Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

3 hours ago, HyperVelvet said:

On IG she replied to a fan worried about the song "Goodbye": lol don't be 

WE WON SHE'S HERE TO STAY :beyonce:

Imagine is a "don't be, I'll be fine enjoying my permanent retirement, you little bitches don't like my music anymore" hahaha jk

in a perfect world that song is a goodbye to MARINA and a welcome back to "& the diamonds".

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

PTP is everything I wanted from her. I really like it. The lyrics are a little bit too on the nose for me but it's quirky and crazy like TFJ meets FROOT. I rather have crazy sjw Marina than the boring and bland L+F Marina. 

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

venus fly traps gonna be the libra and taurus anthem i can just feel it

sun ruled by venus superiority

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

I cannot believe that the same people who complained that we were criticizing Love + Fear are now complaining about what she posts on social media...

so we CAN’T talk about her music but suddenly an IG post is something so important in a MUSICIAN that we have to talk about it? 

who freaking cares even.. cause I don’t bitch 

2 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

I cannot believe that the same people who complained that we were criticizing Love + Fear are now complaining about what she posts on social media...

so we CAN’T talk about her music but suddenly an IG post is something so important in a MUSICIAN that we have to talk about it? 

who freaking cares even.. cause I don’t bitch 

maybe be less passive and just tag me, hun.

:cuteface:

it wasn't about people criticizing L+F - of course everyone's allowed to and has, including me. my point with L+F is that was it her best album? no. but it wasn't *as bad* as people (including yourself) were making it out to be. and in terms of what she's posting on social media and the lyrics to this song, there's a balance if you don't want to come off in the wrong way. does she have the right intentions? yes. but has she gone too much into SJW where she's just purposely being controversial? yes, and it's not good.

4 minutes ago, Thunder Corpse said:

Marina's social media posts tend to be cringy. Nothign terrible about it, but it kind of reflects someof her kitschy sjw-lyrics. Case closed. Not really worth fighting over it for the sake of it.

On 11/21/2020 at 2:11 AM, Formation said:

It's interesting that she planned to release Man's World in April during Coachella given that the album wasn't even near being fully written, so I don't know what that says about her mindset in terms of a rollout. While I loved the Froot of the Month idea, I'm not sure if she would do it again per se, but I would love if she did do something unique again. (I thought the idea of releasing Love on its own before Fear was good). Regardless, I'm really hoping she continues this neon Greek aesthetic.

Also, on the topic of DieLife and other conversations on past pages, it's kind of interesting that people pan Love + Fear for being a last-minute "forced" concept when both Froot and Electra were not far from that (also The Family Jewels as a title is quite flimsy thematically). She has stated before that she kind of just made up Electra Heart because her label was pushing her to do collabs, and she constantly switches between "Electra is a vehicle for me to talk about..." to "Electra is a character". I know she and others have tried to spin a narrative for Electra, but like, it's really not present within the tracklist lmao Marina clearly always pulls something together kind of randomly based on what she's interested in at the time rather than having a really set and clear vision, which you can criticize, but I do think this is just a part of her artistry--not a new fault of hers as I find people's comments usually implying. Idk why I just wrote this whole essay but props to whoever read it all :hooker:

I know I'm bumping this really really OLD comment and sorry for that :rip:

I was reading the old messages when some old tracks leaked cause i was looking for the OG dl links and i thought it was really interesting what you said about the family jewels being flimsy cause it's actually the opposite, at least IMHO

in romance languages, "family jewels" are a figurative way to refer to male genitalia and this is why i think it's such a clever title... like, TFJ literally means balls :rip: but if you're an english listener you don't know that cause it's not as spread as in other languages 

and as for the literal meaning, there's a running theme of royalty in TFJ, as referenced by the background of the album, the EP crown jewels etc (i do think this royal aspect is played up for laughs basically, cause she was kinda poor) which ties in with her own direct family and how the album is basically about her relationship with her father, with success and with growing up

i don't think that TFJ, both as a concept, title or album, is flimsy. even if she did come up with the overall concept late in the game, it's still quite clever 

I heard the snippet she posted in february again trying to figure out which song it is from the track list, it could be flowers but hopefully she doesn't scrape it off 

I don't think I can handle another 'i'm not hungry anymore' moment :rollin: 

lights, camera, acción

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

in romance languages, "family jewels" are a figurative way to refer to male genitalia and this is why i think it's such a clever title... like, TFJ literally means balls :rip: but if you're an english listener you don't know that cause it's not as spread as in other languages 

and as for the literal meaning, there's a running theme of royalty in TFJ, as referenced by the background of the album, the EP crown jewels etc (i do think this royal aspect is played up for laughs basically, cause she was kinda poor) which ties in with her own direct family and how the album is basically about her relationship with her father, with success and with growing up

Crown Jewels is another metaphor for balls in certain languages ?

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

i don't think that TFJ, both as a concept, title or album, is flimsy. even if she did come up with the overall concept late in the game, it's still quite clever 

I mean I like the title's refrences to both royalty and family, given that TFJ's core themes are exactly about her analyzing fame and how she feels due to her dad and stuff. But my main point in saying that it's flimsy is that you have to do a bit of digging to realize that is the title's tie to the record and it's not that different from L+F. I've seen enough album reactions to notice that most people have no idea what it is called that and don't pick up on the central themes of the album (most think some of the tracks are about romance). 

