All you need is some peace while you are here
Just let go until you are home, dear.

I had a dream when I was young
I dreamt our lives were going to be fun
We were always waiting to live

Just let go of it all, dear

You have a choice to hear the noise
Or hear the sweet sound of your sweet voice.
I know I've heard it, I heard it in my sleep

Just let go, don't say no, dear

Wake up each night at the same time
Roll up the blind and look outside
And in the orange light, the fog is rising

This is life, this tonight, peace in the quiet
Happiness is the sky

tumblr_mhzjal5z1N1rab19lo1_1280.png

These lyrics are beautifully simple and the delivery kills me every time :oprah:

I really admire that even just with her voice, Lana managed to create such an atmospheric song.

I want cry everytime

No lie.

The whole song is so sad, I wish I could travel back in time to Lizzy's hard times and just hug her, even if she calls the cops, I just want to hold her

lmao :/

Such a powerful message

"This is life, this tonight, peace in the quiet
Happiness is the sky" 

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

I feel like this song is kinda Lizzy cheering up herself. Lizzy before she became Lana. Lizzy dreaming of being Lana and something went wrong at that time. Powerful message actually - to never stop believing in yourself. And even if you fail - if your dreams don't come true - peace in life is all you need to be happy :defeated:

nsaalk.jpg

When interpreting this song, we have to keep in mind that Lana wrote it when she was 20 years old, still 7 years away from finding success. This is one of the few songs in which Lana is talking to herself, it was written by Lana Del Rey, to Lana Del Rey.

You have a right to live your life
Like no one else does, like no one else might
If you have visions, come on and live them out

Obviously, Lana chose an unorthodox way of life, that raised many doubts in her, and the people around her. Pursuing a carreer as a singer is not an easy thing to do, and the chance for success is low. But here, Lana tells herself that it's okay to make this choice, she can live her life the way she wants to, even if it is unusual. She chose to prioritize realizing her dreams, she is willing to do what it takes to live out her visions, she will try and persevere.

Just let go until you are home, dear.

Many people say it is important to make peace with where you are, to find a way to be okay here and now. This song is an attempt to find that peace. Lana tells herself to try to let go of needing a certain outcome to be happy, to just be happy with what she already has. According to certain guides, if you let go of what you want it will just come to you on it's own. She makes that suggestion to herself here. Maybe if she is just happy with what she has, things will get better.

It is important to note that when Lana says "we", she refers to herself, the she now and the she from the past together, the young girl whose dreams were dashed upon an unfortunate series of events, divided like a millions stars in the night sky, that she wished on over and over again - sparkling and broken. When she was young and hopeful, she thought her life was going to be a certain way, she applied these new age concepts and phylosophies, focusing her mind away from the world thinking if she just thinks about her dreams enough, she can bring them to reality. So she was always waiting to live. Once I did this enough, once I got what I wanted, then.... I will be a beautiful poet, and life will be fun. She wrote down these lines (we were always waiting to live), disappointed that what she did in fact did not work.

Just let go of it all, dear

Lana is trying to deal with her disappointment over not making the progress she would like to with her life (another notable song dealing with this subject / headspace / feeling is Tired of Singing The Blues), and tries to just make it okay that she failed. She says to herself, well I didn't make it, maybe if I am here and I have a roof over my head, I have nature and my own peace, that will be enough for me, I am trying to let go of these old desires haunting me. (Maybe If I don't need them they will come on their own).

You have a choice to hear the noise
Or hear the sweet sound of your sweet voice.
I know I've heard it, I heard it in my sleep

You have a choice whether you focus on the noise (negative inner talk, you are disappointment, you did not accomplish what you set out to do). Or the "sweet voice", the positive. The new age teachings that Lana followed do emphasize this distinction. She has heard both before, and is trying to make the right choice.

Happiness is the sky

The last couple of songs are very telling. First of all, we know that Lana used to live a repetitive life. She would read the same books, listen to the same songs, look for consistency. So it makes sense that she always woke up at the same time as well. She looks outside, and sees the beautiful orange light of a sunrise, the fog is just rising, and takes pleasure in the pretty view. We know that Lana loves nature, loves going on walks and drives, or to the beach, finding happiness in the beauty of nature is also mentioned in her Ultraviolence song Black Beauty. Lana is an introvert, she finds harmony in the peace and quiet of being alone (God Knows I Tried also shows this), looks out the window and tries to cheer herself up because even if she doesn't have what she wants, she does have beauty surrounding her at least.

This song is about choosing happiness in the face of defeat and trying to make do with the good things in life that you do have, even if you don't have it all. It is a very vulnerable song about a painful subject with which everyone can identify and I think it's a wonderful song. Lana's lyrics are delicate and not too obvious, and I love the subtle insight it gives into her headspace at the time.

giphy.gif

(Sunrise with a fog rising looks like this, it really is a pretty view.)

:cryney2:

Crying to this song at 10am on a Monday. Idk if it's the pandemic or what, but this song and these lyrics, especially that line "we were always waiting to live", have really been hitting me hard lately. I guess I'm just going through a ~feeling stuck~ sort of time where I just feel like I'm alive but not like I'm really living? Living dead kind of thing I guess. Whew x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

this specific song from lana is my mantra, including change and ride. my life has been so messed up, and I'm feeling so lost in the world around me. these songs help me keep my focus and understand that I am the best I can be. I can try, and if it doesn't work, that's fine. I take what I have in my hands for now and try again.

On 12/4/2016 at 11:46 PM, Limelight said:

For my 2000th post I wanted to express how much this song and Sirens mean to me. Lana, thank you for recording these masterpieces :defeated:

This song gave me 2nd life... It means everything to me

Mmeow~

On 6/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, Creyk said:

Happiness is the sky

:crai:

Listening to this song at this time of year just smashes your heart to bits. It's so very special.

I am here to report on a rainy Sunday morning that this song and especially the lyric, “I had a dream when I was young, I dreamt our lives were going to be fun - we were always waiting to live” are among the saddest of her whole discography. If u get it, u get it, & if u don’t well…. U don’t, sorry x

On 1/25/2021 at 10:04 AM, Elle said:

:cryney2:

Crying to this song at 10am on a Monday. Idk if it's the pandemic or what, but this song and these lyrics, especially that line "we were always waiting to live", have really been hitting me hard lately. I guess I'm just going through a ~feeling stuck~ sort of time where I just feel like I'm alive but not like I'm really living? Living dead kind of thing I guess. Whew x

Lol okay wait not me making my most recent post and then literally immediately after sending the post seeing another post in this thread of me crying about the exact same set of lyrics from almost exactly two years ago now… not a lot has changed I see!! Love that for me!! Xx

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS