baddisease

Supreme Court overturns constitutional right to abortion

4 minutes ago, ImenaOphelia said:

Well, I partially agree - the politics in Poland are... specific, and the current government has never hidden being against abortion, but on the other hand... wasn't changing abortion law in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic (which has claimed many victims in Poland) as much shocking? Rumor has it, that the government changed the law for a reason - to draw attention from a tragic pandemic situation at the time (which was mainly their fault lmao).
I know you meant the political background, but overall, both situations are shocking.

Maybe I am simple hardened when it comes to Poland, as my best friend is from there. When she's not teaching me overly useful words like owca or herbata (:hide:), she's usually talking about politics.

Do you think that the majority in Poland is for or against the possibility of abortion?

12 minutes ago, COCC said:

When she's not teaching me overly useful words like owca or herbata (:hide:)

Herbata is actually very useful! So many people in Poland are crazy about it, including me :flutter:

13 minutes ago, COCC said:

Do you think that the majority in Poland is for or against the possibility of abortion?

If by "possibility", you mean possibility in case of r*pe, or if the mother's life is in danger, then a big, BIG majority is for it - according to "United Surveys" survey, only 5.2% of Poles want abortion to be illegal even in cases I mentioned before. The same survey says that 31% of Poles want liberalization of the law, which means the possibility of abortion without the necessity of sharing a reason. But, the biggest part (43%) wants the abortion compromise to be back - it was a statute, which had been applying in Poland from 1993 to 2020. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Poland#20th_century. But, to be honest, I live in an environment, where almost everybody is for the possibility of free abortion. So it depends on where you live, I guess

On 7/1/2022 at 7:50 AM, COCC said:

In the USA, on the other hand, it is unexpected (at least for me), especially since the judges have sworn not to overturn Roe v. Wade. They have therefore lied in cold blood. It is also apparently against the will of the majority of the population. And it was not a party, but a body that is supposed to be apolitical.

i think you're a little confused on how the supreme court works - the supreme court never swears not to overturn any sort of precedent. lots of bad precedents have been overturned in the past. you are right that it is against the will of the majority of the population, but the supreme court isn't concerned with the population, they're concerned with the constitution. their job is to analyze and interpret the constitution in order to determine what it protects and which rights it guarantees to all americans. by overturning roe v wade, the ruling in which they determined abortion is protected by the constitution, they have made it so abortion is not protected by the constitution. since the constitution binds the entire United States to the amendments, abortion not being protected federally under the constitution means that it is now up to the individual states. while i vehemently disagree with abortion not being protected federally, it is not really explicit in the constitution, which is why im not surprised that it was overturned by an overwhelmingly conservative supreme court.

for so many years the United States has missed chances to codify roe into law and it's really unfortunate that we took it for granted. i wish a constitutional amendment could be proposed but it would never pass because it needs either two thirds of both houses of congress to approve it or 2/3 of the states in america requesting it. while the majority of people in america support abortion, it isn't that simple because we are a republic and not a direct democracy. each state has their own say on the matter according to how our republic is set up, and just because the majority of people live in the larger blue states, our democracy is set up in a way that each state is equally considered in matters like this.

anyways imo abortion not being federally protected is very fucked up but honestly not surprising 

15 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

i think you're a little confused on how the supreme court works - the supreme court never swears not to overturn any sort of precedent.

I know. I meant that the justices lied during their Senate confirmation hearings. All of them emphasized it was settled precedent.

6 hours ago, COCC said:

I know. I meant that the justices lied during their Senate confirmation hearings. All of them emphasized it was settled precedent.

oh yeah this is true. all the recent additions to the court besides amy comey barrett said roe v wade is fairly settled and they would likely not be overturning it. barrett did say in her hearing that she would not consider roe a "super precedent" (one very unlikely to be overturned)

as I knew this Supreme Court decision would have ripples forever to come, the clowns are acting out already:

Conservative Texas lawyer is fighting to limit access to PrEP

In the wake of Roe vs Wade being overturned, conservative Jonathan Mitchell has set his sights on dismantling LGBTQ+ rights. 

The conservative Texan lawyer who laid the groundwork for Senate Bill 8, or the Texas Heartbeat Act, has begun targeting access to PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis medications). The private attorney, Jonathan Mitchell, has a long history of defending right-wing religious positions including abortion access, anti-LGBTQ+ rights, anti-union and anti-affirmative action lawsuits.

Having previously argued in front of the Supreme Court four times defending Texas’ laws against same-sex marriage and abortion, Mitchell has urged the Court to not be hesitant about other rulings it might knock down. He argued that Obergefell vs Hodges and Lawrence vs Texas- the rulings that deemed bans of gay marriage and gay sex unconstitutional, were as lawless as abortion rights