Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

1 minute ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

Like you, I hope for something a little crazy, like in her "and The Diamonds" period, but I think she doesn't want that anymore, she doesn't want to be an extravagant artist anymore ( judge the simple and basic name of Marina, the look, the more serious side and her age). I hope she won't lose all the magic and perfection that made her reputation that said, she can surprise us and take us far with little.

I definitely agree that the "seriousness" or whatever we'll call it is a natural evolution. Tracks like Solitaire and Gold have definitely emphasized where Marina's mindset is coming out of the Electra Heart era. It all feels very natural and organic right now; it just feels like there are some growing pains in the unique qualities that we all adore, and maybe a delay for Marina getting into the right mindset to make music again. Plus, between Froot and L+F I'm sure Marina wasn't in the best mindset considering how everyone tried to meme her for being anti-technology, for being "broke", etc... So it makes sense that she was second guessing herself during the production. I think a strength of Marina's is that her psyche shows through in each of her releases, which felt very absent in L+F.

12 minutes ago, veinsineon said:

I mean I had been the kind of fan to only listen to a handful of songs before FROOT, 2015 was just a great year for concepts and FROOT was, and is, one of the strongest and most lavish concepts ever! THAT is what made me stan. It all started with I'm A Ruin believe it or not :flutter: and also a good friend who used to run @Lona.Delery and Merna Dimandis LOL

Personally, I don't see Froot necessarily as conceptual as everyone else does, but I do enjoy how she put it all together as a personal album with a lovely aesthetic. Ultimately, though, I think that the Electra Heart era was a very "you-had-to-be-there" sort of era though...like yes, it is still enjoyable in hindsight, but I think the fanbase's hyper-critical view of Marina and her album concepts (namely, the L+F debate) is definitely a result of experiencing this rollout in real-time. I know personally at least I would not regard EH so highly if I hadn't seen the concept unfold in real-time. As I said in my response to Enchanted Mansion, I think Marina's psyche is very evident in her creative endeavors, and being a stan from the start-to-end of the era during EH allowed us to see a true psychological journey (that honestly many of us as teenagers were experiencing during our tumblr days) that feels unsurpassable. Without this bias, I would understand why L+F might not feel like such a drop in quality.

---

I do think the release strategies of EH and Froot were definitely ahead of their times. The PART 1: FEAR & LOATHING♡/Monthly Froot strategies are so unintentionally tailored for the 2020 style strategy of just dropping a bunch of singles to lead up to a drawn out album release.

This is such an UnpopOpin, but I actually really love L+F & it's my second favourite Marina album :toofunny:  It makes me upset to see the constant bashing of it, I think it's lovely! I will say though, I think a lot of the dislike comes from it being such a long album, similar to how Lust for Life is received (which is also my 2nd favourite Lana album, 3rd though if we're including AKALG) I think it would've been much better received by fans if some of the tracks were excluded. There's so many highlights on the album, and if the tracklist was cut a bit shorter with some of the "filler" tracks removed, I feel that fans would've really loved it.

I don't think I ever posted it here before, but here's my track ranking (which also seems to be unpopular), with #1 being my favourite track - 

Spoiler

1. End of the Earth

2. Superstar

3. Karma

4. You

5. Emotional Machine

6. Believe in Love

7. Life is Strange

8. Enjoy Your Life

9. Too Afraid

10. Soft to be Strong

11. To Be Human

12. Handmade Heaven

13. Baby

14. Orange Trees

15. True

16. No More Suckers

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

On 8/17/2020 at 9:58 PM, landeath said:

So... months ago the MvS EP with the alternate tracklist was shared by a user called pissychu and I realized that ''Horror Pop'' has a different version on it.

The links will be bellow but I think it's definitely the second version of this song since it was burned in lossy on its orginal CDr (the other tracks are real lossless). She probably re-mixed the song and saved it in lossy since the other version (which we already had in FLAC) has a lossless burn..

v1 (track 2): https://dbree.org/v/727052

v2 (track 5): https://dbree.org/v/5f3af9

Underrated song!

yOu aRe A hAwRrAW yOU ARE a HawRrAw

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

8 minutes ago, Elle said:

This is such an UnpopOpin, but I actually really love L+F & it's my second favourite Marina album :toofunny:  It makes me upset to see the constant bashing of it, I think it's lovely! I will say though, I think a lot of the dislike comes from it being such a long album, similar to how Lust for Life is received (which is also my 2nd favourite Lana album, 3rd though if we're including AKALG) I think it would've been much better received by fans if some of the tracks were excluded. There's so many highlights on the album, and if the tracklist was cut a bit shorter with some of the "filler" tracks removed, I feel that fans would've really loved it.

I don't think I ever posted it here before, but here's my track ranking (which also seems to be unpopular), with #1 being my favourite track - 

Reveal hidden contents

1. End of the Earth

2. Superstar

3. Karma

4. You

5. Emotional Machine

6. Believe in Love

7. Life is Strange

8. Enjoy Your Life

9. Too Afraid

10. Soft to be Strong

11. To Be Human

12. Handmade Heaven

13. Baby

14. Orange Trees

15. True

16. No More Suckers

End of the Earth is one of Marina's discography highlights imo. Such a beautiful track and definitely the highlight of the record.

I've always hated the whole thing of there only being 2 emotions, love and fear, cause literally there aren't, it's so dumb,, emotions are way more complex than that not everything u feel is either love or fear like huh?? Anyways, I've always liked this album and still like it, but now over a year later I never really listen to it from front to back. The production sounds kinda dated and bland and a lot of the lyrics are corny. HOWEVER, End of the Earth, Handmade Heaven, Believe in Love and Emotional Machine are amazing songs that I still listen to a lot. I also sometimes listen to Orange Trees cause it's just a cute summery bop but other than that none of the other songs have managed to age well for me. I still like most of them but I don't go out of my way to listen to them.

qfrWuBl.png

4 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

The name "Marina" sounds so basic. I loved it with "the diamonds" . :poordat:

Honestly my biggest issue since her "comeback". Even if she wanted "and the diamonds" out, Marina Diamandis is such a stricking name, why just leave it as Marina...

自由になる自由がある

13 hours ago, konnichiwalski said:

Honestly my biggest issue since her "comeback". Even if she wanted "and the diamonds" out, Marina Diamandis is such a stricking name, why just leave it as Marina...

Marina Diamandis definitely sounds good. Much better then just "Marina". 

I love seeing praise for End of the Earth... it’s def in my top 3 favorite Marina songs EVER. That song should’ve been the blueprint for the entire album & it could have been her best record... love in the midst of an apocalypse. The production also gives me some outer space vibes... it’s truly next level. Did anyone ever find which movie it was intended for? 

14417469274.gif

9 hours ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

I love seeing praise for End of the Earth... it’s def in my top 3 favorite Marina songs EVER. That song should’ve been the blueprint for the entire album & it could have been her best record... love in the midst of an apocalypse. The production also gives me some outer space vibes... it’s truly next level. Did anyone ever find which movie it was intended for? 

never heard that it was intended for a movie, but it makes sense. Glad you see the outer space vibes too, it makes me feel like I'm in the cover after of Froot lol.

On 19/08/2020 at 17:40, howtobeaheartbreaker said:

Je suis tout à fait d'accord que le "sérieux" ou peu importe ce que nous appellerons cela est une évolution naturelle. Des morceaux comme Solitaire et Gold ont définitivement mis l'accent sur la façon dont l'état d'esprit de Marina sort de l'ère Electra Heart. Tout cela semble très naturel et organique en ce moment; on a juste l'impression qu'il y a des douleurs de croissance dans les qualités uniques que nous adorons tous, et peut-être un retard pour Marina dans la bonne mentalité pour refaire de la musique. De plus, entre Froot et L + F, je suis sûr que Marina n'était pas dans le meilleur état d'esprit compte tenu de la façon dont tout le monde a essayé de la mémoriser pour être anti-technologie, pour être "fauchée", etc ... Il est donc logique qu'elle soit se deviner pendant la production. Je pense qu'une force de Marina est que sa psyché transparaît dans chacune de ses sorties, qui se sentait très absente dans L + F.

You are right on this point.
Her best albums were made when maybe she wasn't well, and now she's at peace with it, so she doesn't need to express herself so much. I hope the fact that L + F didn't work (let alone the previous ones) won't put her off.