Elle

LDR9 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

So if we rule our the latest Rob updates... the album could have been finished in April. We have the Drew video (that's 99% for LDR9) and the random Jack piano song they recorded in April but they weren't planning on doing it so maybe it's for the next record. She also posted the peach fuzz selfie in April and it's the only one Ben reposted :brows:. I'm sure that was their sign of "album is done"

We could be getting the album as soon as August with a single pretty soon and it would make sense with Ben teasing music and saying an album is coming soon.

I'd be fine with a September/October release tho... considering BB would be barely 1 year old at that point :gasp:

giphy.gif

Wait, I’m realizing something:

LDR9 might be coming sooner than we initially thought. The frequency of Rob’s studio photos (for me, at least) gave the impression that the record was far from finished. 

However, now that RG1 is likely, Ben’s comment about a new Lana album coming soon makes way more sense. “Soon” is subjective, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we get a single this summer:brows:

Just now, GeminiLanaFan said:

One of his posts had to be about her though, the one about the beautiful SF songs… 

Maybe this is just me, but I interpreted that caption as like, “Look at San Francisco: the city that has had so many songs written about it in the past.” 

that was just my interpretation, though!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

Okay...so these are our clues: 

- LDR9 must have been completed. Although the insiders don't know anything about it which is a first for a Lana record...

- Erickson is mentioned by Lana as a "composer" who added orchestra to her voice memos, but not as a producer. He may be one of the producers of the album of course, but I think that the wording is interesting.

- Antonoff confirmed that he worked with Lana this spring, so he's definitely involved. 

- Angry lyrics (and vocals?) + conversational, wordy songs + orchestra + no colours + automatic singing + Carl Jung reference. 

- Ben teasing the album A LOT. 

What to make of Rob's involvement though? Were those March and April recording sessions with Antonoff for his album? We know that Lana was in the studio with Antonoff in April, and she barely posted on IG in March. Antonoff wasn't active on IG in February as well. Rob posted that there are a lot of songs about San Francisco (Lana's I assume?), he mentioned that it's an "epic project" - Lana's or his? lol - and he was playing "beautiful ethereal music" (similar to his wording when he described the recording of Sweet Carolina last year), and he posted a pic of Antonoff with an electric guitar + Antonoff confirmed that he and Lana were messing around with 808s. 

This is so confusing, lol. My guess is that Rob did work on LDR9 with Antonoff and Lana in the studio back in March and April. In late April he posted that he's taking a break from the piano, so I suppose that the album must have been completed (or at least his involvement with it) by then. And he's recording his classical album in London now. :true: :true: :true: 

This is just solidifying the possibility of a surprise drop for me. I won’t get my hopes up, but something suspicious is going on lol

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

17 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

This is just solidifying the possibility of a surprise drop for me. I won’t get my hopes up, but something suspicious is going on lol

Yeah...If it hadn't been for Ben's posts + W Magazine mentioning that a new album is on the way, I wouldn't have expected LDR9 this year. Why tease a 2023 release so early? Lana's silence is a surprising twist of events though, lol. In a normal - for Lana's standards! - era, she'd have posted snippets and multiple release dates and album titles. :creepna2:

17 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

I honestly just hope they don't use phone recorded voice memos :eyeroll3: At least Jack confirmed for his songs he made her re-record her vocals.

I think that Lana simply described the (experimental) methods she used when she and Erickson first developed the sound of the new tracks. Didn't she admit that the voice memos were very raw and flawed?

Although a certain rawness might be fitting assuming the new album is wordy and angry. I don't know...I'm getting major Violet bent backwards over the grass (conversational + poetic) + Black Bathing Suit (angry + experimental) + Arcadia (orchestral) + hope is a dangerous thing/White Dress/Wildflower Wildfire (raw + wordy) vibes from LDR9. The glamour she's been serving in the last few months + the Honeymoon mentions could also indicate a more fun/jazzy/cinematic aspect to it. 

14 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

I honestly just hope they don't use phone recorded voice memos :eyeroll3: At least Jack confirmed for his songs he made her re-record her vocals.

Ultraviolence , her best album, was recorded on generic cheap microphones. If it adds to the vibe im totally here for it. But like i said before when i hear voice memo i think of Land of 1000 Fires and if the album doesn’t give that quintessential old radio Noir  feel , then they’ll sound so lazy and bad!

11 minutes ago, BlueGreenGray said:

I think that Lana simply described the (experimental) methods she used when she and Erickson first developed the sound of the new tracks. Didn't she admit that the voice memos were very raw and flawed? 

They could cut out the pauses and word stumbling, slap on some reverb and call it a day. Though I wonder if her label would allow something like that to be released.

At this point in a Lana record’s development (knowing songs have been sent to Drew and Lana being seen in Jack’s studio), reliable insiders would normally have spilled a crumb of info by now—especially considering Ben claims the entire album is coming soon. 

Lana’s team has either upped their security measures, or a surprise release is imminent. Either way, both are nice possibilities for me personally:true:

Sylvia Plath 

27 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

She did it for Violet, so don’t count it out

ezgif-2-61df3cf70b84.gif

Peace by vengeance brings the end.

5 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

At this point in a Lana record’s development (knowing songs have been sent to Drew and Lana being seen in Jack’s studio), reliable insiders would normally have spilled a crumb of info by now—especially considering Ben claims the entire album is coming soon. 

Lana’s team has either upped their security measures, or a surprise release is imminent. Either way, both are nice possibilities for me personally:true:

I don't know if it's doable, but...what if Lana doesn't announce anything about a pre-order, waits for the production of the physicals and surprise releases the album the week vinyls, CDs etc. are available in the market? Interscope will be happy; they know that sales will be strong. And Lana will surprise drop an album the way she intended to. 

37 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

I want the experience of going into a Lana release completely surprised & blind so please, Lanita, make our dreams come true :kiss3:

Edit to add: note how Lana used “automatic playing” when referring to Rob’s piano skills. I wonder if they have an automatic singing / playing Collab for LDR9 or RG1 

Tumblr

Rob may be working on his solo piano record, but most of the photos he’s posted of himself in the studio over the last 8 months seem to have been in Conway and Henson studios, both of which Lana made NFR, COTCC, and BB in.

Plus, Jack, Laura, and another unknown engineer can be seen in his posts, so I definitely think he’s still heavily involved in Lana’s record.

As for Rob being in London while Lana was in Malibu———that could denote he’s working on his solo project, BUT if all of Lana’s vocal tracks and the basic chords are down (which they usually are, as we know her lyrics/melodies initiate the songs) then he could just be working with an engineer on some additional production (maybe some piano embellishments).

Lana doesn’t necessarily need to be there for that, even if she is commanding the sound and offering direction for the sonics (which they could have discussed beforehand, she could have done over FaceTime, OR she could listen to at a later time and redirect if need be). 

10 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

The idea that Rob is making his own music is just not feasible in so many ways

If Lana hadn’t posted saying the he was going to be working on a classical record, I wouldn’t believe it either.