Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

On 12/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, pinupgirls said:

I have been a LONG stan of Marina and I must say, the newer tracks sound much more SJW and like a college student project. No hate there, obviously, but I miss the emotional and heavier stuff we saw frequently in TFJ, Electra Heart, and FROOT. While I obviously stand by the lyrics in Mans World, I can't sit here and act like its anything new that we haven't yet heard before. I know she was miserable writing most of her other records due to heavy commercial push and collaboration, but I can't lie when I say I think its some of her best work. I adore Marina, but I think sometimes she needs to be pushed a bit, otherwise we get more bland things like L+F which I played once and never could again. It just didn't "Stick" with me like Electra Heart or FROOT did and I REALLY tried. 

EDIT: Afterthought, I just am getting sick of heavy "the world sucks theres why" songs and that may be a personal thing. It just feels kinda cliche, and overdone. I agree with all of it and am very progressive, but I just kinda, idk. It just feels contrived sometimes or something. 

I understand your point of view, but "the world sucks and here's why" is 100% better than "hey, enjoy your life"; I guess that is why she got such hatred for L+F from her diehard fans -- such lyrics are completely cringeworthy and remind us of stupid psychologists who think that adding a positive post on social media would actually help somebody. If you stay cool, you'd probably enjoy your life, but she, as an artist who got recognition mostly thanks to the gay fanbase who's known to consist of social depressed outsiders, should rethink her message. And To be Human/Life is strange was "the world sucks but I don't know why", so it wasn't better either.

I agree that Marina needs to be pushed sometimes, and truthfully the times when she was depressed and perfectionist, although wasn't good for her mental health, it was the time when she delivered the best. I know there is a misconception that being unhappy means being a better artist, and Marina has really criticised this idea and I agree with her -- some of her songs PROVE that she is capable of producing awesome tunes being happy (like, Froot the song -- one of the most amazing songs of hers, if not the best, actually), although it is the whole album that feels rather weaker compared to her previous records (EH/TFJ). I really like FROOT the album, but one can notice that the lyrics were much simpler (Forget, Blue, I'm a Ruin, etc.) and devoid of any metaphors known from TFJ, which I don't mind personally, but it is just a thing that can be easily noticed in comparison. The thing that I'm bugged about is that there are too many filler songs like Weeds or You (L+F) that are neither lyrically nor sonically spectacular. I wish Marina the best and she just needs to learn to strike a balance in her artistry. For me, Man's World shows that she might've achieved that, but the time will tell.

original.gif

8 hours ago, vrtvie said:

I understand your point of view, but "the world sucks and here's why" is 100% better than "hey, enjoy your life"; I guess that is why she got such hatred for L+F from her diehard fans -- such lyrics are completely cringeworthy and remind us of stupid psychologists who think that adding a positive post on social media would actually help somebody. If you stay cool, you'd probably enjoy your life, but she, as an artist who got recognition mostly thanks to the gay fanbase who's known to consist of social depressed outsiders, should rethink her message. And To be Human/Life is strange was "the world sucks but I don't know why", so it wasn't better either.

I agree that Marina needs to be pushed sometimes, and truthfully the times when she was depressed and perfectionist, although wasn't good for her mental health, it was the time when she delivered the best. I know there is a misconception that being unhappy means being a better artist, and Marina has really critised this idea and I agree with her -- some of her songs PROVE that she is capable of producing awesome tunes being happy (like, Froot the song -- one of the most amazing songs of hers, if not the best, actually), although it is the whole album that feels rather weaker compared to her previous records (EH/TFJ). I really like FROOT the album, but one can notice that the lyrics were much simpler (Forget, Blue, I'm a Ruin, etc.) and devoid of any metaphors known from TFJ, which I don't mind personally, but it is just a thing that can be easily noticed in comparison. The thing that I'm bugged about is that there are too many filler songs like Weeds or You (L+F) that are neither lyrically nor sonically spectacular. I wish Marina the best and she just needs to learn to strike a balance in her artistry. For me, Man's World shows that she might've achieved that, but the time will tell.

I honestly COULDN''T agree more! I didn't want to push the idea that depressed artists create better music, but for some reason, it seems like some of that is happening to a degree here. Which I sorta understand, having so much raw emotion. As an artist myself, I do my best creative work when I'm honestly not feeling so hot. Its strange but its very true, for me personally. I couldn't agree more about FROOT - but I also agree that we can start to see this "basic sorta song" thing pop up in FROOT, starting with Forget. I like Forget, don't get me wrong, but I remember when it came out I thought really, Marina? It just seems like anyone could've wrote it. How do you go from songs like Shampain and E.V.O.L to much more bland songs like Forget? Its so weird. It just doesn't have that tell tale Marina mark on it. And I think to survive as an artist in this world, you have to set yourself apart and make people remember you, and she used to do that amazingly. But I just can't get behind the more bland songs! :(

7338e157b4b318699b988ced0289df17.gif

I thought y'all disliked Forget for its sound, since I find the lyrics one of her most complex (and one of the best on FROOT tbh) but it does sound like a cheesy live band track (I love it though)

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

3 minutes ago, Electric Body said:

Out of all songs to criticize you chose FORGET? It has pretty "OG Marina" lyrics and is definitly one of the least bland songs on Froot but ... go off I guess

maybe because it’s easy to for-ge-eh-et, for-ge-eh-eh-eh-et.

:oic2:

anyways

i don't wanna feel blue anymoaR bbllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

gimm e gimmee

gimme anything but blue, blue, blueee, royaaahl blueee

i just wanna kno WHO im lookin for bllueeeeeeeeee

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

On 12/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, pinupgirls said:

I have been a LONG stan of Marina and I must say, the newer tracks sound much more SJW and like a college student project. No hate there, obviously, but I miss the emotional and heavier stuff we saw frequently in TFJ, Electra Heart, and FROOT. While I obviously stand by the lyrics in Mans World, I can't sit here and act like its anything new that we haven't yet heard before. I know she was miserable writing most of her other records due to heavy commercial push and collaboration, but I can't lie when I say I think its some of her best work. I adore Marina, but I think sometimes she needs to be pushed a bit, otherwise we get more bland things like L+F which I played once and never could again. It just didn't "Stick" with me like Electra Heart or FROOT did and I REALLY tried. 

EDIT: Afterthought, I just am getting sick of heavy "the world sucks theres why" songs and that may be a personal thing. It just feels kinda cliche, and overdone. I agree with all of it and am very progressive, but I just kinda, idk. It just feels contrived sometimes or something. 

totally agree- I love the sound of mans world (though it’s not breaking any new ground for Marina sonically) but the lyrics don’t offer anything that many many artists haven’t already covered. I don’t think it’s happiness that’s getting in the way tho (who knows what it is) but I agree that she needs to be push/push herself more to explore new and interesting ideas and sounds.

aOaIzH2.gif

If I'd have to take a song off FROOT, it would be Blue, without any type of hesitation. All of the rest is from really good to excellent. I've been vibing to it lately. That title track... :bodyisready:

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

3 hours ago, May said:

Gold is the definition of a filler track

Weeds has good verses and some good lyrics but overall is the worst song on there apart from Gold

Weeds first verse is a discography highlight, only for marina to ruin it with that ugly chorus.... a hate crime

image.png

10 hours ago, moonchild13 said:

If I'd have to take a song off FROOT, it would be Blue, without any type of hesitation. All of the rest is from really good to excellent. I've been vibing to it lately. That title track... :bodyisready:

Exactly. Gold is a good track and weeds is cute, but I haven’t been able to stand blue since the day it came out.

18 hours ago, Loreen said:

I thought y'all disliked Forget for its sound, since I find the lyrics one of her most complex (and one of the best on FROOT tbh) but it does sound like a cheesy live band track (I love it though)

What I meant was that the lyrics are less complicated and more straightfoward, not that it's a bad thing. Besides, choruses from FROOT: yeah ahaa oohoo yeaah yeaaah ahha. blueee gimme gimme gimme! forget forgeeeet forgeeet. weeeeeeds like weeeeds.

original.gif

Yeah worst song from Froot would be Weeds.

to me, besides the downgrade in quality and lyrics, my biggest problem with Marina has been the lack of emotion in her voice lately. Ever since Froot I feel like her voice got colder and much more focused on technique (which I don't like so much), at least in the studio. She's great live.

But other than that she's someone I will always stan no matter what. If she announced a tour I'd be buying tickets in no time. She's just that charming in person.