Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

there was a blog post from one of her old blogs in which the way she talked about the song seemed like it was written in an actually serious tone. i'll try to find it

edit: i found the reddit post that had a screenshot of the blog post but the user deactivated so the picture is now gone. but heres people (including my old reddit account i got locked out of) talking about it lol?

I assume the one you’re talking about is the one on Marina Wiki? https://marinaandthediamonds.fandom.com/wiki/Girls

Anyways, I can see how Girls lyrically is pretty cringey and I’m glad Marina grew out of her I’m not like the other girls phase but the song still slaps, one of my favs by her.

I assume the one you’re talking about is the one on Marina Wiki? https://marinaandthediamonds.fandom.com/wiki/Girls

Anyways, I can see how Girls lyrically is pretty cringey and I’m glad Marina grew out of her I’m not like the other girls phase but the song still slaps, one of my favs by her.

She took it to a level where she literally IS like the other basic charts girls singing over boring DJ-beats with Luis Fonsi :teehee:

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Imagine thinking the obviously ironically written, career defining hit, 'GIRLS' is cringey when Life Is Strange exists

It's not ironically written, it was genuinely her brand of feminism at that time. She has admitted she recognises the internalised misogyny of it now. People can make mistakes and learn from them, you don't need to defend EVERRRRRRRYTHING she does.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

It's not ironically written, it was genuinely her brand of feminism at that time. She has admitted she recognises the internalised misogyny of it now. People can make mistakes and learn from them, you don't need to defend EVERRRRRRRYTHING she does.

This is the same thread I shat on L+F in....

Also I meant ironically written as she recognized the irony in her own words, like you said

yes that one! thank you so much!! and me too.. the original mindset behind 'girls' is probably why she never performs it anymore, either.

not like she performs much off TFJ besides oh no and obsessions anyway  :poordat:

Imagine thinking the obviously ironically written, career defining hit, 'GIRLS' is cringey when Life Is Strange exists

i'm so glad someone else is finally calling out how life is strange is probably her weakest track ever like "i've met so many boys and girls, people all across the world" girl you wrote TFJ you can write better than this...  :facepalm:

like i'm one of the few that loved a lot of l+f but like this song is NOT it.

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

Marina really needs to keep that shit to herself and release a tfj anniversary edition for fucks sake

like she literally made a myspace blog post saying she thought she was better than the other girls cause she didn't yogurt or something?? to promote it... which I don't care, cause it was 2009 and she was an emo wannabe Britney Spears countryside kid in London and its totally fine and it's a BOP

Marina really needs to keep that shit to herself and release a tfj anniversary edition for fucks sake

like she literally made a myspace blog post saying she thought she was better than the other girls cause she didn't yogurt or something?? to promote it... which I don't care, cause it was 2009 and she was an emo wannabe Britney Spears countryside kid in London and its totally fine and it's a BOP

yeah it's very on-brand for where a lot of the popular feminist movement was in the 2000s

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

yeah it's very on-brand for where a lot of the popular feminist movement was in the 2000s

And also it’s on brand with her mindset in the TFJ era

Like Marina has always had that attitude of feeling “superior” to the rest of “people” whether it be girls who diet or pop singers who make shallow pop music, cause that’s who she is, and tbh I love it. It’s petty AF

That’s why I hate that she’s turned into some kind of guru now. Like we don’t fucking care

And also it’s on brand with her mindset in the TFJ era

Like Marina has always had that attitude of feeling “superior” to the rest of “people” whether it be girls who diet or pop singers who make shallow pop music, cause that’s who she is, and tbh I love it. It’s petty AF

That’s why I hate that she’s turned into some kind of guru now. Like we don’t fucking care

She maintained that superior attitude with L&F but the kii is that the music actually became inferior lol

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

literally almost all of the songs from L+F are weak..she declined so much

this is a bit of a lie. Superstar, True, End Of The Earth, Emotional Machine, Too Afraid and Soft To Be Strong are some of her best.

this is a bit of a lie. Superstar, True, End Of The Earth, Emotional Machine, Too Afraid and Soft To Be Strong are some of her best.

i think both superstar and true are sonically & lyrically disasters... but yes, i can at least agree that EOTE, EM, STBS are some of the stronger songs off L+F. too afraid lacks lyrically and sonically like superstar and true, but i can kinda overlook it since its such a relatable song.

i wouldnt say any of the ones you named have entered the "best marina songs" category for me, they all kinda are lacking an Mmph Factor imo.. i think handmade heaven is the best song off the entire album. i wish it wasnt first tho since it sets the bar really high and none of following songs ever really come close to that level again lol

handmade heaven is the only song that i could ever see entering my top 10 fave marina songs. maybe EOTE on a good day...

i think both superstar and true are sonically & lyrically disasters... but yes, i can at least agree that EOTE, EM, STBS are some of the stronger songs off L+F. too afraid lacks lyrically and sonically like superstar and true, but i can kinda overlook it since its such a relatable song.

i wouldnt say any of the ones you named have entered the "best marina songs" category for me, they all kinda are lacking an Mmph Factor imo.. i think handmade heaven is the best song off the entire album. i wish it wasnt first tho since it sets the bar really high and none of following songs ever really come close to that level again lol

handmade heaven is the only song that i could ever see entering my top 10 fave marina songs. maybe EOTE on a good day...

the production of Superstar does it more for me? i liiiiive for that piano + the chord progression. the chorus lyrics are a bit cheesy? as for True, that is the euro-club bop i didn't know i needed. it's just light-hearted and fun? like it's not too serious and i think that's what's nice about it, because Marina doesn't have *too* many songs like that. the ones i listed are some of my favourite Marina tracks - L+F probably has the most tied with EH that i listen to the most. TFJ has the least amount of tracks i listen to tbh, that album really doesn't do it for me. that's the thing with Marina discography though, she really has brought a different sound to each album and she has such a diversive discography because of it.

the production of Superstar does it more for me? i liiiiive for that piano + the chord progression. the chorus lyrics are a bit cheesy? as for True, that is the euro-club bop i didn't know i needed. it's just light-hearted and fun? like it's not too serious and i think that's what's nice about it, because Marina doesn't have *too* many songs like that. the ones i listed are some of my favourite Marina tracks - L+F probably has the most tied with EH that i listen to the most. TFJ has the least amount of tracks i listen to tbh, that album really doesn't do it for me. that's the thing with Marina discography though, she really has brought a different sound to each album and she has such a diversive discography because of it.

ahh i see what you mean. true has a nice sound, and i wouldn't mind the production much on superstar or true if the lyrics were just stronger tbh. and i totally agree. thats something i admire about this album, even if it is her weakest, she still changed her sound up and didnt give us anything we'd expect from her!