Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

3 hours ago, Diamantes WILD said:

she's got a real beautiful voice, but idk I never really got into her. idk what's missing about her for me 

the song's like a baby bohemian rhapsody mixed w captain planet? I get how the gays might like it, but idk 

PTP is really nowhere near her best or even good songs try listening to her first 3 albums to get an idea of her old style 

9 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

PTP is really nowhere near her best or even good songs try listening to her first 3 albums to get an idea of her old style 

her first and only three albums you mean ?

xMcVPI7.jpg

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

ah no don't get me wrong, formulaically I should be stanning her, and I've skimmed her stuff before bc friends would love her but it all sounds the same to me, the operatic/show intro vocals, n tempo n beat. Electra heart is the strongest imo from a casual listen. I think it's just that her music sounds like it's being sung like horror picture show documentary two cents. 

UV/Honeymoon

2 hours ago, mansfield ringer said:

The second verse > the first verse 

the GONE TO JAIL!!! Adlibs. Ugh!

Peepee poopoo :hype:

One of her best lyrics :gclap:Too bad people on here are lacking intelligence, they can’t comprehend this masterpiece 

On 4/17/2021 at 6:46 AM, pinupgirls said:

I think what I miss the most, and I’ve thought about this a lot, is that in her other albums, especially Electra Heart, she was making societal criticisms but she did it in a way that really made you think.

Thisssss!! It's not the "woke" or political topics itself which bother me in the majority of Love + Fear songs, PTP and Man's World - it's the way the message is conveyed through the surface-level statements. Like "there were riots in America", "Harvey Weinstein went to jail"... it sounds like a listing of trending topics without any exploration, commentary or lyricism. It's not cleverly worded nor has any value as poetry. That's why it all sonds fake as if Marina was tying too hard to give off that vibe of Woke Feminist Icon (C)

I actually really liked Purge the Poison as a song, it's catchy, sounds like TFJ and Froot's lovechild and the production is fresh. The video is great too, I love the ruby slippers and hope to see more Oz references in other visuals. Both of the released songs mention witches as a metaphor for "inconvenient" women, so it'd be great if Marina used some characters of the setting to further develop this comparison

Am I the only one who finds the Harvey line cringey? Especially with the adlibs. ?

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 hour ago, Party1949 said:

Thisssss!! It's not the "woke" or political topics itself which bother me in the majority of Love + Fear songs, PTP and Man's World - it's the way the message is conveyed through the surface-level statements. Like "there were riots in America", "Harvey Weinstein went to jail"... it sounds like a listing of trending topics without any exploration, commentary or lyricism. It's not cleverly worded nor has any value as poetry. That's why it all sonds fake as if Marina was tying too hard to give off that vibe of Woke Feminist Icon (C)

I actually really liked Purge the Poison as a song, it's catchy, sounds like TFJ and Froot's lovechild and the production is fresh. The video is great too, I love the ruby slippers and hope to see more Oz references in other visuals. Both of the released songs mention witches as a metaphor for "inconvenient" women, so it'd be great if Marina used some characters of the setting to further develop this comparison

EXACTLY. It sounds like she’s reading off the Reddit homepage or something. Electra Heart was fascinating because it was critiquing society and women’s roles and materialism but it didn’t exactly SAY that. Some songs of course had blunt lyrics but most of them were more hidden. 

I always think of this. Marina KNEW that if she died her hair blonde she’d get more attention because that’s how Hollywood is. And it WORKED. The same thing she was critiquing, she also sorta did?, and it was like mocking it whilst also being it. She even said herself that even though Primadonna was mocking someone like that, she also sorta was someone like that. It was fascinating. It made me see how someone could be drawn to it but also disgusted by it. Electra knew she was toxic, but she also understood how and why she got there. We knew society was treating her bad, and men, and that she calloused over. But we inferred it. We weren’t always just told it. 

Getting lost in the world of Electra Heart was what drew me to Marina. I dug deeper: I don’t need to do that on her new stuff. It’s very blunt and to the point. It almost feels *cries* lazy. You could tell Electra was really planned and thought out. But then again I love concept albums, I am only gay after all.

I think it’s even better that many critics attacked Electra Heart. The very machine Marina was fucking with and mocking half the time (the American music industry) also couldn’t see that it was literally making a joke of people who acted like that. It made it all the better for me! 

7338e157b4b318699b988ced0289df17.gif

6 hours ago, pinupgirls said:

EXACTLY. It sounds like she’s reading off the Reddit homepage or something. Electra Heart was fascinating because it was critiquing society and women’s roles and materialism but it didn’t exactly SAY that. Some songs of course had blunt lyrics but most of them were more hidden. 

I always think of this. Marina KNEW that if she died her hair blonde she’d get more attention because that’s how Hollywood is. And it WORKED. The same thing she was critiquing, she also sorta did?, and it was like mocking it whilst also being it. She even said herself that even though Primadonna was mocking someone like that, she also sorta was someone like that. It was fascinating. It made me see how someone could be drawn to it but also disgusted by it. Electra knew she was toxic, but she also understood how and why she got there. We knew society was treating her bad, and men, and that she calloused over. But we inferred it. We weren’t always just told it. 

Getting lost in the world of Electra Heart was what drew me to Marina. I dug deeper: I don’t need to do that on her new stuff. It’s very blunt and to the point. It almost feels *cries* lazy. You could tell Electra was really planned and thought out. But then again I love concept albums, I am only gay after all.

I think it’s even better that many critics attacked Electra Heart. The very machine Marina was fucking with and mocking half the time (the American music industry) also couldn’t see that it was literally making a joke of people who acted like that. It made it all the better for me! 

If neither did she achieve commercial success, nor gained praise from the critics, why should she actually bother in writing *hidden* topics with content to be interpreted over and over and the artistic world to be explored over and over again? In my opinion, her first two albums are masterpieces that still deserve recognition after all those years and she doesn't need to make another one to prove her skills. Ancient Dreams is not a concept album, it is not poetry, and she is just singing what she feels like singing, and I have no problem with that. Same with FROOT. FROOT was about nothing. It was her analyzing herself and nothing else (with only the last two being a social commentary and can't pin me down which I find rather dull) -- and people still love that album. Why should she bother again? She knew exactly what she was doing when thinking about leaving the music industry. Why should she now put unrealistic expectations on herself at such age? Not all singers are meant to be wonderful artists at the level of Bjork or Kate Bush, and even though we all know her artistic capability after such gems like TFJ and EH, now she isn't depressed, she isn't attention-driven, she doesn't have to prove herself her worth. As long as the songs are catchy, the lyrics are not entirely dumb ("enjoy your life boo!! yeah you break me down!!"), her vocals are well-delivered, the production isn't bland pop, and the intentions are right, I am all happy for her and willing to support her work. The thing that bugged me the most about Love + Fear was probably her saying how that record was "her best" -- and she gave us the worst one in her entire career, having written lyrics with straight white men and not even having any production credits on it. Should she have said, "hey, this is a fun pop record, nothing much, but I like it a lot!", all the reactions would be different.

What freaks me out is that at one time some of you say she is too vague singing "there were riots in America" in To Be Human where she expected the listener to guess what she was singing about (thank you for geography class, miss Diamandis), but then you dislike her Purge the Poison citing MeToo, Britney, Harvey and all that stuff as well, saying either 1) she's vague again? 2) she's too specific and leaves no room for interpretation? It makes no sense. Though I am not fond of the line "truth and all its glory, the ending of the story", she never exactly said that misogyny ceased to exist, it's just a line that has no meaning to me. For some weird reason nobody criticises Lana for singing about America, and now you expect Marina to include the whole world in her album about feminism in the Western society.

I suppose there are other songs on the record left to be released that will handle their lyrical function better, but to be honest, she isn't a "fake woke feminist" and saying she's giving this vibe now is just unfair and irrational. It is not her debut album, she isn't new in the music industry, she has already written so much in songs and social media that stating the obvious, saying why exactly patriarchy is bad etc. would be illogical. It is not Lana Del Rey and Lust for Life where she suddenly decided to go political once in a lifetime.

original.gif

3 hours ago, HyperVelvet said:

I'm shook Fantano included PTP in the best tracks, just like he did with Man's World 

Because only deluded fans stuck in 2015 think the two new songs are bad. Sure she could improve some lines but she writes everything by herself with no input and she is obviously intending it to be very on-the-nose. These are not the first set of songs she has written so of course it's her aim to make it very direct and therefore make you feel uncomfortable such as the Britney or Harvey Weinstein lines.

7 hours ago, Party1949 said:

Thisssss!! It's not the "woke" or political topics itself which bother me in the majority of Love + Fear songs, PTP and Man's World - it's the way the message is conveyed through the surface-level statements. Like "there were riots in America", "Harvey Weinstein went to jail"... it sounds like a listing of trending topics without any exploration, commentary or lyricism. It's not cleverly worded nor has any value as poetry. That's why it all sounds fake as if Marina was tying too hard to give off that vibe of Woke Feminist Icon (C)

yeah exactly, that's why i dislike her new music, everything she says is so blunt and "in your face". it's supposed to be poetry. and it's not only her political songs that lack nuance imo, the others aren't much better either (like enjoy your life or true for example, they are so cringey imo). it's like she's singing from her brain instead of her heart.

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

I feel sad for her because I see all the controversy here about her texts which are admittedly questionable, but she made so much effort to bring us back to what we liked about her

I'm not English so I don't feel the lyrics like you do, but why argue about it when other artists are doing much worse and appearing on television? There have always been stupid and offensive things, but Marina is very soft on this subject.

I love PTP it's a real bop, I love everything about this era. Marina is back and I hope the critics aren't going to overwhelm her, seize the moment guys, if it doesn't work out again she might give us more and more generic albums and we don't want that.

53 minutes ago, willfoshizzle said:

Love Electra but the family jewels is her best album :party:

:ma:

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif