Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

VENUS :defeated: FLY :defeated: TRAAAPPPPPP :defeated:

holy fuck this album's actually quite brilliant so far. i'm more than halfway through, and i'm enjoying it so much so far

lABVyGE.png

1 hour ago, OverYourHead said:

L+F is insanely better than this, she’s trying waaaaay too hard to be “woke” or something, it sounds like a tumblr album from 2010

We know, babe; we’ve already seen your other 300 replies in here saying the same thing. Move on to the Charli thread, pls :oopna2:

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

I am so mad that the only song that had the potential to be amongst her career highlights, Venus Fly Trap, is literally not even 3 minutes long

that song screams TFJ from every pore and that [misognystic slur] had the NERVE to cut it to 2 minutes? fuck right off marina

she needs to stop reusing the same melody over and over like on pandoras box i swear i heard it on nearly every song of hers its tired

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

2 hours ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

she needs to stop reusing the same melody over and over like on pandoras box i swear i heard it on nearly every song of hers its tired

To be human's harmonies are all over the song. I don't dislike it actually, but ye, definetly not the most creative practice (some other melodies are also reused -ILYBILMM samples Solitaire and Life is Strange, p.e-).

Not complaining about the artwork, just imagining

I know that the majority feels like the Man's World cover is disconnected from the other's, but I think that it fits with the record's name

Spoiler

hNoO31r.jpg

Spoiler

epVKe5s.jpg

I would love if this was the original artwork for the record. When she said Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land, I thought that was also going to explore more those ideas along the record and also being inspired musically by it.

How apparently none of this happened, I think that the cover of Man's World could reinforce the concept. It's very ancient inspired with a contemporary twist. The perfect package for the modern music.

Summarizing: We had too much modern and little ancient. The cover could help balance it

4 hours ago, OverYourHead said:

L+F is insanely better than this, she’s trying waaaaay too hard to be “woke” or something, it sounds like a tumblr album from 2010

tenor.gif

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

4 hours ago, ultralife said:

I think the problem with the album is the tracklist tbh... it goes from super high energy at the start to a bunch of ballads slapped on the end

I was thinking this earlier as well. You can loosely divide all the tracks into 3 main groups:

Songs about self-love - ADIAML, VFT

Songs about society/politics - Man's World, PTP, New America

Songs about Jack/break-up - HEP, Pandora's Box, ILYBILMM, Flowers, Goodbye

as you can see, that's basically the order of the track list (with the exception of HEP), so it's like she just structured the order around these themes

2 hours ago, ultralife said:

I think the problem with the album is the tracklist tbh... it goes from super high energy at the start to a bunch of ballads slapped on the end

I just listened to the album for the second time after my initial listen yesterday and I think you nailed it.

The record is fun and I like it a lot but it just feels so ... divided.

ILYBILMM can't really bring back the momentum after PB stopped it. It's even more apparent cause the album is so extremely short and the two ballads at the end are the longest songs on it.

Froot and TJF had a much better mix of energetic tracks and ballads. ADIAML did not need Pink Convertible, it needed a few more upbeat/danceable/energetic songs for its second half

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

2 hours ago, sjatib said:

To be human's harmonies are all over the song. I don't dislike it actually, but ye, definetly not the most creative practice (some other melodies are also reused -ILYBILMM samples Solitaire and Life is Strange, p.e-).

Well good thing I don’t listen to L+F so I don’t notice the tbh and life is strange similarities! :hooker:

7 hours ago, OverYourHead said:

Highly disagreed. If she stuck to her own personal introspection on Love + Fear (also naming it Love in Fear) it would make a huge difference and make the record sound better and less pretentious. Yet, songs like all we know is life is strangego enjoy your life and i don't know how to be a human where she was trying hard to become a pseudopsychological guru with plain messages failed enormously. She was too afraid to make this album about her, she was too afraid to tell the world she was scared of loving Jack, she was too afraid to tell it to him himself, and so on. That's the tea.

original.gif

43 minutes ago, Thunder Corpse said:

Froot and TJF had a much better mix of energetic tracks and ballads. ADIAML did not need Pink Convertible, it needed a few more upbeat/danceable/energetic songs for its second half

THIS!

I wish she'd changed the typical convention of more energetic songs in the beginning and (and that's the cliché I dislike the most) ballads at the end.

It's clear this album had a concept, and she should've broken the paradigm by something absurd, like putting Venus Fly Trap as the closer lol

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif