jimbeam

New TikTok fans: weird or just unhinged?

1 minute ago, Semafori said:

im confused now because i did read you saying the Lana Del Rey persona died but  ultra violet said they meant elizabeth herself died

obviously elizabeth didn’t die

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

4 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

lana’s “lolita” phase was over 10 years ago and just because she did it doesn’t mean it’s okay for people today to partake in that aesthetic, it’s gross to romanticize that book and make it into some sort of edgy love story, i don’t think every reference lana made to that book was necessarily wrong, but some of them don’t feel like they’re true to the actual nature of the book and what it was actually about (i don’t like the song “lolita” very much for this reason… i can’t help but feel like that song was not about the book and more about the sensationalized version of lolita)

LITERALLY. like okay she wore a headdress in ride in 2014 but does that mean we can do it today?? absolutely fucking not if i catch you in a headdress i’ll dress your fucking organs on the wall 

but for though, like the lolita coquette is more dangerous than the old money sad girl that lana del rey also made.

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

Just now, jamesss said:

LITERALLY. like okay she wore a headdress in ride in 2014 but does that mean we can do it today?? absolutely fucking not if i catch you in a headdress i’ll dress your fucking organs on the wall 

obviously what may have been socially okay (to some extent) a decade ago could be totally wrong today, although i would argue that romanticizing lolita at any point is wrong, i don’t feel like it’s a bit pointless to criticize lana as a person for it at this point because it was a long time ago and she hasn’t made any references to it in her music since 2013 (even though she’s performed as recently as 2016) but the romanticization of that book as a whole is a problem that’s still relevant today

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

10 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

lana’s “lolita” phase was over 10 years ago and just because she did it doesn’t mean it’s okay for people today to partake in that aesthetic, it’s gross to romanticize that book and make it into some sort of edgy love story, i don’t think every reference lana made to that book was necessarily wrong, but some of them don’t feel like they’re true to the actual nature of the book and what it was actually about (i don’t like the song “lolita” very much for this reason… i can’t help but feel like that song was not about the book and more about the sensationalized version of lolita)

I basically don't have a problem with romanticization/glamorization of bad things. so I respectfully disagree 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

14 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Eek i hope you know its not what i think! Its what i think they were getting at so they could pretend Lana never changed or something

oh no i know you dont think that! you were talking about the tumblr bloggers.

11 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

I basically don't have a problem with romanticization/glamorization of bad things. so I respectfully disagree 

well, if that’s your take on it, i guess, but i feel like glamorizing pedophilia is entirely different from glamorizing depression, y’know? if somebody wants to see their depression as something beautiful and artistic, i actually can relate to that, so i can’t even sit around and act like it’s problematic, some people need to do that to be able to cope with it and get through their days, i just feel like it’s entirely different when it comes to pedophilia, and this all feels a bit ironic because we’re all lana fans and i do personally believe she had a romanticized view of that book, or, at least, had the wrong idea about it/only followed along with the sensationalized version of the story and it’s aesthetics, but i don’t really hold it against her because it was a long time ago

5 hours ago, jamesss said:

I read it! :) it reminds me even more that what someone can be famous for can be so different to who they really are. Like Lana sparking the romanticisation of depression on tumblr- as someone who dealt with depression at that time, i personally dont think Lana's music was my soundtrack for depression (she barely even mentioned being sad if not for another person), but rather a soundtrack for love and intense emotion. That never stops people from doing what they want with her music tho. 

I think the current coquette girlblogger thing would be like cutting off your essay when you mention LFL, and pretending it never progressed from there. Even if they do use one of her more recent songs like Happiness Is A Butterfly (for the serial killer part), they sure as hell dont use images of her from that album era!

Genuinely, i feel for anyone into coquette who wants the aesthetic without the toxic parts but cant escape it! I found the toxic parts of tumblr surprisingly easy to ignore, but its not the same these days, especially for young people who really dont know who they are yet. 

Just some thoughts and random points. You dont need to respond :)

some interesting articles:

https://www.bustle.com/style/tiktok-coquette-aesthetic-trend-meaning-feminine-lolita

https://cherwell.org/2022/01/20/the-dark-side-of-coquette/

For example, activities such as reading, baking, and listening to Lana Del Rey are strongly encouraged.

no further questions ...

14 hours ago, blameitonme said:

i just can’t believe that era is already so popular again, it wasn’t even that long ago. the tiktok trend cycle moves FAST :biblio:

i was the same age as these girls during the actual btd/UV era :biblio:

this

I was literally there on 2012 tumblr living all of it when I was 15 and it's happening again what the fuck

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

8 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

Not us complaining about coquette fans and reading Lolita in the Book Club at the same time. :air:

there’s nothing wrong with reading the book though, as long as you go into it knowing what it’s about and understanding it’s not some sort of complex, edgy love story, it’s entirely different than those who romanticize it like that

4 minutes ago, SoftwareUpgrade said:

Cringey waves of teen girls looking for a digital identity funneled by algorithithmic valdidation participate in cringe digital teen girl internet behavior, more at 6 :lmaoney:

none of these words are in the bible 

On 12/11/2021 at 5:29 AM, Cherry Blossom said:

i’m so sick of these coquette tiktok lolita faceswap lana stans thinking their aka cd they bought off discogs for a stupid price that steals work from graphic designers is real. like it actually frustrates me.

you open the comments and people say things like ‘there were only a few copies made, and they were given out at gigs.’ that’s literally not true. you really believe one of those copies found it’s way to some foreign country and over a decade later that person decided to sell it? like oh my god it’s so annoying and so clearly fake and sorry for the rant but these people ANNOY me so much. the new wave of fans that listen to her pitched unreleased, romanticise all this unhealthy shit, rip off Lizzy Grant’s persona and post those horrid faceswaps of 2008-2011 lana are a literal disease :eartha2:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8vejVTA/

this isn’t an attack on this tiktokker im sure she’s nice and she might not suit the criteria i described above about the coquette subculture i haven’t checked her page

Speaking of gullible tiktok teens: ^^^

Just now, Motorcycle Love Divine said:

none of these words are in the bible 

Damnit

i dont mind this aesthetic at all, just that it tends to get pretty exclusive and.........some people tend to use it to minimise others' experiences? I think its powerful in some sense, but a Pinterest board and a Spotify playlist can only take you so far.

all im gonna say for now is that them finding put me in a movie has to be one of the worst things ever to happen to a lana song 

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif