Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

3 hours ago, COCC said:

https://marinaandthediamonds.fandom.com/wiki/Lana_Del_Rey#Marina_and_Lana

Hide contents

In July 2011, Marina wrote on Twitter: "Could not handle Lana Del Rey's beauty tonight. She is 1 of the true beauty queens. Listen to her music. Love u, gf."[1]. Lana wrote to her later: "Love You- Didn't wanna say Goodbye", to which Marina replied: "I never wanna say g'bye to the Princess of Oi"[2]. More than a month later, in September 2011, Lana wrote to Marina: "How's My Girl?".

On January 1, 2012, Lana also wrote to Marina: "Thinking of you today. Happy New Years".

In September 2012, Marina quoted Lana Del Rey's words from an interview to BBC Radio 1[3], "I listen to a little [Marina's discography], She has a song called 'Teen Idle' that I really like", on Twitter[4].

In March 2015, Marina was asked thrice about Lana Del Rey.

In an interview to The Independent, Marina said: “At the starting everyone was comparing me to Lana [...] You will always be compared in that fashion when you are a girl. People zero in on the fashion, on stuff like ‘well, she’s a got a curl and Lana Del Rey has a curl... they must be the same thing’. I adore her, think she’s tremendously talented. However, I’m glad the comparison has gone away.”[5]

In an interview to I am hype, when asked about the possibility of a collaboration with Britney Spears or Lana Del Rey, she said: "With Britney Spears? That would be weird. Lana, I love Lana," later answering the question if Lana loves her too: "I think so. One thing is to love an artist and another thing is working with it. So it wouldn’t probably work, for example between me and Britney. But you never know, I love her so I will always be interested to do so. [When it comes to Lana] I do not know, I mean I haven’t seen her for four years. It really depends on the song, if you stay with the person, there are many other factors you know... So we’ll see, you never know. Never say never."[6]

In an interview to the Aquarian, an interviewer said to her: "Friends of mine always talk about you and Lana Del Rey being sort of the dream lineup," to which she replied: "You and half of the internet. That’s all that I see in my Twitter mentions. [...] I love her. I think we share a similar aesthetic in a way, my second album and her first one. I think we both obsessed over an icon, but yeah, I think she’s lovely."[7]

Lana thanked in the booklet of her album Lust for Life (2017), writing "Thank you Marina - for your friendship and your art". Marina did the same two years later.

In February 2017, Marina replied to a fan saying to her on Instagram that she should listen to Lana's song "Love", to which she replied "I have and I am. It's beautiful. Love her". Lana replied: "Angel".

In May 2017, Marina posted a video on Instagram with her and Lana, the first actual media that can be found online, in which they were seen together; Marina said to fans, being hugged by Lana: "I know you've been waiting for this for a long time, I have a surprise! We haven't seen each other for five years, and we know you're so supportive of our friendship, so we just wanted to send you some love." Lana posted later a picture of their friendship bracelets they bought at the Pygmy Hippo Shoppe in Los Angeles, captioned "I can't tell you how happy it made me to see this Angel. I don't even have the right words to explain how good it was to see her!" (Marina was seen wearing it when singing Disconnect live in June 2017). Among many videos/photos posted together, Lana captioned one "SISTERS".

In July 2017, Marina posted on Instagram a video from Lana's concert she attended.

The same month, Lana was asked on who she’d love to work with in an interview with Annie Mac. She said: “I love Rae Stremmurd, I love Swae (Lee), from that group. I really love Lil Yachty, just as people, you know, they make me smile and I just think they’re such amazing artists. I love Marina. I love Bat For Lashes, I love Natasha. Florence I really love.”[8]

Lana also spoke to Zane Lowe on Beats 1 Radio, where she said about Marina: “we always say we’ll do something but I don’t know what she’s gonna do with her music.”[9]

In October 2017, Lana was asked on her Instagram livestream about a collab with Marina, smiling and replying: "That's my girl".[10]

In December 2017, Marina posted on Instagram a photo of Lana with her cat at her house from summer. She also uploaded another pic taken together.

On February 26, 2018, Marina posted another pic with Lana captioned "Sis ?‍♀️", and Lana posted a pic with Marina dining together out captioned "Babe ?????". The same day, Del Rey hosted a livestream on Instagram showing her working on her sixth studio album, Norman Fucking Rockwell, with Jack Antonoff. Shortly afterwards, Diamandis posted a picture of herself, Del Rey and Antonoff together sparking rumours that a collaboration between the musicians was in the works,[11]. However, Marina answered on her Instagram Q&A in November 2018 that a collab between the two is not in plans.

