Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

6 minutes ago, MrFameKills said:

I've been revisiting TFJ lately and comparing it to L+F, ADIAML or the poem...damn ma :xgiggle:

it starts with one snowball

then you watch the dominos fall

oh my gawd i think its karma

katy perry ass lyrics :sadcore4: even though its a bop

right, I started listening to her discography besides Froot and I am obsessed with TFJ at the moment... like, Shampain alone eats her last 2 albums. wtf 

Lay dagger dead inside a lonely bed
Trying to hide the hole inside my head
Watching the stars slide down to reach the end
Sleep is not my friend

:trisha::trisha::trisha:

whatever happened to girl that wrooooteee

The family jewels

I don't like to be so harshly critical of modern MARINA; yeah her lyrics are simpler but she still has some bangers. I feel like "Soft to Be Strong" would have fit nicely on FROOT, the title track of ADIAML is a well-produced career highlight and so is "End of the Earth" :flutter: shoutouts to "Venus Fly Trap" and "Handmade Heaven"

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

9 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

RMYnH3f_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I'm sure Marina's heart is in the right place but um… with all her "activism" lyrics you would think she'd know not to glamourise PETA. 694415282617450546.gif

On another note, I Dont expect coherence from celebrities nowadays. Hollywood really infected her brain with that feminist BS… Its the easy way to appear socially concerned, play by the rules of whatever is popular at the time (nowadays extreme liberal thinking with idiotic reasoning) and dont question anything. Im not from the Right wing by any means but this is getting out of hand.

Stop with the anger speeches towards men or women who think different. Thats what I love about Lana, she doesnt care about the general opinion, more so about her own believes! And she is not afraid to speak out… even if she gets cancelled. Media loves to manipulate her words to fit their agenda… Marina In the other hand… feels like a sellout. Not everything has to be black or White, thats narrow thinking at its finest

SNS I said what I said 

1 hour ago, Anonymcomenter said:

On another note, I Dont expect coherence from celebrities nowadays. Hollywood really infected her brain with that feminist BS… Its the easy way to appear socially concerned, play by the rules of whatever is popular at the time (nowadays extreme liberal thinking with idiotic reasoning) and dont question anything. Im not from the Right wing by any means but this is getting out of hand.

Stop with the anger speeches towards men or women who think different. Thats what I love about Lana, she doesnt care about the general opinion, more so about her own believes! And she is not afraid to speak out… even if she gets cancelled. Media loves to manipulate her words to fit their agenda… Marina In the other hand… feels like a sellout. Not everything has to be black or White, thats narrow thinking at its finest

SNS I said what I said 

No I agree. Not to get too far off topic but feminism was never supposed to be about hating men and I don't think it's particularly helpful to the (original) cause when it veers in that direction.

Of course the patriarchy is something we should aspire to dismantle, and it's okay to point out ways in which it exists and how women are disadvantaged by it (and vice versa), but that's different to what she's expressing, imo.

ETA: Obviously she has some anger, and it's okay to express that - but I want to hear her go deeper than just "men own this" and "men did that" over and over. I am absolutely sure that she, like every other woman in music, has been screwed over by powerful men in record companies, etc - and as someone a few posts up said, where are the details

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

On 2/3/2023 at 7:05 AM, Psychedelic Pussy said:

I think she needs to beg whoever worked on electra heart to get back into the studio and do a pt 2 like how else can she save her career

Greg, Rick, Luke, Liam and herself :deadbanana:

original.gif

13 hours ago, AllForYou said:

*edit: we all know about her getting signed, that there were loads of labels after her and she knew only 2 were serious, it would be such great insight if she ever explained this, she did all the interviews HERSELF in her early 20s!!! obviously a lot has changed since 2008, but most of the 'right questions' to ask will likely still be the same

I always love Marina's Q&A live streams and always feel like she enjoys talking about the behind the scenes of a record and the entire process. And since she seems to be so angry about something I'd love her to do one of these Q&As about her artistic development since Froot. You're right, she could give us so much insight into the music industry but in a straightforward way. And then getting it out of her system and finally being able to write about something else. 

