Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Just finished the first full listen... I love it! This is definitely a return to form, so happy to have her back like this (l+f was a snooze, sorry. I honest to god don't remember a single melody or lyric)

The title track is a certified BOP, the next 3 singles are incredible as well. Kinda felt that MW didn't quite fit after VFT, but it's okay.

NA was amazing, the intro made me immediately think of some kinda action hero animated series, it would fit during a moment when they're facing off criminals lol, anyways 

ILYBILMM - love it, relatable, Flowers - ugh, so precious and beautiful, loved Goodbye as well

Parts of the album are definitely a mix of TFJ and Froot

After listening to the album in full, I think that I can safely say this is my favorite album of 2021 so far. Choosing Ancient Dreams as the title track was a perfect choice, and I think that the transition between the social/political themes and the love themes are done really smoothly. My favorite is definitely Venus Fly Trap, with Pandora's Box and ILYBILMM following closely behind. I do think that Flowers is gonna be top three, or maybe even my favorite, after spending a few more days with it though. The production on this album has some of my favorite production ever from Marina - there's a perfect blend of strings, piano, guitar, drums and synths. Although I did like Love + Fear and it spawned some Marina gems for me (particularly End of the Earth), I think that this album feels more like the follow-up to Froot. I'm in love 

imageproxy.jpg

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ALBUM

Guys, I noticed that the L+F unreleased (If its worth it, water under the bridge, please don't call me, absent love) were made in 2017. Do u think that songs are about Jack? Or about her past relationships? 

Bc as u know, they were together since 2015, so did they had that situations in 2017 already? 

I know it's not of my business but I just have the doubt

It’s 3am in France I got woken up by a nasty teeth ache and I can’t go back to sleep so I decided to discover the album and fuck me aoty :defeated: New America melody has me drenching my bed in tears I wouldn’t have minded if it was upbeat tracks only 

But a 36mins record... I’m too used to Lana and her 15 tracks :(

ZKcaooE.png

I don’t know how stupid this is but NA makes me think of a Hollywood sequel... I need a video :poordat: 

I have a question though - why put HEP before NA? I haven’t heard the song in full but it seemed like a ballad when all the first songs then NA are upbeat and all the end is ballads

ZKcaooE.png

I wonder if there will be merch released tomorrow or maybe with the concert livestream :brows:

I'm just hoping we won't have to wait until the tour cuz I'm really excited to see it!

26 minutes ago, mansfield ringer said:

I would be so satisfied with a record of ballads like Highly Emotional People, Flowers, and Goodbye. The true show stoppers of this record. We need a Marineymoon.

Ikr. I love her ballads so much 

7 hours ago, Super Movie said:

After listening to the album in full, I think that I can safely say this is my favorite album of 2021 so far. Choosing Ancient Dreams as the title track was a perfect choice, and I think that the transition between the social/political themes and the love themes are done really smoothly. My favorite is definitely Venus Fly Trap, with Pandora's Box and ILYBILMM following closely behind. I do think that Flowers is gonna be top three, or maybe even my favorite, after spending a few more days with it though. The production on this album has some of my favorite production ever from Marina - there's a perfect blend of strings, piano, guitar, drums and synths. Although I did like Love + Fear and it spawned some Marina gems for me (particularly End of the Earth), I think that this album feels more like the follow-up to Froot. I'm in love 

RT. This album is amazing, wtf. I am shocked because it's great all the way through and there's not really a song I dislike.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I love every single song. No skips. My faves are Venus Fly Trap, Highly Emotional People, I Love You But I Love Me More, Flowers and Goodbye. Goodbye sent me to heaven. :defeated: Can't stop listening to it. 

I loved the album and how cohesive it is! I Also loved the visuals and the themes in the videoclips. I really liked all the songs with my favorites being vft, mw, adiaml and from my latest listen of the album in full i have to say that i love you but i love me more ( the guitar is just the cherry on top) and goodbye are amazing songs :legend:one of my favorite releases this year

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

So first listen of the album! so while I didn’t hate l + f, but I did feel it was subpar. This follow up is stronger lyrically and I do agree with others that it’s more in tune with Froot but with some musical elements of l + f. I, however, feel the political songs are just ugh not bad but not good? They’re at best punchy and listenable but pale compared to the ballads and more personal stories?

I wish she would mix the political with the personal as she did in Family Jewels or even Froot where you have thoughtful  songs like Savages and Immortal closing the record. Here you are thrust in the political and while Marina inserts herself, she is barely there. The first four songs are all political and not enough of Marina’s psyche. And while I love bops like the opening track, it lacks her characteristic depth.

Pandora’s Box finally shifts the tone into all personal songs and ballads. (Highly Emotional People is there but is followed by very cringey New America). Then you have some beautiful pieces: ILYBILMM, Flowers, and Goodbye. All these tracks remind of the lyrical depth of Froot with some musical elements of L + F. Flowers is my absolute favorite. 

Now I think politics are very important to Marina as an artist now and but this album is at her most heaviest. So much so that I think it obscures the relatability or the encapsulation of a particular moment in time. I think politics work best at the background of a song, the best political commentary in music are often tongue in cheek and often never ouvert. I think her political songs are catchy but suffer from being openly political. 

Finally, I find the placement of the songs really not good? They don’t flow. L + F can take a lot of criticism but at least each part told a cohesive story or theme. The opening to Ancient Dreams is super political with closing love ballads and no real bridge to connect the two ideas. Maybe if the political ideas where mentioned in the love songs and vice versa, there would be a cohesive story???

i do think this album is better than l + f but I feel this album is less listenable? Like I can play l + f in the background and vibe, but I can only come back to certain songs in this album.

anyway this is an accidental review but I’m very mixed on the album, overall the overly political songs are not it and not really interested in this road Marina is going (if she keeps the political music going on). Musically I love the direction but I wish the themes remained more soaked in the personal.