Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Tbh the only dud to me would be some New Americana's lyrics, but I love the production, the others songs are just better imo, still a good track tho! Such a step up from the average pop music from L+F 

8nl2OpX.png

It’s really interesting to see all the different opinions on here, I for one loved it - it’s definitely a step in the right direction after L+F for those who want her to return to “her sound”

I don’t think it’s her best album(at the moment?); but it’s definitely up there! The production is so fun and exciting, and although the lyrics can be a little cringey at times, i feel like it’s cringey in a good way? but overall, it’s a pretty well written album (especially the ballads, wow) 

I feel like she’s finding herself again after L+F (and Jack..:toofloppy:) and I’m super excited to see how the rest of this era pans out, and what direction she takes for future releases/the deluxe/etc

so i gave into the le*k.. here's my review (after only one full listen):

Spoiler

Ancient Dreams in Modern Land - I have already listened to her a numerous amount of times and she's one of my faves from the album. A timeless bop. This one really feels like old Marina. 10/10

Venus Fly Trap - This song should be SO much longer. Nonetheless, it is a SERVE. "I should be mother fucking crazyyy..." is one of my fave lyrics. 10/10

Man's World - We know her, we love her. I've kinda tired this track a bit, but I still think it's a good song. Not the strongest on the album, but I love some of the lyricism as well as the chorus/bridge. 9/10

Purge the Poison - Another one of my favorites that I've listened to too many times to count. The rock vibes, the melody, the chorus, the lyrics.. EVERYTHING about this song is amazing. Top tier. 10/10

Highly Emotional People - A cute lil ballad. Serving some vocals. I wish the chorus was a little more? Either way, it's not a bad song. I'll have to give this one a few more listens before I ultimately decide. 7.5/10

New America One of the tracks I was super excited for! First off, I love the intro instrumentals. That is a MOMENT. Anyways, don't hate me, but I love the cringey lyrics. It actually kinda works. I still think I'll need time with this one too. 9/10

Pandora's Box - More laidback than I thought it was going to be upon seeing the tracklist. Inch resting.. Not sure how I feel about her just yet. 7/10

ILYBILMM - Wow, the way I assume this was gonna be a ballad. I'm glad it's not. I definitely enjoyed this track. 8.5/10

Flowers - Definitely one of the better ballads on the album. It's instrumentally light which is fine. Very cute. 8/10

Goodbye - Okay miss vocals!! I like her. It's not a bop, but it's a great song. The vocalization is what really does it for me on this track. 9/10

Rating: 88/100 :party:

Final Thoughts: She really came back after L+F. I don't think L+F is a bad album it's just not Marina. But Ancient Dreams feels like Marina again and I'm so glad she's back. I've noticed how people always say her lyrics are cringey, but Marina embraces cringey, it's her gig. It doesn't bother me actually, I love it. So I guess I'm in the minority there. My biggest complaint is how short this album is. Also, like everyone else, I wish there were more bops. She served in all of the upbeat songs on this album. We will be streaming once it's officially released. 

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

I already wanna hear more songs for this album :toofunny: that's the issue with short albums but there's not single track I dislike at least

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

1 minute ago, Venus Fly Trap said:

I already wanna hear more songs for this album :toofunny: that's the issue with short albums but there's not single track I dislike at least

we really need marina to release pink convertible and happy loner in a deluxe version :toofunny:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

1 minute ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

we really need marina to release pink convertible and happy loner in a deluxe version :toofunny:

Then it'd be too much ballads but for sure :makeup:

1 minute ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

This! She also could easily rework INHA I think it would fit perfectly with this record 

8nl2OpX.png

12 minutes ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

so i gave into the le*k.. here's my review (after only one full listen):

Hide contents

Ancient Dreams in Modern Land - I have already listened to her a numerous amount of times and she's one of my faves from the album. A timeless bop. This one really feels like old Marina. 10/10

Venus Fly Trap - This song should be SO much longer. Nonetheless, it is a SERVE. "I should be mother fucking crazyyy..." is one of my fave lyrics. 10/10

