Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

I'm going to repeat myself but I listen to her old albums again as I always do, and in an alternative world I still see Marina as a huge pop star who should have been Katy Perry after arriving through the indie back door. She should have been No. 1 all over the world. She should have been the idol of kids and young women like Teenage Dream was for many of us. The whole world should have screamed at each of her appearances :sluttybunny:. I always come back to it. Electra Heart would have deserved a big budget movie on ALL songs, like Lana got to make her ideas flourish on BTD. I can not digest that Valley of the dolls will never have a video, and Hypocrates and so many others. It's a flawless electro-pop classic, it has its place in the best albums of the 2010s. Froot was such a phenomenon too, this space with the fruits is so iconic. Shit I don't like how we don't give Marina enough budget to do what she wants when we give too much to some ...

6 minutes ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

I'm going to repeat myself but I listen to her old albums again as I always do, and in an alternative world I still see Marina as a huge pop star who should have been Katy Perry after arriving through the indie back door. She should have been No. 1 all over the world. She should have been the idol of kids and young women like Teenage Dream was for many of us. The whole world should have screamed at each of her appearances :sluttybunny:. I always come back to it. Electra Heart would have deserved a big budget movie on ALL songs, like Lana got to make her ideas flourish on BTD. I can not digest that Valley of the dolls will never have a video, and Hypocrates and so many others. It's a flawless electro-pop classic, it has its place in the best albums of the 2010s. Froot was such a phenomenon too, this space with the fruits is so iconic. Shit I don't like how we don't give Marina enough budget to do what she wants when we give too much to some ...

tbf, being indie/alternative she was never going to be as huge as "pop stars" honestly. i think she's as big as she's ever going to be, because i don't think she'll ever crack the "mainstream" to get to that level of success. she's done insanely good for herself though, and as far as indie/alternative acts go, she's as big as they get tbh - especially from the time she started out.

9 minutes ago, Life said:

tbf, étant indie / alternative, elle n'allait jamais être aussi énorme que les "pop stars" honnêtement. Je pense qu'elle est aussi grande qu'elle le sera jamais, parce que je ne pense pas qu'elle réussira jamais à percer le «grand public» pour atteindre ce niveau de succès. elle a fait incroyablement bien pour elle-même, et en ce qui concerne les artistes indépendants / alternatifs, elle est aussi grande que possible - surtout depuis le moment où elle a commencé.

Yes, I realize that she is an indie artist and probably always will be. It may be better that way, in the end she is closer to us. We will always love her music because she has the talent for it.

She did her best but I didn't like how EH was destroyed and rejected when there was much worse and much more disturbing for the youth at that time. It remains an eternal debate, the dice were played and it was otherwise.

Marina could have never been as famous as Katy Perry, but definitely some advancements could've been made to get her closer to the mainstream level of Florence + the Machine and Lana. I wonder if it's label fault.

original.gif

On 4/10/2021 at 7:33 AM, lagatabajolalluvia said:

did any of you order Man's World vinyl from the AUS store? Because mine hasn't been shipped yet :(

I ordered from the US store and the Aus store. So far it looks like only the records have shipped from the US, Warner Australia are pretty bad at updating their website 

j14CYJi.png

18 hours ago, vrtvie said:

Marina could have never been as famous as Katy Perry, but definitely some advancements could've been made to get her closer to the mainstream level of Florence + the Machine and Lana. I wonder if it's label fault.

Marina was never marketed outside of the UK the same way Lana and Florence were. 

Take Italy: both Lana and Florence had immensely successful singles here (Summertime Sadness and You've Got The Love) which basically landed them a name in Italy, and so did for many other countries

Marina never even entered the radio

And this was at a time in which yeah people had internet but not to same degree we do now, so it was way harder to find new artists, especially if you didn't have an online presence of some sort

Plus british female singers have it way harder to break it in the international market compared to male singers, IDK why that is but it's kind of a thing

EDIT: I mean radio wise. They almost always have one big single and disappear (Charli, Lili, Florence, Leona Lewis, Dido, Jess Glynne, Duffy, etc)

5 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

Marina was never marketed outside of the UK the same way Lana and Florence were. 

Well yes, but Lana, unlike Florence and Marina, is an American artist? Anyway yeah, I remember how Marina complained how she failed to enter the American market with The Family Jewels that was quite successful in Western Europe and she said it was indeed all her label's fault (also the fact TFJ in the US was released a few months later???), but I don't know if the same could have been said about Electra Heart and FROOT. Electra Heart never made Marina a popstar she dreamed of being, even despite its commercial sound, and was slashed by critics, unfortunately. What a mess.

original.gif

On 4/10/2021 at 3:05 PM, Enchanted Mansion said:

I feel like there could’ve been better music videos and/or better singles for EH if they weren’t so focused on making 13 (?) different parts and wasting the budget on songs that didn’t need videos like Radioactive, Electra Heart and Fear and Loathing. I don’t know if that was her or her teams fault, but I still love how the era turned out either way.

5 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

Plus british female singers have it way harder to break it in the international market compared to male singers, IDK why that is but it's kind of a thing

EDIT: I mean radio wise. They almost always have one big single and disappear (Charli, Lili, Florence, Leona Lewis, Dido, Jess Glynne, Duffy, etc)

I’ve noticed this too and always wondered why our poor girls aren’t getting the promo they deserve :poordat: Maybe something to do with the fact that they’re not even marketed well in their home country

Cant Pin Me Down might be my most played Marina song. though I would never think to put it anywhere near a list of her best songs. THERES SOMETHING... PERFECT about it. lyrics production melody and everything is just such anthem, and I I never grow tired of it

U REALLY WANT ME TO WRITE A FEMINIST ANTHEM? IM HAPPY COOKING DINNER IN THE KITCHEN FOR MY HUBAND!!!! 

all these contradictions pouring out of me, just another girl in the 21st century :grinds:

10 minutes ago, urgirl said:

Cant Pin Me Down might be my most played Marina song. though I would never think to put it anywhere near a list of her best songs. THERES SOMETHING... PERFECT about it. lyrics production melody and everything is just such anthem, and I I never grow tired of it

U REALLY WANT ME TO WRITE A FEMINIST ANTHEM? IM HAPPY COOKING DINNER IN THE KITCHEN FOR MY HUBAND!!!! 

all these contradictions pouring out of me, just another girl in the 21st century :grinds:

DO YOU THINK IM STUCK UP CAUSE IM ALWAYS PICKING FIGHTS YOU MIGHT THINK IM ONE THING BUT I AM ANOTHER

YOU CANT CALL MY BLUFF TIME TO BACK OFF MOTHER FUCKER :beyonce:

anyway... froots a great album 

i didnt connect to it as much when it first came out but a few years later it really hits a different way

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

14 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

Marina never even entered the radio

I mean, at least in the US there was definitely a period in 2012/13 where I heard htbah and primadonna on the radio constantly (although i didn’t know who tf she was at the time) 

I was definitely shocked that they didn’t send anything from froot to pop radio, especially seeing froot was her highest charting album on the billboard 200 - froot/im a ruin/blue could’ve done pretty well. 

3 hours ago, brandon said:

I mean, at least in the US there was definitely a period in 2012/13 where I heard htbah and primadonna on the radio constantly (although i didn’t know who tf she was at the time) 

I was definitely shocked that they didn’t send anything from froot to pop radio, especially seeing froot was her highest charting album on the billboard 200 - froot/im a ruin/blue could’ve done pretty well. 

Yeah sorry I should’ve been more specific, I meant compared to Florence

Yes Marina was marketed outside of the UK but compared to Florence it was very little 

And there’s a few reason for it: Lungs was way more on par with the musical trends of 2008/9/10 than TFJ, and Florence was easier to sell IMO 

I think Marina was sort of mismanaged but at same time I don't think they were like... failing at their job. They just aimed too high \ barked at the wrong tree. Especially with Electra Heart & Froot, where they basically just wanted to fuck up any goodwill from Europe while trying to make her a name in the US. The cancelled Lonely Heart Club leg, the total lack of effort to promote FROOT (where they really got her to do Good Morning America and... nothing on the other side of the atlantic? nn).... It was truly complicated.

wait this is so cool holy shit...i don't wanna get my hopes up but if the music matches this concept, this era might go down as one of my favorites :trisha:

imageproxy.jpg