Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

16 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Im not expecting it to top Electra Heart or even Froot, but I just want at least half the album to be great. 

Sounds like it is? 

Again mi reina, that's subjective, you gotta listen to her. The bops' production is safe but unique and campy (which I love). The ballads are monotonous but enchanting... I still think this one has the best production.

Lyrically is deffo not better than TFJ or FROOT but it's for sure an improvement from L+F and better than EH.

Overall, it's very cohesive, campy, authentic, cringy, relatable and danceable. It's a really nice album and very possibly a grower for some <3

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

5 minutes ago, Venus Fly Trap said:

Again mi reina, that's subjective, you gotta listen to her. The bops' production is safe but unique and campy (which I love). The ballads are monotonous but enchanting... I still think this one has the best production.

Lyrically is deffo not better than TFJ or FROOT but it's for sure an improvement from L+F and better than EH.

Overall, it's very cohesive, campy, authentic, cringy, relatable and danceable. It's a really nice album and very possibly a grower for some <3

Thanks for describing it!, I'm excited and pretty sure it will give me "what I want" trying to say that without seeming like a selfish fan who wants her to sellout lol

I'm gonna brace for the cringes, but I hope they don't ruin any of the songs. As long as they're not as bad as the H***** W******** reference in PTP I can handle it :P

It’s funny so many people on Twitter are complaining the album is too political, too much social commentary, but arguably only 3 of the tracks fit that theme? (Man’s World, PTP, New America)

Being the casual fan I am, I think I’ll stick to the three singles and maybe play Venus every now and then. The instrumental for the song is great (love the bassline!) but I’m not fully vibing with the lyrics yet. I don’t think I’ll ever listen to New America again, the lyrics... just not for me. And it makes me think of this sketch when she repeats America so I think the song is ruined for me. :toofunny:

Spoiler

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

It was alright, for Marina's standards i guess. Nothing new or inventive from her at all though but the songs were fun and a little less local than Love and Fear.

For such a short album the songs should have been a lot more juicy but... i'll give it a few more listens

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Lowkey thought New America would be a skip based on the title but I'm OBSESSED. I've only given the ballads one listen per each but the bops are bops!

47 minutes ago, jvcx said:

Lowkey thought New America would be a skip based on the title but I'm OBSESSED. I've only given the ballads one listen per each but the bops are bops!

Yeah. Im not a super fan of the ballads on this album (HEP is best of them but idk if it has the replay value for me like Happy/Immortal/Fear and Loathing) but the 6 banger trancks - IN LOVE.

Ancient Dreams In a Modern Land, Man's World, Purge The Poison, VENUS FLY TRAP(!!!), New America and I Love You But I Love Me More - All of them are insane, insane melodies, super catchy bangers.

Mmeow~

1 hour ago, Clampigirl said:

Being the casual fan I am, I think I’ll stick to the three singles and maybe play Venus every now and then. The instrumental for the song is great (love the bassline!) but I’m not fully vibing with the lyrics yet. I don’t think I’ll ever listen to New America again, the lyrics... just not for me. And it makes me think of this sketch when she repeats America so I think the song is ruined for me. :toofunny:

Hide contents

Give it a chance! the song is so addictive. I thought the same at first listen but now - obsession. I like the lyrics.

Mmeow~

a review i guess after a few listens only

venus fly trap - so yeah she wanted her own new Bubblegum Bitch and she made that. i enjoy the i did it my way baby and sacrificed it all for a life to call mine lines. a nice tune but she really should've scrapped the millionairess line. neither is it relatable to her listeners nor is it pleasing to listen to. she is an artist after all, earning money on them + boasting about a personal worth is really nasty, let alone for a person like her. but maybe she knows exactly what she's doing and deciding to adapt the 'male' point of view, who knows. i know straight men love listening to songs how freaking awesome and rich they are (not) lmao. very intrigued about the video coming. the production saves the lyrics anyway. YES

highly emotional people - weirdly a simple song but i like the message. it lacks more verses but who cares, her voice is so powerful here. fighting toxic masculinity is all i ever wanted for our girl! a decent song i think. YES

