Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Wow, i listened to title track and 3 song in a rów which IS Amazon. That 80s influences, electro sound and chorus, WHEW:defeated:

Song descriptions sounds really promising:worship:

1 minute ago, palemoonbaby said:

Wow, i listened to title track and 3 song in a rów which IS Amazon. That 80s influences, electro sound and chorus, WHEW:defeated:

Song descriptions sounds really promising:worship:

*amazing

i have no words!!!!! really!!!!! this might be one of her best songs EVER!!! and she looks amazing in the video and her vocals are always so beautiful and strong. i was not expecting it to be THIS good!!!! 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

Sooo, Venus Fly Trap MV dropping either on the 2nd or the 4th of june.

Super excited- pretty sure that's what the blonde wig was for.

Why be a wallflower when you can be a venus fly trap? :beyonce:

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

1 minute ago, Yosemite said:

Sooo, Venus Fly Trap MV dropping either on the 2nd or the 4th of june.

Super excited- pretty sure that's what the blonde wig was for.

Why be a wallflower when you can be a venus fly trap? :beyonce:

I wonder if she revived Electra just for this one off 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

11 minutes ago, monsterdino said:

the title track is sooo gooood ahhhhhhh

btw does anyone have the eclipse review bc I think they deleted it on ig

Someone posted it on popjustice so here it is

The half-Welsh half-Greek singer-songwriter MARINA is back with a brand new record 'Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land'.

Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land
The album starts with the title track which is an infectious synth and drum driven banger. It packs a huge punch, it is theatrical and humorous as well. The live sounding, hard hitting drums and the retro 8-bit type synths make it seem as if it belongs to a video game with a badass female superhero or a witchy musical.

'Venus Fly Trap' instantly sounds like a The Family Jewels outtake with the jumping piano chords as the intro, it is also the shortest song of the album at 2 minutes 38 seconds but this does not take anything away from its quality as a certified bop. "Why be a wallflower when you can be a venus fly trap?" she sings over distorted guitars, it is perhaps a more polished, better structured and less noisy 'Purge The Poison' style of fast-paced song. "I should be motherf*cking crazy, nothing in this world could change me!" It has a lot of attitude and she has something to say to those who question her financial status as she hits back with a confident and assured statement of her monetary status. She is a millionairess after all!

Moving on, her beautiful signature falsettos shine on the chorus of 'Highly Emotional People' and the last minute of the song is packed with hard hitting kick drums changing the pace a little bit on an otherwise classic Marina piano ballad. It is reminiscent of her previous ballads and feels like an emotional continuation of 'Soft To Be Strong'.

Further down the tracklist, 'New America' sounds like a sister song to the title track - staccato strings (if I'm not mistaken) and a retro 80s vibe make it sound straight out of a Broadway musical. There is a verse of her criticising America's stealing of land and that they have blood on their hands. She is pretty much skulldragging America, calling out their lies and issues including gun usage and racism.

'Pandora's Box' has some gorgeous strings, it is a cinematic and heartbreaking break-up ballad with a jarring chorus.

'I Love You But I Love Me More' is quite similar to 'Man's World' with a prominent electric guitar lead, it would fit nicely on FROOT.

The final two songs are ballads; 'Flowers' is a bit more traditional while 'Goodbye' is a different approach. The latter is about saying goodbye to her former self and welcoming a new Marina into her life. It is a dynamic song, the verses changing style every so often, with a familiar bittersweet melody.

Although I would have loved to see just one more track on the tracklist, there is a chance that she is planning to release more songs during this album cycle. 'Pink Convertible' is finished and ready for release, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up about 'Happy Loner'. Meanwhile, the production on the album is rich without being overbearing. It dips into the alternative rock-pop sound but ever so slightly with a theatrical twist. It's the opposite of the minimalist style she approached with Love + Fear. It's often on the nose - self aware mixed with a bit of Broadway. She took the best parts of her previous albums, especially FROOT and The Family Jewels while combining them with a fresh mindset. The raw, live drums of FROOT (thankfully no trap style percussion from what I've heard), the piano of The Family Jewels and improving the commentary she embarked on Love + Fear. The entire album feels like a musical or that it's written for a comic book story and Marina is the main character. There is so much personality and passion, things that most fans felt like were missing for a while. She completely owned the 80s colourful and synth style with a modern take. Although she lost me a little bit during the final two songs, they are only slightly less impressive but still consistent with the overall quality. Those who don't enjoy her on-the-nose political or social commentary, this record has a lot of that but I would say compared to her previous album, she has at least got her humour and edge back. Not to mention the great vocals and delicious production choices all wrapped up in the 80s Wonder Woman fantasy offering a 10 track concise gorgeous album.

自由になる自由がある

This song is so good omg it's full on classic Marina. Purge the Poison was good imo but still had something about it that made it kinda cringey n made it not up to par with her first 3 albums, but this title track fully is up there with her first 3 albums. It's so casually great.

qfrWuBl.png

45 minutes ago, new gods said:

capitalism made us poor :et:

r0GXzON.jpg

Never trust her word, she always says one thing and years later nothing happens, some examples:

• I will never work with Dr. Luke
  • I will release "I'm Not Hungry Anymore"
  • I'm working on an unreleased tracks compilation
  • Next album will feature female musicians only.

At least gurl has a powerful work ethic and releases music very often and feed us well, compared to others...  SadNaiveGoldfish-max-1mb.gif

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

50 minutes ago, new gods said:

capitalism made us poor :et:

r0GXzON.jpg

remember when during L+F tour she had a paid M&G except you couldn't see her :rip:

she literally charged people to have an early entry to the merch shop

5 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

remember when during L+F tour she had a paid M&G except you couldn't see her :rip:

she literally charged people to have an early entry to the merch shop

Marina is the daughter of Capitalism lol

1 hour ago, EXODUS said:

I wonder if she revived Electra just for this one off 

Probably not :biblio: the wig doesn’t look very electra, and if she refused to do a bubblegum bitch video when atlantic asked, i doubt she wants to bring back electra at all

25 minutes ago, HEARTCORE said:

let me just say that ancient dreams slaps...this is what i was looking for...PTP is the only misstep of the era so far. she's really back laydeeez!

It’s giving me 2010 Marina realness let’s gooooo

Lana Del Rey Ultraviolence GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

38 minutes ago, finalsong said:

her best song in a long while

I'm watching the livestream now. 

i found it funny that she is doing paid M&G. i forgot what it was called but i remember the FROOT M&G system haha.

how was froot’s m&g system?