Man's World - We know her, we love her. I've kinda tired this track a bit, but I still think it's a good song. Not the strongest on the album, but I love some of the lyricism as well as the chorus/bridge. 8/10

Purge the Poison - Another one of my favorites that I've listened to too many times to count. The rock vibes, the melody, the chorus, the lyrics.. EVERYTHING about this song is amazing. Top tier. 10/10

Highly Emotional People - A cute lil ballad. Serving some vocals. I wish the chorus was a little more? Either way, it's not a bad song. I'll have to give this one a few more listens before I ultimately decide. 7.5/10

New America One of the tracks I was super excited for! First off, I love the intro instrumentals. That is a MOMENT. Anyways, don't hate me, but I love the cringey lyrics. It actually kinda works. I still think I'll need time with this one too. 9/10

Pandora's Box - More laidback than I thought it was going to be upon seeing the tracklist. Inch resting.. Not sure how I feel about her just yet. 7/10

ILYBILMM - Wow, the way I assume this was gonna be a ballad. I'm glad it's not. I definitely enjoyed this track. 8.5/10

Flowers - Definitely one of the better ballads on the album. It's instrumentally light which is fine. Very cute. 8/10

Goodbye - Okay miss vocals!! I like her. It's not a bop, but it's a great song. The vocalization is what really does it for me on this track. 9/10

Rating: 87/100 :party:

Final Thoughts: She really came back after L+F. I don't think L+F is a bad album it's just not Marina. But Ancient Dreams feels like Marina again and I'm so glad she's back. I've noticed how people always say her lyrics are cringey, but Marina embraces cringey, it's her gig. It doesn't bother me actually, I love it. So I guess I'm in the minority there. My biggest complaint is how short this album is. Also, like everyone else, I wish there were more bops. She served in all of the upbeat songs on this album. We will be streaming once it's officially released. 

Jail for Man's World not being 10/10 :w8ing:

Mmeow~

8 minutes ago, Venus Fly Trap said:

6 minutes ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

4 minutes ago, Venus Fly Trap said:

Then it'd be too much ballads but for sure :makeup:

4 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

This! She also could easily rework INHA I think it would fit perfectly with this record 

This album would really benefit from a deluxe. 

I really hope Marina joins the trend of releasing a deluxe on digital platforms a little after the original release. 

INHA really should be reworked and added to the deluxe, it fits amazingly. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

47 minutes ago, Mermaid Hotel said:

She hasn’t had a consistent album since FROOT. Literally no growth as an artist whatsoever just stuck with the same sound and poorly written songs with better production :air2:

Mermaid Hotel

ok after a few listens i rlly love this album it's one of my fav releases this year. her first 3 albums remain untouchable but that's ok, this album got high highlights. the hide and seek melody sample in goodbye is very excellent. venus fly trap & title track are my current favs from the album. venus fly trap is very classic marina like whew like yes like fuck a new sound just give me the old shit w some sparkle, n the title track just gives me that Buzz I've been playing it so much since it came out. 

qfrWuBl.png

5 hours ago, TrashMagiq said:

the ending of goodbye is kinda giving hide n seek by imogen heap

The whole song has hard Imogen Heap/Emilie Autumn influence on it (it resembles the latter's "What If" heavily too)

I skimmed through the album and actually enjoyed what I listened! The only thing I'm not too fond is the melody of the I Love You But I Love Me More chorus, but overall the project sounds great. Can't wait to legally listen in full!

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

I think it’s good- very TFJ/Froot as people have pointed out, but honestly I don’t see a lot of growth as a songwriter in that the new songs don’t really do anything she hasn’t already done. I know this is a matter of opinion- many here would say the same of Lana’s recent albums (tho I think she’s trying new things every record in ways that are fresh and exciting to me). Marina’s voice is SO gorgeous and I would really love to see her try new things and stretch as an artist and songwriter, but am not seeing that on this new record.

aOaIzH2.gif