Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

8 minutes ago, Jaeden xx said:

Controversial View? (on here at least)

ADIAML & L+F aren't bad :hottie:

They really aren't but there's no topping the first 3 records and L+F was a massive disappointment coming from her, just from a production & visual standpoint; We're used to high-concept electropop/pop-rock bangers with artsy referential visuals, so it was strange to see her adopt a new vibe that felt like it could belong to anybody in pop that year.

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

11 hours ago, Jaeden xx said:

Controversial View? (on here at least)

ADIAML & L+F aren't bad :hottie:

As LF has aged, I've grown to respect it more, but that might be because I've mentally matured and done a lot of self reflection over the past year or so. But some of the tracks on LF are still terrible

Spoiler

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORANGE

Also Karma was reproduced to make baby and orange trees sound sonically cohesive to the record (allegedly) so unpopular opinion. Baby should've been replaced by Disconnect on the tracklist as I feel it sounds more cohesive, and I think it could fit very well on fear. So if that allegation is true, Karma would've had a much better version (I hate you for making that Jack) and Orange Trees would've probably been an outtake, and it should've been that way!

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

11 hours ago, AlexIl said:

They really aren't but there's no topping the first 3 records and L+F was a massive disappointment coming from her, just from a production & visual standpoint; We're used to high-concept electropop/pop-rock bangers with artsy referential visuals, so it was strange to see her adopt a new vibe that felt like it could belong to anybody in pop that year.

Jack had way too much of an effect on her tbh. Look at the photoshoot and a lot of the outtakes have ADIAML-esque poses, I think she was over LF before she even released it tbh, especially with CIAW being produced in 2018

Spoiler

Also if you listen to a lot of the tracks, they reference him, in more negative ways than positive.

Woah, you guys actually dislike "Ancient Dreams..."? I think it's a fun record. Way better than the previous one. Slightly more in tune with her first albums with a modern twist imho.

"Love + Fear" felt like a Spotify playlist of different artists put together. "Orange Trees" is such a terrible song :toofloppy:

ADIAML was better than L+F but it’s not a good album tbh. It has its highs but overall it was lack luster and needed more songs with punch. Also some of the lyrics on this album are even worse than the ones on L+F. Songs like Purge the Poison and New America have some of the most out of touch surface level activism type lyrics I’ve ever heard. The tracklist order with the more upbeat songs at the start and all the other songs being slower also makes for an unpleasant listen tbh. A lot of the slower songs on this album are just plain boring, and the only good upbeat songs on this album are the title track and Venus Fly Trap. I actually really love the title track, the best song she’s released since the name change. Venus Fly Trap was a cute moment. The deluxe was disappointing but I did like Pink Convertible, even though that song also has some corny lyrics. Those 3 songs are the only songs off this album I still find myself listening to tbh. The rest is just not that great, and not at all up to par with her pre L+F stuff. I hope her next album’s better but if it’s not then I don’t think there’s any point in still keeping up with her for me.

qfrWuBl.png

38 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

Also some of the lyrics on this album are even worse than the ones on L+F. Songs like Purge the Poison and New America have some of the most out of touch surface level activism type lyrics I’ve ever heard. 

i’ll say this till i die tbh 

People’s argument about these two are always “She’s always been somewhat political with her lyrics!” and like yeah, that’s not what bothers me, it’s just the way she’s been doing it recently.

For example, Sex Yeah on an album about love, sex, and relationships made sense. She’s talking about how different finding your way/Being in relationships could be if things were different in the world

Savages on Froot makes sense too, on an album about coming to terms with yourself and finding peace, she’s trying to understand what makes people do terrible things, and that really, we can all be terrible people sometimes. 

But if you look at songs like purge the poison or new america… it’s like, what’s the point Besides making a few rhymes with current political buzzwords?

I will say though, Mans World stands out to me. I feel like it could very well fit on EH or Froot (maybe with slightly different production) and I wouldn’t bat an eye. It actually feels like it has meaning 

On 1/18/2023 at 10:19 AM, honeymoonwhore said:

I listened to TFJ for the first time as a whole and damn that was crazy. Mowgli's road, girls, hermit the frog, the outsider and obsessions outsold, they're so introspective yet sarcastic, how did she do it ??

Saw Hermit the Frog live in October. Such a masterpiece !

tumblr_m5jbh7zJNg1qcb3veo1_500.gif

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

6 hours ago, americangothic said:

Woah, you guys actually dislike "Ancient Dreams..."? I think it's a fun record. Way better than the previous one. Slightly more in tune with her first albums with a modern twist imho.

"Love + Fear" felt like a Spotify playlist of different artists put together. "Orange Trees" is such a terrible song :toofloppy:

concept demo is worse

OOOOO-YEAH YEAH YEAAAAHHHH

There's literally yeah backing vocals but they're the same volume as the leads, so it sounds even worse

14 minutes ago, 132 said:

concept demo is worse

OOOOO-YEAH YEAH YEAAAAHHHH

There's literally yeah backing vocals but they're the same volume as the leads, so it sounds even worse

sex yeah but orang trees:flutter:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land is an amazing album it’s just that the track list isn’t what it should be & does it a huge disservice & makes it a very hard listen. Plus it should be longer. Imo the album should flow like this.

1. Pandora’s Box (imo it gives a really good idea for both sounds on the album & is better as an opener that way) 

2. Man’s World 

3. Cause I’m A Woman 

4. Venus Fly Trap

5. Flowers 

6. Highly Emotional People 

7. Pink Convertible 

8. Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land 

9. Happy Loner 

10. Free Woman 

11. I Love You But I Love Me More

12. Purge The Poison 

13. Goodbye 

New America should be scrapped & deleted from existence. 

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

10 hours ago, BeautifulAnywhere said:

New America should be scrapped & deleted from existence. 

i was with you until i read this :crossed:

also Pandora's Box is a terrible opener. its a snozefest as an opener.

1 hour ago, The Siren said:

i was with you until i read this :crossed:

also Pandora's Box is a terrible opener. its a snozefest as an opener.

i’m gonna go in the middle and agree somewhat with both of you and say BOTH songs should be deleted from existence :kiss3::sass:

so sorry but pandora’s box is so boring i think i’ve played it maybe thrice at MOST

and new america just sucks 

i am going to technically agree with all of you and say the entire album should've never existed and marina should've just got her psychology degree and became a psychologist instead of ruining her legacy with L+F and the other one. i love her but its like her knowing more about the human mind made her lose hers and now she cannot make music anymore

WARNING I AM EXAGGERATING PLEASE DONT YELL AT ME IM :)