Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Heard the new songs… and… 

the demos: they’re cute, but I’m never a big fan of demos unless they bring something else altogether to a song.

Happy Loner is so good because it resonates so much with me.

Pink Convertible: super production, loved the preview but it went into a direction I wasn’t expecting (as in: more Buzzfeed type of lyrics about the planet). I’m sure it will grow on me, like most of the songs from this album (the lyrics are a bit cringy at times and not subtle at all, which i needed to be reminded of)

Free Woman is the one I connect the least at the moment. Not bad, but not super memorable at the moment for me. 

Marina has come back to basics and it's nice! ADIAML is one of my favorite albums of this year, it even passed Blue Banisters and Chemtrails for me. I easily classify it next to Froot. The production is perfect, the audio work is clean and of high quality. each song - although there are many ballads - is magical, worked, calm, a comfortable atmosphere with catchy songs. Ballads are not the ones I listen to most often but Marina knows how to do them so well, and this voice that she masters to perfection, impossible to be captivated... And the pop songs are great (ok the lyrics are sometimes a little wobbly but the sound is really good) :party:

I'm really happy that she made this album, that she paid attention to every detail, the title of the record is awesome, videos were simple "low budget" and they are beautiful. Great effort in terms of visuals. She was able to get the best out of her and I would like to thank her for that. Very nice album, which would have deserved greater success. A complete and thoughtful era, she clearly understood what was wrong with her old album and did not repeat those mistakes :gclap:

I would like her to upload the entire concert in the desert which was absolutely perfect in every way (and the sound amazing), but I understand that she doesn't as people have paid dearly to see it. exclusively, but I wait, you never know.

The deluxe is not exceptional but the songs are also of a high quality, worked and well written (Happy Loner helps me a lot). Sometimes, I find you a little harsh with her, we feel that she has given great things this year, she gives herself completely. I would like Lana to be inspired by it for her next albums. :deadbanana:

marina's work just hasn't resonated with me since FROOT. i liked the sound of ADIAML (the single) but the lyrics are meh, so i haven't returned to it much. would love for her to work with a producer totally out of her comfort zone bc i think she's so talented but seems a little stuck artistically.

aOaIzH2.gif

3 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Another one of her budget videos…l think even with less money she could do a better job…Lana’s made better videos with her sisters Iphone.

I don't really agree... Lana lost that vintage iphone thing and these videos became redundant and pretty fake. Arcadia was gone wrong, her worst music video. The other one or she is on the swing is beautiful but there is no work. All of his "low budget" videos have lost that stuff, it's not so natural anymore. Marina gave great professional videos on a low budget, it looks better. 

she needs to drop the political lyrics and work with someone that she's never worked with before

i'm not saying political lyrics in GENERAL are bad it just seems that she makes them a bit too on the nose and straight forward that it loses the magic

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

8 hours ago, the ocean said:

oOoOoOoOrAnGe

oOoOoOoOrAnGe

Hide contents

i know that's not exactly what you're talking about but i had to take my chance :teehee:

''I know that money ain't important...'' - yet pls buy my expensive candles. I know this may seen rude, but for someone who says that she doesn't care about money/fame, etc., I can absolutely tell that she likes being famous and relevant, she loves that life style. There's nothing wrong with that, but she should stop forcing this idea that she's not like other girls

D.png

25 minutes ago, the ocean said:

she needs to drop the political lyrics and work with someone that she's never worked with before

i'm not saying political lyrics in GENERAL are bad it just seems that she makes them a bit too on the nose and straight forward that it loses the magic

major retweet to this :toofloppy:

she should leave all that for her insta captions, because it’s getting really redundant in her songs. it was nice in songs like sex yeah or savages but now… it seems like it’s 90% of what she writes about. way too on the nose and it just feels like she’s competing in a wokeness competition with herself at this point.

someone needs to remind her that it’s okay to make cute music just for funsies, it doesn’t have to change the world

some of the songs on ADIAML are genuinely good, VFT is a bop for example, but I really cannot get into anything she's released post FROOT too, because it just seems like so much of what I loved was lost

these new songs are cute, there are very good things scattered around, but the end result is always underwhelming

i've kinda given up on liking anything she does at this point 

5 minutes ago, brandon said:

someone needs to remind her that it’s okay to make cute music just for funsies, it doesn’t have to change the world

but then we’ll get baby and orange trees :toofloppy:

i get what you mean though and i agree

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

I agree with you guys. I enjoy a good chunk of her new album but I also think a lot of the lyrics are... not good :facepalm: 

On songs like Man's World or Purge the Poison, despite both having pretty good production, the lyrics seem so messy. Like she's shoving in as much "deep" stuff as possible for fake-woke points.

Still love the laptop demos BTW, she needs to release more :flutter:

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

Just now, the ocean said:

but then we’ll get baby and orange trees :toofloppy:

i get what you mean though and i agree

death to baby.. one of the worst songs in her discography and should’ve been left off of l+f

HOWEVER.. unpopular opinion.. i actually enjoy orange trees 😭 a cute fun carefree summer bop if you will!

39 minutes ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

I don't really agree... Lana lost that vintage iphone thing and these videos became redundant and pretty fake. Arcadia was gone wrong, her worst music video. The other one or she is on the swing is beautiful but there is no work. All of his "low budget" videos have lost that stuff, it's not so natural anymore. Marina gave great professional videos on a low budget, it looks better. 

Maybe Lana has done too many of them. But Honeymoon and Ultraviolence and even the trilogy video she did for NFR were Iconic to me.  Marina has done a ton of these videos with similar production. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

3 minutes ago, iconiclogan said:

L+F was literally so traumatic and the name change was even more cringe 

I definitely felt like she was selling out…like obviously trying to be more commercially successful. Which was contradictory to what she stated before about not being obsessed with charts and being  true to self. I didn’t buy her reasons for changing her name at all. 

6 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Maybe Lana has done too many of them. But Honeymoon and Ultraviolence and even the trilogy video she did for NFR were Iconic to me.  Marina has done a ton of these videos with similar production. 

the trilogy video for nfr was so good - i loved the vintage feel and the cute lil editing. it fit the music soooooo well

i think marinas problem is that she takes the small budget she does have and tries to make it look much more high budget than it is… which is.. painfully evident 

sometimes you just need to embrace the $5 and have fun with it! (for example - the adiaml lyric vid - you can tell it’s low budget, but it makes the most out of it, its fun!)

Just now, brandon said:

the trilogy video for nfr was so good - i loved the vintage feel and the cute lil editing 

i think marinas problem is that she takes the small budget she does have and tries to make it look much more high budget than it is… which is.. painfully evident 

sometimes you just need to embrace the $5 and have fun with it!

Yeah exactly and I loved the NFR video too, despite a lot saying it was poor. Marina just uses a lot of production techniques and overlays that she thinks look high budget but look nasty to me.