Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 hour ago, knives said:

doubt its bc she was being bitchy and more bc shes rarely on twitter.... :stareney3:

Ugh, I hate how of a bitch she became, but that won't stop me to be her fan and support her haha.

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Is she a bitchy person? I mean she can be tone deaf and up her own ass sometimes but we’re all guilty of that to some degree (especially people living in LA 💀). I wouldn’t say that she bitches more than the average person. Is there some story that I don’t know or is this another one of those “treat a celeb like a god and if they don’t live up to that expectation all the time then crucify them” kinda things? Genuinely curious

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

Just now, Tropico Angel said:

Is she a bitchy person? I’ve never gotten that impression of her. I mean she can be tone deaf and up her own ass sometimes but we’re all guilty of that to some degree (especially people living in LA 💀). I wouldn’t say that she bitches more than the average person. Is there some story that I don’t know or is this another one of those “treat a celeb like a god and if they don’t live up to that expectation all the time then crucify them” kinda things? Genuinely curious

IEFkdKx.gif

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

1 minute ago, Tropico Angel said:

Just asking because I wanna know if I’m missing drama or not  :icant:

marina has drama with like half the indie pop / "not like the other pop" girls

including ellie goulding (that's why i posted the gif jaksdflasdf)

IEFkdKx.gif

13 minutes ago, the ocean said:

marina has drama with like half the indie pop / "not like the other pop" girls

including ellie goulding (that's why i posted the gif jaksdflasdf)

IEFkdKx.gif

My bad :oop2: I know about the little petty feuds but I was thinking that I’d missed some big fight Lana vs Azealia Banks style.

Although I don’t think Marina would have the balls to go off like Lana did though 

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

1 minute ago, Tropico Angel said:

My bad :oop2: I know about the little petty feuds but I was thinking that I’d missed some big fight Lana vs Azealia Banks style.

Although I don’t think Maria would have the balls to go off like Lana did though 

she's nowhere near as bad as azealia when it comes to the drama

off the top of my head though she's had some beef with ellie (by far the worst), lana, charli, azealia lol, lily allen

Literally there was not any beef between her and Lana, and with Lily it was like 12 years ago. The song she made about Ellie was never confirmed to be about her, although we know it's 99% true, she never admitted that so I don't know how one can find it nasty of hers. To say that she's problematic is rather weak seeing how both Charli and Lily were asking her to collab. I would just say she is not really into the music industry and is rather reserved. She's been bitchy only to those stupid Twitter haters and they deserved that. What else feuds are you talking about?

"Nicki MInaj is unbearable" was iconic though.

original.gif

25 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Literally there was not any beef between her and Lana, and with Lily it was like 12 years ago. The song she made about Ellie was never confirmed to be about her, although we know it's 99% true, she never admitted that so I don't know how one can find it nasty of hers. To say that she's problematic is rather weak seeing how both Charli and Lily were asking her to collab. I would just say she is not really into the music industry and is rather reserved. She's been bitchy only to those stupid Twitter haters and they deserved that. What else feuds are you talking about?

"Nicki MInaj is unbearable" was iconic though.

really having my qtfc era the last few days :biblio:

i intentionally exaggerated the “feud” it was obviously more little teeny dramas not like an azealia level feud

i do agree with the nicki is unbearable line… cause it’s true :oop2:

I believe her ego became too big after how successful EH was as an internet cult phenomenon.

FROOT was good but it lacked the "alternative" edge that her first album, even EH had it even with that more mainstream pop sound.

Then L+F was called "bad" for being way too mainstream, but I think her original fanbase just felt betrayed that she changed her overall alternative artistry.

And now Ancient Dreams is her trying to recapture the alternative image but fell flat even though is a good album, just not classic alternative Marina.

Overall, Marina tends to believe she still is THAT bitch and she comes up bitchy or shady when she interacts with other artists (Ellie, Lily, Charli, Lana...) but tbh they all are getting bigger and better artistry wise while Marina is stuck in this strange limbo where she can't embrace mainstream pop because she feels too alternative, and at the same time she can't embrace alternative because her bubblegum pop persona exists ever since she aimed making music as good as Britney's.

All this really hurts her art at the end.

Note: I'm not hating on her, I love Marina and love every album. But I won't blindfold myself just because I'm a fan, the truth is that Marina got into this place she feared to get while making Electra Heart. Everything she feared on her song "Miss Y" happened, she became mediocre and with no personality in her art.

She can do better, we have seen better from her. 

It's time for her to create better art, to be MORE HONEST and stop being "false woke" and "tone deaf". Just be fucking yourself MARINA, stop trying to show yourself in a fake manner just to act like you are "super good and woke" on social media, and then be shady to other artists and making music that sounds so forced and woke.

I'm so done with her "America wake up!!!!!" persona, just write honest lyrics and stop rehashing your sound and make the same piano ballads that won't top Obsessions or Teen Idle.

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

6 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

She seems like a relatively normal person, a bit contradictory but otherwise nothing out of the usual, I think the hate is directed to the music tbh. She’s always relatively nice to her fans. 

I think the hate is really unjustified tbh 

4 hours ago, brandon said:

i agree she’s been shady in the past but sksjsk i don’t think her not interacting with a tweet she probably didn’t even see is bitchy or condescending  :toofloppy:

You are absolutely right, guys. I was overreacting. 

But I guess I kinda needed to vent all that haha

6 hours ago, EXODUS said:

Note: I'm not hating on her, I love Marina and love every album. But I won't blindfold myself just because I'm a fan, the truth is that Marina got into this place she feared to get while making Electra Heart. Everything she feared on her song "Miss Y" happened, she became mediocre and with no personality in her art.

Now that you've mentioned it, Miss Y would be the perfect choice as a lead single for her next album :blush3:

2 hours ago, CoochieSwirlC said:

Now that you've mentioned it, Miss Y would be the perfect choice as a lead single for her next album :blush3:

I really hope she can release Miss Y and Scab and Plaster for the promised unreleased songs compilation album. 

15 hours ago, EXODUS said:

I believe her ego became too big after how successful EH was as an internet cult phenomenon.

FROOT was good but it lacked the "alternative" edge that her first album, even EH had it even with that more mainstream pop sound.

Then L+F was called "bad" for being way too mainstream, but I think her original fanbase just felt betrayed that she changed her overall alternative artistry.

And now Ancient Dreams is her trying to recapture the alternative image but fell flat even though is a good album, just not classic alternative Marina.

Overall, Marina tends to believe she still is THAT bitch and she comes up bitchy or shady when she interacts with other artists (Ellie, Lily, Charli, Lana...) but tbh they all are getting bigger and better artistry wise while Marina is stuck in this strange limbo where she can't embrace mainstream pop because she feels too alternative, and at the same time she can't embrace alternative because her bubblegum pop persona exists ever since she aimed making music as good as Britney's.

All this really hurts her art at the end.

She can do better, we have seen better from her. 

It's time for her to create better art, to be MORE HONEST and stop being "false woke" and "tone deaf". Just be fucking yourself MARINA, stop trying to show yourself in a fake manner just to act like you are "super good and woke" on social media, and then be shady to other artists and making music that sounds so forced and woke.

I'm so done with her "America wake up!!!!!" persona, just write honest lyrics and stop rehashing your sound and make the same piano ballads that won't top Obsessions or Teen Idle.

The point is she no longer wants to be an *artist*. She gave up on it at the time everyone, like the British public and critics as well, put shit on Electra Heart, her biggest and most challenging project yet. At the time she started up, she was broke, lonely, depressed, without friends and with familly issues. This all has changed. She is now a millionaire, she has friends, she is happy, what could she write about? She's not the same type of person as Lana is, perhaps because Lana always looks for other men who inspire her (and often mistreat her too, probably). Marina tried to redeem herself with FROOT and critics did enjoy the album. And this was supposed to be the final record. I don't know honestly if her hiatus decision was made just before the tour ended or it was planned all along. We know the tour was exhausting and she had to perform despite her father's poor health et cetera. The breakthrough that was abandoning the Diamonds was letting her go of the persona she had in order to have a more casual, relaxed relationship with her profession -- yes, more of a profession instead of art. This is a little bit sad from our viewpoint because we're probably not getting anything daring from her catalogue anymore except for silly-written woke-feminist-anthems that could've been easily written on Twitter but whatever. Sex Yeah or Teen Idle lyrics touch hearts because they are spoken from her own viewpoint, these were her own problems. What she writes now seems flat at times because she tries to be universal too much. It's the same rhethoric as "we all cry the same tears at night, life is strange oh oh". I just don't think she's necessarily a good *universal* lyricist, you know what I mean? Like St. Vincent was able to write The Melting of the Sun, but Man's World or Purge the Poison -- lyrically, because sonically they're very, very good and I am really happy fo that -- seem sillier.

I want her to explore something that she has not explored about herself. This is what she needs, to be an explorer, actually interested in what's to find instead of digging the same hole again and again. Maybe something about sensuality, sexuality, something peaceful yet dreamy & beautiful, she could draw inspiration from Lana's Music to Watch Boys to or Bush's The Sensual World. Or even the other way round, more like Lily Allen, the sexual rebelion. Who knows? This is just something completely random that came into mind, and, duh, she's got lots of time and money to think about her new project to make it interesting.

Anyway Scab & Plaster is probably never coming again because I cannot imagine her releasing a song about her hating her dad after a decade. Will she even do that compilation album? Right now even Marinazine is abandoned lol.

original.gif

6 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

The point is she no longer wants to be an *artist*. She gave up on it at the time everyone, like the British public and critics as well, put shit on Electra Heart, her biggest and most challenging project yet. At the time she started up, she was broke, lonely, depressed, without friends and with familly issues. This all has changed. She is now a millionaire, she has friends, she is happy, what could she write about? She's not the same type of person as Lana is, perhaps because Lana always looks for other men who inspire her (and often mistreat her too, probably). Marina tried to redeem herself with FROOT and critics did enjoy the album. And this was supposed to be the final record. I don't know honestly if her hiatus decision was made just before the tour ended or it was planned all along. We know the tour was exhausting and she had to perform despite her father's poor health et cetera. The breakthrough that was abandoning the Diamonds was letting her go of the persona she had in order to have a more casual, relaxed relationship with her profession -- yes, more of a profession instead of art. This is a little bit sad from our viewpoint because we're probably not getting anything daring from her catalogue anymore except for silly-written woke-feminist-anthems that could've been easily written on Twitter but whatever. Sex Yeah or Teen Idle lyrics touch hearts because they are spoken from her own viewpoint, these were her own problems. What she writes now seems flat at times because she tries to be universal too much. It's the same rhethoric as "we all cry the same tears at night, life is strange oh oh". I just don't think she's necessarily a good *universal* lyricist, you know what I mean? Like St. Vincent was able to write The Melting of the Sun, but Man's World or Purge the Poison -- lyrically, because sonically they're very, very good and I am really happy fo that -- seem sillier.

I want her to explore something that she has not explored about herself. This is what she needs, to be an explorer, actually interested in what's to find instead of digging the same hole again and again. Maybe something about sensuality, sexuality, something peaceful yet dreamy & beautiful, she could draw inspiration from Lana's Music to Watch Boys to or Bush's The Sensual World. Or even the other way round, more like Lily Allen, the sexual rebelion. Who knows? This is just something completely random that came into mind, and, duh, she's got lots of time and money to think about her new project to make it interesting.

Anyway Scab & Plaster is probably never coming again because I cannot imagine her releasing a song about her hating her dad after a decade. Will she even do that compilation album? Right now even Marinazine is abandoned lol.

if i see any criticism of marina’s work from now on i’ll just quote this because this is just phrased flawlessly and also completely true