Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

i have been listening to it nonstop since i got up... it's so good??  i honestly was like vaguely hyped before but i'm so excited to hear the album if it sounds like this.

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

7 hours ago, KeybladeMeister said:

Secured my copy of the 7"

I'm so excited :defeated:

Yessss same! I was lucky enough to get the froot box set but I remember how crazy that was so I clicked the SECOND I got the email, before she tweeted about it:illumarina:

I've been sitting with the song all day before making a comment and honestly I am pleasantly surprised with this.  It feels very Froot meets L+F in a good way. While the production is a little underwhelming, I love the melodies and the lyricism.  It's so much better than the fake deep shit on L+F. 

This gives me a LOT of hope for the album.  To me, this doesn't seem like lead single worthy, but still overall a really great track and very Marina. I'm ready to stan again

I think the song is nice. I love the piano sound in the background and the chorus is beautiful. Some powerful lyrics in there too. It takes a few listens but it's good. The music video has some pretty visuals too.

It's better then the mess that was Orange Trees.

14 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Queen of low budget videos....Lana could never 

It's amazing how cheap this new Marina video is but yet beautiful. The visuals are stunning. Where as Lana uses some weird ass ugly filters with zero effort to make it good. Lana doesn't even bother to try. Marina over here doing the work.

13 hours ago, Elle said:

Images of the new merch for Man's World! 

The 7in pink vinyl is limited to 3000 copies, and the expected release date is March 12th. There is a "To Be Announced" side B!

Shop here

50617994472_15321ff993_b.jpg

50617150158_530886b426_o.png

Marina's merch has always been pretty good. Her Elektra Heart merch was stunning. I wish I had the money for the $30 Man's World t-shirt. The color of the shirt and pink font name is so pretty. :xcry:

15 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

The Beverly Hills hotel is owned by a owner who's anti gay. That's what Marina must be singing about.

Yeah, and I get why some people might not like those two lines too much but if you think about it, they're great; she's basically saying: you're homophobic, but you're hypocrite enough to get money from gay people (Beverly Hills) 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

1 hour ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

The Beverly Hills hotel is owned by a owner who's anti gay. That's what Marina must be singing about.

1 hour ago, sweetlikecinnam0n said:

Yeah, and I get why some people might not like those two lines too much but if you think about it, they're great; she's basically saying: you're homophobic, but you're hypocrite enough to get money from gay people (Beverly Hills) 

Yeah it's owned by the Sultan of Brunei who last year announced that he would execute LGBTQIA+ people in his country. I think he later backed down, but he's a rich fuckface and a lot of celebrities called for people to boycott the Beverly Hills Hotel as a result.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

10 hours ago, sexyslutboy said:

the way a line about gay murders is followed up by a sassy gay empowerment mood with the "campy hotel".

i can't tell if it's just cause i havent worn the song out enough, or if it really just is that clunky.

Now what about that line seems sassy or empowering to you :toofunny: imo she's just pointing out the irony, like someone said, of one of the campiest hotels in LA being owned by a man with a vicious lust for killing homosexuals. the way the girls and the gays flock to book a room at that establishment while on the other side of the world the owner is calling for the execution of people with a different sexual preference. nothing sassy about it, it's quite sad actually. 

2 hours ago, sweetlikecinnam0n said:

I'm surprised a lot of people dislike these lines. They're a perfect embodiment of what's wrong in this world and they fit well in the song.

In general, I'm confused as why many of you are criticizing Marina's "fake woke" lyrics, because she always had been some sort of SJW. Quality wise, I don't think her lyrics are worse right now. Before L+F, she was kinda self-centered, or at least she was telling a story. Her lyrics seemed more personal and a lot of people could relate to her vulnerability.

Now, she's looking at things from afar/another perspective (she's probably trying to be a voice for everyone, and maybe that's why she seems more pretentious). She's more in a criticizing way of thinking and instead of being passive, she's pinpointing what's wrong. I don't mind the too-on-the nose lyrics because sometimes, an allegory isn't needed. Like, "I love you til the end of the Earth" isn't the most metaphorical line, but it's something beautiful to say to the person you love, and it's its simplicity that makes it beautiful. :crossed:

And I love how some of you were missing the clunky/quirky lyricism of TFJ, but are cringing when she's finally serving it again. :oic2:

59 minutes ago, sweetie said:

Now what about that line seems sassy or empowering to you :toofunny: imo she's just pointing out the irony, like someone said, of one of the campiest hotels in LA being owned by a man with a vicious lust for killing homosexuals. the way the girls and the gays flock to book a room at that establishment while on the other side of the world the owner is calling for the execution of people with a different sexual preference. nothing sassy about it, it's quite sad actually. 

tbh nvm cause its growing on me after reading more about it

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

OUR MARINA (as we knew her) is BACK. :icant: The production finally has personality. At first the song felt weird but after a few listens I love it. The fact the video presents the Pleiades from Greek mythology made me appreciate it even more. At the beginning I was unconvinced by the lyrics because it felt as though she glued them together from different songs, but the vocal delivery makes it work. :agree2: Beauty.

21 hours ago, sweetlikecinnam0n said:

So which one is better, in your opinion?

I hope you don't say Superstar tho; she's a cute girl but it lowkey aged like milk, whereas STBS aged like wine, esp the demo

girl they are completely different kinds of songs, superstar is a track similar to primadonna or htbah, stbs is a ballad similar to end of the earth or fear & loathing, and they are better than it. similarly, i would say i don't like primadonna that much but i cannot imagine electra heart without it and sometimes i can bop to it with no shame.

original.gif

yeah her lyrics have always been clunky at times and too on-the-nose. To Be Human suffered because all she essentially said was “being human is hard”, which is so asinine. despite being oddly worded, Man’s World feels like she actually has something interesting to say, which is why it does a lot better with talking about world affairs than the former “song”

OAjeWdG.jpg?1