And he don’t got a lot, lackluster

He’ll try tonight
To not get high
He’ll try tonight
To not get high
But he will, he will
He will, yes, he will.

tumblr_mhzjal5z1N1rab19lo1_1280.png

This song is about battling addiction. As we all know, Lana was sent away from home because of her drinking problem. We can assume she went through some kind of rehibilitation, and this song is about those experiences.

Can’t put my finger on it
But I know I want it

We all know that lingering feeling that there is something we crave for, even when we understand it's not good for us. The first line also suggests that what she wants is literally out of reach, she was most likely confined to a place where she could not get alcohol.

I’m willing to try another way
That is if I get by another day

She is trying to go on, but it's hard. She is willing to try, but she doesn't really think she can cope with life without drinking. She suffered a lot from withdrawal.

Back and forth, I don’t get anywhere
And I’ve been searching everywhere

The first line expresses her frustration over not making quick enough progress with her recovery, no matter how long she stays away she still wishes for a drink. She is searching for a solution, an answer, to make her feel better.

And I’ll try tonight
Just try tonight

She will try to get through the night and survive life without what she wants and needs: alcohol. She is really trying, trying to do the right thing, stay on the right path. And that is what this song is about.

Happy as the moon shine
Sifting in the night time
Clichés find a home inside of him
When he enters all of the lights go dim

Here, Lana starts talking about a guy she met in the place she was sent away to, the guy is a cliche, meaning he is a typical user, he most likely did all the things addicts do to get money to feed their addiction, like get into debt, try to sell all their stuff, and all that. When he enters all the lights go dim, when Lana sees the guy, he becomes the center of her attention, everything around him becomes "dim", he is the point, the emphasis is on him.

He’s so sure he got a tragic lifestyle
And I’m so sure I can make that man smile

Now I’ll try tonight
Just try tonight

Lana feels drawn to the guy, and she tries to befriend him, cheer him up a little. She tries to put him out of his misery, but she also looks for companionship, for someone to be there with her in these hard times.

A dark room in the nighttime
Is how he spends all his time
If he could go on without your help
Then he would do it all by himself

The rest of the room describes this guy's inability to get over his addiction. He is often secluded and struggling to not use, but in the end he doesn't make it. He would leave the place they are at behind if he could, but he can't.

But I don’t think he got strength to muster
And he don’t got a lot, lackluster

Lana doesn't think the guy will have the willpower to stay away from drugs, he expects him to start using again at some point.

He’ll try tonight
To not get high
He’ll try tonight
To not get high
But he will, he will
He will, yes, he will.

And there it is. The guy loses the battle against addiction and starts to get high again. It's a bittersweet ending, but it inspired Lana to keep going and stay clean herself, the example of other people almost dying from drug usage made her scared and it helped her to stop. We know this from interviews she mentioned this in, and it ties in with this heart breaking and yet captivating song.

A masterpiece honestly.

Songs like these off of Sirens really make me wonder about this specific time in her life, they seem so sad and lost. This is one of the more clear examples, more straight forward.

Mm9Nf5Z.gif

"I want to stay home, be left alone- Someone make up my mind so I don't have to decide"

https://www.last.fm/user/fakeeyelash13- my last fm <33