Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Just now, evalionisameme said:

I thought the name change was inane-why bother? Just go by Marina diamandis if you don’t want to be confused as a band.

she said she felt like she had outgrown it, which I can understand she was 18 or 20ish when she created it and was 33 when she dropped it, but with 'marina diamandis' I don't think you have to take a massive leap to realise 'marina and the diamonds' and 'marina diamandis' are the same thing, so now anyone that has to introduce her would have to still say 'marina, previously marina and the diamonds' which makes her sound like she was in a band even more:toofunny:

another theory was that 'marina' fits better on artwork, which I sort of understand, trying to fit 'marina and the diamonds' and 'ancient dreams in a modern land' would be a bit of a nightmare

Honestly bad move for her career to change her name, but if she really wanted to change it she should've gone with Marina Diamandis, not just MARINA. like girl-

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

I tbh will never understand why her management let her change her stage name to just MARINA… like girl… it’s not a super unique name 😭 there are gonna be other artists named marina..

the amount of times random musicians songs have appeared on her artist pages is insane 

also? sounds about as bland as her music became so maybe it fits idk, but at least matd or Marina Diamandis have a little spice to em 

Just now, Venice Peach said:

Specially since Marina Diamandis is an insanely beautiful name and it's not even a stage name... it's real :krylie:

RIGHT like she was blessed with such a pretty name and she’s just not gonna use it?!?

like a month ago someone posted an old yearbook picture of dua lipa and all the comments were like That’s her real name?! That’s not just a stage name?! 

like mamas if you got a good, unique, pretty name - USE IT!!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, cranekiss said:

i really hope she eventually goes back to using MATD.... becoming just MARINA was the worst career choice ever 

I don't think she ever would, I don't think she should either it would be awkward and messy, her leaving her label is a great chance to swap to Marina Diamandis though:flutter:

9 hours ago, AllForYou said:

I didn’t say it was a slur, I’m from the UK I know it’s not a slur, I called it a code word, because people say stuff like ‘oh he’s y’know a bit… camp’ when they mean an effeminate gay man, maybe it’s regional. I didn’t know that mostly gay clientele went there so thank you for the context /gen

she went to the hotel after the song was dropped that’s why I mentioned it. 

nn literally who even says that

+ also she's dumb idk why she went to the hotel after the song

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

17 minutes ago, HEARTCORE said:

nn literally who even says that

+ also she's dumb idk why she went to the hotel after the song

it's on urban dictionary, ('Effeminate way of being Gay. One can be camp without being gay. Floppy wrists. Think Elton John and Jack from Will & Grace'), in my experience it's used by people middle aged and older, but marina can act 'old fashioned' at times, she used the T-slur on her blog in 2011 to refer to a gay bar:rip:

I'm glad camp is coming back to it's actual roots and we can all look it in the eye

7 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

it's on urban dictionary, ('Effeminate way of being Gay. One can be camp without being gay. Floppy wrists. Think Elton John and Jack from Will & Grace'), in my experience it's used by people middle aged and older, but marina can act 'old fashioned' at times, she used the T-slur on her blog in 2011 to refer to a gay bar:rip:

I'm glad camp is coming back to it's actual roots and we can all look it in the eye

I've literally never heard of anyone using it as a code word, its gotta be a regional thing

+ yeah she's dumb lol

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

2 minutes ago, 132 said:

i wouldn't be surprised if her label suggested the name change, especially with a very commercial sounding record.

I think this was just marina's bad decision, although her label have done some problematic things, I think marina is also to blame for her weird career choices.

MARINA makes her much harder in to find in search results, if she had a unique name like Beyonce or Adele then it would be fine but 'marina' is also a word. it also means her website is marinaofficial.co.uk, if you go to marinaofficial.com it's a different artist called marina:rip: I cannot see why a label would suggest 'MARINA' over 'Marina Diamandis'

16 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

I think this was just marina's bad decision, although her label have done some problematic things, I think marina is also to blame for her weird career choices.

MARINA makes her much harder in to find in search results, if she had a unique name like Beyonce or Adele then it would be fine but 'marina' is also a word. it also means her website is marinaofficial.co.uk, if you go to marinaofficial.com it's a different artist called marina:rip: I cannot see why a label would suggest 'MARINA' over 'Marina Diamandis'

I agree with you, sometimes artists are the ones to blame for their… CHOICES lets say… :flop:

9 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

No comment- In before she goes to a zoo 

The way my vegan ass retweeted :creepna3:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

12 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

I agree with you, sometimes artists are the ones to blame for their… CHOICES lets say… :flop:

yeah I've seen a few people that seem to think that marina leaving atlantic will magically get 'old marina' back but :awkney2: marina has been messy her whole life, we've just ignored it

I do think her next albums will be better though, L+F was pushed out before she was ready like we've discussed and ADIAML was likely pushed out asap to get out of her contract, so just having that pressure off her will be better.

maybe she can just release standalone songs on her own schedule, ADIAML has some good songs but as an album it's weird af thematically, half political, half about jack, then VFT and the title track just two bops doing their own thing

2 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

yeah I've seen a few people that seem to think that marina leaving atlantic will magically get 'old marina' back but :awkney2: marina has been messy her whole life, we've just ignored it

I do think her next albums will be better though, L+F was pushed out before she was ready like we've discussed and ADIAML was likely pushed out asap to get out of her contract, so just having that pressure off her will be better.

maybe she can just release standalone songs on her own schedule, ADIAML has some good songs but as an album it's weird af thematically, half political, half about jack, then VFT and the title track just two bops doing their own thing

If Its anything like Venus Fly Trap im in, for me the best of the bunch

1. The family Jewels/ Electra Heart- I cannot decide because both of them are great pieces of work but have weaknesses the other doesn’t- 

Jewels is an all around good paced album but it’s a safe one especially for the time when others like Lily Allen were doing a similar thing lyrically.

The album has most of her iconic songs like Hollywood, shampain, I’m not a robot-it’s definitely a classic.

Electra heart is her best album to me overall writing wise-it’s full of wit, humour, digs deeper into societal issues without being patronising and is simple so the message isn’t too far fetched. 

But it does slog at times in the middle section.

2. Ancient Dreams 

3. Froot 

4 Love + Fear