Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

On 5/7/2023 at 10:10 AM, FkaIl said:

Radioactive is still the best song she's ever made

That Maxi CD Single, I miss those days. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

2 hours ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Charli throwing shade to Marina on TikTok… I can’t :thumb::thumb3:

I mean, Marina was so petty lol

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

22 hours ago, LunaeManifestum said:

it was such a nonsense situation back then

Yeah, I hate that it happened, because I love them both so much. 

It's very interesting to hear the discourse about Marina being political in her music because it feels like most people mark it as a distinction that happened somewhere later into her career, but I felt like one of the things that astounded me about her sound back in the early 2010s was her outspokenness. For me personally, I think what's changed is that her lyrics feel so on the nose nowadays. Electra Heart is an explicitly feminist album, and TFJ is very critical of popular culture in the West (and how that affected coming of age of a millennial woman). It feels almost as if her life has ran out of the drama that fueled EH/TFJ, and she has to now draw upon those impersonal experiences in her songwriting to make vague statements about the human race and far away countries. FROOT was a good album, and L+F was kind of faceless, but both albums feel like she held back as a means to prove (perhaps to herself?) that she's no longer that crazy girl wearing the blonde wig, masquerading as a Stepford wife. Ancient Dreams on the other hand felt like an attempt to recapture the drama of her earlier career, though that felt very transparent and it didn't quite meet those expectations. I think that the best thing for Marina to do is surround herself with interesting people and experience life at its fullest, and that's when we'll get music that reaches her early days. I truly believe that Marina's career could re-peak again, but that's up to her. She's seemed to have settled down, so I'm expecting the best we'll get is a cute bop on a mid album here and there. That's fine. After the pain she went through that fueled TFJ/EH, I don't blame her for safeguarding herself. Though sometimes I do fear her insecurities have burnt bridges (cc: familiar FROOT)...

On 5/3/2023 at 5:23 PM, AllForYou said:

agree! I think she really does care but tweeting stuff like 'you have to be mentally ill to be a cop' after hearing about something like george floyd is so tone deaf, especially when she wants to be a mental health advocate too. imo what doesn't help her is she never tweets any charity links (she actually has a charity of her own!!) but she'll make political songs, vs someone like charli who doesn't sing political songs but had a load of lgbt+ links pinned during pride month. it comes across like she wants to profit off the songs but not actually be political, like going to the hotel in man's world after it was released like it was no big deal.

where's jess when we need her :trisha:

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

On 5/13/2023 at 2:00 PM, howtobeaheartbreaker said:

It's very interesting to hear the discourse about Marina being political in her music because it feels like most people mark it as a distinction that happened somewhere later into her career, but I felt like one of the things that astounded me about her sound back in the early 2010s was her outspokenness. For me personally, I think what's changed is that her lyrics feel so on the nose nowadays. Electra Heart is an explicitly feminist album, and TFJ is very critical of popular culture in the West (and how that affected coming of age of a millennial woman). It feels almost as if her life has ran out of the drama that fueled EH/TFJ, and she has to now draw upon those impersonal experiences in her songwriting to make vague statements about the human race and far away countries. FROOT was a good album, and L+F was kind of faceless, but both albums feel like she held back as a means to prove (perhaps to herself?) that she's no longer that crazy girl wearing the blonde wig, masquerading as a Stepford wife. Ancient Dreams on the other hand felt like an attempt to recapture the drama of her earlier career, though that felt very transparent and it didn't quite meet those expectations. I think that the best thing for Marina to do is surround herself with interesting people and experience life at its fullest, and that's when we'll get music that reaches her early days. I truly believe that Marina's career could re-peak again, but that's up to her. She's seemed to have settled down, so I'm expecting the best we'll get is a cute bop on a mid album here and there. That's fine. After the pain she went through that fueled TFJ/EH, I don't blame her for safeguarding herself. Though sometimes I do fear her insecurities have burnt bridges (cc: familiar FROOT)...

Fully agree with this take.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

it’s been 2 months since her last poem, not sure if I’m glad or not…

I would like to see her thrive again even if this thread seems like I don’t. her last poem was better than the first though still had flaws, and she’s always picked questionable singles so I thought this might be the case with her poetry too. 

I think she’s just living an LA life and trampling wildflowers and not caring (yes she said there was a patch of dirt but that was probably made by previous visitors trampling the flowers for Instagram)

Is Marina's Electra Heart Twitter account a known thing? https://twitter.com/mizelectraheart

Created in December 2010, but she never used it I guess

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

39 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Is Marina's Electra Heart Twitter account a known thing? https://twitter.com/mizelectraheart

Created in December 2010, but she never used it I guess

never seen that one, but she runs the marinasmarilyn one (only on Twitter not the Instagram one of the same name), it was was briefly active in 2019. 

that’s where we got this meme from:

8 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

so whens she doing another froot moment bcurzzzzz 200.webp

I don’t know but my froot is fearful the next album will either be very good or very bad…I think I’m leaning towards the latter, sorry marina love you 

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

omg she’s going to release a sequel to Electra Heart as a full length visual album? 2LP box set with high budget music videos, her best lyricism and vocals, and some of the biggest names in the industry on production? Wow. We really won :hair:

Omg and she’s going back to the bleach blonde look? She’s literally coming to end lives oh my god :beyonce:

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce: