Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

now i've only religiously listened to TFJ and EH but if TFJ is her BTD - a wonderful debut, bold and fresh, EH is her UV - bold, bitchy, social commentary in a unique way, froot is her HM - overlooked, not as commercially successful as the first two, but widely seen among fans as one of her best, L+F is her LFL - so many tracks, not her best in the opinions of many fans, kinda a mess.... then this will be her NFR :sass:

sUcVobB.png

1 hour ago, willfoshizzle said:

Love Electra but froot is her best album :party:

correct.

:fabcat:

23 minutes ago, Escapism said:

:ma:

um, no. TFJ has some good songs, but it’s messy AF. it’s not her worst, but yeah, FROOT and EH are much better.

4 minutes ago, Life said:

correct.

:fabcat:

um, no. TFJ has some good songs, but it’s messy AF. it’s not her worst, but yeah, FROOT and EH are much better.

TFJ is much less polished and has a lower budget production compared to EH and FROOT (admittedly, FROOT and EH have much better production value) but in what way is it messy?

just because it's not polished it doesn't mean its messy...

1. The lyrics are AMAZING, the metaphors, word play and imagery is 10/10
  2. The melodies are incredible, Numb and Obsessions are incredible ballads, Oh No! and Mowglis' Road stunning upbeat songs... like?
  3. The recurrent themes are very Marina in every way, it's witty, sarcastic, humorous and playful

It's an incredible debut album comparable to BTD, etc...

It's considered messy because it's "quirky". FROOT is The Family Jewels but without quirkiness, without complicated and sarcastic lyrics, without teenage angst and with simpler and cozier sounds. Go listen to The Dreaming by Kate Bush though, sweethearts. :candy:

original.gif

17 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

It's considered messy because it's "quirky". FROOT is The Family Jewels but without quirkiness, without complicated and sarcastic lyrics, without teenage angst and with simpler and cozier sounds. Go listen to The Dreaming by Kate Bush though, sweethearts. :candy:

that doesn’t mean messy... 

Plus I don’t get why people don’t like quirky Marina, what is there not to like about it? I love quirky Marina, it’s so fresh, new and sincere, it’s teen angst and rebellion at its finest

Just now, Charlottexseax said:

that doesn’t mean messy... 

Plus I don’t get why people don’t like quirky Marina, what is there not to like about it? I love quirky Marina, it’s so fresh, new and sincere, it’s teen angst and rebellion at its finest

We know it doesn't, but that's how people feel. I love TFJ of course, but there was a girl on YouTube who literally said she felt stressed listening to the album lol.

original.gif

11 hours ago, Party1949 said:

Thisssss!! It's not the "woke" or political topics itself which bother me in the majority of Love + Fear songs, PTP and Man's World - it's the way the message is conveyed through the surface-level statements. Like "there were riots in America", "Harvey Weinstein went to jail"... it sounds like a listing of trending topics without any exploration, commentary or lyricism. It's not cleverly worded nor has any value as poetry. That's why it all sonds fake as if Marina was tying too hard to give off that vibe of Woke Feminist Icon (C)

I actually really liked Purge the Poison as a song, it's catchy, sounds like TFJ and Froot's lovechild and the production is fresh. The video is great too, I love the ruby slippers and hope to see more Oz references in other visuals. Both of the released songs mention witches as a metaphor for "inconvenient" women, so it'd be great if Marina used some characters of the setting to further develop this comparison

The second verse of Purge The Poison does not aim at making a social criticism about how society treats mental illness, sexual abuse or feminism in depth, rather that it mentions different events that our society has gone through in the last 15 years to display how much we have changed/evolved (purging the poison) or how many things we have experienced in  a short span of time. This feeling of social commotion is achieved through the repetition of different events one after another. There is room or it wouldn't make sense to go deeper about it. Purge The Poison is a song that depicts our society in general, the lyrics HAVE to be superficial for it.

Idk what y'all are talking about but I love that she's back. Like ok the lyrics might be a bit too on the nose but it's fun and Man's World has also finally grown on me and so has the album cover, I haven't cared for her for years (I've only listened to L+F once and this is coming from someone who once considered himself a fan, these days just a casual listener) but now I'm actually looking forward to the album. Breaking up with the Clean Bandit member was the right decision :flutter:

I just got into Marina, so far I'm in love with Froot album, and Love+Fear. 

Why do so many fans hate when the artist decides to sing about current events? They're living in the same world as we are. I didn't think Marina would have this problem in her fandom!:awk:

2 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

not relating to the lyrics i guess

1 hour ago, SolveEtCoagula said:

The second verse of Purge The Poison does not aim at making a social criticism about how society treats mental illness, sexual abuse or feminism in depth, rather that it mentions different events that our society has gone through in the last 15 years to display how much we have changed/evolved (purging the poison) or how many things we have experienced in  a short span of time. This feeling of social commotion is achieved through the repetition of different events one after another. There is room or it wouldn't make sense to go deeper about it. Purge The Poison is a song that depicts our society in general, the lyrics HAVE to be superficial for it.

that's a cool way to put it, i never thought of that :teehee:

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

31 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

not relating to the lyrics i guess

well most people here have never had a bf but still relate/listen to songs about love so...

but even if that's the case, i don't see how EH is more relatable... like you can't relate to a fight with your dad/parents or with people not understanding your goals but you can relate to being a home wrecker? to being addicted to sleeping pills and xanax? like...

also i don't really think "i don't relate to it" is a valid reason not like something... we're on a lana forum and i doubt everybody relates to having an addiction at 16, skipping boarding school to drink and do drugs, riding a motorbike with a 50 yo man etc....... 

Very bold of a certain user to make abrasive assumptions and preach their opinion like its factual. At the end if the day, If you dont enjoy the music... dont listen? We already know how u feel lol. Its so easy to pretend something doesn't exist. The consistent need to try and sway people to your thinking is giving Q Anon... go outside for a walk!

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

well most people here have never had a bf but still relate/listen to songs about love so...

but even if that's the case, i don't see how EH is more relatable... like you can't relate to a fight with your dad/parents or with people not understanding your goals but you can relate to being a home wrecker? to being addicted to sleeping pills and xanax? like...

also i don't really think "i don't relate to it" is a valid reason not like something... we're on a lana forum and i doubt everybody relates to having an addiction at 16, skipping boarding school to drink and do drugs, riding a motorbike with a 50 yo man etc....... 

well i'm sure everyone has their own individual reasons to like or dislike anything, including, but not limited to, relating or not to it. and i do think it is indeed a valid reason since each individual perceives art their own way and that's ok! that's what makes art so intriguing, it's subersive, there isn't a right or wrong way to think about it :)

4 hours ago, SolveEtCoagula said:

Exactly! I don't understand why these people are so mad at the lyrics when there's an obvious reason she's writing it to be as clear and blunt as possible. To make a statement she needs to do it that way. But okay, let's bitch about it not being poetic enough, like if half the artists these days write any thoughtful songs at all. 

Also I wanna add that people comparing Electra Heart with her newest songs are making me very confused, because her last 2 albums and the new singles are all written by herself. Comparing an album where she had many co-writers with albums where she had little to zero help doesn't make sense at all.

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

okay yall! a friend of mine told me to listen to ptp since it just came out and I'm in love with her sound! then I moved onto man's world and some of her earlier stuff like primadonna, oh no!, and teen idle. i know i should probably just stream the albums but i'm way too busy to sit and listen to a full album. what are your recs for a new fan?

i like any sound/style and have no clue where to start

tumblr_inline_pbw9to77mj1rt2432_500.gifv

9 minutes ago, lanadelrat said:

okay yall! a friend of mine told me to listen to ptp since it just came out and I'm in love with her sound! then I moved onto man's world and some of her earlier stuff like primadonna, oh no!, and teen idle. i know i should probably just stream the albums but i'm way too busy to sit and listen to a full album. what are your recs for a new fan?

i like any sound/style and have no clue where to start

By album: 
TFJ: Shampain, Mowgli's Road, Obsessions, Hermit the Frog
EH: The State of Dreaming, Valley of the Dolls, Radioactive, Fear and Loathing
Froot: Froot, I'm A Ruin, Forget, Can't Pin Me Down, Solitaire, Immortal
L+F: Handmade Heaven, Karma, Emotional Machine

:wub:

1 hour ago, Bloody Valentine said:

Also I wanna add that people comparing Electra Heart with her newest songs are making me very confused, because her last 2 albums and the new singles are all written by herself. Comparing an album where she had many co-writers with albums where she had little to zero help doesn't make sense at all.

That's actually not as easy as it seems. The only tracks on Lamborghini + Ferrari Marina has written entirely on her own are Handmade Heaven and To Be Human (remember her saying "co-writing is killing pop music"? lol). On FROOT -- everything herself. On Electra -- Teen Idle, Buy the Stars, Fear and Loathing. On The Family Jewels -- Are You Satisfied?, I Am Not a Robot, Obsessions, Hollywood, The Outsider, Hermit the Frog, Numb, Seventeen, The Family Jewels. Plus all her earlier stuff.

original.gif

36 minutes ago, rabbit said:

By album: 
TFJ: Shampain, Mowgli's Road, Obsessions, Hermit the Frog
EH: The State of Dreaming, Valley of the Dolls, Radioactive, Fear and Loathing
Froot: Froot, I'm A Ruin, Forget, Can't Pin Me Down, Solitaire, Immortal
L+F: Handmade Heaven, Karma, Emotional Machine

:wub:

thank you legend we will be streaming <3333

tumblr_inline_pbw9to77mj1rt2432_500.gifv

7 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

TFJ is much less polished and has a lower budget production compared to EH and FROOT (admittedly, FROOT and EH have much better production value) but in what way is it messy?

just because it's not polished it doesn't mean its messy...

1. The lyrics are AMAZING, the metaphors, word play and imagery is 10/10
  2. The melodies are incredible, Numb and Obsessions are incredible ballads, Oh No! and Mowglis' Road stunning upbeat songs... like?
  3. The recurrent themes are very Marina in every way, it's witty, sarcastic, humorous and playful

It's an incredible debut album comparable to BTD, etc...

the whole concept I just find a bit messy - it’s just all over the place, compared to EH and FROOT where she had more of an idea of what age wanted. I guess that’s a lot of first albums, but TFJ just feels thrown together and it’s not my fav. sonically it just feels a bit jumbled as well.