greymillenium

Interview: KulturSPIEGEL 12/2012 [German]

We need lola here to translate.

Asking the journalist before the interview even starts if he likes her songs comes out a little arrogant. Would she give a different interview or answers if he said "no"?? Is not the first time she asks journalists if they like her music. Does everyone has to like her? Isn't one of the primary purposes of art, music, cinema to inspire a discussion, generate feelings and sensantions? Some like others don't. Better be dislked than get a numb reaction. Numb is an artist tomb

That bit immediately reminded me of the oystermag interview.

http://oystermag.com/lana-del-rey-interview

But you know I kind of get her. It's much more pleasant to talk to someone who enjoys your work than someone who is so obviously a critic. Like in uni a group of people including myself meet weekly to share creative writing. I read pieces to get constructive criticism and hear opinions but there is one guy who just hates my writing style and doesn't seem particularly fond of me as a person. Every week he slams my work and doesn't give real reasons as to why. I guess when you're famous you're going to meet criticism at every turn but sometimes is nice to know that you're talking to someone who appreciates what you do.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

it makes me sad she feels such resent towards america, her own country, where i live. if i could have five minutes with her, i'd show her that at least one fan here loves her, on behalf of so many.

tumblr_miebj9EePO1qiz2n4o1_250.jpg

Interesting article! Confirms she still considers herself Catholic, volunteered for Meals on wheels on thanksgiving, and will be w/ her fam on christmas in Lake placid.. the thing that bothers me about Lana is just how much she mentions her charitable work and how it's her "passion".. it almost seems like a marketing tool to make people not be so vicious....

Lana Del Rey: I would like to ask you something in advance: Do you actually like my music? Yes: cultural mirror. Why you ask? Oh thanks, thanks, that's surprising.Most journalists hate my songs. Believe me, I speak from experience, because this year I have been extensively abused for my work.

CONSIDERS HERSELF A CATHOLIC.

YAAAAAAS. :bodyisready:

FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW. TAKE ME TO THE FINISH LINE.

We need lola here to translate.

That bit immediately reminded me of the oystermag interview.

http://oystermag.com...l-rey-interview

But you know I kind of get her. It's much more pleasant to talk to someone who enjoys your work than someone who is so obviously a critic. Like in uni a group of people including myself meet weekly to share creative writing. I read pieces to get constructive criticism and hear opinions but there is one guy who just hates my writing style and doesn't seem particularly fond of me as a person. Every week he slams my work and doesn't give real reasons as to why. I guess when you're famous you're going to meet criticism at every turn but sometimes is nice to know that you're talking to someone who appreciates what you do.

I do creaitve writing also. Cool that you do 2! I get what you say about being better 2 talk to someone who enjoys your work and sometimes some critics can be kind of mean and out of place. But Lana sometimes sounds like a cry baby or someone incredible need or a little arrogant. I think she takes her songs to seriously like they are a work of her own time and people should see it. I love her videos and songs but sometimes she bugs me (not the music but her "persona"in interviews or how she presents herself) other times I like what she says. But all that critic that happened in US is in part Lana's thought because she said that she "felt pretty and thought she sounded good"when questioned about SNL. She didn't even joked about it saying "ok that wasn't my best but I was nervous and all". Saying she liked her own performance and that she looked pretty was like giving to the journalists that trashed her a machine gun loaded and with plenty of ammunition to just trash her even more. She never accepts any critic and always tries to get away on top. That bugs me 2. Maybe she was in a very dificult moment when all that happened back in january, who knows? And those critics got her hard. But they didn't trash her that much at least not character wise I think. They are much harder with Gaga and Rihanna. Those ones are trashed on their character wich I think is way worse. I don't even like Gaga or Rihanna but I see they get trashed a lot. I think US critics were so out of place and over the top with the authenticity issue hat she should just have laugh about it and get over with.

glgcDdT.gif

yes, people trash her character. rarely do they mention the music, actually. they call her fake, they constantly insinuate that she is vapid, that she lacks talent, emotion, a soul, etc. people are particularly harsh when it comes to her. it's unreasonable and kind of depressing knowing that the mere surface of things can totally contaminate another persons thoughts and feelings about you. I understand why she feels the way she does, the idea of 'beauty' seems paradoxically taboo in the states (just like 'sex'). the fact that she's like, quiet and weird and shit certainly doesn't help her case. although it's expected to have people not like your music, I think journalists often don't like her. that oyster interviewer was a particular cunt in my opinion. by asking if they like her music, she's asking if they like her, in a way, since her music is an extension of herself

the media in general seems to be coming around though. the more recent articles have moved from tones of visciousness to a backhanded passivity

ZRBNill.jpg

Heaven is a great word

by Dallach, Christoph

The pop-superstar Lana Del Rey, 26, about disfavour, the passion of social workers and the happiness that lies within a christmas carol "I just have to write 'Shut up' somewhere and Millions of people think it's great. I find that creepy."

Lana Del Rey: I'd like to ask you something beforehand: Do you like my music?

KulturSPIEGEL: Yes. Why do you ask?

Lana Del Rey: Oh thanks, thank you, that's surprising. Most journalists hate my songs. Believe me, I speak from experience, because I've been insulted extensively this year.

KulturSPIEGEL: Nonetheless, your album "Born to Die" became on of the bestsellers of this year. Do you have any idea why you polarise like that?

Lana Del Rey: It's a mystery to me. Maybe the thing is that once in a blue moon someone appears in Pop with whom many can't do anything with and recently, that's been me. Then that works like "whispers down the lane": Some writer spreads a little, weird, mean story about me which is carried further and keeps increasing in lunacy and malice until it doesn't have to do anything with me anymore.

KulturSPIEGEL: You've also been heavily criticised as a pretty marionette of cunning music managers. Would that have happened to a man?

Lana Del Rey: I've been approached with the alleged misogyny a lot but that's not what it's about in my case. I think that's something personal. My songs which I really do write myself, are very intimate and because such feelings seem shady to a lot of people, they conclude that I have to be a marionette. But that just illustrates their helplessness.

KulturSPIEGEL: Is the melancholy in your music artistically arranged or a case for the therapist?

Lana Del Rey: Neither. There's always been a melancholy in me, call it desire. I was four or five when I was sitting on the doorsteps of my parents' house and lingering for a place that was somewhere different. Ask my mother if you don't believe me. This feeling has been accompanying me my whole life. But I don't suffer. I would rather say that I've learned to come to terms with my sadness. But there have been times where I wasn't doing well. Luckily, I have overcome these dark years. The memory of those years inspire my songs now.

KulturSPIEGEL: In an interview, you once talked about death as "dark paradise". Are you serious about that?

Lana Del Rey: Yes, death and paradise are are intertwined to me. After death, I expect something that is very serene and calm. You could already call that paradise. It is so loaded with meaning. I just love the word "paradise". I even tattooed it on my hand. "Heaven" is also a great word, or "exotic".

KulturSPIEGEL: But does one have to tattoo a word onto your hand because it sounds nice?

Lana Del Rey: Of course! I love meaningful words. I tattoed the names of my favourite authors, Whitman and Nabokov, on my arm. Every time I look a that I remember that life can be great.

KulturSPIEGEL: What's the difference between Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, which is your real name, and Lana Del Rey, your pseudonym?

Lana Del Rey: Nothing. We are one. I just thought that this name fits my music better. It's exotic and arcane. But when I spend time with my friends, I don't behave any different than now when I'm in a hotel suite and talking to you as Lana Del Rey.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you feel underestimated?

Lana Del Rey: Why should I? Just because many American journalists can't stand me? My album is a multi-million bestseller. I have even won awards. Only in my home country, the USA, that are the inspiration of all of my songs, one doesn't know how to treat me. That's also why I moved away from there and why I live in London now.

KulturSPIEGEL: What would you have done if you wouldn't have had any success as Lana Del Rey? Was there a backup plan?

Lana Del Rey: Music was my backup plan. A hobby. I worked as a social worker in New York for many years. I had been working at a homeless shelter and rehabilitation centres for alcoholics and drug addicts since I was 18. Music was the luxury after that for a long time. I'm great at getting people in need their social security numbers and -cards back. That's my true passion.

KulturSPIEGEL: Hard to believe.

Lana Del Rey: Just ask my parents and siblings. They will confirm all of that. When I came to New York, I immediately got to know a few people that were caring. I came to New York to get to know cool musicians and authors. I never found he poets that I had dreamt of that typed sensational novels into typewriters in breathless nights. The only passionate people that I met in New York, were social workers. And that's where I stayed, worked during the day and made music alone at night with my guitar.

KulturSPIEGEL: And how did you get to your record deal?

Lana Del Rey: I took part in an amateur-songwriter-contest. I didn't win. But one of the judges had a little label and offered me a record deal and a producer. I took the pseudonym of Lizzy Grant and recorded an album at night for seven months that was shelved for two years in the hope that a bigger company would acquire the record. But that didn't happen. The songs were dark, not suited for a wide audience. Besides, the back-and-forth of the music managers was tedious: people that first tell you you're brilliant think you're missing something one week later. I then came to terms with not making any music. Except just for myself. I produced video clips with friends which I put on the internet myself. Just like "Video Games" with which I got myself a record deal after all.

KulturSPIEGEL: Is it true that you grew up without a TV?

Lana Del Rey: Even though there was a TV in the living room of my parents' house, it wasn't connected to the cable network, it was just a display for video films. There were normally connected TVs in my father's and mother's rooms on which I was allowed to watch cartoons as a child. But only rarely. My parents thought that TV was too overtaxing for me, that it impressed me too much. They were probably right. When I saw something interesting on TV as a child, I would parrot them for days after that which scared my parents so much that they took the family TV from the network when I was 7. I wasn't allowed to watch TV normally until I was 14. Back then, I used to sit in front of MTV 24/7 and inhale everything I saw on there.

KulturSPIEGEL: The video to your song "Video Games" has been clicked on nearly 50 million times on YouTube. Where would you be without the internet?

Lana Del Rey: I have no idea, I've asked myself that. The internet is something abstract that I probably haven't understood until now. Who are all of the people that are seeing my videos? I know neither them nor their faces which makes my success seem surreal.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you read the comments on YouTube?

Lana Del Rey: Sometimes. You have to be careful otherwise you'll go crazy. Sometimes I'll react to something. I'll write a comment, ordinarily, under my real name. That will set off excitement on the internet. I just have to write 'Shut up' somewhere and Millions of people think it's great. I find that creepy.

KulturSPIEGEL: You're badmouthed even worse on the internet. Are you hardened now?

Lana Del Rey: No, and I'l' never be that ironclad. Of course I know that one shouldn't take vulgarities like that personally. But sometimes it takes a while to become conscious of that fact.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you still feel the need to google your name?

Lana Del Rey: Earlier, before I became famous, I did that a lot. I only do that rarely now. A year ago, nobody was writing anything about me so the googling was relaxed. Now, it scares me more. The internet is full of aggressive people. I don't even want to know how my new record "Paradise" is being teared to shreds these days on the internet. But in a few weeks, the curiosity will probably overcome me.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you use social networks?

Lana Del Rey: As to Twitter and Facebooks, I pulled myself back privately for a long time. I only use the networks as a marketing tool. When I'm bringing out a new record, I'll upload a few photos. Nothing more. I'm more interested in other aspects of the internet. For example, I'm planning to found a little foundation. For that kind of work, the internet is great. We want to encourage thinkers with up to $200,000 - people that care for the sustainability of this planet or are improving the usability of social networks.

KulturSPIEGEL: Where does your social commitment come from?

Lana Del Rey: My parents raised me knowing that one has to apply oneself in the community and share with others. I'm flying to New York tomorrow and will help with "meals on wheel" on Thanksgiving. I need that for my inner balance because in the past ten months it has often felt like that wasn't my life. I barely talk to the people that used to make up my life anymore.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you also distribute food to people in need on Christmas Eve?

Lana Del Rey: No, I'll be with my siblings and grandparents in Lake Placid then. I promised my mother a while ago that we would always see each other on Christmas. That is a meaningful time, in the days between Christmas and New Year's, everyone draws the balance where one stands in life and how it's supposed to go on.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you go to chuch then, too?

Lana Del Rey: Of course, I'm Catholic. I like to sing in church because I love religious songs, christmas carols. "Silent Night" is particularly great.

KulturSPIEGEL: Did you believe in Santa Claus as a child?

Lana Del Rey: Oh yes! I was confident in his existence. My mother used to write us little notes that were supposedly written by him. Like "Thank you for the cookies. I hope you like my presents. Greetings, S."

KulturSPIEGEL: Did you feel betrayed when you found out the truth?

Lana Del Rey: I was twelve years old and shocked and asked my father to tell me the truth: "Dad, does Santa Claus exist?" He awkardly shook his head and I was bewildered - "What?" I wanted to know what the fuss and fairy tales where all about. But now I know how important a good show is.

KulturSPIEGEL: Is it exhausting to be the protagonist of the Lan Del Rey-Show?

Lana Del Rey: It depends. In France I'm responsible for enormous crowds, in the USA I'm rarely recognised. I love sitting in coffee shops and reading the newspaper. That's still not a problem in New York. All right, sometimes someone will come up to me and say: "I'm sorry, you look like Lana Del Rey." And I'll respond: "Thank you, that's very nice of you." And I'll be happy.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

KulturSPIEGEL: Do you feel underestimated?

Lana Del Rey: Why should I? Just because many American journalists can't stand me? My album is a multi-million bestseller. I have even won awards. Only in my home country, the USA, that are the inspiration of all of my songs, one doesn't know how to treat me. That's also why I moved away from there and why I live in London now.

The fact that she feels so rejected by the USA that she has resorted to actually moving to a different country is really sad

20r46kx.jpg

I didn't think she was Catholic. i knew she believed in god but she said that she took what she wanted from religion so I didn't think she'd be a Catholic...

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

yes! thank you lolalitahey! ♥ learning german (beyond my basic level) is one of my pending missions!

i, for one, think that at times she sounds kind of obnoxious in this interview, and i usually enjoy her musings - however repetitive (and this is usually in direct correlation with most interviewers' questions) :pft:

i did find very interesting what she shared about her childhood, from her belief in santa until she was 12 to her very limited access to tv viewing. quite insightful. i think this explains a lot about how she became this very exotic (hothouse) flower, imaginative and obsessive, fantasy-driven, creative and full of impulse yet (perhaps unconsciously) taught to be wary of it, thus rebelling and eventually living the extremes we know and suspect.

Thanks for translating, lola. This was a bit of an uncomfortable interview. She seems so defensive sometimes. Which, i guess, is understandable, but i sort of feel that fuels the criticism more.

I’m glad a journalist finally asked her where she’d be without the internet, i think it's a good, if predictable, question. And i’m glad to hear her say that she doesn’t understand the internet. I mean, who does?

I love that she said this:

"I'll write a comment, ordinarily, under my real name. That will set off excitement on the internet. I just have to write 'Shut up' somewhere and Millions of people think it's great. I find that creepy."

It is weird and kind of unsettling how so many people jump on the tinniest little things that she does. It must be a fucking nightmare to be watched, scrutinized, and even admired like that on that level. I still don't fully understand how people could desire fame. I mean, i do, but at the same time i don't at all. It's like an abyss.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Her fear of the US is annoying as a fan. It just all seems so...dramatic? I mean surely she sees her chart successes here, all of the albums sales, top ten debuts, etc. I don't want to belittle the hurt that she must have felt when she got all of the backlash and bad press out here earlier this year, but it was a year ago and opinions have changed. She won't even try anymore and is sure to mention it in every interview and it's clearly just her decision. If she had her way, Paradise probably wouldn't have been released in the US, but of course Interscope wasn't having that.

I just think that her punishing the fans (no tour dates, really?!) because of the bad press she had gotten in the past is selfish and kind of childish. :(

There's just something really off putting about this for me. :defeated:

tumblr_nbdq8rb2Ps1qz85zpo1_400.png

Thanks for translating, lola. This was a bit of an uncomfortable interview. She seems so defensive sometimes. Which, i guess, is understandable, but i sort of feel that fuels the criticism more.

I’m glad a journalist finally asked her where she’d be without the internet, i think it's a good, if predictable, question. And i’m glad to hear her say that she doesn’t understand the internet. I mean, who does?

I love that she said this:

"I'll write a comment, ordinarily, under my real name. That will set off excitement on the internet. I just have to write 'Shut up' somewhere and Millions of people think it's great. I find that creepy."

It is weird and kind of unsettling how so many people jump on the tinniest little things that she does. It must be a fucking nightmare to be watched, scrutinized, and even admired like that on that level. I still don't fully understand how people could desire fame. I mean, i do, but at the same time i don't at all. It's like an abyss.

i agree so much, monicker! i never in all my life wanted to be famous...to me, it's as sartre said: "hell is other people's gaze" (this is a translation from spanish - "el infierno es la mirada de los otros"). anonyimity is freedom! the thirst for the spotlight has to stem from a lack of recognition as a child, or maybe it's the influence of our fame-obsessed culture? it's probably more complex than that, but either way, people should think long and hard about what they're getting themselves into. as i've previously said about lana: she got what lizzy wished for, and it's a double edged sword, no doubt.

Some will call lies others will say she contradicts herself when the subject is the confusion around her past. Whatever you callled something tells me Lana does it consciously. To me she is far away from being innocent on this Lana Del Rey tumblr, youtube interscope turmoil. Lana had 2 many bands, 2 many names and tried 2 hard to get "there"to be this lost soul damaged floating around (now) London town. She said it herself ïf you think I didn't plan to turn around this way..." I also think she took advvantage of the US backslash to put herself like an european type of singer and her managers are milking that all the way. If this is a critic? Not really I kind of like her more for that. I don't think is a smart move all the little lies (easy to see that are lies) she tells all the time like the creation of the Lana name or whatever but I really respect her perseverance. I find the Lana fenomenon fascinating not just because I really love Lana's muisc and videos but because of the reaction she inspires. To me part of the US critics trashing her is because she represents part of a reality that they don't wanna see. Lana was once Lizzy, Lizzy was once in a couple bands. Lizzy was once a blond girl playing guitar in gigs that have less people than a saturday party a throw with 20 minutes notice. Than Lizzy decides to become Lana. But changing the name was not really good enough the style was missing. The girl next door disapears and Lana Del Rey is born. Full make up, big hair beauty queen style combined with pumped up big lips. Looking back the music, the style of lyrics didn't change much. Not even the arrengements. What changed was the girl that owned the voice. What the critics couldn't understand is that the judgement was not only about Lana but about themselves since clearly Lizzy wasn't good enough even if the music is the same.

glgcDdT.gif

Some will call lies others will say she contradicts herself when the subject is the confusion around her past. Whatever you callled something tells me Lana does it consciously. To me she is far away from being innocent on this Lana Del Rey tumblr, youtube interscope turmoil. Lana had 2 many bands, 2 many names and tried 2 hard to get "there"to be this lost soul damaged floating around (now) London town. She said it herself ïf you think I didn't plan to turn around this way..." I also think she took advvantage of the US backslash to put herself like an european type of singer and her managers are milking that all the way. If this is a critic? Not really I kind of like her more for that. I don't think is a smart move all the little lies (easy to see that are lies) she tells all the time like the creation of the Lana name or whatever but I really respect her perseverance. I find the Lana fenomenon fascinating not just because I really love Lana's muisc and videos but because of the reaction she inspires. To me part of the US critics trashing her is because she represents part of a reality that they don't wanna see. Lana was once Lizzy, Lizzy was once in a couple bands. Lizzy was once a blond girl playing guitar in gigs that have less people than a saturday party a throw with 20 minutes notice. Than Lizzy decides to become Lana. But changing the name was not really good enough the style was missing. The girl next door disapears and Lana Del Rey is born. Full make up, big hair beauty queen style combined with pumped up big lips. Looking back the music, the style of lyrics didn't change much. Not even the arrengements. What changed was the girl that owned the voice. What the critics couldn't understand is that the judgement was not only about Lana but about themselves since clearly Lizzy wasn't good enough even if the music is the same.

Lana started spending lots and lots of time recording in London back in like 2008 and she only became famous after Video Games was played in England.