Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

On 4/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

how do you guys organize Marina's music in your libraries? 

like do you file L+F & the new stuff under "& the Diamonds" or just "MARINA" ???

it just seems kind of stupid to have 2 separate artist names for the same artist... 

She will always be "and The Diamonds"  in my music library.

14 hours ago, new gods said:

this rollout has been a nightmare, at least with L + F everything came out over the span of about 2 months.

she literally refuses to engage with fans and she'll let it be known :toofunny: which isn't a good look when you're an artist that solely relies on having a fanbase to be successful

She keeps reposting fan art, is literally making a magazine out of fan contributions, and has often replied to Instagram comments. What do y’all want? Lmao 

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

17 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

She obviously had to manage the promotion for the album because the label didn't want to. For some weird reason, they didn't have faith in this record (probably after the commercial success of Electra Heart; still I don't get it). That's how Froot of the Month was born I suppose.

Anyway, LOL @ FROOT being Marina at the peak of her creativity. Electra Heart who. It's probably the only concept album she'll have ever done, unfortunately, and the only one having so many references and inspirations. Now she seems more inspired by social media posts rather than classic literature.

As for engagement, she probably felt really destroyed after the fandom loathed Love + Fear. Twitter stans literally diss her over and over, and she even used to post hand-written letters to us right before L+F came (they were really cute), sending wishes, writing how much the wait was gonna be worth it and so on... let alone the Marinabook thing and her Instagram posts with giant explanations what the L+F singles were about. I hope she'll get better after Ancient Dreams, which I'm sure the fandom will love, dunno about the critics though; depends on who is going to make a review.

Twitter is a joy killer. It's a dumpster fire. She gets really nice comments on her IG. Maybe she should close her Twitter and just stay on IG. She use to have a Tumblr. Maybe she can start doing Tumblr again to post her letters or journal entries.

15 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

FROOT was Marina at the peak of her creativity, she truly put all of herself in that record and you can feel it in every single aspect 

the visuals are amazing, FROOT’s cover is probably one my favorite covers of all time and every single shoot/single cover from that era feels inspired but at the same time original and creative 

the tracks are all incredibly cohesive sonically and thematically and she showcases the entirety of her voice range, from her deep, androgynous low range (Happy, Solitaire, Froot) to her light, bright high range (Blue, Immortal, Savages) 

plus the rollout was actually interesting and she managed to carefully craft every aspect of it

Take the vinyl for instance, she released a black vinyl to represent coal and a white vinyl to represent diamonds (she mentions coal and diamonds multiples times, both in TFJ and in FROOT)

the froot of the month things was also really interesting and engaging and showed she actually cared about what she did

i can’t speak for all of Ancient Dreams but from what we know from this rollout she shown us she doesn’t really care about engaging with her fans the same way she did

the music is also not up to par with froot

so no there’s no topping froot but at least it’s an improvement 

What the hell? :ohsnap2:

She didn’t release a black vinyl to represent coal or whatsoever. The black vinyl is standard for pretty much all releases lmao you have the standard (which is always black) and you can have some other color(s). The white vinyl representing her fans is also a reach bc it never came out of her mouth (iirc) but I’ll let you have that one. But what you said about the black vinyl..... lmao 

Anyway, even if the rollout isn’t as planned as FROOT/another projects that doesn’t mean she doesn’t care about the album or her fans. It’s just different projects and different parts of her life.

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

29 minutes ago, Yosemite said:

What the hell? :ohsnap2:

She didn’t release a black vinyl to represent coal or whatsoever. The black vinyl is standard for pretty much all releases lmao you have the standard (which is always black) and you can have some other color(s). The white vinyl representing her fans is also a reach bc it never came out of her mouth (iirc) but I’ll let you have that one. But what you said about the black vinyl..... lmao 

Anyway, even if the rollout isn’t as planned as FROOT/another projects that doesn’t mean she doesn’t care about the album or her fans. It’s just different projects and different parts of her life.

I didn't say the vinyl represented her fans, I said the vinyl represented DIAMONDS as in literal diamonds :rip::rip:

Like it's literally called "Diamond White": https://shop.marinaofficial.co.uk/uk/froot-diamond-white-vinyl-album-1.html

As for the black being the standard that's not true, in Europe the Diamond White edition was the standard as well, I bought it off Amazon (where it was labelled STANDARD) and it came white. I don't remember where I read that the black represented coal but I did not make that one up lol although I can't find proof to back it up

58 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

As for engagement, she probably felt really destroyed after the fandom loathed Love + Fear. Twitter stans literally diss her over and over, and she even used to post hand-written letters to us right before L+F came (they were really cute), sending wishes, writing how much the wait was gonna be worth it and so on... let alone the Marinabook thing and her Instagram posts with giant explanations what the L+F singles were about. I hope she'll get better after Ancient Dreams, which I'm sure the fandom will love, dunno about the critics though; depends on who is going to make a review.