I totally get some of the criticims of L+F, but I try to push back on the idea that it was a complete flip in Marina's career. L+F as a title and era-concept had as much thought as TFJ and others, so I don't agree with conceptions that it was just randomly put together with a bunch of filler tracks when the album creation was the same as her other works. It's fine to say you don't like the central idea of separating the tracks how she did, but that's just not how most people frame their opinions and that's what I was trying to point to. Hope I am making some sense :)

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

3 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

/deleted cause i don't wanna fight over something so silly and its not that deep lol

because you know you're just being dramatic. it's literally two different things.

:cuteface:

what she's released so far has been better than most of L+F tbh, but her lyrics on this song are just a little SJW overload. she has the right intentions, but i think her execution lyrically sometimes is just a miss.

41 minutes ago, Formation said:

I mean I like the title's refrences to both royalty and family, given that TFJ's core themes are exactly about her analyzing fame and how she feels due to her dad and stuff. But my main point in saying that it's flimsy is that you have to do a bit of digging to realize that is the title's tie to the record and it's not that different from L+F. I've seen enough album reactions to notice that most people have no idea what it is called that and don't pick up on the central themes of the album (most think some of the tracks are about romance). 

I totally get some of the criticims of L+F, but I try to push back on the idea that it was a complete flip in Marina's career. L+F as a title and era-concept had as much thought as TFJ and others, so I don't agree with conceptions that it was just randomly put together with a bunch of filler tracks when the album creation was the same as her other works. It's fine to say you don't like the central idea of separating the tracks how she did, but that's just not how most people frame their opinions and that's what I was trying to point to. Hope I am making some sense :)

I don’t think it’s true tho, nobody was mad at L+F because the concept didn’t hold up initially, the main point is that the songs are bad. Yeah, the concept doesn’t hold up, but most album don’t have concept and it’s fine

What we didn’t like was the album in itself, and the fact that it was tied together with such a silly explanation and concept just made matters worse

like, even if TFJ, FROOT and EH don’t have strong concepts they are thematically, sonically, lyrically and visually incredibly *SOLID* works

and the “concept” is just a nice package to wrap it all up.

l+f simply was a bad project with an even poorer “concept” to wrap it all up

even if it took her the same amount of time to come up with it, we are not judging intention, we are judging the outcome/result, and they are incredibly different 

3 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

wait whats her drama w/ her dad? he wanted her to be like her sister? default_oprahbk.gif

i never understood it ??

AFAIK her parents split up when she was young, she lived in Athens during high school with her dad and attended Athens International School or something 

41 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

wait whats her drama w/ her dad? he wanted her to be like her sister? default_oprahbk.gif

Mostly yes, Marina wanted to pursue being a singer and he probably deemed it irrational and stuff, also based on the lyrics of scab and plaster, hypocrates, buy the stars, daddy was a sailor etc. he was rather conservative and getting on Marina's nerves all the time. It's hard to grow up with toxic parents when you're a child/teenager but as soon as you move out it's much easier to accept their flaws.

original.gif

16 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Mostly yes, Marina wanted to pursue being a singer and he probably deemed it irrational and stuff, also based on the lyrics of scab and plaster, hypocrates, buy the stars, daddy was a sailor etc. he was rather conservative and getting on Marina's nerves all the time. It's hard to grow up with toxic parents when you're a child/teenager but as soon as you move out it's much easier to accept their flaws.

i don't think it was necessarily "toxic", but he was obviously very conservative and wanted her to do live/do a certain job - her sister is a doctor, so i'm guessing he just wanted her to be as "high achieving" too and saw the arts as something that's not. it's just that old school way of thinking, thus she obviously resisted/rebelled and it damaged their relationship.

15 minutes ago, Life said:

i don't think it was necessarily "toxic", but he was obviously very conservative and wanted her to do live/do a certain job - her sister is a doctor, so i'm guessing he just wanted her to be as "high achieving" too and saw the arts as something that's not. it's just that old school way of thinking, thus she obviously resisted/rebelled and it damaged their relationship.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but in my humble opinion it must've been quite toxic seeing how she basically referenced to him in most of her songs and named her debut album after him; "you tell me what to say and wear" is far beyond profession-related matter only, also "you're like my dad" line in Starring Role... It definitely was not a healthy relationship after all, but I'm happy they were able, I hope, figure things out later.

original.gif

3 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

I don't want to jump to conclusions but in my humble opinion it must've been quite toxic seeing how she basically referenced to him in most of her songs and named her debut album after him; "you tell me what to say and wear" is far beyond profession-related matter only, also "you're like my dad" line in Starring Role... It definitely was not a healthy relationship after all, but I'm happy they were able, I hope, figure things out later.

i guess it depends what you class as toxic, but i get you. i think it's just that very old-school way of parenting, where the father knows best and expected his children to be high achieving i.e. a doctor, lawyer, etc. and not a "singer". just super strict parenting, which i guess is toxic in that regard. she's posted photos with her mum and stuff before, but never her dad. i do wonder what their relationship is like now.