jimbeam

New TikTok fans: weird or just unhinged?

Just now, jamesss said:

y’all… i literally am trying so hard to hold back from going off in this thread :awkney2: as a youthful individual, im being genuine when i say that i know SO much about the tumblr 2012-2016 sad girl era. i did my english final on it im NOT even kidding. 

lmk if you want me to link it 

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

there’s also some fans who think liking the lizzy grant era is wrong and problematic because it was apparently a bad time of her life or that it’s romanticizing poverty, prostitution, drugs, domestic abuse, all of this stuff that had nothing to do with lana’s life during that time lol… when i think of that era, i think of fireworks, amusement parks, beaches, sparkly things, nostalgia, happiness, my own life and memories, nothing bad 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

3 minutes ago, jamesss said:

It won't load to me but I've been on Google Scholar for ages looking for thesis and stuff on Lana. I might've seen your essay. Does it talk about Tumblr specifically? Because I think I have it downloaded on my computer lol.

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

1 minute ago, niandra lades said:

It won't load to me but I've been on Google Scholar for ages looking for thesis and stuff on Lana. I might've seen your essay. Does it talk about Tumblr specifically? Because I think I have it downloaded on my computer lol.

Just now, Ultra Violet said:

Wont load for me either :/ 

i shared it through my school email which is like not good because it won’t work so let me try to download it as a PDF and attach it here sorry guys hold on i may be 16 but i literally don’t know how technology works :hoe:

Just now, jamesss said:

i shared it through my school email which is like not good because it won’t work so let me try to download it as a PDF and attach it here sorry guys hold on i may be 16 but i literally don’t know how technology works :hoe:

Lolol! Of course, we can wait!

If anyone is interested, this is the final project I was talking about on the other page: "Tell me you own me, gimme them coins": postfeminist fascination with Lolita, Lana Del Rey, and sugar culture on Tumblr".

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

1 minute ago, jamesss said:

how do i like upload my PDF from my files app?? i have an iphone but idk what to do. its like downloaded as a pdf into my files 

you could try copy & pasting the text into the pastebin website

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

17 minutes ago, jamesss said:

y’all… i literally am trying so hard to hold back from going off in this thread :awkney2: as a youthful individual, im being genuine when i say that i know SO much about the tumblr 2012-2016 sad girl era. i did my english final on it im NOT even kidding. 

I promise ill read your essay later, but i want to say that when i said theres no way the 7/6 year olds of 2014 would know much about the sadgirl tumblr era, i meant specifically the ones who have warped it into coquette and never bothered to look further into Lana as an artist! :teehee:

Just now, Ultra Violet said:

I promise ill read your essay later, but i want to say that when i said theres no way the 7/6 year olds of 2014 would know much about the sadgirl tumblr era, i meant specifically the ones who have warped it into coquette and never bothered to look further into Lana as an artist! :teehee:

no yeah i didn’t experience it first hand, but i have a feeling since my birth mom birthed me when she was like 17, and she was the peak tumblr, i have an example. 

i guess there’s such a clash between new fans and old fans bc the trend cycle is moving SO fast

‘old fans’ aren’t even old, the youngest just a few years older than the ‘coquette girlies’ or whatever but there’s a huge disconnect bc lana is still very much active as an artist

where as in the past if this happened it would’ve been with an artist who was popular 20+ years ago idk

My main problem is that the newer fans seem to take her lyrics too seriously to a damaging point (in my opinion) because they're shaping other newer fans' "knowledge" of Lana lore. For instance, I saw a post on Reddit the other day that was "dissecting" Carmen and said Lana was a prostitute like it was a fact. I think the post got deleted thank god. There is no evidence of that. Sex work is not something that is shameful but I still think it's wrong to be saying that about people when all there is to go off of is lyrics of a song.