The Siren

How many different Genres of music do you listen to?

im interested to see what LanaBoards has in their libraries :lolliney:

here's my complete list out of what i have in my iTunes library

Spoiler

Acoustic Folk

Acoustic Pop

Acoustic Rock

Alternative - im editing my metadata atm

Alternative Metal

Alternative Pop

Alternative R&B

Alternative Rock

Ambient

Arabic Pop

Art Rock

Axé

Baroque Pop

Black Metal

Bubblegum Pop

Chamber Folk

Chanson

i have Christmas music as a separate genre

Country

Country & Folk

Country Pop

Country Rock

Dance

Dancehall

Dance-Pop

Deep House

Dirty Blues (queen Lucille Bogan)

Disco

Downtempo

Dream Pop

EDM

Electro-Folk

Electro-House

Electronic/Electronica

Electropop

Electro-Punk

Electro-Rock

Emo Pop

Euro Dance

Euro House

Euro Pop

Flamenco

Folk

Folk Rock

Forró

French Electronic

French Pop/rock

Funk

Garage Rock

Glam Pop

Glam Punk

Glam Rock

Gothic Metal

Gothic Rock

Groove Metal

Grunge

Halloween (same as xmas)

Hard Rock

Hardcore Punk

Heavy Metal

Hi-NRG

Hip-Hop/Rap

House

Hyperpop

Indie Folk

Indie Pop

Indie Pop/Rock

Indie Rock

Industrial

Industrial Pop

Industrial Metal

Japanese Metal

Japanese Pop

Japanese Rock

Jazz

Korean Pop

Korean Post-Hardcore

Korean R&B

Korean Rock

Latin Dance-Pop

Latin Electronic

Latin Funk

Latin Pop

Latin Pop/Rock

Latin Techno

Lo-Fi

Mando Metal

Mando Pop

Melodic Death Metal

Melodic Metal

Metal

Metalcore

New Jack Swing

New Wave

Nu-Metal

Nu-Metalcore

Orchestral

Poetry

Pop

Pop Punk

Pop/Rock

Pop-Funk

Post-Grunge

Post-Hardcore

Post-Punk

Power Metal

Power Pop

Progressive Metal

Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Pop

Psychedelic Rock

Punk Rock

R&B

R&B/Soul

Rap

Rap Metal

Reggaeton

Rock

Rock and Roll

Russian Pop (Sergey Lazarev)

Singer/Songwriter

Skate Punk

Soft Rock

Soul

Soundtrack (separate for the same reason as Xmas and Halloween)

Spoken Word

Synthpop

Thrash Metal

Visual Kei

Just now, sexyslutboy said:

(this doesn't answer your question) i don't know much about visual kei but i do know malice mizer is cool :true:

ive only heard a little visual kei myself, DADAROMA, kizu, Rakugaki, and another one i cant remember the name of cos it was something like xx-aa or some shit :rip:

I don't think Spotify has the options to look at genres like that, as far as I know, but wow, TASTE,! Your list is excellent. I think mine would be most of what you listed too. 

Would you be so kind to share with me who the artists are that are Gothic Rock & Gothic Metal? I'm curious :flutter:

Lol I guess my iTunes Genre tag is very unorganised, I usually sublabel everything I have on either Pop, Alternative or Indie so :um3:

But I'd say I have:

Synthwave

Pop

Electropop

Indie pop

Alternative

Alternative rock

Chamber pop

Folk

Electronic

Rock

Art pop

Hip-Hop/Rap

Mostly.

Spoiler

I wanna get into K-pop so bad tho :bebe: my friend suggested BTS and I've heard some bops here and there but their catalog is so big I doubt I'll ever get to :hide: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

8 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Lol I guess my iTunes Genre tag is very unorganised, I usually sublabel everything I have on either Pop, Alternative or Indie so :um3:

ive very recently started going through everythign and adding the sub genres rather than just having pop, alternative, rock, metal, etc :true:

its kinda therapeutic tbh 

18 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I don't think Spotify has the options to look at genres like that, as far as I know, but wow, TASTE,! Your list is excellent. I think mine would be most of what you listed too. 

Would you be so kind to share with me who the artists are that are Gothic Rock & Gothic Metal? I'm curious :flutter:

im not done separating everything by genre so the list is definitely missing artists, plus i use lossless so a lot has been moved to my shared google drive :true:

gothic metal - In This Moment (my fav album by them and maybe of all time?)

Gothic Rock - Evanescence

thats literally it at this point :deadbanana:

24 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

I wanna get into K-pop so bad tho :bebe: my friend suggested BTS and I've heard some bops here and there but their catalog is so big I doubt I'll ever get to :hide: 

i suggest to avoid BTS unless you wanna turn yourself off of the genre as a whole :true:

i actually kept a youtube playlist of most of 100+ songs i first listened to from the K-Pop/J-pop/etc genres

Edited by The Siren

24 minutes ago, The Siren said:

ive very recently started going through everythign and adding the sub genres rather than just having pop, alternative, rock, metal, etc :true:

its kinda therapeutic tbh 

im not done separating everything by genre so the list is definitely missing artists, plus i use lossless so a lot has been moved to my shared google drive :true:

gothic metal - In This Moment (my fav album by them and maybe of all time?)

Gothic Rock - Evanescence

thats literally it at this point :deadbanana:

Ah sweet, I'm still a big Evanescence fan, always :party: I never gave ITM much of a go, but I will now because my sister also loves them. 

10 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Ah sweet, I'm still a big Evanescence fan, always :party: I never gave ITM much of a go, but I will now because my sister also loves them. 

imo, skip the first album except for the title track. its v unpolished but the title track is amazing.

i'd rank the albums in this order

1. Black Widow
  2. Blood
  3. A Star- Crossed Wasteland
  4. Ritual
  5. The Dream / Call Me EP (theres a live version of Into the Light on the best of compilation that i definitely suggest listening to)
  6. Mother
  7. leave Beautiful Tragedy for last :true: 

Two. Pop and Indie/alt. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

i like many different styles of music

i’d say i like alternative, i feel like “alternative” can mean a lot of different things, but the only alternative artist i can think of is lana del rey, her music is just so unique & isn’t like anything else i’ve heard elsewhere

i like rock, some rock artists i like include grunge musicans (nirvana, alice in chains, & soundgarden) & there’s quite a few rock songs i like (sweet child o’ mine, stairway to heaven), also 60’s rock (the doors)

surf noir :wink:

i really love songs which are psychedelic, atmospheric, melancholic, slow & moody (mazzy star, certain songs by the doors, certain songs by lana)

acoustic, folky stuff is very enjoyable

i also quite like songs which are long (6+ minutes)

i like pop music if it’s quality & creative, pop music from the 2000s is a good example of this

i like quality songwriting & poetic lyrics

i really need to discover more artists though :rip: i feel like i’m only truly familiar with a few

pink rose gif - Free animated GIF - PicMix

1 hour ago, The Siren said:

imo, skip the first album except for the title track. its v unpolished but the title track is amazing.

i'd rank the albums in this order

1. Black Widow
  2. Blood
  3. A Star- Crossed Wasteland
  4. Ritual
  5. The Dream / Call Me EP (theres a live version of Into the Light on the best of compilation that i definitely suggest listening to)
  6. Mother
  7. leave Beautiful Tragedy for last :true: 

:flutter:thank you!! I just checked my Spotify and I have 4 liked songs, 3 from Mother and 1 from Black Widow :ohno: 

Alt rock

Alt pop

Indie rock

Indie pop

Hollywood Sadcore :byeh8rs:

Rap

West coast hip hop

Grunge

Heavy metal

Soundtracks

Instrumentals

Blues

Jazz

Prog rock

Psychedelic rock

Trip hop

Singer/songwriter

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I edit my metadata occasionally but not too distant from what it was originally tagged as

Alternative

Americana (Amigo the Devil king)

Audiobook (Violet)

Blues

Dance

Electronic

Electronica
Folk (More Amigo the Devil)

Hip-Hop/R&B

Hip-Hop/Rap

Indie Rock

Pop

Pop Latino

R&B Soul

Rock

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

For some reason the artists I listen to can't really be described by one genre.

Like, what genre is Lana? "Alternative"? That's so unspecific. She's good at doing anything really.

I definitely like rock influences and I listen to 60s and 70s rock like the Stones for example. But other than that I don't even know what genre the other artists and bands are...

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

hmm a lot 

Spoiler

in general, i love a lot of the early alternatives and new wave - talking heads, new order, the smiths, lou reed, cocteau twins, CAN, david bowie, the cure, etc.

branching off, i like dream pop and shoegaze a lot - the radio dept., mbv, pale saints, broadcast, slowdive - i feel v at home in this kind of music, and love its ambient/meditative qualities

loveee rock and its variations - psychedelic rock (funkadelic, the doors, the zombies, pink floyd, the beach boys, pink floyd, the rolling stones), country rock (neil young, roy orbison), experimental rock (slint, stereolab, the velvet underground, etc.), and folk rock (crosby stills nash n young !! + george harrison's influence on the beatles as well as his solo work, america, bread, etc.)

i just love folk in general and the contemplative tone/focus on lyricism - nico, tim buckley, vashti bunyan, elliott smith, leonard cohen, may jailer :true:

have to credit lana w helping me discover a love for jazz bc i was so curious why she loved the genre sm. then i discovered the likes of pharoah sanders, dorothy ashby, yusef lateef, malatu astatke, john coltrane, alice coltrane, miles davis, gabor szabo, etc. i especially love when the sound is spiritual and/or experimental (jazz fusion), like david axelrod. and bossa nova like astrud gilberto 

will always love r&b and soul (isaac hayes, shuggie otis, ray charles, ottis redding, marvin gaye, al green, allen touissant, the supremes, dusty springfield). 60s country/pop musicians like skeeter davis, patsy cline, nancy sinatra, the shangri-las, peggy lee. 

and disco which decidedly does NOT suck (pino d'angio is a vibe, as well as revival disco like todd terje + the avalanches) and electronic music that leans experimental (vangelis, ryuichi sakamoto + his band yellow magic orchestra is v good)

alternative hip hop w jazz/soul/funk influence. i'm thinking mf doom + a tribe called quest <3

y2k techno is also rly fun - air, washed out, toro y moi, daft punk + aughts britney and gwen stefani forever

then i also love ambient music - brian eno ofc (tho i love his other more experimental rock stuff too, like his album w john cale, or w david byrne - regiment might be one of the best songs ever) + aphex twin, boards of canada, harold budd

i like heavy metal - black sabbath, led zeppelin. then it warps into doom metal stuff too like sleep and electric wizard, again for its meditative quality

then there are some artists i find difficult to place: lana and arthur russell come to mind tho they are v different from each other

in the end, i just love any music that has a dreamy/ethereal quality to its sound or lyricism, and i can find it in a lot of genres :trisha:<3 umm lol i couldn't just list this shit :die: 

mUENGN9.png