Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

6 hours ago, AllForYou said:

coupled with 'yeah you might as well accept it':awkney2: I get she meant something along the lines of 'accept your worst days are over, and enjoy your life (instead of waiting for the worst to happen again)' but the first time I heard that line:rip: it's not a bad message at it's heart, it's just written badly

I just find it hard to believe that all those talented songwriters sat there in that session and were like 'yes this can't be misconstrued whatsoever'

I remember playing Enjoy Your Life for my bestie when the album dropped & she goes “accept it!?” in the most horrified voice:thumb3:

Superstar, Human, Life is Strange, & About Love (not an album track- I know) are really the only tracks I despise from the record. There’s tons of sloppy writing scattered throughout the other songs too, but I feel like ADIAML has way worse lyrics in comparison. “You say you’ll ch-change, you say you’ll transfooorrrrm” “the food don’t taste like it’s meant to doooo”, “mystical bitches makin our own sisterhood”, “Like an angel gone to hell, cast the moon under our spell”, & the entire second verse of “Man’s World”… whew. 

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

45 minutes ago, eyelovelefteye said:

I remember playing Enjoy Your Life for my bestie when the album drops & she goes “accept it!?” in the most horrified voice:thumb3:

Superstar, Human, Life is Strange, & About Love (not an album track- I know) are really the only tracks I despise from the record. There’s tons of sloppy writing scattered throughout the other songs too, but I feel like ADIAML has way worse lyrics in comparison. “You say you’ll ch-change, you say you’ll transfooorrrrm” “the food don’t taste like it’s meant to doooo”, “mystical bitches makin our own sisterhood”, “Like an angel gone to hell, cast the moon under our spell”, & the entire second verse of “Man’s World”… whew. 

'fucked with the food chain fucked with the farming too' girl what:rip: I get the sentiment but that isn't a sentence:toofunny:

I just hope her lyricism goes back to the great days of Marina and the Diamonds.

In production terms I have no big issues (yeah some are bland, mostly in L+F) but she needs a second, third and fourth opinion on the lyrics (not the message, just the way the message is being worded out).

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

5 hours ago, AllForYou said:

she's been very public about finding co-writing hard, it must be even more difficult to co-write with artist then wait anxiously on whether or not a load of people say their verses are better or whatever

Better than waiting anxiously to drop an entire album with lyrics that are aging like stale milk? :oop2:

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

2 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

I just hope her lyricism goes back to the great days of Marina and the Diamonds.

In production terms I have no big issues (yeah some are bland, mostly in L+F) but she needs a second, third and fourth opinion on the lyrics (not the message, just the way the message is being worded out).

Preach 

Also, I wonder if she ever checks out this forums or even gives her fans feedback a chance… cause from L+F to ADML It has been a little bit of improvement (at least sonically) but lyrically she stays a mess 

7 hours ago, AllForYou said:

coupled with 'yeah you might as well accept it':awkney2: I get she meant something along the lines of 'accept your worst days are over, and enjoy your life (instead of waiting for the worst to happen again)' but the first time I heard that line:rip: it's not a bad message at it's heart, it's just written badly

I just find it hard to believe that all those talented songwriters sat there in that session and were like 'yes this can't be misconstrued whatsoever'

yes this song is so badly written. i imagine some potential in that alternative title tho with better lyrics. most ideas in l+f are practically ill-executed, esp. to be human. not that new america is any better... unfortunately

@Anonymcomenter nah, she doesn't do it, she's admitted to not even reading professional reviews anymore because she cares about her mental health. quite a shame bc ancient dreams in a modern land had nice ones

original.gif

7 hours ago, AllForYou said:

'fucked with the food chain fucked with the farming too' girl what:rip: I get the sentiment but that isn't a sentence:toofunny:

This line always makes me think of that meme of that guy sucking corn edited to New America :toofloppy:

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

13 hours ago, AllForYou said:

5 hours ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

This line always makes me think of that meme of that guy sucking corn edited to New America :toofloppy:

I fucking hate that song, so cringe worthy. 

She needs to drop the whole political gimmick. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

what I hate about new america is ‘stars are shining for you’ is a cute lyric and I wish she based the song about that 

alternatively, I also think (taken out of context): ‘Everything that made you great only made you bad’ / ‘I know that you had big dreams, that you had big plans’ / ‘You can't bury the truth, It's time to pay your dues’ / You've been in pain for a while. You can't hide your secrets, we can see’

could have been turned into a different song, maybe about some mythological figure, a well meaning hero that fucked up:flutter: y’know an ancient dream in a modern land…

in alternative universe electra heart was topping all international charts and critics praised it so marina did not have a nervous breakdown, became an international alt pop star, and never gave up on her artistry. i said what i said

original.gif

46 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

in alternative universe electra heart was topping all international charts and critics praised it so marina did not have a nervous breakdown, became an international alt pop star, and never gave up on her artistry. i said what i said

I honestly wonder what that would have looked like for marina, I think it would have come with a different set of troubles (like feeling she had to be another person to be appreciated, even more people wanting electra heart 2.0). it’s so annoying that electra heart is so overlooked (publicly) for it’s cultural impact, even now. 

also iirc part of her breakdown was that two of her family members (one being her great-grandmother, who sung on fear and loathing) died and her dad got sick, and she was stuck on tour. I can’t remember if that’s entirely accurate though. it must be so traumatic to not only be stuck halfway across the world and having to deal with that by yourself, but to have to perform almost every night and risk letting down thousands of people and risk being in debt:(