Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

14 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

hate asking but is there like a place i could find marina unreleased/outtakes/pre-TFJ :awkney: or do i just have to scour the internet/this thread :awkney:

Give me the money 

https://dbree.org/v/b85e47

33 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

:oprah: <3

Hide contents

the way i will download huge zip files from dbree without any hesitation :ma: my power.... my confidence

GMTM is imho one of her best projects (even if we don’t know if it’s actually her or just fa made, but if it is it’s extremely well made tbh)

the songs are very harsh production wise but I personally love them

Anyway what's the tea with her and Lana? What do you think, are they still friends? If not, what might've happened? I dare not to believe that such a silly thing as a question for culture could've been the reason she unfollowed her after meeting her family, getting friendship bracelets, thanking in booklets etc. I do realise they mostly did it because they had a shared fanbase but please, no fan asked them to be best friends forever, we just asked them to collab. I can't imagine they just started hanging out with each other just because fans liked that (especially given that they tweeted to each other in 2011). It's even weirder now that Marina lives in Los Angeles.

original.gif

4 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Anyway what's the tea with her and Lana? What do you think, are they still friends? If not, what might've happened? I dare not to believe that such a silly thing as a question for culture could've been the reason she unfollowed her after meeting her family, getting friendship bracelets, thanking in booklets etc. I do realise they mostly did it because they had a shared fanbase but please, no fan asked them to be best friends forever, we just asked them to collab. I can't imagine they just started hanging out with each other just because fans liked that (especially given that they tweeted to each other in 2011). It's even weirder now that Marina lives in Los Angeles.

They just seem like 2 completely different people that didn't really click and i was under the impression that they stopped being friends way before qftc

20 minutes ago, partymonster said:

They just seem like 2 completely different people that didn't really click and i was under the impression that they stopped being friends way before qftc

So you'd seriously know someone for almost 10 years, invite them over several times, present them your family, buy friendship bracelets and wear them later on stage, go together for a session with your producer, post pictures together on socials from dining and hanging out without other people around, name them "my girl" even on a radio, and all that without even knowing in advance whether you click or not?

original.gif

18 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

do we actually know 100% that Marina stopped following Lana exactly after the QFTC?

If she did, there was definitely something more to it than just that

Lana still follows Marina and we know she uses IG so idk did she not see Marina stopped following her? 

its so confusing 

Just now, vrtvie said:

So you'd seriously know someone for almost 10 years, invite them over several times, present them your family, buy friendship bracelets and wear them later on stage, go together for a session with your producer, post pictures together on socials from dining and hanging out without other people around, and all that without even knowing in advance whether you click or not?

wait what??? They did ALL OF THIS? Somebody needs to update me on them 

11 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

So you'd seriously know someone for almost 10 years, invite them over several times, present them your family, buy friendship bracelets and wear them later on stage, go together for a session with your producer, post pictures together on socials from dining and hanging out without other people around, name them "my girl" even on a radio, and all that without even knowing in advance whether you click or not?

They tweeted at each other, that isn't 'knowing someone'. And all the times we saw them hanging out and tweeting @ each other later on seemed to happen all at once. People change and something could've happened between them that we don't know of :rip:

4 minutes ago, partymonster said:

They tweeted at each other, that isn't 'knowing someone'. And all the times we saw them hanging out and tweeting @ each other later on seemed to happen all at once. People change and something could've happened between them that we don't know of :rip:

But that was not a regular tweet, oh my. I know what you mean but tweets like "Thinking of you today. Happy New Years", "I never wanna say g'bye to the Princess of Oi", "Love u, gf.", "How's My Girl?" seem quite intimate (and this all only from 2011/2012). Anyway, I'm just asking for theories.

original.gif

1 hour ago, vrtvie said:

And they even dedicated albums to each other if I'm not wrong

2017:

Lana thanked in the booklet of her album Lust for Life (2017), writing "Thank you Marina - for your friendship and your art". Marina did the same two years later.

2019:

Marina thanked Lana in the booklet of LOVE + FEAR (2019), writing "Thank you Lana - for your inspiring views on life. I appreciate our friendship so much."

source: https://marinaandthediamonds.fandom.com/wiki/Lana_Del_Rey

I think they stopped being friends way before qftc. I feel like Marina kinda ditched Lana. Who knows maybe they have different opinions on things or got on an argument and stopped talking. 

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

55 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

So you'd seriously know someone for almost 10 years, invite them over several times, present them to your family, buy friendship bracelets and wear them later on stage, go together for a session with your producer, post pictures together on socials from dining and hanging out without other people around, name them "my girl" even on a radio, and all that without even knowing in advance whether you click or not?

It's not because someone was your friend once, that you need to stay bonded for the rest of your life. Friendships can end for over a 100 different reasons.

Marina and Lana seem to be quite different in their approach to life, maybe this got in the way?

My aunt ended a 25+ year friendship because their political opinions didn't match. I ended one with a friend after travel. When it was time to leave, I wasn't finding my charger. I knew that it was somewhere in the room, but she kept saying that I put it in my bag. We left and the hotel called to say that a charger was left in the room. I couldn't keep being friends with someone that doubted my words. 

Even though I would love to know why they're not close anymore, I really doubt that it for a huge thing. I still think that it's due to different personalities 

I've been re-watching Purge the Poison MV all day and can't but enjoy how much this feels like a return to form for Marina! :party: The lyrics/aesthetics are very tongue-in-cheek (a Wizard of Oz-inspired video in which Mother Nature tells the world she's going to create chaos until Earth learns to respect her), but at the same time they comment on important social/psychological issues. 

It's the exact blend of quirkiness and depth I would expect 5-10 years later from the writer of songs like I Am Not a Robot, Mowgli's Road, Hermit the Frog, Guilty, Bubblegum Bitch, Sex Yeah!, Froot, Savages, etc. You can see the evolution in her writing as time has passed and she's matured.

I also think the return to real instruments in the track makes such a difference! So many of my favourite Marina songs have amazing drum/guitar sections, and the drums in the final chorus of PtP are no exception!! We didn't get to hear this as much on L+F because the instrumentals were mostly produced digitally

That "friends appreciation post" on instagram made me cringe so hard once I found out Lana was nowhere to be seen.

I'm so curious what happen, but it's none of my business. I'll continue supporting both <3

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

I have the impression that Lana found friends with whom she spent more time and forgot Marina a bit, or the other way around, I don't know either.

It must be said that Lana's friends are quite special and must certainly keep her warm in their bubble

I think they’re just friends in the artistic sense, I have many other artists I know who I love to work with and admire tremendously but I couldn’t imagine actually being their full-time friend  :rip: I think it’s just like that

RVhKIwP.gif