In March 2018, Marina was dining out with Lana as well as Florence Welch and FKA twigs[12]. Marina also uploaded a pic wth Lana and FKA twigs[13].

On July 7, 2018, Del Rey was spotted with Marina on a street in LA.

In July 2018, Marina interviewed Lana for L'Officiel USA, asking her: "To what extent do you think our personalities are shaped by the way we look?"[14].

In September 2018, Marina spent more time with Lana and her family. Lana's father wrote: “We just adopted the beautiful Marina ... to celebrate the girls bought me a gansta Golden peanut necklace”. The same month, she added a selfie on Twitter captioned "Soy la princesa" (a lyric from Del Rey's song, Ultraviolence), to which Lana replied "Ugh ily".

In October 2018, Del Rey's father wished Marina happy birthday "from the whole fam".

In December 2018, Diamandis was again asked about her collab with Del Rey, saying "I would love to, 'cause I think she’s one of the best artists of our generation and I love her as a person, but I think it’s just a timing thing"[15].

Marina thanked Lana in the booklet of LOVE + FEAR (2019), writing "Thank you Lana - for your inspiring views on life. I appreciate our friendship so much."

In February 2019, Lana posted on Instagram a fragment of Marina's music video for her first single from her 4th album, "Handmade Heaven", captioned "Marina❤️".

In March 2019, Lana posted yet another picture with Marina on her Instagram[16].

Same month, Marina shared a poem written by Lana, ‘Quiet Waiter-Blue Forever’, adding: “Lana = an incredible poet”.[17]

Why are you leaving out the fact that Marina unfollowed Lana on social media after she posted the QFTC? 

36 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

That's a reach

It would be a reach to say that she hates her, but it's safe to say they're not friends since they haven't interacted in over 2 years and Marina has unfollowed Lana on IG

What proof do you have that she does NOT not like her?

1 minute ago, Charlottexseax said:

Why are you leaving out the fact that Marina unfollowed Lana on social media after she posted the QFTC? 

It would be a reach to say that she hates her, but it's safe to say they're not friends since they haven't interacted in over 2 years and Marina has unfollowed Lana on IG

What proof do you have that she does NOT not like her?

There still is no proof for that. :biblio: But yeah, they're not hanging out as much as they used to. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't like each other anymore.

original.gif

1 minute ago, vrtvie said:

There still is no proof for that. :biblio: But yeah, they're not hanging out as much as they used to. Doesn't necessarily mean they don't like each other anymore.

But Marina DID unfollow her at one point and it was more than a year ago (you can check) 

So, while it doesn't mean that they hate each other, it certainly doesn't mean that they are friends either 

18 hours ago, EXODUS said:

Marina: "I'm answering the most pressing + provocative fan questions :creep:

Fan: *mentions Lana :smokes:*

Marina: "I don't wanna talk about it :biblio:

Marina + Fan: *awkward silence*

Did this happen for real?

29 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

She was following Lana on Instagram and Twitter and as soon as the "Culture" thing happened, she unfollowed Lana. I saw it myself as well as tons of other fans, so yes there's actual proof. lol

Ariana unfollowed too.

That thing she wrote and the doubling down comments and videos were gross. Turned off so many people.

21 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

She was following Lana on Instagram and Twitter and as soon as the "Culture" thing happened, she unfollowed Lana. I saw it myself as well as tons of other fans, so yes there's actual proof. lol

I would like to believe you but there still is no actual proof. I don't even think Marina is the kind of a person to unfollow Lana just for her one controversial IG post instead of talking it out with her, but maybe I am wrong. Still, Lana does follow Marina even though Ariana and Lana unfollowed each other after the question for culture thing. Also, Marina did not follow Lana on Twitter because she unfollowed everyone around the 10th of May 2019 when toxic stans were bullying her and she changed her description to "run by Marina HQ team". :toofloppy: She didn't follow anyone later, you guys can check that on webarchive.

original.gif

53 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

Why do you think I'm providing a list of all their interactions? :creep:

7 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Still, Lana does follow Marina even though Ariana and Lana unfollowed each other after the question for culture thing.

The Ariana thing was different. Lana implied that Ariana contacted her to talk about the QFTC, so it might have caused some tension between them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marina just got distant from Lana, so when the QFTC happened she decided to stay away. If that was the case, I'm happy about it. Publicly supporting someone like Lana while making the music that she does it would be hypocrite. 

And they both have their circle of friends that doesn't seem to mix it.

I'm relieved to know that Marina decided to stay out of this mess

15 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

The Ariana thing was different. Lana implied that Ariana contacted her to talk about the QFTC, so it might have caused some tension between them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marina just got distant from Lana, so when the QFTC happened she decided to stay away. If that was the case, I'm happy about it. Publicly supporting someone like Lana while making the music that she does it would be hypocrite. 

And they both have their circle of friends that doesn't seem to mix it.

I'm relieved to know that Marina decided to stay out of this mess

We can assume Marina got distant from Lana but still, as I said, it is unknown when and why exactly that happened. I myself had a theory that she was hanging out with Lana just because she was so unsure of her career and music industry after the hiatus, so she wanted to feel more inspired or something and please her fans a bit. However, it makes little sense because 1) she met Florence and FKA twigs with Lana, so it indicates their conversations were mostly about music and business (especially that "DIY" caption), but at the same time 2) she met Lana's family, so it indicates they were really close friends. I mean, Lana certainly didn't invite Ariana, The Weeknd, A$AP Rocky or whoever else to meet her family, let alone have her father wish them happy birthday. It is just a sad realisation of today's society that you have to follow someone on socials in order to be considered their friend by the public.

original.gif

37 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

I would like to believe you but there still is no actual proof. I don't even think Marina is the kind of a person to unfollow Lana just for her one controversial IG post instead of talking it out with her, but maybe I am wrong. Still, Lana does follow Marina even though Ariana and Lana unfollowed each other after the question for culture thing. Also, Marina did not follow Lana on Twitter because she unfollowed everyone around the 10th of May 2019 when toxic stans were bullying her and she changed her description to "run by Marina HQ team". :toofloppy: She didn't follow anyone later, you guys can check that on webarchive.

I'm sorry ma'am is this you?

On 5/28/2020 at 12:19 AM, vrtvie said:

M has unfollowed Lana on IG. Congratulations, Marina. You compromised yourself once again.

y'all are so hellbent on wanting marina and lana to still be friends in 2021 that you're doing mental backflips...

y'all are so hellbent on wanting marina and lana to still be friends in 2021 that you're doing mental backflips...

Or just changing opinion. Thats normal. Calm down.

Just now, COCC said:

Or just changing opinion. Thats normal. Calm down.

That's not what I said?

He said "there's no proof Marina unfollowed Lana on IG after the Question for the Culture" and I showed him that he, himself, said that Marina had unfollowed Lana after that post when it happened last year

I was just providing "proof" for my statement not to change his mind

Thanks for the reminder, but I wrote that not knowing when that happened lol! It's not like I visited their Instagram pages everyday and kept wondering whether they follow each other or no. I personally don't care much if they're friends or not, but let's just be clear.

original.gif

Just now, vrtvie said:

Thanks for the reminder, but I wrote that not knowing when that happened lol! It's not like I visited their Instagram pages everyday and kept wondering whether they follow each other or no. I personally don't care much if they're friends or not, but let's just be clear.

I mean there's no definitive proof that she unfollowed her after the post but all the signs, including us last year, point to that

So, it's more reasonable to think that she did than that she didn't, at least IMO 

this thread never fails to be one of the messiest on this site oh my GOD

also interesting that she said she didn't put INHA on streaming because of the leak- does that mean her unreleased/demos album would be entirely unheard material?  could you imagine :hdu:

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

3 hours ago, June Gloom said:

also interesting that she said she didn't put INHA on streaming because of the leak- does that mean her unreleased/demos album would be entirely unheard material?  could you imagine :hdu:

No she mentioned Dirty Sheets which she released on MySpace so IDK 

5 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Did this happen for real?

Supposedly it did happen, but there's no proof, and supposedly the video that is a proof is edited because you can't hear shit. 

3 hours ago, June Gloom said:

21 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

No she mentioned Dirty Sheets which she released on MySpace so IDK 

As long as there is a final Miss Y and Scab and Plaster, I'll be more than happy. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

5 hours ago, domandapiano said:

It’s just like…. why does anyone care one way or the other :dmd:

Literally lol… who gives a shit about whether they like each other or not. it’s kinda really weird to constantly be speculating about their friendship/creating narratives that frankly aren’t anyone’s businesses. like give it a rest my god