new america - so much potential. wasted. i may forgive the funny (yet somewhat catchy) instrumentalisation sounding like a superhero cartoon (probably intended) but america america repetition is so ugly. this song is so vague that i don't really know what it's about. some verses are nice (enjoying the who gave you line) but it's still another to be human situation. why is she singing about food industry and then racism??? food / too / do rhymes? does she even proofread her lyrics now? it seems like she didn't really know what to do with this track. girl you can do better than that. expected sth on the level of purge the poison that had so much details in lyrics and now you gave us THIS? also it's practically the same beat over and over. she knows how to make a song about america, she made hollywood. this one's rather weak. disappointed heavily. NO

pandora's box - lyrics feel like a random lana song and the production feels like a love + fear track. a weak combination. NO

i love you but i love me more - a very good song suprisingly! nothing groundbreaking but at least it's a good breakup pop-rock song up to standard. i wish the bridge was more interesting though... anyway everything is decent about this track. YES

flowers - i had to follow the lyrics to feel the song fully but when i did, i literally shed a tear to it. absolutely beautiful! heartwarming! now this is the song where i don't even care if it's rhyming or not. you can feel the emotions. love the verse 2, pre-chorus, bridge... also the piano complements the song so well. YES :oprah:

goodbye - apart from the fact that i wish this had a longer outro this is an astonishingly beautiful track. almost as touching as fear & loathing. almost. but still, i suddenly started crying like a baby to it (probably because of flowers but whatever). YES :icant:

all in all:

really expected more political exploration. it could've been a great concept especially seeing the album has only 10 songs so she could've easily made 10 tracks about each different issue, e.g. british colonialism or balance of power in the gender culture. we have ancient dreams that is a nice opener to the theme + exploring the topic of beauty standards and portrayal of women through their looks, then man's world about minorities and feminity in culture & in the past, purge the poison about nature and modern feminity in politics & business, highly emotional people about men forced not to talk about their emotions. and the song "america america is bad". that's all.

i have a theory that she gave up on the idea of a political album (perhaps filled with collabs with other female singers) as soon as she broke up with jack and needed space for personal tracks, and now we got a mix of the two.

it's a good record, but unfortunately not better than froot, electra heart or the family jewels. she needs to release pink convertible because it seems like a nice song and definitely better than new america.

original.gif

16 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

venus fly trap - :fabcat:I don't like this kind of lyrics so she should change it and make the song perfect just for me.

highly emotional people - bla bla

new america - BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA I need Jail Bla bla bla I live in forest bla bla I like potatoes and I have no taste

pandora's box - blaaaa L+F hate blaaa why it sounds like L+F?

i love you but i love me more - bla

flowers - bla bla u cried

goodbye -  bla bla u cried

all in all:

bla bla bla not better :( blaaaaaaa maybe I will like it more in jail.

You need to listen to this album again but in jail.

Mmeow~

I love it when she get’s political, if the album was full of boring break up love songs it would be horrible. We need different topics in music as I find the trend for most songs to be love or break up songs to be extremely boring and stale, uninspired.  Perhaps some of her American fans are upset at her for spilling how much of a bully and dump America is underneath it all. 

so good for Marina for actually writing about something interesting, and those who don’t like it still have goodbye and flowers…so you won’t spasm into shock from those. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

29 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

really expected more political exploration. it could've been a great concept especially seeing the album has only 10 songs so she could've easily made 10 tracks about each different issue, e.g. british colonialism or balance of power in the gender culture. we have ancient dreams that is a nice opener to the theme + exploring the topic of beauty standards and portrayal of women through their looks, then man's world about minorities and feminity in culture & in the past, purge the poison about nature and modern feminity in politics & business, highly emotional people about men forced not to talk about their emotions. and the song "america america is bad". that's all.

i have a theory that she gave up on the idea of a political album (perhaps filled with collabs with other female singers) as soon as she broke up with jack and needed space for personal tracks, and now we got a mix of the two.

Now I want this :blanche4:

4 minutes ago, DeluluKing said:

You need to listen to this album again but in jail.

Are you serious? I've been praising this album all along before it l**ked and been in love with every single, especially Man's World that so many of you decided to ditch after a few days. :smokes2: Go find another person to spread your toxicity on just because I did not like New America as much as you did lol. 

original.gif