Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

21 minutes ago, partymonster said:

i have a question for older fans, afaik marina gained most of her following during electra heart? did people find her through the electra heart tumblr acc or just on youtube or something

yeah, she was MASSIVE on tumblr - her and lana were like the "alt tumblr girls" lol and the electra heart aesthetic was pretty much on every ~~~quirky girl/gay~~~~'s tumblr blog 

FzytWEW.png

On 11/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, partymonster said:

i have a question for older fans, afaik marina gained most of her following during electra heart? did people find her through the electra heart tumblr acc or just on youtube or something

Depends alot on the country. I guess for Murica, it was the EH tumblr era.

However in many european countries like Germany she actually got quite a lot of attention with Hollywood and The Family Jewels. A lot of the alternative-pop-stars from the early 2010  - including Lana - started out stronger in Europe than they did in the US.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

On 11/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, Roger said:

https://dbree.org/v/fbc190

BTW, there are a lot of "new" HQ files and unmixed versions of FROOT songs, are they legit?

Omg this version of Mowgli's Road tho ???

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I might have completely missed this but I haven't seen anyone mention that NME state that "A series of ‘Man’s World’ remixes from MUNA, Empress Of and more are due to arrive in the coming weeks." 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/listen-to-marinas-dreamy-new-single-mans-world-2819909

Random Thought

Unless I've been misssig some real confirmation about "When You Take Away Control" being an official "Forget" demo of sorts, I truly believe it is an original song on it's own. By the time "Froot" (song) came out, It was basically confirmed that the album was already done in full. If Forget was written as some sort of "last minute addition" (just like "How To Be a Heartbreaker"), it makes sense that they originally "had 14 songs, cut to 12" but ended up replacing one of them. It would make sense that Forget wasn't part of the "recording list" as most (if not ALL) of Froot was recorded between April - June 2014 and Forget came after "BRIT Awards Hungover" (The 2015 edition, when everyone came out wasted as fuck. If it was after 2014, it would've been one of the earliest songs too, contradicting WYTAC being one of the last songs on that list).

My only doubt about this is the fact Forget was part of the "FOTM" campaign and it would've been a short time to write, record, finish, create a music video and release it... in a month (Feb-March\15). But the whole package felt way more simplier than everything that came before (and after), so there's that.

After writing all of this I kinda remembered something about her website leaking lyrics because pages were already up and just "hidden" so I just don't know and got lazy to search about and also realized that absolutely NOTHING proved my point that When you Take Away Control wasn't "transfomed" into Forget but yeah, I still believe they're different songs. Thanks 4 coming to my TED Talk x.

When You Take Away Control might be one of my favorite titles now that I think about it.

8 hours ago, partymonster said:

i was a casual fan during the family jewels thanks to i am not a robot, oh no! and hollywood! and then she dropped the radioactive video and i was hooked on that for a month or two until christmas came around and i fell off... BUT THEN i noticed that people i was following on twitter were hyping the premiere of primadonna on bbc radio 1 and i tuned in and i've stanned ever since. by then she had already posted so much amazing content on tumblr that really caught me.

omg not me getting slightly nostalgic and emotional thinking about how amazing 2012 was :crai:

lABVyGE.png

9 hours ago, partymonster said:

I was a tumblr king back in 2012 and kept seeing gifs of the Primadonna music video when it came out. I looked it up and was instantly hooked, and from there I went and discovered the rest of her music.  The electra heart tumblr was SOOO good for the time, like she truly owned tumblr.  

Hey,

wanted to share an impression on L+F and I guess the place to do it is this thread.

I've hated deeply that album since the day it came out. Not only was for me the worst Marina project with difference, but one of my most hated albums ever, actually.

So it comes I've been thinking last days about Handmade Heaven and got to hear it. Ended up hearing the whole album again without expecting it.

I guess it's the fact that I didn't listened to it as a Marina's album, but as an isolated project, and this time it came as a very calm album with interesting production details. A gentle soundscape to think above. A very wide, minimalistic, kinda generative sonic scenery with no pretentions but maybe to develop itself. As Marina described it -if I remember well-, an album done as a healing process. I think Im understanding the place where she came from while (co) writing the album.

It's still a very controversial project in the context of her whole artistic output, as it is absolutely safe and predictable, computer-guided-sounding and that's the opposite to what Marina represented as an artist till L+F. But I'm glad I can listen to it and somehow understand what was going on regarding her personal and creative processes. L+F sounds as the safe ground  she needed as a platform to overcome big personal and artistic issues and to train herself to become strong enough to go back to her signature rupturist way of doing things. By the sounds of Man's World, it seems like it worked ;)

15 hours ago, cory said:

I was a tumblr king back in 2012 and kept seeing gifs of the Primadonna music video when it came out. I looked it up and was instantly hooked, and from there I went and discovered the rest of her music.  The electra heart tumblr was SOOO good for the time, like she truly owned tumblr.  

im mad i missed that tumblr era i just went straight to twitter in 2014 and stayed there

On 11/25/2020 at 8:38 PM, sjatib said:

Hey,

wanted to share an impression on L+F and I guess the place to do it is this thread.

I've hated deeply that album since the day it came out. Not only was for me the worst Marina project with difference, but one of my most hated albums ever, actually.

So it comes I've been thinking last days about Handmade Heaven and got to hear it. Ended up hearing the whole album again without expecting it.

I guess it's the fact that I didn't listened to it as a Marina's album, but as an isolated project, and this time it came as a very calm album with interesting production details. A gentle soundscape to think above. A very wide, minimalistic, kinda generative sonic scenery with no pretentions but maybe to develop itself. As Marina described it -if I remember well-, an album done as a healing process. I think Im understanding the place where she came from while (co) writing the album.

It's still a very controversial project in the context of her whole artistic output, as it is absolutely safe and predictable, computer-guided-sounding and that's the opposite to what Marina represented as an artist till L+F. But I'm glad I can listen to it and somehow understand what was going on regarding her personal and creative processes. L+F sounds as the safe ground  she needed as a platform to overcome big personal and artistic issues and to train herself to become strong enough to go back to her signature rupturist way of doing things. By the sounds of Man's World, it seems like it worked ;)

L+F is good, but most will agree with you here.

:crai:

most peoples issues with it stem from it not being "marina" enough, in whatever box they've shoved marina inside of in their heads.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:35 AM, partymonster said:

I don't really remember much but I found her through tumblr and youtube. She was very popular in tumblr during the Electra Heart days so she probably got a lot of her fans from there. 

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

On 11/25/2020 at 4:38 PM, sjatib said:

Hey,

Wow thanks for posting this here!

I also gave it a second chance, tried listening to it as an isolated project but failed miserably at doing it. I still can't stand that album but I do think it has a few gems in it. 

The problem I have with the album is that I can't help but compare it to her older albums. The way it makes me feel empty and doesn't inspire me as much as the other ones angers me to death. However, if I ever try my best at not comparing it with her older projects, maybe I could enjoy it. Who knows in the future I give it another visit and I end up liking it more.

I agree with the healing and calming process, the album gives me stress relieving vibes for sure. I hope L+F at least helped her find her safe ground as you mention and now she's ready to release more daring and quirky sounds like she used to.

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

As much as I usually rant about L+F, I cannot disagree with you asserting its stress relieving vibe. I was sleepy in a car once, it was almost midnight, and I listened to the whole album; it was so peaceful and calm, really magical, lullaby-like, and really that's one of the moments where this smooth instrumentalisation does work. But I would fall asleep (not in a bad context!) in the past listening to Ultraviolence or Honeymoon as well, so it is not that big of an accomplishment. However, it's definitely something where TFJ/EH/FROOT fails due to being too upbeat.

original.gif

Not Marina being fake woke again... complaining about black fridays leading to overproduction and so on. Lmao. Rich people don't care about black fridays anyway and this is the social class that is best known for overconsumption. If you wanna change the world, consider philanthropy.

original.gif