Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 hour ago, Moon River said:

This album was pretty much dead on arrival huh. Venus Fly Trap had a bit of a moment and there was that virtual concert but then… nothing.

Unfortunately vinyl albums are what makes big sales nowadays for an artist like Marina. Look at how Lana can sell physical copies of anything but her charting are a bit 'eh' as well as her streamings. Her vinyl sales are what go through the roof. She's knows that too. That's why Lana is so careful about album releases in order to make sure it coincides with the production of vinyl. That way everything goes to sale together in perfect time. Marina's vinyls won't be ready until Feb 2022. She released the album too early for her vinyls to be ready. Her new album is so good but sadly there was poor sales and very low charting.

54 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

yeah but aren't all albums like that nowadays? i can't really blame her, seems to be the current modus operandi on the industry

Not for Taylor Swift or Billie so I wouldn't say all albums fail like this.

I still think it’s poor to have only 10 songs, it has less replay value. An album should be 15 songs. Her music is quite repetitive and playing songs over and over can get tiring. If she just had a few more varied songs it would take hold better. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

11 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

.Not for Taylor Swift or Billie so I wouldn't say all albums fail like this.

I’m sorry but you’re delusional if you think Billie is that different ?

9 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

I’m sorry but you’re delusional if you think Billie is that different ?

Billie's new album is selling well. Like Taylor. May not be the same league as Taylor but she's doing well. Marina didn't do well at all. Where's the delusions?

20 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Unfortunately vinyl albums are what makes big sales nowadays for an artist like Marina. Look at how Lana can sell physical copies of anything but her charting are a bit 'eh' as well as her streamings. Her vinyl sales are what go through the roof. She's knows that too. That's why Lana is so careful about album releases in order to make sure it coincides with the production of vinyl. That way everything goes to sale together in perfect time. Marina's vinyls won't be ready until Feb 2022. She released the album too early for her vinyls to be ready. Her new album is so good but sadly there was poor sales and very low charting.

Not for Taylor Swift or Billie so I wouldn't say all albums fail like this.

Billies new album will be dead on arrival, hype for her has dropped 50-60%…she will sell ok first week then drop. She had too much success too early in her career and her new music is average,   Taylor is Taylor, it’s a mystery to me how she’s as successful and not had more flops…but I guess her fans and a lot of the general public see her as a god.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

4 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Billie's new album is selling well. Like Taylor. May not be the same league as Taylor but she's doing well. Marina didn't do well at all. Where's the delusions?

That’s not what we were talking about?

We weren’t talking about SALES but about albums not being long lasting, and Billie after her EP, which I admit was one of the best EP of the decade, has been all about the money and 0 about making long lasting albums… her singles are incredibly bland and boring and she’s just looking for a check, same way she did with all her merch over priced merch

4 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Taylor is Taylor, it’s a mystery to me how she’s as successful and not had more flops…but I guess her fans and a lot of the general public see her as a god.

Taylor is an outlier cause, unlike most successful artists, she actually cares about her fans and gives them what they want, and more importantly keeps her promises

Also, even 10+ years in her career, she still works hard on her albums, and carefully thinks about EVERY detail

Compare her to Katy Perry, who was even more famous than her at one point. After PRISM, Katy literally dropped the ball and now she’s selling shoes

What is Taylor doing? Re releasing her albums with 10 additional outtakes 

Like, this is huge. She’s consistently giving her fans what they want, and this is how she’s able to keep a strong fanbase going for almost 15 years at this point 

Well at least we can say she wanted her fans to hear the album instead of making us wait for those vinyls just in order to chart. Anyway a deluxe would be nice, especially if it were to be released the same time the vinyls are. That would be an interesting move and would help her chart again.

original.gif

3 hours ago, Moon River said:

This album was pretty much dead on arrival huh. Venus Fly Trap had a bit of a moment and there was that virtual concert but then… nothing.

imo this album was not much better than L+F :bebe: the concept, cute. visuals, cute. the singles were bops, Man's World especially was great but released too early. not that the music was necessarily bad, but i think that if you want to release a solid album with only 35 mins and 10 tracks, you need to have 10 really great tracks. 

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

honestly i wanna order the emerald vinyl but the mockup on her site looks ... not great- sad we didn't get a teal or blue vinyl to match the album cover

Ancient Dreams imo is still a really solid album but it defs could've used 2-3 more upbeat tracks just to balance it out a bit more, it's honestly weird comparing how overly short this is compared to L+F considering that record was so long and had so many outtakes... wonder how many were left around for this one outside of PC and Happy Loner tbh

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

5 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

yeah but aren't all albums like that nowadays? i can't really blame her, seems to be the current modus operandi on the industry

not really :toofunny:  the only other album i can think of that was dead upon arrival was chemtrails and that’s just because it was delayed months and lana got bored of it.. and then announced another album right after (also chromatica but we know that had a giant rollout planned and covid just kinda crushed it to shreds)

most artists keep the promo up months and months after they drop the album, new vids, performances, interviews, pushing singles, etc etc etc 

marinas idea of promoting an album is going on podcasts and saying the same shit every time, posting her friends on her ig story, and not saying a word about her actual music that just came out :crai:

In the podcast when they were talking about friendships, the interviewer asked if she broke off any friendship during the pandemic and Marina said no. That the friendships that she ended, she ended about 3/4 years ago. Can we suppose that Marina and Lana are still friends?

9 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

In the podcast when they were talking about friendships, the interviewer asked if she broke off any friendship during the pandemic and Marina said no. That the friendships that she ended, she ended about 3/4 years ago. Can we suppose that Marina and Lana are still friends?

i don’t really love speculating abt their friendship too much but.. maybe?? i feel like people make it into some big dramatic thing like “omg they were besties and now they hate each other!” but tbh I always felt like their friendship was sorta fanservice more than anything, they knew their fans would absolutely love and adore seeing their favs together. 

They don’t ever see each other or hangout but I’m sure they probably like congratulate each other on new releases and stuff and keep at least a little in touch

1 hour ago, brandon said:

finally… an ounce of promo

This is the Marina I fell in love with at first during TFJ

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

3 hours ago, Still Sane said:

"A part of my fanbase loved (Love+Fear)" Well I guess she considers 2-3 fans to be "a part of her fanbase" :toofloppy:

Yeah, she actually texted me to ask if it was okay to count me in for the L+F stan part of the fanbase!

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

2 hours ago, EXODUS said:

This is the Marina I fell in love with at first during TFJ

She really lost herself when she fell in love with Jack. Glad she's back.

original.gif

44 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Yeah, she actually texted me to ask if it was okay to count me in for the L+F stan part of the fanbase!

Same omg... shes so sweet via text! And we look so youthful and unbothered by that amazing record!