Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

I don't know how to feel about Purge the Poison. The song sounds really good and is fun to listen to, but there's something empty about the lyrics. It almost feels like they don't fit the song.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

9 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I have no idea why people think this she’s very genuine and socially aware. Most artists don’t have the guts to be as political and open as Marina. 

First of all Marina has said some eco-fascist shit which is not ok?? Like calling humans a “virus” when the ones exploiting the planet are just western nations is kinda problematic... children in Africa and Asia are dying they’re not a virus but w/

Second, Savages *is* fake deep cause it shows a very basic understanding of human behaviour but at the same time tries to make an attempt at a social critique and it falls very flat

This however DOESN’T make it a bad song

You CAN criticize something you like...

Especially cause back in FROOT there was so little to criticize that people did not jump at the slightest glimpse of criticism 

Savages would've been a good song lyrically if she spent some time working on the lyrics tbh - she could've conveyed the idea so much better

28 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Fake deep? I never thought of Marina as fake deep. She always came across as sincere unlike other artists who really are fake deep.

Anyway I hope she drops a new video soon.

in the past? no. recently? completely over the top so.

Fake deep could also be ok as long as the production is catchy and interesting, Purge The Poison is none of that. Electra Heart will remain her only good album! L+F is close but you are not ready for that conversation. 

1 minute ago, Doja Cat said:

Fake deep could also be ok as long as the production is catchy and interesting, Purge The Poison is none of that. Electra Heart will remain her only good album! L+F is close but you are not ready for that conversation. 

you are one of the best members here but you are not going to exclude TFJ from the running of good marina albums.

Im really looking forward to see the reaction of this thread/fans in general when the album comes out. With L+F the problem was sonority and lyrics and now the problem is (in general) fake deepness like... what this woman can do to please the majority?

24 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

Im really looking forward to see the reaction of this thread/fans in general when the album comes out. With L+F the problem was sonority and lyrics and now the problem is (in general) fake deepness like... what this woman can do to please the majority?

this! the scrutiny on this forum is insane. 

41 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

I mean I'm looking forward to the new album even if the lyrics are bit eyeroll inducing because it actually sounds like her this time. All we wanted was something that felt authentically her and it does so far

BzhmW.png

32 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

Marina is tacky and that's the whole appeal of her art, but you're not ready for this conversation...

Anyway, stream Purge the Poison

Maybe TFJ was a bit tacky but EH and FROOT aren’t 

plus the Marina we know now is very far from being tacky she’s gone full LA white woman 

14 hours ago, drewby said:

Not this... you can be very genuine and socially aware AND still hold terrible viewpoints/deliver them poorly.

I didn’t say she was right or perfect about everything, just that she is WILLING to discuss this stuff and bring it up in her music.   So many artists are too afraid to even attempt anything remotely political or discuss social issues.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

46 minutes ago, partymonster said:

i dont see whats wrong with savages lyrics :awkney:

yeah i never understood the criticism. i think the style of writing goes well w the production and melodies

RVhKIwP.gif

EH did not age well but I only like it for the nostalgic factor. TFJ is timeless!

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY