jimbeam

New TikTok fans: weird or just unhinged?

they make me feel old bc i was a hardcore lana stan during 2011-2015,  which is now being romanticised as if it was 30 yrs ago :hdu:

i feel like these stans have always existed? like i come across instagram accounts with the ‘coquette’ vibe and they look exactly the same, if not copied from tumblr blogs back in the day

i DO miss lana from that era, because her music and everything else she did transported the audience to a world that was so interesting and different at the time. but of course she couldn’t sustain that forever because it wasn’t fully who she is as a person, just a small part. 

There are a few of these fans that are alright, and it's only because unlike most of them, they don't perpetuate their eating disorder onto Lana. That's my issue with this new coquette-aesthetic based fanbase Lana's acquired in the past year or two. You almost never see them post a picture of Lana past 2012, and if they do it's because it's one of those faceswaps. 

Aesthetic wise, I get it and I see how Lana intertwines with that, but I also don't think the way that it's been used to make ED culture more popular is an accident. (and all of this is coming from someone in recovery). 

imageproxy.jpg

i see all of these girlblogger coquette whisper app girls all over pinterest and i find them very immature, toxic, and annoying, some of them aren’t that bad but there’s some who are very discriminatory towards fat people and also extremely full of themselves in the most annoying way, and honestly these accounts and their aesthetics kinda creep me out, but maybe that’s just me and i’m becoming more hypersensitive about everything :runs:

btw i don’t really think there’s anything wrong with liking a particular era, my favorite era is the lizzy grant era because i feel a deep connection with the music, photoshoots, music videos, and performances, but it has nothing to do with her appearance, i think it’s totally fine if somebody prefers or especially enjoys her earlier albums/eras but if it’s because she was “prettier” or “skinnier” then that’s fucked up

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Their interpretations of Lana and her work are shallow, lack actual knowledge about Lana and her music, and they only listen to her and artists like Fiona Apple because of how they represented that modern day Bonnie & Clyde esque bad girl Hollywood reject persona. 

Their social media presences are toxic, they’re cringe worthy and are literally just rehashing Tumblr posts from 2012 but in pastel pink and using Whisper. 

I have no problem with liking a particular era of an artists music because of the styles and aesthetics they adopted at the time, but these people in this group purely like 2007-2014 Lana because of her body type at the time, allusions to drugs and alcohol and bad girl image. 

I don’t have a problem with a few of these coquette people, because a few of them genuinely just like that aesthetic but also treat Lana with human decency and respect and admire her less mainstream work also. However, as a broad generalisation the reason above is why I think this subculture is really toxic and I lowkey hate that Lana has become indoctrinated as some kind of poster child for this social media movement when she has never really aligned herself that way. 

I see them romanticising things like calorie counting, headaches and other effects of malnutrition, suicide, mental health and it’s treatment centres etc and it doesn’t take a genius to understand how harmful that is.

I know Lana’s career benefits from people like this, and Lana has been a polarising figure for singing about some of the topics mentioned above before, but I feel like these coquette fans and Lana show the difference between romanticising and awareness/art.

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

11 hours ago, The Love Witch said:

My thoughts exactly. So apparently the people who enjoy her looks and music from that era the most are sexist and fatphobic? 💀 Okay gurl…

I'd be lying if I said that I prefer how she used to look compared to now. That doesn’t mean that I think she’s fat nowadays or that she looks bad. You can weigh a little more or a little less and still be just as beautiful. But since we're on the topic of fat vs. skinny shaming, the latter is just as much a thing as the former and also quite problematic. On the other hand, saying that it’s okay to be severely obese or overweight or severely underweight and skinny is ALSO extremely problematic. Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle and body/beauty standard is just as bad as shaming people for how they look. I think there is definitely a middle way but some people have a hard time staying there and tend to shift to the extremes. Sadly, they are the ones who are usually the loudest.

There is a very clear distinction between liking BTD and UV the most and pretending Lana from 2015 onwards (and especially now) doesnt exist because she no longer fits the aesthetic. 

I agree with what else you said (sorry i copied that back in so you know i considered your whole comment), but i dont think anyone is saying what i bolded!

9 hours ago, blameitonme said:

they make me feel old bc i was a hardcore lana stan during 2011-2015,  which is now being romanticised as if it was 30 yrs ago :hdu:

i feel like these stans have always existed? like i come across instagram accounts with the ‘coquette’ vibe and they look exactly the same, if not copied from tumblr blogs back in the day

i DO miss lana from that era, because her music and everything else she did transported the audience to a world that was so interesting and different at the time. but of course she couldn’t sustain that forever because it wasn’t fully who she is as a person, just a small part. 

Same, i dabbled in the lolita crowd of tumblr in 2014, and i might not have gone there if it wasnt for Lana.

But there is definitely a difference with the coquette thing tho. 

Edited by Ultra Violet
Misunderstood post above

1 minute ago, Ultra Violet said:

i find it hard to believe that these girls were stans when they were 7 or younger, just waiting for their time to express it on tiktok and tumblr. 

oh no no definitely not, i just meant that what they’re doing is nothing new it’s just kinda rebranded and more toxic.

I'm not sure how to feel about it, I feel like there's nothing wrong with liking someone just based on their image, especially as a celebrity. For example, Bridget Bardot is a horrible person but people love her image, or even Priscilla Presley or Catherine Deneuve, all those 60s women are loved for their image not necessarily their art, as in that I also mean no one is really checking up on them now... I feel like for Lana it's the same thing but they love that 2008-2016 period of her image and her art. I would consider them fans but not stans the way we are, if that makes sense.

I'd be lying myself if I said Lana's image did not attract me to her originally, it was extraordinary and glamourous and not really seen by any other artists at the time.

EDIT:

I also feel like saying "they don't like her now because of her weight" is pushing it because that's not everyone. Lana changed her direction in music and fashion so it's reasonable for anyone to not like her current style / care about new music.

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

Just now, Lindsay Lohan said:

I'm not sure how to feel about it, I feel like there's nothing wrong with liking someone just based on their image, especially as a celebrity. For example, Bridget Bardot is a horrible person but people love her image, or even Priscilla Presley or Catherine Deneuve, all those 60s women are loved for their image not necessarily their art, as in that I also mean no one is really checking up on them now... I feel like for Lana it's the same thing but they love that 2008-2016 period of her image and her art. I would consider them fans but not stans the way we are, if that makes sense.

I'd be lying myself if Lana's image did not attract me to her originally, it was extraordinary and glamourous and not really seen by any other artists at the time.

i don’t think it’s them liking her aesthetics or style from a certain era is the issue, it’s how they don’t think she’s good enough anymore because she doesn’t have the same look/she’s gained weight, as if she doesn’t exist, and i may be wrong because i don’t go on tiktok and i try to avoid those whisper app pins on pinterest but a lot of these fans have a very inaccurate and toxic idea of who lana is, they romanticize eating disorders, drug addiction, among other things, it also just comes off as very contrived, it seems like they only like her or her music because of this assumed aesthetic that isn’t even really there

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

6 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i don’t think it’s them liking her aesthetics or style from a certain era is the issue, it’s how they don’t think she’s good enough anymore because she doesn’t have the same look/she’s gained weight, as if she doesn’t exist, and i may be wrong because i don’t go on tiktok and i try to avoid those whisper app pins on pinterest but a lot of these fans have a very inaccurate and toxic idea of who lana is, they romanticize eating disorders, drug addiction, among other things, it also just comes off as very contrived, it seems like they only like her or her music because of this assumed aesthetic that isn’t even really there

I made an edit on my post before you said this but, I  feel like grouping an entire population of "coquette girlies" isn't fair because from what I have seen, the people who act like that are the odd 1/10 people... I wouldn't say "romanticize eating disorders, drug addiction, etc." is a good representation of what that is at all because you can say the same for a lot of Lana stans as well.

I would also say this aesthetic is there because if it wasn't, Lana would not be a major symbol of these people - like I said it's the look / aesthetic people love.

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

Maybe this is their interpretation based on what they can find from the tumblr sadgirl era. I think Mina Le mightve explained it in her Female Manipulator video, but its kinda like first they are obsessed with a past era (even tho the past is now getting more and more recent), then they try to make it their own (The tumblr softgrunge aesthetic did the same thing with 90s fashion and music).

I heard in Minas video that some people might do it for satire, like making a joke about themselves to cope, but thats definitely not obvious to some of the younger girls like 13 year olds.

9 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

they try to make it their own (The tumblr softgrunge aesthetic did the same thing with 90s fashion and music)

totally agree with this! 

people were more focused on lana’s actual music back in the 2010s but now they’re just using a small part of what she was back then, certain songs etc to fit into a new version of the girly femme aesthetic. most of these people probably aren’t even true lana stans they just like the curated version of her past. idk if this make sense lol

2 minutes ago, blameitonme said:

totally agree with this! 

people were more focused on lana’s actual music back in the 2010s but now they’re just using a small part of what she was back then, certain songs etc to fit into a new version of the girly femme aesthetic. most of these people probably aren’t even true lana stans they just like the curated version of her past. idk if this make sense lol

Yeah, its pretty clear that they werent online when Lana got big (hopefully 7 and 6 year olds werent on tumblr! ), so what they think she is/was is based on an internet archeological finds of how Lana was already slightly distorted online in the 2010s, and now its made even worse :smokes:

2 minutes ago, Thoth said:

As a fellow key west lime nymphet, winter fairy grunge coquette and a coconut femcel; I find this thread a bit offensive.

Its alright, your blog is always there to vent to :silly:

Pls know im joking, ily

y’all… i literally am trying so hard to hold back from going off in this thread :awkney2: as a youthful individual, im being genuine when i say that i know SO much about the tumblr 2012-2016 sad girl era. i did my english final on it im NOT even kidding. 

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif