YourGirl666

How to Expand My Music Taste

I only listen to like, 5-6 artists most of the time. How to break the cycle? I want to start listening to more artists, but I don't know how to do it. Even when I really enjoy a song from a random dude, I drop it after a few days or worse, hours (the same for albums). Then after that, I go back to the same 10ish songs I listen to everyday. I hate this. How can I expand my music taste and actually accept it?

Hey, I just edited the title for a bit more clarity, but this is a great topic. I literally don't know how to force myself to listen to other artists - thankfully it just happens with some music in similar styles I love, but it's like, I don't really know how to give things a proper chance since when I'm listening I'm like "when can I go back to the stuff I know I like". 

3lfQEhw.png

Who all do you listen to? I could give some recommendations, based on who you like, possibly. Or, ask me for a playlist of sad songs, happy songs, songs with bad bitch energy...

My siri era :clapback:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

What kind of stuff do you like now? I usually look into my favorites' inspirations (as someone mentioned above), and typically that works out well. I also try some stuff in my usual genres on the new music friday playlists. Honestly, it's like a needle in a haystack using that method, but I have found some newer artists I really like that way. 

♬  ♥  .。.    .。.   ♥  ♬

There are violets in your eyes
There are guns that blaze around you
There are roses in between my thighs
And a fire that surrounds you

Tbh actively searching for new music never works for me. I usually just come across songs I really like by coincidence.

For example after watching Lost In Translation I listened to the soundtrack which includes Just Like Honey by The Jesus and Mary Chain and so that's how I started listening to their albums.

Maybe watching a movie to discover new music is a little weird but I can definitely say that movies I really like usually also have soundtracks I like. 

Something else you can try is searching for playlists of a certain genre. There's channels on youtube dedicated to genres, e.g. if you like shoegaze and dream pop, David Dean Burkhart is the perfect channel for you. That channel made me discover Men I Trust.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

Here is my strategy for discovering music:

• listening to "song radios" on Spotify (which are songs by similar artists to your favorite songs) or song recommendations on Youtube
  • normal radio listening (as simple as it is), I also found an Internet radio that only plays music requests from users, which is very interesting
  • I have an account on RadioTunes which has many channels for different music tastes
  • watching for new releases at https://www.albumoftheyear.org/ , Must Hear Albums and albums that have a good user score (there's also rateyourmusic.com )
  • and finally, watching for threads of other artists on Lanaboards 👀

Personally, I use site linked below; just go to “Make your own chart” to get started! You can filter by genre, popularity, themes, the mood, and more!

For example, you could type in “bittersweet” and “alienation” as descriptors and then whatever genre you want (slowcore, pop, ambient, etc). 

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

5 hours ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

I usually look into what my favorite artist’s inspirations / interests are…

:ma:

This!

I also look up the production credits of songs I like and just listen through the discography of the producers/engineers.

The RateYourMusic charts are great if you want to discover different genres, I went through a good chunk of their top 5000 when I first really got into music, over a decade ago.

Or if you just want to discover artists similar to the ones already like, you can just search by genre.

1 hour ago, BlueINK said:

For example after watching Lost In Translation I listened to the soundtrack which includes Just Like Honey by The Jesus and Mary Chain and so that's how I started listening to their albums.

Maybe watching a movie to discover new music is a little weird but I can definitely say that movies I really like usually also have soundtracks I like. 

this! everything u said is exactly me lmaoo - sofia coppola's soundtracks were so formative to my music taste as a kid. it all started with alone in kyoto by air on lost in translation and literally everything on the marie antoinette soundtrack :wowcry:

i've also used spotify for years - song radio is such a brilliant tool to explore a genre/sound further! and i love playlisting sm so i think that helps keep my taste as varied as it is, and i think just genuinely being curious about genres unknown/unfamiliar to u and discovering what they have to offer.  i also know there is always always something to love, so i never really feel the need to retreat.  not everything is easy listening (or has to be) and i kinda love a challenge. i love to see how different musicians approach a mood or a feeling - and in the end, i just want to be understood through music as much as i can, across time and genres 

mUENGN9.png

This is a really niche way of doing it, and isn’t the only way, but I bought myself an iPod and put a lot of albums on there that I have never/dont often listen to. Then I leave my phone at home and go on walks to town etc and listen to these albums with no distractions and without changing back to another album. I guess you could do this by downloading certain albums on your streaming service? 

A better way of doing it though is just make playlists. I have so many playlists on my phone that I have added lots of different songs to and I just put them on shuffle. They end up being hours long but it helps me expand my music taste! 

Also, if there are any specific artists or albums you want to get into, I suggest watching interviews / analysis’ of the records/musicians as it really helps you appreciate the record before listening. One of my favourite channels for things like this is ‘Middle 8’.

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

4 hours ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

this! everything u said is exactly me lmaoo - sofia coppola's soundtracks were so formative to my music taste as a kid. it all started with alone in kyoto by air on lost in translation and literally everything on the marie antoinette soundtrack :wowcry:

Sofia‘s movies have the best soundtracks. She‘s so good at picking the right songs to match the atmosphere of certain scenes.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

Someone already mentioned it but my go to way to discover new music are Spotify Radios (basically what autoplays after an album/song). It's pretty accurate at playing songs similar to the stuff you were listening to but no necessarily very well known or just recent songs. Sometimes it plays songs you already overplayed tho :hide: but in general is a very practical way of expanding your taste. A lot of my favorite artists right now randomly showed up on those playlist and I've been obsessed since.

The related artists part doesn't really do it for me but I guess it can also be a nice tool for that.

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, takeitdoen said:

Hey, I just edited the title for a bit more clarity, but this is a great topic. I literally don't know how to force myself to listen to other artists - thankfully it just happens with some music in similar styles I love, but it's like, I don't really know how to give things a proper chance since when I'm listening I'm like "when can I go back to the stuff I know I like". 

Thx! It's really annoying to be like this cause I end up missing so much cool stuff

14 hours ago, Hydroponic Weeds said:

Who all do you listen to? I could give some recommendations, based on who you like, possibly. Or, ask me for a playlist of sad songs, happy songs, songs with bad bitch energy...

My siri era :clapback:

14 hours ago, MagicalTrancePotion said:

What kind of stuff do you like now? I usually look into my favorites' inspirations (as someone mentioned above), and typically that works out well. I also try some stuff in my usual genres on the new music friday playlists. Honestly, it's like a needle in a haystack using that method, but I have found some newer artists I really like that way. 

Lana, Taylor Swift's last 2 albums and a few random songs from her pop era, Phoebe Bridgers, Radiohead, Lady Gaga (mainly BTW and ARTPOP), Alexandra Savior and Arctic Monkeys/TLSP (:

9 hours ago, BlueINK said:

Tbh actively searching for new music never works for me. I usually just come across songs I really like by coincidence.

Something else you can try is searching for playlists of a certain genre. There's channels on youtube dedicated to genres, e.g. if you like shoegaze and dream pop, David Dean Burkhart is the perfect channel for you. That channel made me discover Men I Trust.

Sometimes I do this too, it's a really great way to discover new music

14 hours ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

I usually look into what my favorite artist’s inspirations / interests are…

:ma:

9 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

Here is my strategy for discovering music:

• listening to "song radios" on Spotify (which are songs by similar artists to your favorite songs) or song recommendations on Youtube
  • normal radio listening (as simple as it is), I also found an Internet radio that only plays music requests from users, which is very interesting
  • I have an account on RadioTunes which has many channels for different music tastes
  • watching for new releases at https://www.albumoftheyear.org/ , Must Hear Albums and albums that have a good user score (there's also rateyourmusic.com )
  • and finally, watching for threads of other artists on Lanaboards 👀

9 hours ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Personally, I use site linked below; just go to “Make your own chart” to get started! You can filter by genre, popularity, themes, the mood, and more!

For example, you could type in “bittersweet” and “alienation” as descriptors and then whatever genre you want (slowcore, pop, ambient, etc). 

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/

7 hours ago, Data said:

The RateYourMusic charts are great if you want to discover different genres, I went through a good chunk of their top 5000 when I first really got into music, over a decade ago.

Or if you just want to discover artists similar to the ones already like, you can just search by genre.

7 hours ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

i've also used spotify for years - song radio is such a brilliant tool to explore a genre/sound further! and i love playlisting sm so i think that helps keep my taste as varied as it is, and i think just genuinely being curious about genres unknown/unfamiliar to u and discovering what they have to offer.  i also know there is always always something to love, so i never really feel the need to retreat.  not everything is easy listening (or has to be) and i kinda love a challenge. i love to see how different musicians approach a mood or a feeling - and in the end, i just want to be understood through music as much as i can, across time and genres 

2 hours ago, Venice Peach said:

Someone already mentioned it but my go to way to discover new music are Spotify Radios (basically what autoplays after an album/song). It's pretty accurate at playing songs similar to the stuff you were listening to but no necessarily very well known or just recent songs. Sometimes it plays songs you already overplayed tho :hide: but in general is a very practical way of expanding your taste. A lot of my favorite artists right now randomly showed up on those playlist and I've been obsessed since.

The related artists part doesn't really do it for me but I guess it can also be a nice tool for that.

These are very helpful tips for discovering new music (some of these new to me, can't wait to check them out). The main problem tho is sticking to them, cause I always end up going back to the same tracks :crai:

7 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

This is a really niche way of doing it, and isn’t the only way, but I bought myself an iPod and put a lot of albums on there that I have never/dont often listen to. Then I leave my phone at home and go on walks to town etc and listen to these albums with no distractions and without changing back to another album. I guess you could do this by downloading certain albums on your streaming service? 

A better way of doing it though is just make playlists. I have so many playlists on my phone that I have added lots of different songs to and I just put them on shuffle. They end up being hours long but it helps me expand my music taste! 

Also, if there are any specific artists or albums you want to get into, I suggest watching interviews / analysis’ of the records/musicians as it really helps you appreciate the record before listening. One of my favourite channels for things like this is ‘Middle 8’.

I don't have an IPod, but I think blocking (sorry Lana) my main artists for some time might help. I don't know if I can do it. I don't feel like I can breath without ME! or Boom Like That :crying5:

Thank you all so much! I'm gonna try to put these tips in practice and tell you how it went. 

ask people in your life for their favourite artists or albums and listen to them, whatever you like out of them, branch off further :true:

or in my case, my Aunt gave me a box of old LPs from her attic and ive been listening to a few of them every now and then

7 hours ago, Venice Peach said:

speaking of Spotify, i at one point discovered Elyanna and Vicky Chen after going through the top songs of each country's top songs playlists back in mid/early 2020 :true:

I used to listen to new albums every friday when they came out, not all them but ones I think that maybe i'd like, some people I heard about on here as people other Lana fans like and then mostly hip-hop. I got into a lot of new people from it and a lot of songs i'd probably never have heard if I didn't.

I think older albums already released theres too much to pick where to start that it puts you off, so would be better starting with new albums.

Whenever I've really clung to a new artist, it's not because they remind me of someone I already listen to, it's because they introduce something new to me.

I think ive had major expansions in my music taste a few times in my life. And by major I mean adding 5-10 new artists to the mix, usually focusing on only the new stuff for a long time before letting it settle back in with my old music. 

One was around the same time as discovering Lana, and it's because I had a whole new genre to explore (indie/indie-pop music) when I was previously strictly rock/metal. 

Another was when I dove into the psychedelic/electronic genres, and then another when I got more into this revival of emo/pop punk. 

There's usually also something shifting in my life that prompts me to do that. 

Indie= I was letting go of a lot of teenage anger and becoming more open without worrying about being "different from everyone else"

Psychedelic= escapism from young adult reality checks

Pop punk= angst returned as I needed to heal shit from the past 

So in my experience, expanding my music taste has never worked when it's forced. There has to be some kind of big change within me that makes me want to branch out and find new things to help me cope :bop: