Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

I mean celebrities tend not to have the most engaging personalities when it comes to long standing friendships for various reasons…tbh I never got the Larina comparisons, though her celebrity friendships fizzled with charli and Lana quickly it’s just the business- Marina makes some form of pop rock/new wave or straight up pop and Lana is too distinct to really classify borrowing from soul, psych, rock, orchestral, hip hop, folk etc they are very different aside from the image in Electra Heart.

Marina, please spend your millionairess fortune and buy your diamonds back. The day you got rid of them was the day that your music became average af compared to the original flawless trilogy.

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

I think it'd be cool if Marina went as far as possible down the retro scifi/outer-space vibe of ADIAML (song) and FROOT (song) for a whole album, that's my favorite little corner of her discography :wub: Marina & the Aliens

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

This song is very foreboding, she really went under the sheets with all the boys before, like all the boys before, like all the boys boys boys

4 hours ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

I think she needs to beg whoever worked on electra heart to get back into the studio and do a pt 2 like how else can she save her career :toofunny: im with u @The Siren

Q.T. Cutie persona album when? :nails:

UtrMWJM.jpg

~Mon amour,  je sais que tu m'aimes aussi ~

RMYnH3f_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I'm sure Marina's heart is in the right place but um… with all her "activism" lyrics you would think she'd know not to glamourise PETA. 694415282617450546.gif

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

Ugh I just really really don't like the poem. I don't understand the line breaks, they just feel really jarring. And I feel like theres no sense of cohesiveness, like its just a bunch of different ideas and images put together.

And btw I'm not the elitist type who gets mad at celebrities for doing poetry. I generally really liked Lana's. But this is just.. ugh.. :oopna2:

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

I feel awful for criticizing her because I love this woman, and it takes guts to write poetry and to share it with the world, but holy shit, that thing is horrendous. :eek: I felt so embarrassed reading it.

It really made me think of the poems I used to write when I was an edgy teen. 
No need to say I stopped poetry and shifted to only writing stories. 

English isn't my mother tongue but I can tell it's incredibly bad style-wise. 
It looks like she used every tools in the poetry box to make it a poem; on top of my head, the overused hunger metaphor she hammers throughout (the more you overdo it, the less it becomes powerful and/or significant), the artificial, useless repetitions (approve/try/grind/ and then the i am free), those stacked words (?? I only get it if it's for the rhythm, or perhaps to highlight them, but I'm not sure it's effective). 

It's like she felt the need to use every figure of speech she knows so it looks like poetry. Real beginner error: it ends up being superficial and try-hard. It's not poetry but fancy words thrown on the paper just for the sake of it. It lacks subtelty and authenticity, which poetry should have. 

And if you need to disguise your words to make sure people get what the fuck you're doing, you're doing really bad.

I didn't plan on ranting that much because of a harmless poem but here I am. :icant: Good for her if she's proud of her work and good for the stans to have new content.

What makes me disappointed and embarrassed, though, is the fact that woman used to be such a GOOD songwriter. She used to express things so simply and beautifully. You're supposed to get better at your craft with time, not the opposite. Seriously, what happened? 

10 minutes ago, Mash Tragic said:

I feel awful for criticizing her because I love this woman, and it takes guts to write poetry and to share it with the world, but holy shit, that thing is horrendous. :eek: I felt so embarrassed reading it.

It really made me think of the poems I used to write when I was an edgy teen. 
No need to say I stopped poetry and shifted to only writing stories. 

English isn't my mother tongue but I can tell it's incredibly bad style-wise. 
It looks like she used every tools in the poetry box to make it a poem; on top of my head, the overused hunger metaphor she hammers throughout (the more you overdo it, the less it becomes powerful and/or significant), the artificial, useless repetitions (approve/try/grind/ and then the i am free), those stacked words (?? I only get it if it's for the rhythm, or perhaps to highlight them, but I'm not sure it's effective). 

It's like she felt the need to use every figure of speech she knows so it looks like poetry. Real beginner error: it ends up being superficial and try-hard. It's not poetry but fancy words thrown on the paper just for the sake of it. It lacks subtelty and authenticity, which poetry should have. 

And if you need to disguise your words to make sure people get what the fuck you're doing, you're doing really bad.

I didn't plan on ranting that much because of a harmless poem but here I am. :icant: Good for her if she's proud of her work and good for the stans to have new content.

What makes me disappointed and embarrassed, though, is the fact that woman used to be such a GOOD songwriter. She used to express things so simply and beautifully. You're supposed to get better at your craft with time, not the opposite. Seriously, what happened? 

She dropped the diamonds, that's what happened :crying2: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

there's no saving her pen now at this rate the minute her book is out it's going to get criticized so hard 'cause i swear it's gabbie hana style poetry :deadbanana:

like i'm sorry i love her but this isn't it... how do you go from writing something like "I'm a Ruin" ON YOUR OWN to this pile of shit? it's just disappointing and those idiots that are gonna eat up everything are just fucking idiots. and this style of poetry doesn't only make wanna throw out my stan card, it's very fucking bad for the poetry community... 

what's most annoying about her poetry is that it could have been a genuinely insightful marinabook post, but she wants to vague post. what does she mean "men owned my choruses and my verses" does she not own her masters? do we need to crowdfund Electra Heart (Marina's Version)? will we finally get Froot (10 Minute Version)? or is this just about having a male boss?

if it's about her not having production credits on TFJ then why isn't she upset she didn't get production credits on purge the poison? is it because she made such a big deal about a 'woman's album' then had a man produce 7/10 tracks and felt the need to change that narrative? or is it about having men on her writing credits for EH (specifically htbah, like, come on... it did not take that many people to write that song) but then why didn't she give david kosten credit for the "back off motherfuckers" line on cpmd? because it didn't fit the narrative of writing it all herself? I'm not saying she doesn't have a right to be mad about her lack of production credits on TFJ or men muscling in on her work on EH, but why not shed some light and help other artists out?

it would be great if she made a post about her decision to leave atlantic, wbk they've fucked over a lot of artists and she's probably signed an NDA or something but what's HER reason for leaving? why did she leave instead of negotiate her contract? being independent is a huge risk, I'd love to know why. she could also help her younger fans (a lot seem to want to be artists themselves) spot red flags when a label is trying to scout them,* especially in this current age where getting millions of views on social media and a pretty face can land you a recording contract without much actual talent at all. these labels want naive teenagers/young adults to trap into a contract. I'm not suggesting Marina could 'shake up the industry' but even if she helped 1 or 2 people wouldn't that be worth it? save them from the things she went through? having to personally pay for the 1st froot photoshoot and mastering herself?

I feel like she genuinely doesn't know what to do after she 'achieved everything she wanted with froot' (her words). I was hoping her new work would be better, L+F was pushed out before she was ready (even if she insists it wasn't) and ADIAML was obviously just pushed out as quickly as possible to get out of her contract, but if these poems are anything to go by I am not looking hopeful which is a real shame :(

*edit: we all know about her getting signed, that there were loads of labels after her and she knew only 2 were serious, it would be such great insight if she ever explained this, she did all the interviews HERSELF in her early 20s!!! obviously a lot has changed since 2008, but most of the 'right questions' to ask will likely still be the same

Edited by AllForYou

I've been revisiting TFJ lately and comparing it to L+F, ADIAML or the poem...damn ma :xgiggle:

it starts with one snowball

then you watch the dominos fall

oh my gawd i think its karma

katy perry ass lyrics :sadcore4: even though its a bop