Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

30 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Don't know if this was posted before but I did this cover with this pic, way superior to me than the one she went for.

marina-ancient-dreams-in-a-modern-land-m

And I LOVE the album!!! It's really good.

Will definitely be using this - she 10000% should’ve used this pic - she looks stunning omg

16 minutes ago, brandon said:

Will definitely be using this - she 10000% should’ve used this pic - she looks stunning omg

thank u bestie! :oprah: 

and yeah, she looks beautiful. This era's visuals >>>>>>>>

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

1 minute ago, Dum-Dum said:

CAN NOT stop listening to these ballads omg they’re excellent i’m obsessed. i can’t believe i was a hater i literally can not stop listening to this album 

Welcome to the light sweetie :makeup2:

4 hours ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

so was that version of HEP with the intro before the piano real or not? 

3 hours ago, Yosemite said:

Fake, for sure. Digital doesn’t have that nor the album version 

2 hours ago, sweetie said:

You mean the 0.5 second noise? I'm hearing it on the Apple Music Dolby Atmos version :oprah3: 

So is official? 

I'm so confused ? 

I prefer the "extended intro" tbh

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Spoiler

Alrite, it's time :makeup:

-Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land: One of her catchiest songs. Production slaps and it actually evokes a stormy/kinda apocalyptic soundscape. Lyrically is meh to me though. 8/10

-Venus Fly Trap: I really consider cool from hers to rework a TFJ outtake and put it on the album. It's my favorite track so far and I love everything about it (the powerful and confident lyrics, its campy and bouncy instrumental, the sarcastic and perky vocals). A legit MATD banger! 11/10

-Man's World: I gotta admit I got tired of this one swiftly but it's probably the best political song on the album tbh. I adore its vulnerability and softness. 8/10

-Purge The Poison: Pure uninhibited and forthright catharsis. Actually the most bold and unafraid track of this record idc idc. I know it is controversial and contradictory lyrically ("Capitalism made us poor" remains one of her worst lines) BUT its message in general is great and brave :makeup:. I live for its chaotic/loud/punk soundscape. It's the 2nd most TFJ-esque track on this album too. 9/10

-HEP: A real lovely and touching ballad. The bridge's lyrics are one of her best lyrics tbh. 9/10

-New America: This one was a grower but I really like it now! I ain't american nor english is my first language so the lyrics do not hit hard to me, but overall it's another political banger. 8/10

-Pandora's Box: Ngl I expected this song to be different but it is a relatable and lovely ballad. The harmonies tho :defeated:.8/10

- ILYBILMM: I also had different expectations for this one (a bitchy and confident bop like VFT) but she's a good song nonetheless. The melody is predictable which kinda disappointed me since Marina admitted this record had weird melodies but I don't mind that that much. The instrumentation reminds me of Forget/BTT. 7/10

-Flowers: What a GORGEOUS ballad, my favorite out of the 4 actually. The piano and the vocals are enchanting. 10/10

-Goodbye: Nice ending for the album tbh. The melodies are again predictable but still a beautiful ballad and has some of her best lyrics. 8/10

Overall: 8.5/10. That's what I call a comeback :defeated:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

venus fly / goodbye / pandora are my holy trinity, her best songs in awhile. im honestly surprised at how good those three were, L+F really made me expect the worst from her this time around lmfao

xMcVPI7.jpg

-Ancient Dreams In a Modern Land: 9.5/10 This song is everything I wanted from her. It's a combination of everything I loved from TFJ and FROOT. The lyrics are pretty good too and I relate to them which is a huge plus for me. Also very good starter, gets you in the mood for the album.

-Venus Fly Trap: 10/10 Flawless. I love everything in this song. The production is immaculate, took me back in time and I feel like I'm in the EH era again but with a newly fresh sound. The lyrics make me feel like a bad bitch and I'm so here for it. The new Bubblegum Bitch for sure. Perfect song before work, I put it on the car and let's go, ready to fight a bitch at my service customer work.  

-Man's World 7/10 I don't really know if I love or hate this song tbh. Feels a little forgettable ngl. The production is cute but there isn't much going on, it could be better. Lyrics are okay ig, I have no complaints there. 

-Purge The Poison 8/10 I like it, another song I use before and after a my full time work turn. The lyrics are very messy but I understand the purpose behind it. The production is also very messy but I kinda like that lol. Overall, pretty good song and very addictive. 

-Highly Emotional People 8/10 Her voice is a standout in this song. It's soft, sweet and full of emotion, it sends a message. My only problem is that it kinda gets repetitive but still the lyrics are very relatable so I like it a lot.

-New America 6/10 The lyrics are the only thing I actually like in this song. The production is kinda meh, I forget it exists in the album and sometimes feel like skipping it. Maybe it will grow on me, let's wait and see.

-Pandora's Box 6/10 Again, love the lyrics but not getting much of the production. Repetitive and boring but the lyrics it's was holding this song together. Her voice sounds amazing here tho, can't wait to hear it live.

-I Love You But I Love Me More: 9/10 One of my favorites in the album. This fucking song has been on repeat all day, the sassy tone in the lyrics and the bitterness after an awful break up with an asshole. I know it too well, I feel the pain but also the power you always get after breaking up and the feeling of freedom. Production wise, so good feels out of FROOT.

-Flowers: 7/10 This one is a grower, after a few listens I'm loving it. Lyrics are so well written, you can feel the sadness through the melody and her voice.

-Goodbye: 8/10 Pretty good ending. I got so many emotions after listening to this. Hoping she sings this live while playing the piano, I would cry if she does it. Gonna use this song for every future break up. When she sings "I will never be yours again", I really felt that. 

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

my top 3 after 7-8 listens are:

1. ancient dreams in a modern land
  2. flowers
  3. highly emotional people

also love new america, the beginning sounds like what'd you hear before a breaking news update. there isnt one skip on the album, but i think im already sick of man's world + purge the poison :( ILYBILMM is also working its way up my list, it sounds like such a stadium rock ballad, reminds me of who's gonna save you now by rina. i need more time with ADIAML, but its definitely better than l+f, and the production is some of her best.

How long Pitchfork takes to review an album?

Her score on Metacritic is above 8 for the first time and I'm scared it might get lowered due to Pitchfork's score.

I usually don't care about scores and critics, but seeing Marina triumph with the same style that she was bashed for it's like a reminder that being true to yourself always pays off

31 minutes ago, knives said:

my top 3 after 7-8 listens are:

1. ancient dreams in a modern land
  2. flowers
  3. highly emotional people

also love new america, the beginning sounds like what'd you hear before a breaking news update.

Yes!! Noticed this, too, it really adds to the song.

Such a great album, was hoping to love this project and it’s even better than I had hoped :wub:

such a terrible album

the surface level superficial metaphysical lyrics that read like a facebook mom's regurgitated new age spirituality quotes "youre not here to conform, trying to get back to a place before I had form"

then the eyerolling lyrics about global warming that seem like they were written from the perspective of a sixth grader's newly developed climate concerns except with more virtue signalling, its giving greta thunberg

1 hour ago, urgirl said:

I’m depressed seeing everyone’s positive reactions cuz I was disappointed by the album...

You don't have to be like everybody else

You don't have to fit into the norm

You're not here to conform :beyonce:

Cheers to the alternative society :mj2:

Do what you want

Dislike what everyone likes

Everything is allowed :lolliney:

I am in LOVE with the album. It's beautiful and everything that I hoped for :krylie: Definitely reminiscent to The Family Jewels - it's my favorite project of hers so I was absolutely thrilled at the similarities in sound/message, etc. I was a bit afraid it was going to be too "political" but I found it to be a nice balance and was glad there were more personal songs on the record. And GOD I'm in love with Highly Emotional People; it's gonna be on repeat. Pandora's Box is probably my next favorite off of the album - I'm desperate to know who the "Her" is at the end of the first verse :pout: