Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

2 hours ago, niandra lades said:

The other day I hopped on a trend that encouraged you to put 6 of your favorite albums in your Instagram stories. I obviously chose Electra Heart, it seemed natural to do so. It's such an special album for me, and I still listen to the songs even though it came out like ten years ago and I haven't really followed Marina for some time now. The visceral imagery of Electra Heart, the fact that is named Electra Heart...

EH is really her magnum opus imo even though Froot is fighting neck to neck to get this podium but as you said, it feels natural to me to think of EH immediately as a special album.

the way she mixed deep lyrics with electronic beats and it matched so perfectly like?? Who else was doing this?? Sis laced this album with c0caine

I dunno honestly how people perceive FROOT to be her best work, for me it's more like a "alright i'mma chill now" kinda album, somewhat a laid-back closing chapter.

original.gif

1 hour ago, vrtvie said:

I dunno honestly how people perceive FROOT to be her best work, for me it's more like a "alright i'mma chill now" kinda album, somewhat a laid-back closing chapter.

the vibe and promo with Froot did the job too, she started to do choreography and imagery was more than beautiful. She left that sad vibe from EH and entered a colorful zone.  that was what got me to love Froot as much as EH 

i dont think FROOT is her best work either, to me each of her albums seems to represent a different stage in her self development/healing journey 

TFJ - top tier album and honestly i think her second best work. i think the album was realizing+processing just how much trauma/pain she has accumulated over her life (mostly from her father+adolescence) and being overwhelmed by the heaviness/consequences of it all while trying to strive towards success as a new artist. 

EH - her most iconic album but it was during the most dark times of her life. she had very little control of the image pressured onto her during this era and her label was pushing her into a direction she didn’t want to go in but really had no choice, she escaped through creating an alter ego Electra Heart. this was also when she was trying to now deal with her trauma from childhood+adolescence but since not having full creative control she had to find a way to fit it in all while achieving the image her label wanted out of her. she created the archetypes (beauty queen, housewife, homewrecker, idle teen) that represent each of electra hearts coping mechanisms for her trauma. overall as much of a masterpiece EH is, its not marina its a persona i dont consider it to be her best work since so much of it was controlled and marina has stated how she works best independently. in a way im happy Electra Heart is dead, but her legacy will forever be revolutionary in the pop culture genre. 

FROOT - post electra heart i think she felt free no longer having to feed into the alter-ego for her label and this album just radiates of happiness i mean the first song is named Happy! its a fun album and i think its her celebration of having the control back of her creative vision and getting to do what she wants again without the pressuring control of her label.this is where you see her healing journey truly start to bloom. not her best work but i think it was just her doing what she wanted and exploring her musical identity. 

L+F - probably my least favorite of marinas, the lyrics weren’t as deep as previous albums were and the songs overall didn’t have that much depth to them. i think she was at the point in her healing journey where the trauma didn’t occupy her mind as much as it did during her TFJ & EH days and coming off the euphoria from Froot she might have hit a creators block but thats just my opinion i honestly sometimes forget its a album and always think its a ep

ADIAML - HER BEST WORK, TOP TIER #1 MARINA ALBUM. where do i start the songs are all written by her, she made sure to include a woman as the main producer, the songs are truly moving and each have the most beautiful lyrics. she was very much in control of this album. IT IS MARINA AT HER BEST. its an album thats amazing for someone going through a self love/healing journey she talks about pain and emotional suffering all while leaving you feeling uplifted & hopeful after listening. also a mans world was.....truly a game changer. 

cjRjPWT.gif          QODlvVl.gif.     

45 minutes ago, ultravyvanse said:

EH - her most iconic album but it was during the most dark times of her life. she had very little control of the image pressured onto her during this era and her label was pushing her into a direction she didn’t want to go in but really had no choice, she escaped through creating an alter ego Electra Heart. this was also when she was trying to now deal with her trauma from childhood+adolescence but since not having full creative control she had to find a way to fit it in all while achieving the image her label wanted out of her. she created the archetypes (beauty queen, housewife, homewrecker, idle teen) that represent each of electra hearts coping mechanisms for her trauma. overall as much of a masterpiece EH is, its not marina its a persona i dont consider it to be her best work since so much of it was controlled and marina has stated how she works best independently. they wanted to push the sad tumblr girl image onto her similar to lanas at the time because thats what was selling. in a way im happy Electra Heart is dead, but her legacy will forever be revolutionary in the pop culture genre. 

Wow! I honestly did not know this. She was super smart to create that alter ego, though. It really is an amazing album and it's truly one of my favorites ever. I should listen to her more, I loved the last album but I didn't really pay much attention to it. 

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

5 hours ago, ultravyvanse said:

EH - her most iconic album but it was during the most dark times of her life. she had very little control of the image pressured onto her during this era and her label was pushing her into a direction she didn’t want to go in but really had no choice, she escaped through creating an alter ego Electra Heart. this was also when she was trying to now deal with her trauma from childhood+adolescence but since not having full creative control she had to find a way to fit it in all while achieving the image her label wanted out of her. she created the archetypes (beauty queen, housewife, homewrecker, idle teen) that represent each of electra hearts coping mechanisms for her trauma. overall as much of a masterpiece EH is, its not marina its a persona i dont consider it to be her best work since so much of it was controlled and marina has stated how she works best independently. they wanted to push the sad tumblr girl image onto her similar to lanas at the time because thats what was selling. in a way im happy Electra Heart is dead, but her legacy will forever be revolutionary in the pop culture genre. 

That's not true, Marina was responsible for how Electra came to existence and it was all her idea not the label's. The only thing her label didn't allow her to was to focus (= have their funds) on two different eras at the time. It was Marina who wanted to work with Dr. Luke at the end of the day, it was her wanting to abandon her indie goals and seek fame because that's what she secretly craved and was disappointed with what a failure TFJ had been in the US. Of course, to hide all that, she wanted to create EH the popstar version as a mystery project similar to iamamiwhoami and release Die Life as an official sophomore MATD album; we know how it ended. The only thing she did not touch was the sound production but it's obvious a well known hit-maker hiring whom costs unfathomable amount of money wouldn't let her change anything if she and her team wanted a successful single. Marina does like to minimise her control over Electra Heart project because she felt she *failed* (it was bashed by critics and did not top charts), same way she did with releasing Shampain as a single and then hating the song as well as the exact same way with saying "omg you don't like Love + Fear? oh well I don't know I was insecure I didn't know what to do ummm it was my label's fault" but personally thinking it's her best album anyway :stareney2:  Remember that it was Marina who invented homoerotic How to Be a Heartbreaker music video, it was also her who rejected her manager's idea to scrap Teen Idle, it was her who spent months reading Greek mythology and browsing American and Hollywood popculture references, no one in the label was that passionate about it, and so on...

When Electra Heart was being finalised, no one in the world knew what Born to Die is, let alone how to capitalise sad tumblr girl image. It was always a mixture of the likes of Britney Spears -- heartbreak, sadness, innocence, Katy Perry -- fun, camp, parody, and Madonna -- hidden messages, philosophy, industry rebellion.

original.gif

2 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

That's not true, Marina was responsible for how Electra came to existence and it was all her idea not the label's. The only thing her label didn't allow her to was to focus (= have their funds) on two different eras at the time. It was Marina who wanted to work with Dr. Luke at the end of the day, it was her wanting to abandon her indie goals and seek fame because that's what she secretly craved and was disappointed with what a failure TFJ had been in the US. Of course, to hide all that, she wanted to create EH the popstar version as a mystery project similar to iamamiwhoami and release Die Life as an official sophomore MATD album; we know how it ended. The only thing she did not touch was the sound production but it's obvious a well known hit-maker hiring whom costs unfathomable amount of money wouldn't let her change anything if she and her team wanted a successful single. Marina does like to minimise her control over Electra Heart project because she felt she *failed*, same way she did with releasing Shampain as a single and then hating the song as well as the exact same way with saying "omg you don't like Love + Fear? oh well I don't know I was insecure I didn't know what to do ummm it was my label's fault" but personally thinking it's her best album anyway :stareney2:  Remember that it was Marina who invented homoerotic How to Be a Heartbreaker music video, it was also her who rejected her manager's idea to scrap Teen Idle, it was her who spent months reading Greek mythology and browsing American and Hollywood popculture references, no one in the label was that passionate about it, and so on...

When Electra Heart was being finalised, no one in the world knew what Born to Die is, let alone how to capitalise sad tumblr girl image. It was always a mixture of the likes of Britney Spears -- heartbreak, sadness, innocence, Katy Perry -- fun, camp, parody, and Madonna -- hidden messages, philosophy, industry rebellion.

my mistake! i must of read from unreliable sources! thank you for correcting me 

5 hours ago, ultravyvanse said:

Nah she was just obsessed with American imagery/culture in a similar yet different way to Lana at the time, she conceived Electra Heart (several months before Lana's major debut I might add) as a side project to exist outside of the "Marina and the Diamonds" discography, her manager said no, and here we are.

Her dependency on Tumblr was unrelated to Atlantic; She did a lot of blogging on her own site during TFJ era, originally made a 'marinaandthefeminists' Tumblr page pre-Electra, then she made the 'planetfroot' page for stuff related to FROOT, and then she had 'marinabook' for her essays in between eras, all blogs utilizing visual aesthetics she liked at the time.

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

15 minutes ago, AlexIl said:

Nah she was just obsessed with American imagery/culture in a similar yet different way to Lana at the time, she conceived Electra Heart (several months before Lana's major debut I might add) as a side project to exist outside of the "Marina and the Diamonds" discography, her manager said no, and here we are.

Her dependency on Tumblr was unrelated to Atlantic; She did a lot of blogging on her own site during TFJ era, originally made a 'marinaandthefeminists' Tumblr page pre-Electra, then she made the 'planetfroot' page for stuff related to FROOT, and then she had 'marinabook' for her essays in between eras, all blogs utilizing visual aesthetics she liked at the time.

interesting! im familiar with those tumblr pages expect for marinabook im going to look into it now! i wasn’t yet involved in the internet culture side of things during EH so although ive been a fan since before its release i feel like ive missed out on so much thank you for telling me :kiss:

I like Sinful but doesn't fit on TFJ sonically and almost lyrically, but I'd like to find out how much did it change in the final version nnn

Bad Kidz 11/10 should've been on TFJ wtf

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

On 9/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, vrtvie said:

Yeah does anyone remember her plan to release an album full of outtakes? Does she? :awkney:

Im sure she remembers, she just won’t do it! 

Her and Lanz will forever tease us with that idea and yet.. never release one

Carly Rae is a true icon for ACTUALLY following through with releasing b-side collections for her albums 

20 minutes ago, brandon said:

Im sure she remembers, she just won’t do it! 

Her and Lanz will forever tease us with that idea and yet.. never release one

Carly Rae is a true icon for ACTUALLY following through with releasing b-side collections for her albums 

At least Lana keeps sneaking previously-unreleased tracks in her albums essentially since NFR! (The Next Best American Record), which was followed by Chemtrails (Yosemite, Not All Who Wander Are Lost, Dark But Just a Game), and BB (Dealer, Thunder, Nectar of the Gods, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom, If You Lie Down with Me). Not the same as a full The Unreleased Collection comp but at least it's something.

I would love if MARINA followed her albums with a small 4 to 6 track EP of outtakes from its parent album à la Carly. I mean, L+F literally has like 8 outtakes that are better crafted than many songs from the official release so that would've been a great idea. ADIAML had its re-release, at least ddd.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

11 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

I would love if MARINA followed her albums with a small 4 to 6 track EP of outtakes from its parent album à la Carly. I mean, L+F literally has like 8 outtakes that are better crafted than many songs from the official release so that would've been a great idea. ADIAML had its re-release, at least ddd.

I am glad she *finally* followed through with a rerelease after all these years of telling us we’d get one (even though she left out the best one?? cause i’m a woman deserved to be on there so bad!!) 

and i get l+f (maybe?) bc i know some of the songs (specifically there’s nothing wrong w you) didn’t make the cut because jesse st. john had writing credits on them and she didn’t want him making money off her music after the abuse allegations - but also? i’m sure he didn’t have a hand in ALL those outtakes :crai:cuz there were a lot :rollin:almost all of them better than the released tracks for that era :toofunny:

also: eh platinum blonde edition could’ve used a lot more of the unreleased tracks, and i still don’t understand what’s keeping her from just putting inha on streaming but whatever