Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

25 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

kinda wanna sell my froot box set because im not the marina fan i used to be but im too attached to that album because i love it so much :bebe:

keep it! you're not a marina fan but a marina and the diamonds fan:true:

6 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

keep it! you're not a marina fan but a marina and the diamonds fan:true:

the way this is actually the truest thing ive ever seen in this thread ur so right 200w.webp

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

21 hours ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

omg she’s going to release a sequel to Electra Heart as a full length visual album? 2LP box set with high budget music videos, her best lyricism and vocals, and some of the biggest names in the industry on production? Wow. We really won :hair:

Omg and she’s going back to the bleach blonde look? She’s literally coming to end lives oh my god :beyonce:

Good luck finding that high budget you speak of

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

honestly I've said this before that (acting like she's a real person) I don't think electra heart is 'dead' as she's deffo the type to gone girl fake her own death but I'm not sure that I trust marina to really pull that off? the 'retro electra heart' collection or whatever in 2019 was not it, yes it had some really good ideas like the silk gown, and the pinafore was a good idea, but the lime green 'bubblegum bitch' logo? when has electra heart ever been lime green? she was so desperate for that to colour scheme to work in the L+F era.

also the venus fly trap interpretation of electra heart... no ma'am, what's with the 1920s hair and brows? I know she used to jump around with the timing of electra heart, some of it was very 1950s but she called the radioactive video '70s americana', but 1920s it was not. there was one look in the venus fly trap video that screamed electra heart to me, and I know it was meant to reference the family jewels, but the 60s look gave me 'electra heart's gone into telemarketing' vibes. a subtle nod to big stars/it girls often forgotten about and left to the wayside once they got 'old'.

2 hours ago, AllForYou said:

'electra heart's gone into telemarketing' vibes

I can’t describe how hard I cackled at this-

4 hours ago, AllForYou said:

honestly I've said this before that (acting like she's a real person) I don't think electra heart is 'dead' as she's deffo the type to gone girl fake her own death but I'm not sure that I trust marina to really pull that off? the 'retro electra heart' collection or whatever in 2019 was not it, yes it had some really good ideas like the silk gown, and the pinafore was a good idea, but the lime green 'bubblegum bitch' logo? when has electra heart ever been lime green? she was so desperate for that to colour scheme to work in the L+F era.

also the venus fly trap interpretation of electra heart... no ma'am, what's with the 1920s hair and brows? I know she used to jump around with the timing of electra heart, some of it was very 1950s but she called the radioactive video '70s americana', but 1920s it was not. there was one look in the venus fly trap video that screamed electra heart to me, and I know it was meant to reference the family jewels, but the 60s look gave me 'electra heart's gone into telemarketing' vibes. a subtle nod to big stars/it girls often forgotten about and left to the wayside once they got 'old'.

Marina probably would never go back to Electra Heart. I mean, she has a hard time singing stuff from past, when people were asking for bubblegum bitch music video the answer went straight to "no." with a "you can't go back to your past", and this is recent\during Ancient Dreams.

I don't even think the Venus Fly Trap reference was mean to be "so straight", she probably just pushed it from the same references that she used to build Electra Heart back then but... not a real "call back". And deep down, it's the kind of thing that should be left behind. It is iconic and mythological for a reason.

Ugh I do miss her serving concept.

The only time Marina resurrected Electra was after backlash of L+F. Apparently she will go back to her whenever things go wrong.

And Venus Fly Trap thing was obviously just a joke.

original.gif

i would've enjoyed purge the poison more if she called out the UK with their crazy history of colonization instead of praying for God to "forgive america for every single war". there's defo a LOT of things to say about the united kingdom and i wish she could focus a bit more on her country. i respect her penchant for america but i genuinely think she could do great things when it comes to calling out her homeland. maybe that'd be risky since the monarchy seems to still be this huge thing, but you know what that would make her work genuinely controversial and thought-provoking. i think that would be refreshing and i really need something new from marina. if we're gonna be political then let's just do that to be honest

1 hour ago, 14n4 said:

i would've enjoyed purge the poison more if she called out the UK with their crazy history of colonization instead of praying for God to "forgive america for every single war". there's defo a LOT of things to say about the united kingdom and i wish she could focus a bit more on her country. i respect her penchant for america but i genuinely think she could do great things when it comes to calling out her homeland. maybe that'd be risky since the monarchy seems to still be this huge thing, but you know what that would make her work genuinely controversial and thought-provoking. i think that would be refreshing and i really need something new from marina. if we're gonna be political then let's just do that to be honest

Couldn't agree more with that. Not only the UK, but European countries should share the blame for what they did/do. 

America is far from perfect but so are other countries, and at that point, it just feels like an easy target. I mean, she risks nothing pointing out sexism and racism in there. Everyone does it and there are little to no repression thanks to freedom of speech. There are so many more worse countries, but it would be riskier to call them out and it seems she doesn't have the balls to do so. Which leads me to think she doesn't want to be controversial: she simply wants approval.

And, hey, I'm fine with that, not everyone can handle being authentic and divisive. What bothers me is how she seems to think she's actually doing something... When she's really going nowhere by being a people's pleaser. :toofunny: 

She's always struck me as narcissistic, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes her sound out of touch everytime she attempts writing universal shit. The poems give me the feeling she's back on writing from past, personal experiences though. I'm genuinely excited for what's next. 

2 hours ago, 14n4 said:

considering she's welsh yeah I think she should deffo call the english out, it's not like it's not deserved. I bet marina doesn't even speak any welsh, who's fault is that? the english for trying to eradicate it. :true:

in regards to the monarchy, the majority of people in the uk do not give a shit about the monarchy and just want to be able to afford food/bills atm. it wouldn't hurt her career at all, especially as her fanbase is mostly the demographic of wanting to get rid of the monarchy. in wales, people were posting anti-monarchy/independent wales posters during the coronation, ofc that gets squashed cause the news won't report properly it in mainstream media, they arrested peaceful protesters for literally nothing before the coronation. if this was a non-white country then people would be calling it out as some kind of horrendous dictatorship.

whilst we can all have opinions on american politics (and god knows it's an easy target), to me (though I'm not sure how much my non-american opinion counts) it just flops because she chose to live there. she chose to live in a country that 'fucked with the food chain' with weird tasting food and lower food standards than the UK/EU, and on top of that she has the privileged option of simply opting out with her wealth and buying organic/grass fed whatever the fuck. which many people, all over the world, do not have especially rn.

edit: as she's also greek, she could shine light on that, she spoke about it briefly in an interview one time but anti-greek sentiments, especially after their economy crashed went up. she said she doesn't experience that sort of thing first hand because she looks white, but this is something she's actually experienced and seen happen to people she loves first hand.

2 hours ago, 14n4 said:

it's a mix of her late-30s white LA lady wokeness and her obsession with america imo 

9 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

we can all have opinions on american politics (and god knows it's an easy target), to me (though I'm not sure how much my non-american opinion counts) it just flops because she chose to live there. she chose to live in a country that 'fucked with the food chain' with weird tasting food and lower food standards than the UK/EU, and on top of that she has the privileged option of simply opting out with her wealth and buying organic/grass fed whatever the fuck. which many people, all over the world, do not have especially rn.

Omg THIS. I wrote something similar at first but couldn't quite word it so I deleted. 

She does sound really hypocritical hating on America while living her best life there :toofloppy:

18 minutes ago, Mash Tragic said:

Couldn't agree more with that. Not only the UK, but European countries should share the blame for what they did/do. 

America is far from perfect but so are other countries, and at that point, it just feels like an easy target. I mean, she risks nothing pointing out sexism and racism in there. Everyone does it and there are little to no repression thanks to freedom of speech. There are so many more worse countries, but it would be riskier to call them out and it seems she doesn't have the balls to do so. Which leads me to think she doesn't want to be controversial: she simply wants approval.

And, hey, I'm fine with that, not everyone can handle being authentic and divisive. What bothers me is how she seems to think she's actually doing something... When she's really going nowhere by being a people's pleaser. :toofunny: 

She's always struck me as narcissistic, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes her sound out of touch everytime she attempts writing universal shit. The poems give me the feeling she's back on writing from past, personal experiences though. I'm genuinely excited for what's next. 

100% agree!! she'll sing these songs but she won't speak out on any political opinions on her platform, and sorry for bringing this up again in the case of her going to the hotel in man's world, I think that really just cemented that she doesn't believe in what she's saying. she made money off that song, got positive attention for making it and using an all female team(!!), then brazenly went to it despite the boycott. if she had just... not posted pictures of herself there then no one would have known she'd gone, but she's gotten what she wanted by that point.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, AllForYou said:

I don't think Venus Fly Trap was ever really supposed to be "revisiting past eras". It'd be cute, but then the credits identify the blonde Marina as 2 different characters, and there isn't another brunette one to fill in for ADIAML. :toofloppy: the whole concept of the video is reflecting different points in film history. the blonde look was supposed to look like a silent film star:

Mothic Flights And Flutterings, Marion Martin (aka “Hollywood's Blonde  Menace”) -... Anita Page | Silent film, Most beautiful faces, Classic movie stars

and then it fades to color, we see the Harvey Weinstein T-shirt and reds/yellows, now linking that reference to the aesthetics of Quentin Tarantino:

Tarantino-Top-10-2.jpg

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

8 minutes ago, FkaIl said:

I don't think Venus Fly Trap was ever really supposed to be "revisiting past eras". It'd be cute, but then the credits identify the blonde Marina as 2 different characters, and there isn't another brunette one to fill in for ADIAML. :toofloppy: the whole concept of the video is reflecting different points in film history. the blonde look was supposed to look like a silent film star:

I was referring to this tweet and I'm pretty sure she made another reference but I can't find it, obviously on it's own I would not be like 'OMG ELECTRA HEART' as you say it's homage to 1920s film for this character and other iconic movie moments, but it's because of her own tweets I mentioned it

9 hours ago, AllForYou said:

I was referring to this tweet and I'm pretty sure she made another reference but I can't find it, obviously on it's own I would not be like 'OMG ELECTRA HEART' as you say it's homage to 1920s film for this character and other iconic movie moments, but it's because of her own tweets I mentioned it

She was joking just to get more views on this video... the film is obviously a reference to a female archetype in mass media throughout ages. Sure, Electra might live somewhere in an alternative universe but the way fandom thinks those three Marinas in VFT video represent TFJ, EH and FROOT are sooo delusional.

What the "fucked with the food chain" line was supposed to be tho....stanning this woman gets more and more tiring.

original.gif

2 hours ago, LunaeManifestum said:
  Hide contents

UbFYUIB.jpg

I thought Electra commited s*icide

She did; she walks into the forest in Lies to commit suicide by hanging, and there's that shot where she walks behind the trees and doesn't come out on the other side, but obviously Electra Heart (song) depicts it in a more artistic way by having her wipe away the heart liner as her life flashes before her/our eyes

That newspaper graphic is fanmade tho

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina