Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

3 hours ago, ultrabanisters said:

thinking about how marina threw lana under the bus to save herself during the QFTC period yet marina ended up flopping because she decided to go fake woke

ย 

its such a shame i used to adore marina so much but the quality of her work just went to shitย :bebe:

Did she throw her under the bus though, I will slate her where needed e.g. her cowardly firing of a mom on maternity leave but I think they just drifted and were on and offย 

Both of them donโ€™t seem easy to form lasting connections with so I can see them arguing a lot- when they became closer in 2017ย 

3 hours ago, Anonymcomenter said:

they both had almost perfect beginnings (Crybaby and EH)ย to thenย give in to wokeย culture and deliver some of the cringiest lyrics everโ€ฆ they try so hard to be seen as woke and ethereal but fail miserablyย 

ย 

Portals is NOT that great, sorry (it could have been though)โ€ฆย 

I don't know if I can see this take. I don't see Melanie giving into woke culture anywhere (although Portals is barfย so we can handshake there) - I just see her as being emotionally stunted and immature and point blank stupid. She can fall into a hole.

Marina -ย I'll say that Iย think it's very possible that an artist can be moved by a perspective or movement (ex: Me Too), and really want to dive into that space and lend their voice to something, but it comes out as disingenuous or "fake" because they haven't been touched by the depth of the topic the same way, or their current lifestyle insulates them from certain nuances that really make the "heart" of the movement hit home. I think that's what may have happened here?

I don't know if it's really "give in to woke culture", so much as 'Hey, I'm a female artist and these topics have affected me as well. I'm engaged enough with the topic to want to pour my thoughts and emotions on the subject into my next body of work and lend my voice and support." Like I don't feel like there were fans or people pointing a gun to her head and saying "GIVE ME A FEMINIST ALBUM NOW" and her going "OKAY OKAY HERE'S MANS WORLD AND PTP OMG OMG PLEASE LET ME SLEEP BESTIES :crai:"

ย 

I just think she needed to put out a last album, the topics were of enough interest and importance to her, it was all relevant conversation in pop culture at that moment, and she has enough skill as an artist to coherently pull it together- she could, so she did. The flub is just that it feels slightly out of touch, but not in a fake woke try hard way, but in a "girl you haven't eaten this dog food in a minute though" way -ย there's not as much "soul" in the material. At least for me.

I'm probably being a bit inconsistent in this opinion if compared to any prior statements I've made on Marina and ADIAML, but I flex and bend over time, so...

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
๐ŸŽถย Art decorates space, but music decorates timeย ๐ŸŽถ

5 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Marina is better, Melanie wants to be on Marina โ€˜s. Their is no debate

Electra Heart was probably an inspiration for Cry Baby, but I don't think Melanie drew much from Marina aside from that... especially not from her more recent output like L+F/ADIAML,ย which most of her own fans on here don't even seem to enjoy.ย 848803008649363456

๐•€ ๐•”๐•๐• ๐•ค๐•– ๐•ž๐•ช ๐•–๐•ช๐•–๐•ค, ๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•Ÿ๐•š๐•˜๐•™๐•ฅ ๐•€ ๐•จ๐•š๐•ค๐•™ ๐•ฅ๐•  ๐•ฃ๐•š๐•ค๐•– ๐•—๐•ฃ๐• ๐•ž ๐•’๐•๐• ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐••๐•ฆ๐•ค๐•ฅ

1 hour ago, evalionisameme said:

Did she throw her under the bus though, I will slate her where needed e.g. her cowardly firing of a mom on maternity leave but I think they just drifted and were on and offย 

Both of them donโ€™t seem easy to form lasting connections with so I can see them arguing a lot- when they became closer in 2017ย 

i mean she unfollowed her when qftc happened so she would have done it sooner if they had argued knowing her

ย 

marina build up a reputation for herself over 2017-20 and i wouldnt put it past her to push lana aside for her own careers sake

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23ย - 10/7/23

11 minutes ago, AtomicMess said:

Marina -ย I'll say that Iย think it's very possible that an artist can be moved by a perspective or movement (ex: Me Too), and really want to dive into that space and lend their voice to something, but it comes out as disingenuous or "fake" because they haven't been touched by the depth of the topic the same way, or their current lifestyle insulates them from certain nuances that really make the "heart" of the movement hit home. I think that's what may have happened here?

agree! I think she really does care but tweeting stuff like 'you have to be mentally ill to be a cop' after hearing about something like george floyd is so tone deaf, especially when she wants to be a mental health advocate too. imo what doesn't help her is she never tweets any charity links (she actually has a charity of her own!!) but she'll make political songs, vs someone like charli who doesn't sing political songs but had a load of lgbt+ links pinned during pride month. it comes across like she wants to profit off the songs but not actually be political, like going to the hotel in man's world after it was released like it was no big deal.

1 hour ago, AtomicMess said:

I don't know if I can see this take. I don't see Melanie giving into woke cultureย 

ย 

I don't know if it's really "give in to woke culture", so much as 'Hey, I'm a female artist and these topics have affected me as well. I'm engaged enough with the topic to want to pour my thoughts and emotions on the subject into my next body of work and lend my voice and support."

ย 

I just think she needed to put out a last album, the topics were of enough interest and importance to her

Melanie covers multiple โ€œwokeโ€ ideas in her songs and thatโ€™s undeniableโ€ฆ like body image, SA, feminism, racism, eating disorders, bullying, etc. Which Iโ€™m not against but sometimes it comes off as forced

ย 

When it comes to Marina, I feel the same way. Nothing wrong pointing out things u think are wrong cause art is for that precisely butโ€ฆ it seems she does it from an angry place. Just like Christina, Ariana, Meghan, Demi or Taylor, talking shit aboutย men constantly on interviewsย and the twitter rantsย about how is to be a female in the industry yet they are the first ones to tear other women downโ€ฆ I donโ€™t know how much of it comes from a victim complex or trying to fit the agenda. For me that doesnโ€™t make them enlightenโ€ฆย more like entitled. They are pretty privileged women with little to no real problemsโ€ฆ (except for Demi)ย by thisย I donโ€™t meanย they havenโ€™t suffered any king of obstacles during their lifetimes,ย but life is just that, and thatโ€™s not exclusively a female thing sorry to break it up.
ย 

There is nothing more unlikeable for me than a rich and famous person complaining about how life is hard instead of being grateful for what they haveย 
ย 

For example, Kesha has made songs about similar topics in her recent albums yet it seems much more genuine and real from her (specially after all she has suffered)โ€ฆ she has made her point and moved on, and Iโ€™m really happy for her! Also Madonna seems very genuine to me,ย she has been givin the same messages since the 80s when this point of view wasnโ€™t even popularโ€ฆ what makes me think she really thinks like that. Her woman of the year is a great feminist speech in my opinionย 

24 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Melanie covers multiple โ€œwokeโ€ ideas in her songs and thatโ€™s undeniableโ€ฆ like body image, SA, feminism, racism, eating disorders, bullying, etc. Which Iโ€™m not against but sometimes it comes off as forced

ย 

When it comes to Marina, I feel the same way. Nothing wrong pointing out things u think are wrong cause art is for that precisely butโ€ฆ it seems she does it from an angry place. Just like Christina, Ariana, Meghan, Demi or Taylor, talking shit aboutย men constantly on interviewsย and the twitter rantsย about how is to be a female in the industry yet they are the first ones to tear other women downโ€ฆ I donโ€™t know how much of it comes from a victim complex or trying to fit the agenda. For me that doesnโ€™t make them enlightenโ€ฆย more like entitled. They are pretty privileged women with little to no real problemsโ€ฆ (except for Demi)ย by thisย I donโ€™t meanย they havenโ€™t suffered any king of obstacles during their lifetimes,ย but life is just that, and thatโ€™s not exclusively a female thing sorry to break it up.
ย 

There is nothing more unlikeable for me than a rich and famous person complaining about how life is hard instead of being grateful for what they haveย 
ย 

For example, Kesha has made songs about similar topics in her recent albums yet it seems much more genuine and real from her (specially after all she has suffered)โ€ฆ she has made her point and moved on, and Iโ€™m really happy for her! Also Madonna seems very genuine to me,ย she has been givin the same messages since the 80s when this point of view wasnโ€™t even popularโ€ฆ what makes me think she really thinks like that. Her woman of the year is a great feminist speech in my opinionย 

I think it's a difference in where it's coming from. Internal reference or external reference/reference by proxy.

ย 

Is it about those topics because you have personally dealt with them and suffered through/from them in a palpable, tangible way that builds into the larger discourse? (Internal/Firsthand - you're putting your experience OUT into the conversation) Or is it about those topics because you belong to a group or class of people that experience these things, and you are pulling down and distilling the conversation even if you haven't suffered to the same degree (external/proxy - pulling the conversation down into your own language because you have proximity).

ย 

I think Marina is a little column A/B depending on the topic, and that's where the fallout is, for me. When it's a "this happens when you're an X, and I'm an X, therefore I can frame and speak on it", versus "this has happened to me, it's my experience, and I'm putting this out there for others" - there's just a difference in how genuine it comes off. For me.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png

On 4/21/2023 at 10:03 PM, 111 said:

she just became a basic LA bitch whoย hangs out with the likes of xylo and lizzy platypus... absolute flops who hasnt made decent music since tumblr was still alive. her whole personality being quirky anti society flower lady... she was never a genius like lana to make the correct pivots in her career or recover her pen after being sucked by the LA vapidness. ancient dreams sonically made up for the mess that came before, but her writing really continues to be cringy and not the maturity expected from a woman of her age. the way she takes such beautiful eastern spiritual concepts and ideas around consciousness and translate them into the most preachy katy perry like cringe lyrics. she really turned into a not so cool aunt who drinks wine all day and talks about her crystals.ย 

ย 

she has also rebelled against stan culture and took herself way too seriously when people were doing those she is poor memes. she has on several occassions voiced how she kinda feels weird about fans and alienated herself from them putting herself apart which is a huge mistake when you already have a small fanbase. she became the joke instead of being in on the joke and that's her fault. just an example, ellie said her new album is her least personal yet and people went crazy making memes about it and spamming her with that quote, she laughed about it and made jokes/tiktoks about it herself and even had a billboard up with that quote. if that was marina she would be so pissed and angry about that, probably saying some shit like she was taken out of context and reply passive aggressively to her fans about it.ย :bye:

it's because she's too far up her own ass to have a sense of humourย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

ย 

On 5/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, AtomicMess said:

I don't know if I can see this take. I don't see Melanie giving into woke culture anywhere (although Portals is barfย so we can handshake there) - I just see her as being emotionally stunted and immature and point blank stupid. She can fall into a hole.

I don't know if it's really "give in to woke culture", so much as 'Hey, I'm a female artist and these topics have affected me as well. I'm engaged enough with the topic to want to pour my thoughts and emotions on the subject into my next body of work and lend my voice and support." Like I don't feel like there were fans or people pointing a gun to her head and saying "GIVE ME A FEMINIST ALBUM NOW" and her going "OKAY OKAY HERE'S MANS WORLD AND PTP OMG OMG PLEASE LET ME SLEEP BESTIES :crai:"

ย 

I just think she needed to put out a last album, the topics were of enough interest and importance to her, it was all relevant conversation in pop culture at that moment, and she has enough skill as an artist to coherently pull it together- she could, so she did. The flub is just that it feels slightly out of touch, but not in a fake woke try hard way, but in a "girl you haven't eaten this dog food in a minute though" way -ย there's not as much "soul" in the material. At least for me.

I'm probably being a bit inconsistent in this opinion if compared to any prior statements I've made on Marina and ADIAML, but I flex and bend over time, so...

ย 

I think that the problem with ADIAML was how she just abandoned the political idea and focused on post heartbreak project merging them into one which neither makes sense nor lets any of them shine bright enough. I wonder if that's also why she didn't actually rewrite anything because PTP is so lyrically messy it hurts. Anyway I hope she'll redeem herself artistically now that she's not only single but also free from a toxic relationship draining her energy...

original.gif

I didnโ€™t expect to click on this thread to see entire college admissionย essaysย written about this ladyย :rip:
ย 

Why donโ€™t we all finally accept that she doesnโ€™t make good music anymore and move on to better things? Thereโ€™s no reason yโ€™all should care this much about her and theย poor career choices sheโ€™s madeย lmaooo

33 minutes ago, CoochieSwirlC said:

I didnโ€™t expect to click on this thread to see entire college admissionย essaysย written about this ladyย :rip:
ย 

Why donโ€™t we all finally accept that she doesnโ€™t make good music anymore and move on to better things? Thereโ€™s no reason yโ€™all should care this much about her and theย poor career choices sheโ€™s madeย lmaooo

sunkย cost fallacy:true:

4 hours ago, CoochieSwirlC said:

ย 

We've got to keep the literacy rate up and purity test for those who couldn't get past "Green Eggs and Ham".

1 hour ago, lanaismamom said:

who knows if this radioactive demo is real? found on disocrd
https://krakenfiles.com/view/Oc7t1wVD1d/file.htmlย radio-active

ย 

itโ€™s made with the unleaked pro tools, the instrumental is real, itโ€™s the one sent by another producer that was then reproduced by Stargate, but the vocals have been constructed from the various files in the folder

ย 

i remember someone admitted to making it, as the protools areย supposedly just a load of vocal takes, the demo instrumental and a couple of final bounces

On 5/4/2023 at 4:23 AM, AllForYou said:

agree! I think she really does care but tweeting stuff like 'you have to be mentally ill to be a cop' after hearing about something like george floyd is so tone deaf, especially when she wants to be a mental health advocate too. imo what doesn't help her is she never tweets any charity links (she actually has a charity of her own!!) but she'll make political songs, vs someone like charli who doesn't sing political songs but had a load of lgbt+ links pinned during pride month. it comes across like she wants to profit off the songs but not actually be political, like going to the hotel in man's world after it was released like it was no big deal.

since when did she have her own charityย :illumarina:

UtrMWJM.jpg

~Mon amour,ย ย je sais que tu m'aimes aussiย ~

24 minutes ago, lanasugarysweet444 said:

What's the real final of Scab and Plaster?

Itโ€™s 4:38 and doesnโ€™t have a fade out outro, itโ€™s been used as a reference on the matd wiki if youโ€™re looking for itโ€ฆ

12 minutes ago, Jaeden xx said:

since when did she have her own charityย :illumarina:

Great Plan Fund

9 hours ago, AllForYou said:

itโ€™s made with the unleaked pro tools, the instrumental is real, itโ€™s the one sent by another producer that was then reproduced by Stargate, but the vocals have been constructed from the various files in the folder

ย 

i remember someone admitted to making it, as the protools areย supposedly just a load of vocal takes, the demo instrumental and a couple of final bounces

ย 

Still, the demoย demo is this one:

https://dbree.org/v/6f3c5fย 

original.gif