agree that whatever goes on inside Lana's head, she's able to turn it into something beautiful and impactful and it always carries a message.

banner.png

suffer does the wolf crawling to thee

27 minutes ago, pinkfuneral said:

"For this new music, there’s none of that at all. It’s more just like: I’m angry."

I'm very excited by this line. It seems like the album will be different than anything she's done before

Watch this hoe release another album of ballads

I feel (as always) genuinely excited for this album, but especially because I feel like, over the past couple records, we’ve seen her inch closer into being a mature artist. the whole idea of stream-of-consciousness songs feels like she’s hitting her Hejira-style era. I think her free verse poetry has really influenced her songwriting and I’m eager to hear the kinds of orchestral arrangements that are being built around her free-singing poetry — especially if she’s letting her anger out! I think it will be more abstract for sure, but that gives us more to dissect and discuss and analyze. You can relate to it more, in a way, because everyone finds a different meaning in it. I CAN’T WAIT!!!

giphy.gif

Swan Song has always been a top three track for me oddly enough, and I don't know what it says about me that I never really understood just how depressing it was until a few months ago. I thought the experience Lana described in the song sounded so freeing and wonderful, although I guess that says more about my own mental health at the time than anything else lol. Hearing her talk about the song the way she did in this interview makes the fact that she never sang it live make more sense

imageproxy.jpg