Marina disappeared from social media in late 2016 when FROOT was over, long before people started making jokes about her being poor, they have nothing do with it

Marinabook was in 2017, a whole year before she started going off on us on Twitter

Plus the argument "Well it's the fans's fault if she doesn't interact with us anymore"  doesn't hold up cause she specifically chose to single out all the bad comments that are like 1 over 100 positive ones as if nobody gets hate ever on the internet like?? I don't buy it 

Conceptually and lyrically Electra heart is her Magnus opus-the whole fake stepford moll pop star is much more creative than froot. 

Production wise I prefer the Family Jewels as it is more unusual and unique in structure with a heavy Kate bush influence.

38 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

I didn't say the vinyl represented her fans, I said the vinyl represented DIAMONDS as in literal diamonds :rip::rip:

Like it's literally called "Diamond White": https://shop.marinaofficial.co.uk/uk/froot-diamond-white-vinyl-album-1.html

As for the black being the standard that's not true, in Europe the Diamond White edition was the standard as well, I bought it off Amazon (where it was labelled STANDARD) and it came white. I don't remember where I read that the black represented coal but I did not make that one up lol although I can't find proof to back it up

Marina disappeared from social media in late 2016 when FROOT was over, long before people started making jokes about her being poor, they have nothing do with it

Marinabook was in 2017, a whole year before she started going off on us on Twitter

Plus the argument "Well it's the fans's fault if she doesn't interact with us anymore"  doesn't hold up cause she specifically chose to single out all the bad comments that are like 1 over 100 positive ones as if nobody gets hate ever on the internet like?? I don't buy it 

Well I didn't explicitly mean that the fans are responsible for her interacting with them less, I just wanted to point out that saying she was engaged mostly during FROOT would be far-fetched. Remember the times when she ran her own blog in circa 2010, read letters from fans after giving us her London address, uploaded Homewrecker for free, gave us EVOL for free, fought for HTBAH video, etc etc. The fact she disappeared from socials in 2016 is understandable seeing her father had health problems and two of her family members died, yet she had to be on a year-long tour. It must've been really painful. And then she came back and started reading Twitter... I'm glad the Instagram atmosphere is much better, and that she replies to comments from time to time.

1 hour ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Twitter is a joy killer. It's a dumpster fire. She gets really nice comments on her IG. Maybe she should close her Twitter and just stay on IG. She use to have a Tumblr. Maybe she can start doing Tumblr again to post her letters or journal entries.

I don't think her label would let her not have a Twitter profile whatsoever, but remember that she gave it up once and her team started running it, Marina HQ or something... With Tumblr, who knows, maybe once she feels inspired enough. I just hope for some live videos when the album drops.

26 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Conceptually and lyrically Electra heart is her Magnus opus-the whole fake stepford moll pop star is much more creative than froot. 

Production wise I prefer the Family Jewels as it is more unusual and unique in structure with a heavy Kate bush influence.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Stupid of hers to have said she hadn't known who Kate Bush was during TFJ -- these similarities cannot be THAT accidental.

original.gif

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

Yeah, my bad on that. What I meant was, she only chose white and called it diamond white just bc, not to make that contrast between those lyrics. As for the black being the standard, it’s definitely true lmao you might have bought it being labeled as standard somewhere but that was just an error, for sure. I’m also from Europe and the standard was always black. Because it’s usually black, not because of those lyrics.

Anyway, your love for FROOT is almost at that level of “I wish Lana went back to BTD sound” type of fan. I also love FROOT and tbh between it and EH, they’re pretty much neck and neck, but just....let it go (?).

Ancient Dreams is shaping up to be a cool record, definitely an upgrade from L+F (even thought L+F wasn’t necessarily bad), it also seems to have a lowkey FROOT flare mixed w/ some TFJ-ish vibes. And her relationship w/ fans it’s pretty much the same has it always has been, except from the part she now hates Twitter fans (somewhat rightfully, I’d say lmao)

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I really don’t get the appeal of froot actually, I’ve never found it to be her strongest work? Other than the title track 

I'd say its strength is the sonical similarity to the typical indie rock-pop records. FROOT definitely sounds more similar to Florence + the Machine or St. Vincent than anything else (TFJ is rather original and the only similar album is The Dreaming by Bush). Nothing impressive in my opinion though. I personally only like the storytelling aspect from Happy to Gold -- shame that those tracks are not connected sonically (like without instrumental breaks between, it would feel splendid). Can't Pin Me Down, Better than That, Weeds, Solitaire -- I like them but they seem rather lost. And then there are two existential tracks at the end. Well.

original.gif

4 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I really don’t get the appeal of froot actually, I’ve never found it to be her strongest work? Other than the title track 

Besides Blue and Gold, I truly love that record. I don't know, I find it very cohesive sonically and lyrically, and it contains some of my all-time favourite MARINA songs. Maybe that's why it's my favourite.

---------

For someone who asked how do we organize our MARINA's library, I changed the artist name from her first three albums and all of her catalogue is under the name MARINA, and I even removed "and the Diamonds" from the artworks.

Spoiler

I use these:

The Family Jewels

marina-the-family-jewels.png

die Life

wpjvet8eqsg51.jpg

This is not mine, but I really liked how it looks like. Plus, it keeps the "and the Diamonds" part.

Electra Heart

marina-electra-heart-final-cover.jpg

FROOT

FROOT-REPACKAGE.png

LOVE + FEAR

marina-love-and-fear-moonchild-cover.jpg

LOVE + FEAR - The Unreleased Sessions

MARINA-M4-OUTTAKES.jpg

This one was made by kallumlavigne, actually.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

10 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Besides Blue and Gold, I truly love that record. I don't know, I find it very cohesive sonically and lyrically, and it contains some of my all-time favourite MARINA songs. Maybe that's why it's my favourite.

---------

For someone who asked how do we organize our MARINA's library, I changed the artist name from her first three albums and all of her catalogue is under the name MARINA, and I even removed "and the Diamonds" from the artworks.

Reveal hidden contents

I use these:

The Family Jewels

marina-the-family-jewels.png

die Life

wpjvet8eqsg51.jpg

This is not mine, but I really liked how it looks like. Plus, it keeps the "and the Diamonds" part.

Electra Heart

marina-electra-heart-final-cover.jpg

FROOT

FROOT-REPACKAGE.png

LOVE + FEAR

marina-love-and-fear-moonchild-cover.jpg

LOVE + FEAR - The Unreleased Sessions

MARINA-M4-OUTTAKES.jpg

This one was made by kallumlavigne, actually.

Seeing her first 3 albums (especially TFJ) without “and the diamonds” is a crime :krylie:

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

16 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

FROOT was my Lana’s Honeymoon to me. It’s an album where she has some strong moments but I wouldn’t consider it to be her best work. I found the majority of FROOT to be boring but not a bad album.

L+F on the other hand... :derpna2:

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

37 minutes ago, Roses of Saigon said:

FROOT was my Lana’s Honeymoon to me. It’s an album where she has some strong moments but I wouldn’t consider it to be her best work. I found the majority of FROOT to be boring but not a bad album.

L+F on the other hand... :derpna2:

As far as Honeymoon is for sure similar to FROOT, Honeymoon is amazing, its production is beautiful and feels like a long movie; and that's why I don't like FROOT that much -- it lacks those sonical transitions. Just imagine them between Happy / Froot / I'm a Ruin / Blue / Forget, oh God, I'd kill for that. Or even Froot the acoustic version similar to Honeymoon the song... And yet, here you have midtempo I'm a Ruin and then suddenly boom boom pop Blue and them suddenly rocky Forget. It's just so sudden that I do not enjoy listening to this album as a whole, and when I do it, I know the album is amazing. Here I don't; I tend to listen to FROOT tracks rather separately. That's why I sometimes wonder how the album would feel if polished by somebody else than Kosten.

original.gif

I think Froot is not her best album, but probably the most "timeless" one and it combines some her most defining qualities.

EH was more exciting with it's concept, yet the dark-electro-pop sound is something that did not age too well and now you really have to be in the mood for it. TFJ is her best album from an artistic point of view, but while it's great, it's also a very acquired taste. Froot is easy to listen to, yet it's also interesting and fun without being a bland sellout like L+F.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

5 minutes ago, Thunder Corpse said:

On another note:

Does anyone know if cassettes usually come with a digital download code like vinyls tend to do?

They tend to disclose that on the buying info 

But if you don’t you can still torrent it lol