In general I feel like Marina has no idea what to write about anymore. When she was younger she was quite troubled and had a lot of stuff to tell but nowadays she's doing better (which is great!) but it's no lie that artists are at their best when there's something going on in their lives. If you're completely content with your life - what're you going to write about? Either about private stuff that's incredibly irrelevant to other people like barefeet chicken or about the problems of the whole wide world. 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

13 hours ago, AllForYou said:

*edit: we all know about her getting signed, that there were loads of labels after her and she knew only 2 were serious, it would be such great insight if she ever explained this

Sorry to break it to y'all but I remember her saying somewhere that it was a lie and there were "obviously" no labels chasing her so Derek Davies who discovered her seems not to have had competition, truth be told her too cool to be indie too wise to be pop persona was very well-played.

original.gif

15 minutes ago, BlueINK said:

I always love Marina's Q&A live streams and always feel like she enjoys talking about the behind the scenes of a record and the entire process. And since she seems to be so angry about something I'd love her to do one of these Q&As about her artistic development since Froot. You're right, she could give us so much insight into the music industry but in a straightforward way. And then getting it out of her system and finally being able to write about something else. 

In general I feel like Marina has no idea what to write about anymore. When she was younger she was quite troubled and had a lot of stuff to tell but nowadays she's doing better (which is great!) but it's no lie that artists are at their best when there's something going on in their lives. If you're completely content with your life - what're you going to write about? Either about private stuff that's incredibly irrelevant to other people like barefeet chicken or about the problems of the whole wide world. 

I agree with you, she doesnt seem inspired anymore… a shame, but Im happy for her doing well :agree:

6 minutes ago, 111 said:

not me coming into this thread to read marinara needs dr. rape in 2023, the final nail in her career coffin

And also the antithesis of everything feminist she has said in the past decade

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

39 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Sorry to break it to y'all but I remember her saying somewhere that it was a lie and there were "obviously" no labels chasing her so Derek Davies who discovered her seems not to have had competition, truth be told her too cool to be indie too wise to be pop persona was very well-played.

yes I know, sorry I think I just explained that badly, I was referring to this quote:

'No, there was no bidding war. 679 where the only people to have the guts to offer a contract. Everyone else just wanted to look like they were about to offer. I met over 14 labels and only really took 2 seriously. I think everyone saw me as a project that had a lot of potential but also as someone very risky: I looked like a wild card to them. I had no manager, was doing all the meetings alone, was extremely confident and driven and knew exactly what i wanted. That scares some people.'

I suppose that explains the situation well enough but it would be nice to know what questions she asked them all the same, what were her terms that only one would actually offer a contract? (also, didn't she date Derek? I suppose she doesn't want to admit she picked a label because of that if it is true:rip:) I just want her to use all her knowledge for something good, instead of this weird "Twitter activism" it's like she wants to be an activist and have influence but she doesn't want any negative attention

Okay.

I already said that I wasn’t following her anymore, that I didn’t Iike her new artistic direction… some of you already mentioned how bland, Hollywood-corrupted and superficial her way of thinking/activism is, and how can anyone disagree on that? And let’s not even get started on her recent music career pls. 

I certainly don’t wanna sound like a hater (I realized that I don’t have kind words for her anymore), though I must confess… she’s became like a car wreck for me… it’s horrible and you don’t wanna see it, but at the same time you can’t take your eyes off of it. 

This “poem”… my God. WTF. What in the actual fuck. It makes no sense. At all. It’s bad style, it sounds unauthentic and dull. There’s no metric, rule or style. It’s literally a bunch of random words. You can feel she thinks she is the shit and she did something there, even though it’s just… mere shit. Of course poetry is personal, but everything is. Does that mean that we should make everything public? Or that everyone is/can be a poet? And you are telling me that there are people actually willing to spend money on this? JAPANESE TOILET BOWLS NOTHING. I’m gonna have nightmares about this tonight. 

I’m sorry, it’s just that… I can’t understand how one can be cringer and cringer every day. 

I also don’t wanna trace comparisons but… since some of you mentioned many times how they are somehow “similar”… take her and Lana, for example. Oh my God. They could be the most forward example of success/failure, genuine/corrupted, artistic/tacky. 

I’m harsh, I know. But girl. Stop. Just stop. Do yourself a favor and send that CV to McDonald (serving only female customers, of course).

Just.

Stop. 

Please. 

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, 5Rick said:

Okay.

I already said that I wasn’t following her anymore, that I didn’t Ike her new artistic direction… some of you already mentioned how bland, Hollywood-corrupted and superficial her way of thinking/activism is, and how can anyone disagree on that? And let’s not even get started on her recent music career pls. 

I certainly don’t wanna sound like a hater (I realized that I don’t have kind words for her anymore), though I must confess… she’s became like a car wreck for me… it’s horrible and you don’t wanna see it, but at the same time you can’t take your eyes off of it. 

This “poem”… my God. WTF. What in the actual fuck. It makes no sense. At all. It’s bad style, it sounds unauthentic and dull. There’s no metric, rule or style. It’s literally a bunch of random words. You can feel she thinks she is the shit and she did something there, even though it’s just… mere shit. Of course poetry is personal, but everything is. Does that mean that we should make everything public? Or that everyone is/can be a poet? And you are telling me that there are people actually willing to spend money on this? JAPANESE TOILET BOWLS NOTHING. I’m gonna have nightmares about this tonight. 

I’m sorry, it’s just that… I can’t understand how one can be cringer and cringer every day. 

I also don’t wanna trace comparisons but… since some of you mentioned many times how they are somehow “similar”… take her and Lana, for example. Oh my God. They could be the most forward example of success/failure, genuine/corrupted, artistic/tacky. 

I’m harsh, I know. But girl. Stop. Just stop. Do yourself a favor and send that CV to McDonald (serving only female customers, of course).

Just.

Stop. 

Please. 

giphy.gif

Im laughing so hard with your rant!! I cant :lmao:

but you do have a point, seems most of us gravitare more towards her Marina And the Diamonds stuff…

that Baby sht with Clean Bandit really was the beginning of the end for her. Like a Illuminati initiation BS :oic: everything that made her unique is gone now 

3 hours ago, BlueINK said:

yes!! I think she should just pivot to a taylor swift folklore situation, currently she seems to write well when it's not from her perspective, I do like purge the poison apart from the verses (her perspective), ADIAML is a bop. even if she doesn't want to do greek gods, aurora did this brilliantly, she could do welsh mythology? or she could just pick an era/decade and go to town lol. (I'm not suggesting she goes full EH and dresses up either, apart from MVs perhaps, she said that was tiring which I totally get) edit: in the L+F era she said she wanted to do a full album soundtrack, EOTE is one of the best on L+F possibly for the reason she wrote it for a film, why not do an album for a fake film? the MVs could tell some of the story and people could just speculate (like people do with Electra Heart, 11 years later!!!) and entertain themselves.

I think part of it is also she sold herself (in the MATD era) as an artist that delivered a 'package', then with her losing motivation after FROOT and possibly being pressured into releasing L+F earlier than she was ready we got 0 visuals & 0 (meaningful) fan interaction; (i.e she didn't tell us handmade heaven was delayed, we only found out because of an autograph chaser filming her after an interview. she posted about a live Q&A on instagram, had technical difficulties but didn't tell us it was cancelled so people were waiting up & then she deleted that tweet and deleted something irrelevant later.) imo if she had given us the original handmade heaven artwork visuals, and interacted with fans, people would be EATING it up and it would have taken a lot longer for people to realise it wasn't that great. honestly she should have just done something similar with FROOT, post some fanpacks and let the fandom entertain itself. or even better, stems, seeing as most of them have leaked now anyway.

I get she doesn't like social media, but she went from interacting a lot, via her blog, then tumblr, to nothing, and I totally get we're not entitled to her time (and she's 37 now) but it's not any wonder why her fans seem a bit 'spurned' lol

53 minutes ago, Furor Poeticus said:

Her post-Diamonds flop era needs to be studied 

I feel like there's honestly not much to say. 
She just became what she truly despised in the past. As much as she likes to think she's too cool/different for the pop scene, she alwas has been in search of approval from people and critics. Hence the politically correct/superficially woke/universal lyrics she's writing right now. 

I don't necessarily think she doesn't know what to write about anymore or lacks challenges in her life to keep her art interesting. It's mainly she somehow developped the idea that people can't relate to her own experiences and that she NEEDS to be universal. Thing is, she's so detached it becomes bland, impersonal and, ironically, unrelatable. 

I'm not sure if it makes sense, but for me, the more the story is personal and detailed, the more I'm able to relate to it, even though I didn't experience 100% of the events. It's like I'm able to find myself and a universal truth in the most personal stories, while feeling completely left behind by her attempted universal lyrics. The fact her commentary is so surface-level doesn't help. We get it, patriarchy made women's lives hell. So? How did it impact you? How do you fight it in your daily life? 

Spoiler

Side note but the whole girl boss shit also rubs me the wrong way. Like, yeah, you SHOULDN'T have to conform, but some people have to to survive. Those comments are so freaking Western-centric. She might be a woman and facing common misogyny every day, she's still shielded and privileged to live in a country that allows her to be herself and a 37-year-old single millionairess. You get what I mean now by the universal stuff that becomes unrelatable? 

Anyway, I believe she sought out approval so hard she lost herself (and some of her fans along the way). It's already been discussed by many recently, but it truly weakened her whole art to try and fail to please everyone. 

It seems so sinful…  :trisha: 

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